~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

Little tidbits:

1. I've been taking measurements of my hair for 2 weeks (part of a project for class) and during that time my hair has grown half an inch. I am excited!!! I have no way of knowing if that is "good" but I am happy as heck!!!!

2. My gray was showing in the front of my head the other day, so I decided to put my dye in. When hubby came in from work, he walked into the bathroom as I was putting the dye on my head. He said "NO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING"?!?!??! After I calmed from his outburst, I said "MAN, I'm just putting color in my hair". He thought I was relaxing my hair. :lachen: All he saw was the white stuff in the bottle. I love that hubby loves my natural hair just as much as I do.

3. For the FIRST time since being natural, my mom told me "Your hair looks very pretty". I was in shock. So, we came to the conclusion that she just didn't like my natural hair short and teeny weeny-ish. Now that it's big, she digs it!

4. I still can't produce a twist out that I am proud to wear out yet. But you know what....I Don't even care anymore. I will wait until my hair grows more, then reattempt.

5. Hubby and I are going out to celebrate my brother's birthday on Saturday. I plan to rock my fro out like never before! Owwwwwww!

Ok guys! I did my sew-in...all by myself. i used kinky straight hair and i lightly flatironed my hair, but i didnt do anything to the weave itself.

Attachments

• 2011-05-10 15.47.33.jpg
    2011-05-10 15.47.33.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 2011-05-10 18.13.35.jpg
    2011-05-10 18.13.35.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2011-05-12 14.09.01.jpg
    2011-05-12 14.09.01.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 2011-05-12 14.09.18.jpg
    2011-05-12 14.09.18.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 2011-05-12 14.10.10.jpg
    2011-05-12 14.10.10.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 52
Little tidbits:

I've been taking measurements of my hair for 2 weeks (part of a project for class) and during that time my hair has grown half an inch.
:yay:

My gray was showing in the front of my head the other day, so I decided to put my dye in. When hubby came in from work, he walked into the bathroom as I was putting the dye on my head. He said "NO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING"?!?!??! After I calmed from his outburst, I said "MAN, I'm just putting color in my hair". He thought I was relaxing my hair. :lachen: All he saw was the white stuff in the bottle. I love that hubby loves my natural hair just as much as I do.

Cute and sweet!

For the FIRST time since being natural, my mom told me "Your hair looks very pretty". I was in shock. So, we came to the conclusion that she just didn't like my natural hair short and teeny weeny-ish. Now that it's big, she digs it!

Another :yay:

I plan to rock my fro out like never before! Owwwwwww!

Looking at your siggy, that fro should be huge. Take pics - show off

I still have yet to wear my natural hair out not even once. I'm always in half wigs. Last relaxer was August 09, but I've only been fully natural since February. Haven't felt like trying out anything and really can't think of a style I think I'd like.

@ Platinum
Hi Platinum,
Are you still using Mega Tek? If so, have you noticed how much faster your hair grows? Is there any tangling occurring? I'm trying to decide if it is helping my hair as much as I think it is.

@ Andromeda
I've put a pic of my faux orchids and my shell choker as headband. That shrinkage is due to flaxseed gel shingling and no stretching.
mail

mail

Hey. I apologize for not responding to your question. I haven't used Mega Tek in a while, I've been wearing braids and I've been concerned about product build-up on my scalp. I'll probably start using MT again during the summer.

Ok, I'm gonna turn to my girls for support. I've done some searching through old posts, but I'm wondering if anyone lost edges, or messed up their ends from wearing puffs? is there a method to the madness? :ohwell:

Off to do some more searching :)

I didn't lose my edges from wearing puffs but I had breakage in my nape area.:sad:

My daughter graduates in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide if I want to get Senegalese Twists or something else. I'm planning to take out my braids this weekend. I've had this set for about 9 weeks now but I want a fresh style for graduation. It's going to be an outdoor ceremony and I want to have to worry about shrinkage, reversion (from flat iron), etc.

Any suggestions?

I like that. It looks very nice and simple but at the same time can be very eloquent. I love updos.

Thanks for sharing that.
That's exactly what I was going for! :yep: You're welcome.

Little tidbits:

1. I've been taking measurements of my hair for 2 weeks (part of a project for class) and during that time my hair has grown half an inch. I am excited!!! I have no way of knowing if that is "good" but I am happy as heck!!!!

2. My gray was showing in the front of my head the other day, so I decided to put my dye in. When hubby came in from work, he walked into the bathroom as I was putting the dye on my head. He said "NO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING"?!?!??! After I calmed from his outburst, I said "MAN, I'm just putting color in my hair". He thought I was relaxing my hair. :lachen: All he saw was the white stuff in the bottle. I love that hubby loves my natural hair just as much as I do.

3. For the FIRST time since being natural, my mom told me "Your hair looks very pretty". I was in shock. So, we came to the conclusion that she just didn't like my natural hair short and teeny weeny-ish. Now that it's big, she digs it!

