~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

I just finished putting in braids for a braid-out. Hopefully they're dry by morning.

Trini_Chutney hope they're dry too and you take pics.

OT: I saw a pic on FB that reminded me of your baby in your siggie. Just too adorable.
227319_10150230051146834_665226833_8476434_1068718_n.jpg

The page is called I Love My Dog.

Keep up the good work everybody!:clap: I haven't done anything lately. Still wearing my afro and headband everyday even though a friend told me that I look like Jimi Hendrix like that.:nono: I tried an oil rinse the other night with olive oil and I think it's a keeper. I think I may have mentioned that I was going to start back on Mega Tek, I haven't yet but I will be mixing tonight and doing my first application since the Megatek craze back in 2008.:look:

@ Platinum
Hi Platinum,
Are you still using Mega Tek? If so, have you noticed how much faster your hair grows? Is there any tangling occurring? I'm trying to decide if it is helping my hair as much as I think it is.

@ Andromeda
I've put a pic of my faux orchids and my shell choker as headband. That shrinkage is due to flaxseed gel shingling and no stretching.
mail

mail

Last edited:
My braidouts take FOREVER to dry. I washed my hair before church yesterday morning and did 6 big braids. This afternoon I wanted to rock a fly braidout and my hair was damp. :sad:

I reached one of my goals today! I was able to make a bun on dry hair without spritzing it and it doesn't look ridiculous!!! Last night I took it out of my bun, applied my oil mix, and put it in two twists under a baggy like I always do. This morning I was able to just pull my hair back and twist it under into a bun. Yayyyyy.

Trini_Chutney hope they're dry too and you take pics.

OT: I saw a pic on FB that reminded me of your baby in your siggie. Just too adorable.
227319_10150230051146834_665226833_8476434_1068718_n.jpg

The page is called I Love My Dog.

Thanks StephElise they weren't dry, LOL. I rocked it anyway, it was moisturized :lick:. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post on my fotki.

That puppy is so ca-uute! I have to post some new pics of Mambo :yep:

**ETA -new pic of Mambo in my siggy \/\/\/

Last edited:
Hey ladies!

So I need the opinion from naturals because I think the transitioners are a bit biased lol

So I HATE doing my hair because it takes soooooo long to wash and detangle. It takes a minimum of an hour and up to 2 hours if I thoroughly detangle to prepare for straightening. I'll be 18 months post this month and have been wondering if things will get easier once I get rid of the relax ends. BCing is on my mind every other day just because I'm sick of dealing with this hair. But I'll be very upset if I BC and learn that it still takes me over an hour to wash and detangle (not including moisturizing and styling). So I guess my question is, if you transitioned long term, did your hair become easier to do once you BC'd and do you think BCing may help me (everyone can answer).
I guess the alternative side is it may just be the length of my hair and maybe cutting back to apl will make things easier. Idk but I'm going crazy!:spinning:

My hair has been in a bun or ponytail for the past two weeks. I haven't washed or detangled other than finger combing because I just don't have the energy to do it anymore:sad:

LaFemmeNaturelle I'd say it was definitely easier after I was rid of my relaxed ends. I was able to use products that catered to my natural hair instead of using relaxed products and hoping they'd tame my new growth. Everything was so new and exciting after I cut. I had a whole new head of hair that didn't have two different textures fighting with each other!

LaFemmeNaturelle I'd say it was definitely easier after I was rid of my relaxed ends. I was able to use products that catered to my natural hair instead of using relaxed products and hoping they'd tame my new growth. Everything was so new and exciting after I cut. I had a whole new head of hair that didn't have two different textures fighting with each other!

Mmmmditto!! :yep:

I've decided I'm not going to flat iron my hair until i'm BSL. But I'll occasionally do blow outs on low heat :yep:

Ok, I'm gonna turn to my girls for support. I've done some searching through old posts, but I'm wondering if anyone lost edges, or messed up their ends from wearing puffs? is there a method to the madness? :ohwell:

Off to do some more searching :)

Ok, I'm gonna turn to my girls for support. I've done some searching through old posts, but I'm wondering if anyone lost edges, or messed up their ends from wearing puffs? is there a method to the madness? :ohwell:

I haven't actually "lost" my edges, but I have very fragile edges so I have to be extra careful when wearing buns, puffs etc. (which, ironically, I love to do :drunk:). Here's a few things that I think have helped me keep the edges I have:

