~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I think I'm going to take the twists out in the morning and rock a twist out. Not sure how it'll look, but we'll see. If it looks a mess, I'll slick it back into a bun of course.

My 18yo DD's big chop :grin:

Attachments

• 257433_10150206726231304_736516303_7176975_1227177_o.jpg
    257433_10150206726231304_736516303_7176975_1227177_o.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 83
  • 259078_10150206725741304_736516303_7176974_2834143_o.jpg
    259078_10150206725741304_736516303_7176974_2834143_o.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 258202_10150206726731304_736516303_7176979_1922301_o.jpg
    258202_10150206726731304_736516303_7176979_1922301_o.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 82
My family has been making negative remarks about my hairstyles lately. I am so style-challenged. Might go back to donut buns or possibly flat iron for the first time. :ohwell: :perplexed

HEY guys! hope all is going well!. Its been a week since ive had my mini twists in and plan on leaving them for the next 3 weeks. they have already shruken and i dont really mind it because ive been using moistuirzing products that contain water, which is to be expected.:yep:

Im thinking if i should do my yarn braids a few weeeks after i take these down. it just takes sooooo long to do! but i do need to start doing a style that will keep me form contantly playing in my hair. :perplexed

other than that...i do my official length checks every 6 mos just so that i wont drive myself to crazy. i cant never really tell unless its been a couple of months so the next one will b in november!! not to mention, didnt get to do one in may since i had a weave in....mayb ill do one at the end of the summer :). Im hoping for APL by November!!:pray:

HHG!

ZkittyKurls Where are the:look::lol: pics

Thanks to everyone who answered my question :yep:! for those who are not satisfied with their hair now.. what new techniques/procedures wil you implement to get the results by years end?!

I'm happy to report my nape is a couple inches from APL. I really do think I'll be APL by the end of the year, well my nape will be anyway. I took a row of my twists out and just stretched to see how long it was

I'll be getting a press in a couple weeks

My family has been making negative remarks about my hairstyles lately. I am so style-challenged. Might go back to donut buns or possibly flat iron for the first time. :ohwell: :perplexed

Don't change things just because a couple of people are making negative comments, if you like your hair they'll get used to it eventually (or not) but you can't please 'em all.

Since I went natural, I have a cousin who looks at me when I'm ready and goes, oh... you're done :lol:.
At first it made me feel a bit insecure and I'd rush to make excuses like you see what had happened was, I'm using this new product, I just dyed my hair, I just got back from vacation and the chlorine... and I'd always end it with "it doesn't usually look this way".

But now I'm like *** it, I'm not having a bad hair day, this is just the way my hair looks and I think I look cute when I'm not around her so I'm sure it still looks fine in front of her in spite of her comments :yep:

Last edited:
I got my long awaited straightening and trim today. My hair is now 10.5 inches in back and 10 in the front. I am pleased with 6 inches of growth per year and being able to retain at least 4 inches per year.

I included some pics from my last straightening in December 2010.

Next week I will be using henna for the first time:yay:

Attachments

• P6170431a.jpg
    P6170431a.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 71
  • P6170432a.jpg
    P6170432a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 72
  • P6170434a.jpg
    P6170434a.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 75
  • PC030807 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    PC030807 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 75
  • PC030808 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    PC030808 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 76
I got my long awaited straightening and trim today. My hair is now 10.5 inches in back and 10 in the front. I am pleased with 6 inches of growth per year and being able to retain at least 4 inches per year.

I included some pics from my last straightening in December 2010.

Next week I will be using henna for the first time:yay:

Alta Angel GORGEOUS and so straight! She didn't use any rollers?

I posted this in the everyday hair thread as well, but here's my fro in between installs. :yay: I'm weaving it again today, this was my hair yesterday. :grin:

24lliz5.jpg

Hi ladies... I just recently bc'ed (June 8th I believe). I'm learning to embrace the coils and find out what works best when trying to make my curls pop.

Right now I'm using KCKT and KCCC, but I really want to find a new conditioner to co-wash with. I am using Pantene Relaxed and Natural, which worked well when I was holding on to dmaged relaxed and colored hair. Now that I'm natural, my hair feels "coated" after I rinse. It feels soft, moisturized, but coated (if that makes any sense whatsoever, if it doesn't, don't mind me, I'm probably just overthinking it).

If any of you ladies have any suggestions for co-washing conditioners, please throw them out there. I Love Aussie Moist as well, but I'm thinking I may run into the same issues as I do now with Pantene. Another user suggested Trader Joe's or Aubrey organic's HSR (although I don't know how much it costs and the goal is to go for a cheapie co-wash conditioner, so let's keep that in mind when making recommendations lol).

Ok, I rambled on enough, looking forward to the responses.

OH, wait, one more rambling:

Has anyone used SheScentIt's Curly Girl line? I'm interested in the conditioner, souflee and buttercream... Thanks again.

*closer*2*my*dreams* I just use cheap VO5 conditioners or Suave Almond Shea butter conditioner. Also rinsing your hair at the end with cool-cold water helps me get rid of the coating problem.

And most importantly we like pics in this thread ( :look:Well, I do)
:lol: Welcome to the natural side!

