~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I oil rinsed again and detangled with a shower comb for the first time. then I used my new baby love, giovanni direct leave in and sealed with crisco and slathered on my ecostyler custard and put it in braids. PRAYING it's fully dried in the morning.

Who's been combing their hair w/ a TWA? I haven't fully combed my hair in about 3 weeks.

I see no point if it aint long enough. I might use a pick to fluff it up but my hands do all the work.

Is that bad? Why detangle hair that is 2-4 inches?

I've realized in 3 weeks that if your hair is moisturized, then you don't need anything to make your curls pop. The more I washed my hair and moisturized, the more the curls came out on their own.

All of a sudden these curls started appearing once I got a reggie down. Hair looks different.

You don't even need all that gel, custard, etc. Just some water, moisturizer or leave-in and some oil to seal.

Last night instead of pineappling I did a flat twist n curl on my leftover wash n go using Oyin's Shine & define on the left side and Oyin's Whipped pudding on the right side. I think the Shine & define side looks a little better but the Whipped pudding side feels softer.
They (the oyin people) tweeted that the best twistouts come from using both together but I hate using more than one styling product at the same time.

Left side: Oyin Shine & define
IMG-20110621-00107.jpg

Right side: Oyin Whipped pudding
IMG-20110621-00108.jpg

pookaloo83
I had to go look it up cuz I couldn't remember what I used anymore :giggle: I mentioned it in this post, but I bleached random parts of it to do some foil highlights using 20 developer and Wella bleach powder from Sally's, then I dyed it using L'oréal Medium reddish brown (5RB):

I think they look pretty similar too, the only reason why I see a difference is because I know I did something different on each side. If I had to repurchase just one, I'd pick the shine n define since it gives me nice wash n gos as well.

Just wanted to share my style for the week:D

My sister did this for me...I've been WnG'ing the loose hair...but today I messed with it a lil too much at work lol. It's only 2 days old tho...i'm really loving 'hawks on me lately.

325909fa-2b13-da8d.jpg

One of my students asked me today: "Miss Jazz. How do you get your hair to curl like that?" It made me smile so big!

I BCed less than two weeks ago after a 7 month transition.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF app

Hi Ladies! I finally BC'ed after a 20-month long transition and am happy to join you all. I actually did the big chop several weeks ago, but my subscription had ended so I couldn't post then. I'd say I'm a 4a. Unfortunately, I still don't have a regimen. The first few days after the BC, I wore my hair mostly in a wash and go, but at the end of the day, my hair would be dry and crunchy and my scalp was still a bit wet. So, I decided to get my hair twisted (less manipulation and frustration). I left them in for 2 weeks and am now wearing it in a twist-out. I'm seriously hoping this twist-out will last till the end of the week. I haven't washed my hair since putting them in and have just kept it moisturized. I saw a tutorial on curlynikki on how to rinse a twist out and am thinking about trying that in the morning.

Attachments

• Photo0384-1.jpg
    Photo0384-1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo0396-1.jpg
    Photo0396-1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo0440-1.jpg
    Photo0440-1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo0448-1.jpg
    Photo0448-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 62
hi every1
i just bc'd two days ago, then I hid my hair in crochet braids that i did myself. i'm not sure about walking around with 4 - 5 inches of hair on my head, especially as my head is rather large. but we will definitely see. I can cornrow my hair though, so it cant be that short, though i dunno, it maybe shorter than 4 inches. i'm just happy to stop the wait with the transistioning, which i found annoying. I dont regret bc'ing but i'm not overjoyed either. i want to be natural because relaxers always burn me, i got hyper sensitive after 35, not even sensitive relaxers can stay on my head, so i was done. will be checking in to see how everyone is doing, and trying to get inspiration.
psst my husband doesnt know i chopped it all off.

Nuelle - Very nice length for a BC. I tried to hang in there for 2 years but I just couldn't. Love the twist out look. The last one looks amazing!

Nuelle : Welcome to the club! :grin: I didn't get a regimen down until nearly 1.5 years AFTER my BC. No worries, it will come when it comes :) Beautiful hair you have there!

Who's been combing their hair w/ a TWA? I haven't fully combed my hair in about 3 weeks.

I see no point if it aint long enough. I might use a pick to fluff it up but my hands do all the work.

Is that bad? Why detangle hair that is 2-4 inches?

Yeah I won't be combing that much...I finger comb though

Nuelle - Very nice length for a BC. I tried to hang in there for 2 years but I just couldn't. Love the twist out look. The last one looks amazing!
Thanks, TruMe! For months, I kept going back and forth about doing the BC and I'm so glad I finally did it. I think twists will be my summer style.

Nuelle : Welcome to the club! :grin: I didn't get a regimen down until nearly 1.5 years AFTER my BC. No worries, it will come when it comes :) Beautiful hair you have there!
Thanks, -PYT! Oh wow, that is both reassuring and worrisome at the same time :lachen: I wish I could skip the experimenting phase and just easily come up with a simple regimen. Already drawing up my list of things to get.

