*Spinoff* "The Rules Challenge!--"Rules" girls get in here!

Girl I wouldn't think to deep into it. Girl you know how dumb some guys can be :yep: He probably was thinking "Who is Do Not Answer?":dizzy: I would continue using The Rules if I were you and not even bring that minor detail up. Your being too hard on yourself!
Me, him, and his cousin from out of the country ended up going to the movies this weekend. Every thing was going pefect imo. In the end he asked to used my cell phone to call his house. When he hung up he saw that i said Don't Answer. I forgot all about it to the end! I was so mad. I felt like that just messed up my "game" and everything was going so fine! I feel like he's on to me and and is going to limit his calls now and stuff. Everytime things start to get good there's always something I say or do that makes me take a step back again imo...it's annoying.

I like this thread- I actually decided to block text messages and reject calls from an on/off again ex of mine. When I would call, he would not answer although he always answered in the past-and he contacted me so we could be "friends" WTF?! Anyway, one day he actually answered when I called and said "well, I thought i'd be nice this time" (again, WTF?!)---> that night I blocked everything and put the phone on silent. I feel really good about it. i shouldn't and won't chase after any dud.. I mean dude. He has tried calling once after, but it's on my reject list and he went straight to voice mail. I'm glad I did it. I sleep better at night.

So I'll share a story...(names have been changed)

I learned A LOT from my first real heartbreak, so I'm thankful for the experience. However, I went wrong with many aspects of The Rules and have realized my mistakes. Anti-Rules in bold, so most of this story will probably be in bold...:lachen:

John and I were "friends". I knew he just got out of a long and very intense relationship and I was his shoulder to cry on. He spoke so badly about his ex and of course I believed what he had to say. She was the bad guy, he was the good guy.:rolleyes: I had no idea that he was interested in me, but one evening he called me up and asked if I'd like to go on a date with him that night. I accepted. We went on the date and had a good time, we had some in depth conversations in that one date. I told him about how guys have only hurt me and I'm just looking for someone who will be good and honest. We ended up kissing on the first date. The night ended with him driving me home and us talking about relationships.

The next day I called my friend and told her about the date. She told me that I should text him and let him know I had a great time...so I did.:nono:

Later that evening he called and let me know he received my text.

I had to check to make sure I didn't write that. LOL. That was the situation I was in last week exactly, up until the point where I cut your story off. But it turned out my guy didn't actually break up with his g/f. I decided not to tell her though.

Count me in the challenge. I will be officially single this coming weekend! I've never really dated before so this will be interesting. I'm excited to read this book!

Ugh....I hate PMS... :(

It seems I get the loneliest around that "time". Do any of you ladies go through the same thing? Most of the time I'm happy being single, having fun, living my life, and going about my business. But when those hormones come...oy vey... :nono: It's like I'm a different person!! :shocked:

Tell me, why do I have the urge to call up guys and/or guy friends that I'm not even interested in?? :wallbash: :wallbash:

*makes a mad-dash for "The Rules" book*

Girl YES! Those lonely days are terrible! :nono:

Very interesting thread. I've spent entirely too much time reading it.

This has not been my experience. Nearly all the men i've dated, "talked to", or had a relationship with, have been quick to attach, to say "I love you", to want to establish a relationship. Very quick off the trigger. I think I've only dated *2* detached men in 15 years. Maybe I'm just not programmed to even consider men who want to be pursued. But i also see it among my relatives and acquaintances as well - If and when a man meets a girl and sets his heart on her, that's it. So maybe that's the answer - either he's into her, or he's not. And if he is, then, yes, his emotions are just as involved.

I've heard that men fall in love faster, but can also fall out of love faster as well. I see guys start out as clingy, wanting to talk all the time, wanting to spend every minute with a girl, but months later he falls back all of a sudden. For some reason they can lose that fire very quickly, I dunno.

((((HUGS))))) to you! I really feel you. I have my guy friend and I use different codes =) If he is on to what I am doing I would just laugh =) I keep him away from my cell phone at all times.

lol yea in the beginning that's all I was able to do...laugh lol.

Ladies what things are you doing to keep yourself busy?

