The BUY NOTHING for June 2008 Challenge

Well PF you know I'm in again. I can't believe what a huge difference this commitment has made for me. I actually behaved myself. Thanks ladies for all the support with the May challenge. This is gonna be great for me.

I'm in. I already restocked, my stuff s/b here tomorrow. I'm going to require much prayer, but the thought of how much $$ I'm going to save is SO worth it! I'm doing this in other areas as well. I will only purchase necessities for the entire month of June. I really need to curb my spending habits. My PJ tendencies run well beyond just hair products...But BBW starts their semi-annual sale on June 2nd. After that, I'll be on restriction. Yep.

I need to be in on this. I show no restraint when in Sally's or the hair sections of any retail stores. :look:

I'm in......I just have to use my 15% Sally's coupon to get:

2 bottles of Proclaim Aloe and Shea Conditioner
2 boxes of ORS No Lye Relaxer

I'm in. I already restocked, my stuff s/b here tomorrow. I'm going to require much prayer, but the thought of how much $$ I'm going to save is SO worth it! I'm doing this in other areas as well. I will only purchase necessities for the entire month of June. I really need to curb my spending habits. My PJ tendencies run well beyond just hair products...But BBW starts their semi-annual sale on June 2nd. After that, I'll be on restriction. Yep.
I like this thinking. This can extend to other areas of life and KISSing can make our whole lives better!

I'm in! My wallet needs a rest, and plus I need to stick to my original goal of using up most of what I have before I buy anything new......

To be very honest (getting a bit deep for a second) I think that I buy products looking for the next great miracle. My hair is healthy, thick and growing - I need to just leave it alone. I have 50-11 things and I don't think I will ever use them all. I've spent thousands ok (maybe not thousands but def. close to a thousand) on my hair since deciding to go natural. Now that I think about it if include the times that I got my hair braided during the transition then yeah its well over a thousand. My hair is what it is...it's frizzy and poofy. I don't think that will change. I have random pieces that dont behave and I have a bunch of textures. I am trying to focus on health than what it looks like. I have three different mousses at home - I don't like mousse so why did I keep buying them. What am I going to do with the ones I have now? It's just madness at times.

I also know that I buy just because I can. I need to save that money for real. I'm a shopper and an impulse one at that. If I give it a few days then the impulse dies down. If I still want it then it's a good deal to get it. I have stuff under the bed, in the bathroom, under my dresser, and two small bins filled with my daily stuff. I just gave a bunch of stuff away to my mom and sister. I know what works and what doesn't I need to stop experimenting with new things. I'm tryin to stop all of that with these challenges.

And with that, she spoke the story of my conversion. I still try out new things every now and again, but unless I've wanted it for at least a month, and am having a hair problem big enough to justify it, I won't even bother if it's over $5.

During the May challenge, I bought silk scarves, two new oils, and a bottle of the old CON (curiosity got the best of me :rolleyes: ). And this is the new me "going crazy".

I doubt I'll be in the June challenge either, although it never hurts to remind the inner PJ who's boss :look: , because if I don't want it a month from now, I won't buy it. If I know I won't make it a staple, I won't buy it. And if it's too expensive to incorporate with regularity, or I can't find it anywhere except the one online site that is always down on Tuesdays (you know what I mean), I won't buy it. This keeps me in check better than asking if I really need something...because the answer to that is always yes :grin:

Okay - I just placed my order at LotionCrafters - had to stock up on my SAA and get some pH strips - I have so MUCH stuff at home that I could be using up, it's still so sad.
I've already placed my order for the re-ups of the Eqyss stuff that I need.
I'm going to stop by the drugstore tonight - get some ouchless bands, and I need/want to swing by the BSS as well, and check out their heatcaps - I really do want one!
And then, a quick stop at the grocery store - I needs more honey & molasses......

Once that's done though, I'll be good to go for June!!!

What are ya'll stocking up on to get you through another month?

Okay - I just placed my order at LotionCrafters - had to stock up on my SAA and get some pH strips - I have so MUCH stuff at home that I could be using up, it's still so sad.
I've already placed my order for the re-ups of the Eqyss stuff that I need.
I'm going to stop by the drugstore tonight - get some ouchless bands, and I need/want to swing by the BSS as well, and check out their heatcaps - I really do want one!
And then, a quick stop at the grocery store - I needs more honey & molasses......

Once that's done though, I'll be good to go for June!!!

What are ya'll stocking up on to get you through another month?

