~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

OK! SO I tried something different last night! After I cowashed, I didn't use EcoStler gel. Instead, I used Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie! Worked like a charm! :grin: it basically gives me the same definition as EcoStyler gel, but without the stiffness! :yay: I will be using this method again!

My hair dries soooooo fast. I'll get out of the shower, wrap a towel around it, then 2 mins later when I take it off, my hair is like 70% dry! So when I cowash today, instead of putting a towel around it, I'm going to try the smoothie on it while it's soaking wet. :D

I've been trying to find a loctician in my area that does loc extensions. The prices are outrageous! I even looked for locticians in other cities, hoping that I would find a better price. One lady in ATL is charging $600 for neck-length locs and as much as $2500 for midback locs. I guess I need to learn how to do it myself. I'm also thinking about doing 2-strand twists on my own hair and just letting it loc up on its own.

I am totally failing at the wash and go. I don't like walking around with wet hair/scalp and my hair doesn't feel as moisturized as I'd like. Unfortunately, my hair is not long enough to put it all in a ponytail. I am getting my hair retwisted tomorrow! Can't wait! (My hair is so dense. I probably didn't detangle properly. I just did not have the patience.)

For those of you who wear twists often, how do you maintain your ends and keep them from knotting up?

Finished cutting off my relax ends..18 months of transitioning.. June 19th made 1 week Natural.. I been playing around with some styles and my hair candy (accessories) Now I been in the BSS and looking for all types of hair acessories..

I took some cowrie shells chokers and spruced up my afro puffs and hairstyles.. I have cornrows and twist in now.. Got the style from Tiashauntee from You-tube she has some cute protective styles.. My hair is no way as long as hers but I made itwork..

Attachments

• TwistOutI1.jpg
    TwistOutI1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 64
  • TwistOutI.jpg
    TwistOutI.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 59
  • TwistOutWithAccessories.jpg
    TwistOutWithAccessories.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Twist.jpg
    Twist.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 56
  • WashnGoPuff.jpg
    WashnGoPuff.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 50
Well, I finally did some mini twists. Then I decided to just go ahead and trim my hair. I know it's probably way uneven but my ends feel so darn good now! This is the second time I've trimmed in the past few weeks, I made my SO hide the shears for awhile since I've taken off about 3 inches so far. I'm charging my camera now, pics of mini-twists to come.

OK! SO I tried something different last night! After I cowashed, I didn't use EcoStler gel. Instead, I used Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie! Worked like a charm! :grin: it basically gives me the same definition as EcoStyler gel, but without the stiffness! :yay: I will be using this method again!

My hair dries soooooo fast. I'll get out of the shower, wrap a towel around it, then 2 mins later when I take it off, my hair is like 70% dry! So when I cowash today, instead of putting a towel around it, I'm going to try the smoothie on it while it's soaking wet. :D

qchelle Glad it worked for you! I happened to try this today too, and it gave me a very, very soft hold--much softer than I expected. I applied my smoothie while my hair was soaking wet, though. Lately it's been taking my hair a LONG time to dry--when I do wash n-goes, certain parts of my hair will stay wet for over 4 hours.

I'm going to try mixing the smoothie with ecostyler...

My mini-twists.

DSC03025-1.jpg

DSC03028-1.jpg

DSC03029-1.jpg

DSC03024-2.jpg

Wassup guys! Been wearing twistouts daily, but will be doing mini twists next week! I have fine hair, so I hope it comes out looking decent.

I am trying a bantu knot out on my dry twistout that was an epic fail. i had to retwist it because i used scurl for moisture but it was still wet the next day, so i sealed in the moisture w some oyin burnt sugar and hopefully it will set my hair. so hopefully it will dry by tom....wwish me luck!

Gonna try to do some mini twists this weekend too. How do you guys prepare your hair for it? Lightly blow-dry? Stretch with braids or big twists? anything? :drunk:

@Trini_Chutney love the fullness of your hair with the twists. They look great.

OT: Don't you just love the writers for Dexter! I finally finished Season 5 and it was awesome.

StephElise, thanks! Girl, I LOVE that show! I was so heart-broken that Rita died like that :nono:. Can't wait for the next season!

Trini_Chutney, Great job on your twists!:clapping: I'm thinking more of doing the same thing but just letting mine lock.

Platinum thanks! Are you going to do regular locs or sister-locs? My mom started her locs as well as my brother's by doing that. I love locs but I think I would get a serious side-eye at work :lol:.

Gonna try to do some mini twists this weekend too. How do you guys prepare your hair for it? Lightly blow-dry? Stretch with braids or big twists? anything? :drunk:

PYT, I stretched my hair by twisting in big twists and banding them in a ponytail.

Y'all my hair is really uneven :lachen:. I'm not even mad though, I think the cut will help my growth and retention in the long run.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not,
(and if it has, apologies)
but in another forum (CurlyNikki)
they are saying July 4th is
National Afro Day!

Anyone here considering participating?

Just made 6 months natural today! Woosh, glad I made it! I'd take some pictures but I just put some singles in! Can't wait to see what the next 6 months bring! Thank you for all the ideas an support ladies!

Don't post much in this thread but I just celebrated 3 months natural, BCed March 19 of this year. I've been a little intimated of my hair and it's been in and out of sew-ins since I BCed and I've been seeing sooo many people who transitioned the length I have or shorter and have so much growth after 3 months. I'll be taking my sew-in out tonight and plan to start wearing my hair and getting a regimen down packed. Hopefully I can muster up the courage since I'm not used to short hair on me. It's been 3yrs since I last cut my hair. I'll post some pics comparing my hair if I see a change or not. Also anyone good with hair typing? I would really like to know my hair type or a good guess of it.

Trini_Chutney I haven't decided yet but I'm leaning toward sisterlocs. I like them kind of thin.:yep: Maybe the thickness of a pencil.

One of my trucker friends has been loc'd for about 10 years. He's about an equivalent to bra strap length unstretched, and WL stretched (longest loc being nearly Hip-length). He's very supportive of my decision, most of my friends as well as my Mom are like :perplexed :nono: :ohwell:. My youngest daughter has offered to twist my hair and maintain it (probably do the interlock method) if I decide to loc it.

hey all!! im back after a while to say i have gone back to relaxer june 6th after 20 months relaxer free. natural was just not for me. i loved my curls but hated the way the curly hair looked on me. i found myself constantly putting heat on it to straighten and it was doing more damage than good. all you ladies look fabulous, keep up the good work!!! gonna slowly try and make my way back to bsl, almost APL now. HHG!!

Back