~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I have to say I love how easy it's been this month with these twists in. They've been in for about a week and a half and have been in updos. I'll probably start wearing them down for week 3 then I'll think of taking them down around week 4

I'm totally jealous! Mine aren't making it past a week. Even though they're small, they're just not small enough to go the distance :nono:

I'm totally jealous! Mine aren't making it past a week. Even though they're small, they're just not small enough to go the distance :nono:

These ones are starting to get fuzzy which is why I want to start doing a wash and go with gel on them next week. The wet twists with gel end up making them looking a little fresher for a little longer

I FINALLY finished my hair this morning at 1AM. I have been working on my hair since SATURDAY!!!!!!!

I really like how my twists turned out, but I have a problem. Several twists have product that didn't dry clear all gooped up on them . Has anyone ever used a damp cloth/towel and wiped down their twists? I'm thinking about doing this, but I don't know whether it will work or not.

So we are six months into the year (hair):lol: now.. I wanted to know if you ladies are satisfied with growth and overall health of your hair?Avaya I put my blow dryer on cool and dry the twists that way..

Last edited:
Hey ladies would I be considered natural if I have maybe some areas that still have relax ends.. I keept cutting & cutting and everytime I see new relax pcs.. Its not long relax pcs..

Last edited:
Hey ladies would I be considered natural if I have maybe some areas that still have relax ends.. I keept cutting & cutting and everytime I see new relax pcs.. Its not long relax pcs..

No, you are not officially considered natural until ALL relaxed or processed ends are gone; even if the amount is like 10% of processed hair left, until the hair is chopped, one is technically still growing out.

Doesn't really matter how long the pieces are, if there is a substantial amount, then you aren't "fully natural." That's just my OP. Maybe some others will chime in, because I'm sure opinions are SURE to differ.

---------------

I have my hair braided right now in small cornrows (no extensions added) in a mohawk style. I love that I only paid $10 for them too! My scalp is hella tender since I got well into my transition and since I've been natural. I believe that is due to not applying a caustic chemical regularly.

Either way, I expect the braids shall last about 1.5 months, then I will rock a braidout or braidout updo for a while. I wash while in these cornrows with diluted shampoo and light conditioner once per week (I use lots of oil on my scalp and braid spray). After these, I look fwd to doing another length check in Aug/Sept. I want to straighten for a wedding in September!

Last edited:
@NikkiQ I think my twists are prettier wet!
The only "setback' to this style is the amount of time it takes to do the twists itself. Otherwise than that.. I love this style..:drunk:

Those are twist.. They are beautiful.. They look like small coiled curls.. not twist.. Looking at this makes me want to give it a try.. When I do fat twist they unravel..

So we are six months into the hair now.. I wanted to know if you ladies are satisfied with growth and overall health of your hair?@Avaya I put my blow dryer on cool and dry the twists that way..

Eh I can't really tell if there is much growth going on since my hair is always in a shrunken state.

So we are six months into the year (hair):lol: now.. I wanted to know if you ladies are satisfied with growth and overall health of your hair?[MENTION=4009]Avaya[/USER] I put my blow dryer on cool and dry the twists that way..

I'm satisfied with the health, thickness of my hair. It seems to be growing pretty fast, too. I just wish for WL so bad! I definitely have hair anorexia, but I'm still glad to be natural...though I long for the length (MBL-WL) of my relaxed/texlaxed days like NOW! :yep: So I'll be doing my usual PS'ing until I reach WL, likely between Jan. and March '12.

**I don't ever plan on drastically cutting my hair again. I hope in a good 3-4 yrs max I will be WL-TBL unstretched (curly).

I think I'm growing and retaining pretty nicely. I want to stay on top of these SSKs and make sure my hair is soft and healthy. A girl asked me yesterday if I'm growing my hair out :yep: and then asked me what I'm gonna do with it. :look: WEAR IT DUH!

I don't think my hair is growing or retaining very well. Ii've been wearing buns for a very long time.
However, I'm doing my first cassia treatment very soon and am hoping this will strengthen my hair.

So we are six months into the year (hair):lol: now.. I wanted to know if you ladies are satisfied with growth and overall health of your hair?Avaya I put my blow dryer on cool and dry the twists that way..