Rinsing with cold water 'eh?! Maybe that's what I'm missing. I'm co-washing in the shower and I like my hot showers... I'll co-wash in the shower, but leave the conditioner in. Once I'm done bathing, I'll lean in under the faucet and let the cold water do it's thing.... Thanks for the suggestions.... I haven't tried suave/V05 since I first joined the board. it would be refreshing to go back and see how my natural hair responds.

I forgot to add pics... I did a thread a few days ago, but my work computer wouldn't upload all the photos. When I get home this evening, I'm going to have my bestie take some pics of my hair and I'll try to upload them using my personal laptop (guess I shouldn't be uploading hair pics to my work computer anyway... lol... I bet the IT department is like "wtf"!"....

Hi ladies... I just recently bc'ed (June 8th I believe). I'm learning to embrace the coils and find out what works best when trying to make my curls pop.

Right now I'm using KCKT and KCCC, but I really want to find a new conditioner to co-wash with. I am using Pantene Relaxed and Natural, which worked well when I was holding on to dmaged relaxed and colored hair. Now that I'm natural, my hair feels "coated" after I rinse. It feels soft, moisturized, but coated (if that makes any sense whatsoever, if it doesn't, don't mind me, I'm probably just overthinking it).

If any of you ladies have any suggestions for co-washing conditioners, please throw them out there. I Love Aussie Moist as well, but I'm thinking I may run into the same issues as I do now with Pantene. Another user suggested Trader Joe's or Aubrey organic's HSR (although I don't know how much it costs and the goal is to go for a cheapie co-wash conditioner, so let's keep that in mind when making recommendations lol).

Ok, I rambled on enough, looking forward to the responses.

OH, wait, one more rambling:

Has anyone used SheScentIt's Curly Girl line? I'm interested in the conditioner, souflee and buttercream... Thanks again.

Aussie moist or trader joes nourish spa are my favorite cowash conditioners
Aubrey organics HSR is a good moisture DC but it's too expensive and rich to cowash with IMO

ETA welcome to the natural side!

Took out my mini twists. Now I have extra large twists in my hair. They are not the neatest :ohwell:.. I'll probably keep my hair like this and then do a twistout next week..Nite!

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 28
So my hair has never snapped back after I straightened a piece in the back. I did a piece on each side, but the piece on the right that I did is relaxer straight. I mean I really burnt my hair. Glad I didn't do the whole head. :nono: Now since that has happened, I'm scared as heck to straighten. I did not use heat protectant when I did it though. Just looking at Alta's pics makes me want to straighten so bad. Have not seen my hair straight since I've been natural. It's been 1 yr and 2 months.

pookaloo83 Oh no! You are going to have to do a protein treatment asap! What setting did you have the flat iron? Is your hair super fine?Did you blow dry, too? Please, next time use a heat protectant or serum!

pookaloo83
I too am scared to straighten my own hair because I am afraid that I will burn it. My stylist specializes in natural hair straightening and I have gone to him for two years, but I still breathe a sigh of relief after that first wash when my hair curls back up again. I am going to try some rollersets in the future to straighten my hair. Maybe you can try that in the meantime...

So my hair has never snapped back after I straightened a piece in the back. I did a piece on each side, but the piece on the right that I did is relaxer straight. I mean I really burnt my hair. Glad I didn't do the whole head. :nono: Now since that has happened, I'm scared as heck to straighten. I did not use heat protectant when I did it though. Just looking at Alta's pics makes me want to straighten so bad. Have not seen my hair straight since I've been natural. It's been 1 yr and 2 months.

pookaloo83 hey im sorry to hear about ur hair...a protein treatment might get ur hair back into shape. i use aphogee protein reconstructor, its a piece of work but it gets my hair feeling stronger than ever! Hope that helps a lil

No I tried all kinds of protein treatments and nothing. My hair is super fine and was just trying to do a length check. I used the chi on 400. :blush: then went over it with a maxiglide because I thought it wasn't straight enough/ :nono: I don't know what I was thinking.

Aww pookaloo83 sorry to hear that. How long has it been since you flat ironed? My hair took a good week to go back to "normal". Is there any wave to it at all? If nothing else like you said at least it wasn't your whole head. Keep us updated.

Don't give up until you do an aphogee 2 step and a beer rinse

Ladies that are beyond the SL to APL purgatory phase,

How long did it take you to get to APL after your chop? I was EL/NL when I chopped in Feb and just claimed SL. I'm hoping I can get these last 3 inches by the end of the year. Is it possible?? Was it easier to obtain the length natural vs relaxed?

NikkiQI transitioned for roughly 2.5 years and I'm claiming APL in June.
I had to do a cut after my chop ( like neat ends) and I am tall 5'7.5-5'8.
Wow that was great progress!
Are you shortie btw?
Anything is possible with the right regimen and protective styling.
I had APL hair once as a relaxed child, but a stylist cut it off
to neck length because the length was not "child appropriate.":perplexed

pookaloo83 I agree with Alta Angel roller setting seems like a safer route! Please, baby that part of your hair and keep us updated!

@NikkiQI transitioned for roughly 2.5 years and I'm claiming APL in June.
I had to do a cut after my chop ( like neat ends) and I am tall 5'7.5-5'8.
Wow that was great progress!
Are you shortie btw?
Anything is possible with the right regimen and protective styling.
I had APL hair once as a relaxed child, but a stylist cut it off
to neck length because the length was not "child appropriate.":perplexed

I'm pretty average (5'6".5-5'7" on a good day)

Back