~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

andromeda it feels like they venilated this dang wig on a screen for a window or something. I'm going to check out Ozone wigs I hear their lace is soft for they synthetic wigs.

My shrinkage was off the charts this morning! I DC'd last night and rinsed it out and when I went to bed it was about 70% dry but humidity struck sometime within the night and kept my hair from drying. When I woke up it looked like somebody took shears to my head. How in the world does 6 inches of hair shrink down into one inch??? I think when the day comes for me to flat iron I'm going to be in length shock. :perplexed

^^although it seems like a bad thing, its good that your hair shrinks because that lets us all know that our hair is relatively healthy. if it springs back we are in the clear. Hence heat damage does the opposite. :)

My shrinkage was off the charts this morning! I DC'd last night and rinsed it out and when I went to bed it was about 70% dry but humidity struck sometime within the night and kept my hair from drying. When I woke up it looked like somebody took shears to my head. How in the world does 6 inches of hair shrink down into one inch??? I think when the day comes for me to flat iron I'm going to be in length shock. :perplexed

She's you will and it will be nice because you will be much further than you think you are. I rarely straighten my hair. My twists are 1.5" unstretched, 7 to 7.5" stretched and my pressed hair is about 10 to 11".

The one thing I enjoy about the shrinkage is at SL, I don't have to bother about my ends touching my clothes. They aren't anywhere close. :lol:

Did a starter pic for the summer no heat challenge, and I'm claiming shoulder length in the back at least, LOL.
picture.php

You may actually be grazing APL pressed. You passed SL loooong ago. :yep: I definitely think at the end of your challenge you will have met your goal.

You may actually be grazing APL pressed. You passed SL loooong ago. :yep: I definitely think at the end of your challenge you will have met your goal.

I wish, LOL. My DD had that twist pulled pretty taut, but I think I can get pretty closed to APL by the end of the year if I'm good to my hair :grin:.

Hi all! Haven't checked in in a while so here we go
I still have my kinky twists in. Tomorrow makes one month of having them in. I don't know when to take them out. I originally planned to take them out and put mini twists in as I was taking them out since my hair is already parted. How-ever, I finally found shea moisture products in my neck of the woods and I'm dying to try it out. I got the curl enhancing smoothie and the deep treatment masque (both of which I intend to use as leave-ins/butters). Now I don't know if I should just wear my hair loose so I can play with the shea moisture
The problem is I have work and only have one day off in 7 for the next 2 months and I don't want to be stuck with a head half full of twists. Still trying to figure out what to do about that :scratchch

I feel like the twist n curl protective style is going to be what helps me retain the most length. I can't remember the last time I was this in love with a style I did myself, on short hair! Now, it won't be so hard to remain patient while my hair grows!

Hi all! Haven't checked in in a while so here we go
I still have my kinky twists in. Tomorrow makes one month of having them in. I don't know when to take them out. I originally planned to take them out and put mini twists in as I was taking them out since my hair is already parted. How-ever, I finally found shea moisture products in my neck of the woods and I'm dying to try it out. I got the curl enhancing smoothie and the deep treatment masque (both of which I intend to use as leave-ins/butters). Now I don't know if I should just wear my hair loose so I can play with the shea moisture
The problem is I have work and only have one day off in 7 for the next 2 months and I don't want to be stuck with a head half full of twists. Still trying to figure out what to do about that :scratchch

Keep them in, lol

I'm 22 months post relaxer today!!! I'm getting a sew-in in 2wks so I won't have to be bothered with my hair until my 2year mark. I initially planned to flat-iron at my 2 year post mark, but since I incurred light heat damage from just blowing it out I will hold off on the heat for a while. I've been trying out wash-n-gos on the weekend and I finally perfected my braidout. I'm still loving every bit of this natural hair journey.

For those that do twists on your natural hair, do you do full twists from root to tip or do you braid at the scalp then twist like when installing kinky twists? I think I may try that after I take these out.

I had a family event this past weekend and the hotel where we were staying stocked their rooms with Aveda products (the rosemary mint), I tipped the maid a lil extra cuz she gave me 20 conditioners, at 1oz each that's half a liter of product :woot:
I don't even like using anything in the mint family but free is free :look: :grin:

Last edited:
For those that do twists on your natural hair, do you do full twists from root to tip or do you braid at the scalp then twist like when installing kinky twists? I think I may try that after I take these out.

I twist from root to tip but I don't usually wear my twists down. I either wear a twistout or pin my twists up.

NikkiQ I usually do full twists from root to tip but after seeing a post by msgg where she braided her twists at the roots, I'm thinking of trying that method out.

I do mine in twists from root to tip. I've never tried braiding the roots. I may do that next time

Has anyone ever use Cantu Shea butter leave in as a rinse out deep conditioner? While I was at my cousin's house I was lightly scolding her for not owning conditioner (she gets her hair done every week) and she told me it's under the sink. When I couldn't find it she pulled out the tub of Cantu and told me she takes it with her to the beauty salon so they can DC her hair :huh:
I just went out and bought some Aussie moist and left it there for next time I visit.