Health yes. Growth no but I've always been a slow grower

I'm pretty satisfied but sometimes I worry because most naturals seem to shun wash n gos and I do get a fair amount of SSKs :ohwell: But I seem to have retained a decent/average amount so I'm not concerned enough to start changing my ways yet.

Well I don't know if it's the Houston heat or the fact that I started using MT on my hair, but it has been acting really weird. Not holding moisture and not defining like usual. I may having been putting too much MT on the length of my hair and this may have contributed to the rough feeling on my ends. I have since then decided to stop using it on my length and to wear my hair in conrows for a while. I'll only apply the MT to the parts/scalp. I needed to give my self a break from my hair and to give my hair a break from me. We'll see how long this will last.

I'm satisfied with health but not with growth.:sad: I was hoping to be APL by now, the year isn't over yet so we'll see. I'm really considering the possiblity of locking my hair. I'm probably going to try loc extensions within the next month or so. If I like it, then I'll probably continue.

I'm kinda tempted to go a length check at the end of the month, but totally scared crapless that I'm gonna be uber disappointed. Bleh!

Should've joined this thread ages ago! SMH. But I BC'd last year in August. I was about 7 months post. Here I am almost a year later...YAY! I'll post pics later!

Today, I did twists on dry hair & they swing when i shake my head! It may seem small to some of you all with longer hair but normally when I do twists they shrink up to my head hardly move at all. (I'm mostly 4a with a whole lot of shrinkage!)

Debating on how long I'm leaving these twists in though..I already look young & i'm sure twists don't help the cause. :rolleyes:

Anywho, :bighug: HEY YALL!

HEY guys! hope all is going well!. Its been a week since ive had my mini twists in and plan on leaving them for the next 3 weeks. they have already shruken and i dont really mind it because ive been using moistuirzing products that contain water, which is to be expected.:yep:

Im thinking if i should do my yarn braids a few weeeks after i take these down. it just takes sooooo long to do! but i do need to start doing a style that will keep me form contantly playing in my hair. :perplexed

other than that...i do my official length checks every 6 mos just so that i wont drive myself to crazy. i cant never really tell unless its been a couple of months so the next one will b in november!! not to mention, didnt get to do one in may since i had a weave in....mayb ill do one at the end of the summer :). Im hoping for APL by November!!:pray:

HHG!

13StepsAhead

Here it is:

Saturday- Thursday:
Cowash in four sections
Detangle with shower comb
Rinse all conditioner out
Wrap Turbie-Twist to get some water out
Apply conditioner to each section of my hair
Bun

At night I take my bun down, apply oil to each section of my hair, put it in two twists, and baggy.

Friday:
(Shampooing is optional, when I used 'cones I did it every week, when I don't use 'cones I usually don't shampoo)
Protein treatment in shower for about 5 minutes (Once a month I'll do a cassia treatment instead of the protein treatment)
Deep condition with or without heat for at least an hour
Rinse conditioner, bun, follow usual nightly routine

I didn't mention any products because they've changed throughout my journey but my regimen has pretty much stayed the same. I've been consistent and my hair has thanked my for it. I usually trim about 1/2 inch once a year in December. Sometimes I take a multi vitamin, sometimes I don't. I work out fairly regularly but there are weeks when I don't go at all and weeks when I go every day.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

cch24 :thankyou: I just started bunning and co-washing almost daily and I looove it. So it's nice to see that you are able to have a similar reggie and retain what seems like all of your length.

I bought a comb attachment for my blow dryer, idk when i'll use it though. I just made some ecostyler custard and about to apply it for a twist out puff for tomorrow. Here is my recipe:

3 tablespoons aloe vera gel
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
6 tablespoons argan oil ecostyler
16 drops sweet orange oil

So we are six months into the year (hair):lol: now.. I wanted to know if you ladies are satisfied with growth and overall health of your hair?

I'm pretty satisfied with my growth and health considering that I'm a bit rough with my hair. I think I would be APL if I straightened it. I hope to have at least 2.5 more inches of growth by my birthday (that is when I will do my first flat iron as a natural).

Back