~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Hey ladies! Just got back from Jamaica! My twists held up great even through the salt water and a strong water fall! I love these things.

I can't wait until my hair is longer so that I can wear twist. I dont feel comfortable wearing ms ceely twist on my almost 4 inch hair.

I'm now 4 months natural (11 months post relaxer). I'm super excited about being 1 year post relaxer next month. I did another BC after my initial BC and I did a trim this week but it was necessary.

DSC_07922-vi.jpg
DSC_832-vi.jpg
DSC_0032-vi.jpg

^^ Nubian twists
DSC_0044-vi.jpg
DSC_0018-vi.jpg

^^ Nubian twists in the back, natural hair in the front
DSC_00111-vi.jpg
DSC_0008-vi.jpg

DSC_0726-vi.jpg

^^ Mini twists on natural hair. I did my bangs 4 days before I did the rest.

I'm having so much fun with my hair! I can't believe how different my hair can look. It's hands down my favorite accessory. I've only had one day that I thought I wasn't going to make it. :blush:

With all the cutting it's about the same length 5.5 inches but that's exactly right for 11 months. My next milestone is March 7 (my original BC date).

Lessons learned so far:

• Oil rinses save lives (long story)
  • WnGs can be scary (also a long story)
  • Let it dry. I've been so anxious to see if a particular style worked that I'd been taking it down while my hair is still damp. Um, that's a recipe for failure.
Happy growin'!

Has anyone attempted a twist in curl on shorter hair before? I'm rather intrigued.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

Trying to catch up on this thread. It's been a LONG time. Too long. I kind of fell off on my hair game towards the end of school and it's been really hard trying to get back on track. I straightened for graduation (against my own senses and advice from ladies here):spank: and suffered some heat damage *sigh* so now I'm trying to figure out how to get my hair back in shape. It's gotten a lot thicker but is still breaking off horribly at the ends so I'm not retaining any length. I'm really depressed about it because September is my 1 year natural anniversary and I was hoping to have something to show for it and was on track until I decided to let that man use that marcel iron in my hair :wallbash:

Anywho, looking good ladies! @sareca, I'm in :love3: with your twists. They look fabulous!

I'm thinking of refreshing these twists when they start looking older and wearing them throughout the summer. I'm wondering if this would be damaging to my hair? Any input ladies? Washing them is so carefree and easy and I'm not ready to let go of them at all!

Platinum: I PM'd Nonie for advice after I posted that question in here and that was her response she posted in that thread! :D Thanks for your help

Big chopped again! My hair was already short (because I just big chopped a few months back), but I wanted my hair to be cut in a style, so this is how it turned out.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

here is how im wearing my hair now for the next week and a half.:grin:

my hair is in mini twists again but i decided to do something different because mini twists were starting to get a little boring. so i realized that mini twists...after my 1 yr anniversary, will become my go to style but i may incorporate some cornrows or flat twists as well to keep them interesting.

in 2 weeks...yarn braids here i come! so excited.:spinning:

Attachments

My second attempt at twists on dry hair. No product except shea butter on ends.

ETA: I think I will dunk my head in the shower to see if that will make them act right. They are going every which way but down:lachen:

Attachments

• 4 months post bc in twists.jpg
    4 months post bc in twists.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I have no idea what to do with my hair anymore. I do NOT want to flat iron, twist won't stay at the top. Anywho, I've added some new comparison pics in my siggy from April 2011 to July 2011.

What's up ladies?

So I'm walking in the library and this older black guy walks in behind me and was like "excuse me...is your hair natural?!"

me: "Yes, it is!"

him: "It's beautiful!"

me: :grin: thank you!

him: yea, my sisters *shakes head* all this straight hair, yellow hair *shakes head* just killin themselves

me: (on the inside I was :lachen: ) lol....... :look:

him: well stay beautiful!

me: thank you!

:lol: :lol:

So girls, I have a question...

How does your hair feel when you airdry with just leave-in/oil/butter on your hair?

Because I'm dc'ing and cowashing almost every day and when my hair fully dries, it feels dry. And when I play in it, it sounds like someone walking through grass. Does ya'lls hair make any kind of sound when you play in it? :perplexed

pookaloo83 Why you gotta laugh at me? :lachen:

Okay, so it went away the longer your hair got? I really like the conditioners I'm using (Enso, BFH, Hairveda, etc) so it's just frustrating that my hair is still looking thirsty. :lol:

So girls, I have a question...

How does your hair feel when you airdry with just leave-in/oil/butter on your hair?

Because I'm dc'ing and cowashing almost every day and when my hair fully dries, it feels dry. And when I play in it, it sounds like someone walking through grass. Does ya'lls hair make any kind of sound when you play in it? :perplexed

When I don't use any leave-ins it sounds like a crackling fire.:lol:

^^^ :lachen: :lachen:

I can't even imagine how many brush fires I'd start if I didn't use a leave-in! :lol:

Now that yall are natural, are yall using protein conditioners at all or is all about moisture from now on?

And I'm shedding. I don't like seeing curly Q's everywhere. I figured a good protein conditioner would help or do I need moisture?

Now that yall are natural, are yall using protein conditioners at all or is all about moisture from now on?

And I'm shedding. I don't like seeing curly Q's everywhere. I figured a good protein conditioner would help or do I need moisture?

Maybe try a light protein conditioner and see if that helps.

From what I understand, protein can actually enhance the curl pattern and, of course, help with breakage. :yep:

My hair loooves protein now and I can definitely say that it makes the curls come out of hiding. :lol:

OndoGirl I have the same problem, if I twist, they go in every direction possible. try pinning them down. i used to twist my hair dry, using just a touch of gel or aloe vera and then would poin the twist down in the direction i want it to lay. give it time to set (like over nite.)

for me, i find i get better results when i have more hair, like 4 inches or more.

I color my hair so I do an Aphogee treatment after every color application and as I see fit any other time. I then follow with a Deep condition.

I'm considering installing kinky twists myself. I have some concerns:
washing/cowashing/dcing - frizziness
matting of real hair and fake hair
fake hair drying out or shredding real hair (i have fine strands)
weight on edges

Any tips from those who've worn them before? Platinum StephElise Foxglove and othee who have experience with extension twists (kinky/senegalese/etc) Feel free to also share your routines, self-installation tips and what you do to keep the frizzies at bay.

I'm considering installing kinky twists myself. I have some concerns:
washing/cowashing/dcing - frizziness
matting of real hair and fake hair
fake hair drying out or shredding real hair (i have fine strands)
weight on edges

Any tips from those who've worn them before? Platinum StephElise Foxglove and othee who have experience with extension twists (kinky/senegalese/etc) Feel free to also share your routines, self-installation tips and what you do to keep the frizzies at bay.

andromeda I've had both Kinky and Senegalese twists. I absolutely :love: Senegalese twists! I followed the Crown and Glory method and it did wonders for my hair (good growth and retention, little or no breakage). I still cowashed almost every day but I didn't shampoo. I clarified with baking soda and water in an applicator bottle. I didn't have the frizzies until toward the end because I tied my hair up at night with a satin scarf. Hope this helps.

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

Back