4. I still can't produce a twist out that I am proud to wear out yet. But you know what....I Don't even care anymore. I will wait until my hair grows more, then reattempt.

5. Hubby and I are going out to celebrate my brother's birthday on Saturday. I plan to rock my fro out like never before! Owwwwwww!
A half inch in two weeks sounds pretty darn good to me, considering that's the average growth rate for a month. Glad to hear that everyone is feeling your natchal hair as much as you are!!! I can't imagine a bad-looking twist-out on your hair!
Ok guys! I did my sew-in...all by myself. i used kinky straight hair and i lightly flatironed my hair, but i didnt do anything to the weave itself.
Kudos to you bc the thought of doing my own sew-in is sooo daunting, I just can't wrap my head around it. Too much hand-eye coordination needed and too much that could go wrong with the needle. :lol: Anyways, you did a great job. :yep:

My daughter graduates in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide if I want to get Senegalese Twists or something else. I'm planning to take out my braids this weekend. I've had this set for about 9 weeks now but I want a fresh style for graduation. It's going to be an outdoor ceremony and I want to have to worry about shrinkage, reversion (from flat iron), etc.

Any suggestions?
Congrats on your daughter's upcoming graduation! Senegalese twists sound nice.

Did my twists for a twist out this weekend. Hope it comes out okay!

ad8b5381-a018-aa02.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

So I read this article on Naturallycurly.com and convinced myself that I needed a pomade :lol:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/frizz-control/15-must-have-essential-no-frizz-tips?page=2
10. A Pomade is Great for Mid-Day Touch Ups

Pomade is great for controlling frizz and even repelling humidity—if you use the right product. Use these products very sparingly by emulsifying the hair pomade into your palms until it’s barely there. Then skim gently over the surface of the hair, coaxing stray hairs into the natural waves where they are supposed to be. Follow through to the ends for best definition…and don’t forget about the back. Certain pomades combat puffy, frizzy hair. Pomades do not harden in the hair, and because they are rather thick, work well to define the hair while controlling flyaways, which will make your hair appear smoother. Pomades also weigh the hair down slightly, keeping it from appearing so puffy.

Now that I have 2 (and 1 more on the way, don't judge :look:), I'm not sure how to use them properly. Anyone using a pomade? If so how do you use it :huh:

I'm 1 week natural and loving it! I have no regrets. I wish I would have done it sooner! I'm still wearing twist outs. I tried to do 2nd day hair, and that was a failure.... I still rocked it at work though! :)

I'm still learning and experimenting with my hair everyday. I hope it's not to much.

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

My hair is long enough to do a semi sleek puff!!! I had to pin down the short hairs. I am ecstatic! Check my little puff out!!!! :woot:

396727512.jpg

Any suggestions?

You can't go wrong with a tight braid out. :yep:

So I read this article on Naturallycurly.com and convinced myself that I needed a pomade :lol:

Now that I have 2 (and 1 more on the way, don't judge :look:), I'm not sure how to use them properly. Anyone using a pomade? If so how do you use it :huh:

I tried one from bed head. Not only did it not give me hold, my body heat warmed it up and it started dripping down my face and neck as the day went on. I was so embarrassed. I was done with pomades after that :lol:

Might get braids for a while. Or maybe just do an updo with some twists. Need to give my hair a break for a while I think.

Pook your hair is GROWING. What is your regimine? If you've already detailed it somewhere else, point me to the post. I remember when you (reluctantly) big chopped. You have a lot of progress since then. Whatchudoin', girlie? BEAUTIFUL hair.

Pook your hair is GROWING. What is your regimine? If you've already detailed it somewhere else, point me to the post. I remember when you (reluctantly) big chopped. You have a lot of progress since then. Whatchudoin', girlie? BEAUTIFUL hair.

Thanks!
@soulfusion I don't have a regimine really. I wash once a week or when I feel that it's getting too much buildup with Giovanni shampoo. I dc with Aubrey Organice honey suckle rose or the proteing one. GBH or something like that.

I use Qhemets AOHC as a leave in and put my hair in twists daily for twistouts. I don't protective style at all. I need to though. But I don't like it. I seem to be retaining nicely though.

What is the best method to wash natural hair? In the shower or sink? And at what length?

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

In the shower IMO. The downwards motion of the water hitting your head makes detangling a breeze. I just finger comb while the water glides through my hair. Less tangles than doing it in a sink. I like this method for all lengths.

last night I cowashed my hair and my SO thought I chopped again and I had to explain shrinkage to him and when I stretched my hair he was amazed.

also, my nape is a loser texture than the rest of my hair...I feel like it changed overnight almost...

Hey guys i forgot that friday i became 6 months as a natural!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! too bad im all weaved up, but no worries, because i know my hair is safe and sound lol!

I think i plan on keeping my hair, hidden safe and sound at least for the rest of the summer.

Back