1. lightly spray my hair before manipulating it
2. apply castor oil to my edges before adding gel (keeps it from being so crunchy and castor oil is supposed to thicken hair)
3. use a very soft boar bristle brush for the edges, and a firmer brush for the thicker part of your hair (the crown area)
4. use the scarf method to make edges lay flatter without having to do a lot of forceful brushing
5. wear headbands sometimes so I don't have to have my hair plastered to my head, which means less brushing
6. I also try to limit the amount of times per week that I pull my hair back. I've just come to realize not everyone's edges can take frequent manipulation like that.
7. as far as the ends go, I haven't had many problems, I just try to keep them moisturized and I always braid my hair at night vs. sleeping on my puff-this reduces tangles drastically.

HTH!

Last edited:

I stopped using gel for my puffs bc I realized as the day went on and the gel dried my shrinkage would take effect and the puff would pull on my edges. I could actually see my skin pulled tight around my hairline so I got concerned about losing my edges. I initially started loosening the puff as the day went on but after I stopped using gel on my edges the problem went away. I think using more tension would lead to edge problems

I have some breaking in the front, not from the puffs but from the headbands I loved to rock with them. I see that the breakage happened exactly where the headbands would sit.

Ironically I'm wearing a puff today (failed braid out), but I'm not wearing any headbands and it's a loose puff so I'm not too concerned.

OK, so my braidout was a fail again today. I think I've figured out the problem though, I used my glycerin mix on each section before I braided. Once I took the braids down this morning it looked great, really defined. Once I got to work though my hair had grown like 3 times the size :afro:. I'm assuming its because of the glycerin :scratchch

LaFemmeNaturelle I have found it easier but not easy like my relaxed hair. My natural hair is THICK with a couple different textures and I guess two different curl patterns. I have been wigging for the last three weeks straight and plan on doing so for as long as I can. I'm just not comfortable with my styling options right now.

I am going to do mini twist close to
the end of the month on dry hair.
Should I use gel, shea butter, or Oyin's Burnt sugar Pomade?
I want these to last till the end of June.

So, over the weekend I took out my beehive braid, prepood overnight with Amla, washed/clarified, hennaed and DCd 2x. On Monday, I put my hair in large twists to dry and stretch it in preparation for styling it in smaller twists or something. Anyways, I was feeling under the weather but I had to go out, so I just ended up undoing the twists into an afro, putting on a headband and heading out.

So, as I'm crossing the street, this older man (who's with another man hanging out in front of a house) says very loudly "You have a great evening beautiful" or something like that. I pegged his type and ignored him. (99% of the time I wear headphones and listen to podcasts or music when I'm walking out and about but this was that 1% when I wasn't, so not only did I hear him but I had no plausible deniability in the matter - he knew I heard him.) As I continue walking without acknowledging him, he starts shouting "I'm just as black you! Just cuz you wearing your nappy afro and your [dashiki?] don't mean...You trying to be...!" I continued to ignore him, as he had performed true to type.

Just wanted to share that tidbit. Not looking for "how dare he"s or "i'm sorry"s. It was the first time someone's commented on my hair in a negative context (I didn't find the comment itself to be neccessarily negative).

Anyways, I got around to styling my hair yesterday. I wanted to do something sorta protective. I was tempted to do mini twists a la naptural85 and afrostory but I opted for something low-mani. I followed longhairdontcare's tutorial on jumbo flat twist and did a flat twist wrapping around my head. I left the bottom portion and put in twists to stretch it and then undid and wore the bottom loose.

Then I decided to also do a jumbo flat twist on the bottom half:

and wrapped the loose ends of the twists around eachother and tucked them:

I like how it turned out. The placement of the first jumbo twist and the twisting pattern/consistency could have been better, so I'll work on improving that next time.

:dance7:

Happy Nappiversary!

Thanx girly!!! It feels kinda weird to say "I ain't had a perm in a year!" :lol:

And just think... I was one of those ppl that was afraid to stretch my relaxers more than 10 weeks....and ended up transitioning for 8 months and now I'm all natural at 4 months today.

Stop the madness and get off the bus. :grin:

And it just so happens I got my order from curlmart yesterday. So Reina has her presents already. Lol!

Thinking of doing another twist out attempt this weekend using ms-gg's braid and twist method for better results...and make them smaller of course. Can't wait to see them with the new color!!

Back