Zaz... What do you use for your wash n gos. Our hair texture seems similar and your results are always pretty.
I want to try on in a couple of weeks.

Zaz... What do you use for your wash n gos. Our hair texture seems similar and your results are always pretty.
I want to try on in a couple of weeks.

Skiggle
I use a bunch of different products depending on my mood. These days I'm using Karen's body beautiful's Sweet ambrosia as a leave in with Curl's Whipped creme as a styling products.

But I have a whole thread where I showed my hair using different styling products and it pretty much looks the same no matter what I use.

My daily routine is to cowash, then I towel blot my hair a bit and apply my leave in/moisturiser. Then I add my styling product and shake it out. The whole thing takes me less than five minutes to do.

I am henna-ing my hair for the first time tonight. I am using 2 packages of Celebration Henna from Mehandi. I used aloe vera juice instead of ACV or lemon juice in my batch. I let it sit for about 12 hours and it changed colors from green to red-brown. It was sort of a mess to apply, but I finally got all my hair coated and Saran-wrapped. I will post pics in the morning. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my gray will be red instead of orange!

ETA: My grays ARE orange LOL! :lachen: But, I love it! I will be doing it again in 6 weeks.

Attachments

• P6250446a.jpg
    P6250446a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 60
  • P6250445a.jpg
    P6250445a.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 55
  • P6250442a.jpg
    P6250442a.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P6250444a.jpg
    P6250444a.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
welcome alll new comers!!!!:welcome:

i took my mini twists out because they were sooooooo fuzzy! which is a little weird seeing as how i was able to keep them in for four weeks with no problems. but i was only able to keep them in for a little over two weeks. so now im rockin a twistout, which is cool...it still had some swang, actually a lil more swang because my hair was fuller and it looked like i had a bunch of curls all over.

now i have it in a puff...i will post pics of my hair with the twistout in a few....i actually like the puff and want to keep it in that style for a week but i dunno if that will be counterproductive or not...:nervous2:

oh and i used some flaxseed gel that i made and put them on my twists before i took them out and my hair is still soooo soft and moisturized!!! :love5:this might be a new staple...any excuse to be in the kitchen!

ETA::help2: i need some styling ideas for the next 6 weeks. i have an event at the end of july and didnt want to put yarn braids in for that event because i will be taking lots of pics aaannnddd dont want to look like i did last year at the same event. i dunno if that sounds anal but i basically want a new look without too much work.:cry4: i dont want mini twists, and i dont want to put a straight weave in because the humidity will make me look like chubaka:nono2: and i dont have the funds to get the hair i REALLY want which is afro kinky curly from realhairesxtensions. so i need a style!!!! i was thinking of some chunky twistouts because i always look good with that but i need some styling tips on twistouts! thanks guys and HHG!

I'm in need of a basic regimen. I'm finding myself overwhelmed...can someone please provide a few starter tips? I just BCd a month ago after transitioning for a year prior. What styles besides a fro are common for 3-5 inches?

I am LOVING this ecostyler custard for everything hair related I swear. Had the BEST braidout yesterday but ended up sweating it out and so put it up in a puff. Wore a puff today as well but did a braidout on dry hair for a braidout tomorrow. Will probably do a twist out tomorrow before washing again sometime next week. I need to remember to do a protein treatment too.

HEre are the pics of my twistout from my mini twists. i ended up putting it in a puff since its been hot out. but this is probably the first puff that ive liked on me since being natural.

im getting ready to detangle it and put it in big twists so that i can get ready to wash it and put some chunky twists in, im going to be trying out naptural85's technique on youtube.

i will post pics of how it turned out!

Attachments

Lately, I've been rinsing my hair then applying Giovanni Direct leave-in mixed with EVOO and airdry into a style. I'm not sure how long I can continue this regimen but I'm loving the time I'm saving.

Well here is some progress. I took my kinky twists out this weekend and washed my hair. I'm gonna wear my hair out for the first, well third time since I've been natural starting tomorrow. But anyway, the pics...

Excuse my fake pouty mouth please. Both of these pics were on wet hair no product
July 2010 and June 2011 fro
111.jpg

close up of my twists, I wish I could find another pic of them but I think when I first went natural they unraveled b/c my hair was so short so I started doing plaits
1-5.jpg

these pics are plaits and the last are of twists. You can see the difference in thickness. I don't know if its a fair comparison b/c the first two are plaits and the last pic is twists
July 2010, Jan 2011 and June 2011
e834b7a7.jpg

that white stuff is coconut oil. for future reference it'll always be coconut oil, the white stuff in my hair lol

I definitely need to wash! my hair is flaking from a bit too much product. Had a NICE braid out today, when talking hair with my SO I talked about straightening my hair in winter and he told me not to, he likes it curly. Which was a BIG relief, he was NOT on board when I cut my hair. He has definitely noticed my growth. Tonight I applied my sulfur mix and just wet my hair to retwist so i'll have a nice twistout for tomorrow.

Back