NikkiQ , I twist from root to tip. I don't have the patience to braid and then twist lol.

In other news, I had a fabulous hair day today:

Twisted%20it%20out.JPG

DSCN2575.JPG

DSCN2584.JPG

Two%20%28edited%20version%29.jpg

Washed last week with Giovanni 50:50. I applied Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Mask and did not rinse it out. It works best for me that way.

Then I applied Shea Moistures C&H Curl and Style Milk, followed by the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I put 50-11 twists in my head that were about the size of a pinky or ring finger:

PSin%20with%20twists.JPG

I left those in for a week and took them out and got a fabulous twist out as a result.

I'm going to keep retwisting and twisting out every day to see how big I can get it to stretch.

NikkiQ I usually do full twists from root to tip but after seeing a post by msgg where she braided her twists at the roots, I'm thinking of trying that method out.

That's where I got the idea from. I'm still a twisting newbie and at my length, just twisting my hair doesn't last very long lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Geez, never thought I'd get here but I've finally done the Big Chop!

• When you BCd 1st May 2011
  • How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd Last relaxer 23 July 2010 (286 days ago)
  • Have you been natural before? When? 1996, then texlaxed. Mom said she hated my hair-was kinda emotional, actually. Went back to relaxing not long after out of habit, I think.
  • Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness This part's interesting! I thought I was a straight up 4a/b but there's some 3b/c at the front and crown too! Mostly pensprings, but a bit of drink straw and pencil at the top. This shrinkage is a b!%@h though! My 4 inches of hair looks like about 1inch right now if I don't braid/twist it. I can get really defined curls if I load my hair up with flaxseed gel, which I did yesterday. Looks crazy short, but the curls are beautiful! I LOVE MY HAIR!
  • Your current regimen Oil rinses using Avocado Oil are my BFF, followed by whatever conditioner I have laying around. When at my SO house, I use whatever he has, which is Dove Conditioner, but usually use Tres Semme Naturals Conditioner. I've done flaxseed gel shingling yesterday and although it made beautiful curls, the shrinkage is more than I like, so I may go back to flat twists. I'm so surprised but even at this short length, sectioning off the hair in braids/twists is still really helpful, especially for applying flaxseed gel. I may spray this puppy up with some H20 now and two strand twist it before my Tango class tonight. I hate lookin' scrappy :drunk:. Monthly I use 1/2 cup conditioner with 2tb Baking Soda and I am due for a henna treatment soon. Going to try yogurt and honey in my henna next time. Night time I know I should be wrapping this stuff up, but I haven't figured out how to not interfere with "affectionate" evenings. (I know, TMI but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be really happy to hear them)

• Your favorite styles So far, my look of choice is a puff (shingled or 2strand twisted) decorated with an ornate headband or silk orchids from the dollar store. My headbands are getting more creative and I'm starting to look for things like chokers and necklaces to use as headbands just to make this stuff look more special. Before, when I had those scrappy relaxed ends, I used to do 2 french braids with a side part decorated with my usual silk flowers. I'll see if I have enough hair to do that still. Also, I was using hair combs to just tuck my hair in a roll all the way around my head. This is good for a quick style if you just have 5 minute to do something to look presentable. Again, I chuck my flower in on the side with a bobby pin and I'm off.
  • Your current length and goal length Current length unstretched 1 inch :sad: stretched, NL or 3 1/2 - 4 inches. Goal length I'd like to start with APL stretched then APL unstretched (at that point probably waistlength stretched). I'll have to see, as I think WL may be too much hair for my little head:grin:
  • Your photo album, if any None yet, but may post a sig/avatar pic once I get a decent headshot of myself.
I'm so happy to discover I actually love my hair (even as short as it is)! I'm so glad my Mom was wrong,:look:my hair is beautiful!

NikkiQ Yeah, in that pic that msgg posted, her hair was pretty short, so I think it would work for you. It also seems like braiding at the root would be helpful in making the twists lay a certain way.

nomadpixie :welcome2: I'm planning on making some flaxseed gel this weekend. How is it being natural in Australia?

I had a "duh" moment this morning while watching naptural85's minitwists video. Stretching twists by wrapping them, like how you wrap straight hair. I've been stretching my twists by banding them in a multi-tiered ponytail but I'm gonna try wrapping them next time.

:wave: Hi ya guyyyyys! :lol:

Been a minute since I stuck my head in here.

Update:

I am on team Wash n Go. I have been doing them everyday and recently acquired the secret of second day hair and even achieved a third day....which was yesterday.

I'm growing out my heat damaged front still. But it does curl a lot more when I shake my hair after applying my products :grin:

This weekend I will be starting CG. (the curl girl method) and I'm SO excited!!!

I just want juicy fat curls. Lol. And eventually waist length hair too...of course!

Back