Nothing. I realized today at lunch while I was breaking my neck to get to the BSS that it's only 1 month, not 6! I have more than enough stuff to last me 30 days. You can definitely tell a PJ though because as soon as someone mentions a 30 day freeze on spending, we go out and buy 3 relaxers, 6 bottles of poo and 4 litres of conditioner knowing good and well we won't use it all in a month's time :lachen:!! It's psychological.

Nothing. I realized today at lunch while I was breaking my neck to get to the BSS that it's only 1 month, not 6! I have more than enough stuff to last me 30 days. You can definitely tell a PJ though because as soon as someone mentions a 30 day freeze on spending, we go out and buy 3 relaxers, 6 bottles of poo and 4 litres of conditioner knowing good and well we won't use it all in a month's time :lachen:!! It's psychological.

:lachen: True, true. I don't THINK I'll run out of the 3-4oz of SAA I have in the next month, but there could be a tragic spill, or something! The other stuff, I truly am out of, and there's no good substitute....that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!! :lachen:

i feel the same way you do. i just buy because i can. but heres the real problem. everything i buy works for me so i try to make it seem like "ok, because it works then its not a waste of money." but i use almost everything from keracare, i use and love paul mitchell the wash, redken all soft complete line, and mizani. i also have dominican conditioners and leave ins that i love. nothing that i have is bs:look:. so am i wasting or not? i have no idea.

I don't think it's a waste if it works. I'm still trying to get my reggie down. For me if I find something that works I think I need to have 8 of them at home just in case they stop making it, I lose my job and have no more money, war breaks out in Brooklyn. LOL It doesn't make sense. I need the one I use and one back up. That extra money needs to be an an account earning some compound interest. KWIM

If you buy and it works and you dont have a drawer full then your fine.

ITA...I might get some hair gel. I thought about my previous list of what I should get and I was looking at my stuff today and I'm fine really. I can go the rest of the year without a shampoo or conditioner. (I know I won't because I really want the new RedKen but I'm going to hold off for as long as I can. I try to stay off the hair board and I'll visit the makeup board and OT.) Acutally I won't buy the hair gel- I have some that I don't like but I need to use. So nothing for me. I am going to get some Mega Tek for my mother and sister, for real. That's it.

Question: I need to buy some raw shea butter but won't be able to get in until June 13 when I go to the city (shoutout to the shea butter vendors on 125th...:grin:) Can I get a pass for that?

Question: I need to buy some raw shea butter but won't be able to get in until June 13 when I go to the city (shoutout to the shea butter vendors on 125th...:grin:) Can I get a pass for that?

put the money in a sealed enveloped clearly marked SHEA BUTTER and GET NOTHING ELSE!!!! :grin:

There really isnt much I need to get but here is my list

MT
A hair zing
A 12 ounce bottle with measurements on the sides
Some hair clips
New hairsticks
A relaxer
Heat protectant

I think thats it. :ohwell:

I don't knooooow. I just bought a shower head for my hair and I was supposed to not be buying anything. Since my hair will be in corn rows I HOPE I can do this challenge. Let me think about it.(I sound like those people on Intervention):lachen:

OK, I'm set!
Got everything I need today: Silica, A,C,D Vitamin, MSM, Flaxseed, B Complex, a whole stock of conditioners and deep conditioners, satin bonnet/shower/conditioning caps.. I also got my oils, butters and har accessories through the post.

Last edited:
All I bought off my wish list were 12 cheapie conditioners for my hair, 8 - V05's and 4 Suave conditioners. I usually go through one per week to a week and a half with my co-washes but a little faster when using ayurveda powders. I think 12 should last the entire month of June. If they don't then I'll have to use my tresemme remoisturize conditioners with B5, but I really don't want to use those for regular co-washing.

Hi

I would like to retry this. I won't buy products unless it's for someone else, or a hair emergency like more hair for extensions. I failed so quickly last time. But I work part time and I'm getting few shifts than usual over summer so I can't waste my money.

Sweet!! I have completed my shopping - swung by a BSS and ONLY looked for a heat cap (they didn't have one) then went to Walgreens for the ouchless bands, AND found a heat cap there too - on sale, even!!

:look: I really didn't feel like stopping at the Grocery store on an end of the month payday, so I'll get the honey & molasses next time I go.... but I'm READY for June!!!

There really isnt much I need to get but here is my list

MT
A hair zing
A 12 ounce bottle with measurements on the sides
Some hair clips
New hairsticks
A relaxer
Heat protectant

I think thats it. :ohwell:

Okay I got these plus a new comb and a new head scarf. So I think I'm going to be good and forgo the hair zing until next month. Also they only had an 8 ounce bottle so I'll have to work with that. All and all not bad for me. :grin:

Back