I've been reading, doing my hair, nails, giving myself facials and stuff, going to the movies with friends, going to lounges, working out, and etc...

My class is going to end soon so i'm going to be free a lot more :(. I'm going to keep job searching, working out and eating right even harder, learn how to cook healthier foods, but I just want something else I can add to my routine. Next year i'm going to take belly dancing classes, but that's next year....

Last edited:
Girl I wouldn't think to deep into it. Girl you know how dumb some guys can be :yep: He probably was thinking "Who is Do Not Answer?":dizzy: I would continue using The Rules if I were you and not even bring that minor detail up. Your being too hard on yourself! [/b]

lmao that's funny because he was really looking at it for a long time. But I'm going to listen to you and keep doing the rules and be easy on myself :)

Can anyone recommend any books or movies that involves The Rules other than WMLB and The Rules? I'm almost done with this book...

I've been reading, doing my hair, nails, giving myself facials and stuff, going to the movies with friends, going to lounges, working out, and etc...

My class is going to end soon so i'm going to be free a lot more :(. I'm going to keep job searching, working out and eating right even harder, learn how to cook healthier foods, but I just want something else I can add to my routine. Next year i'm going to take belly dancing classes, but that's next year....

I am doing these same things you are doing:yep:

I'm trying to do more events in a co-ed environment - I love my gal pals, but hanging out with other single ladies was not feeding my relationship mojo!

I taking swimming lessons, sushi twice weekly, reading (ok.....this is a solo activity but I’m a nerd...a sexy nerd :yep:), grad school alumni events, happy hours, farmers market and wine tastings.

Plus I've diligent about being THAT GIRL appearance - with hair, skin, body, nails and clothes - wise daily.

I have a whole list of events or activites that I want to do!

I've started working out regulary again.....that helped to boost my confidence!

Anyway, I went out to a social gathering last weekend in an "upwardly mobile" African American neighborhood, hoping to find an eligible bachlelor..
However, most of the men in attendance were already attatched(I asked the hostess).
So I checked out a few of what was left, nothing/nobody sparked my interest.
So I just hung out with the ladies for a bit, then bounced.

And the other day, I went out to dinner with a girlfriend.
Saw a fine chocolate brotha with locs(a weakness for me:lick:)
He looked our way, and smiled.
A little later, when I walked past him, I glanced his way, didn't stare him down or anything, he politely smiled back.

Then I walked back to my seat without looking his way.
I was so hoping he'd come over and introduce himself......
But he just ate his dinner, alone, then when I looked up again, he had already left.

Oh well.......wasn't meant to be:wallbash:

But, hey, at least I followed the rules!!!!

dk

lmao that's funny because he was really looking at it for a long time. But I'm going to listen to you and keep doing the rules and be easy on myself :)

Can anyone recommend any books or movies that involves The Rules other than WMLB and The Rules? I'm almost done with this book...

Center Stage, the movie, has a female character that followed the rules :yep: and another female character who didn't know the rules :nono:. I didn't realized this until after I watch the movie and was reflecting on it. Anyway, the guy chased, I mean chased, the rules girl - it was really romantic. The girl who didn't know the rules got her heart broken and was publicly embarassed - it was so painful to watch that I began forwarding the movie whenever she had interacted with the guy. The movie is okay overall, but I'm going to watch it again (study and learn).

On page 105 of All the Rules, the authors mentioned a movie titled Love Story. I'm going to see if Netflix has it.

Ladies, please share any movies that you believe shows examples of the rules in play.

Also, Pride and Prejudice (one of my favorite books and movies) is an excellent example.

I like this thread- I actually decided to block text messages and reject calls from an on/off again ex of mine. When I would call, he would not answer although he always answered in the past-and he contacted me so we could be "friends" WTF?! Anyway, one day he actually answered when I called and said "well, I thought i'd be nice this time" (again, WTF?!)---> that night I blocked everything and put the phone on silent. I feel really good about it. i shouldn't and won't chase after any dud.. I mean dude. He has tried calling once after, but it's on my reject list and he went straight to voice mail. I'm glad I did it. I sleep better at night.

How do you block text messages?

Ladies, please share any movies that you believe shows examples of the rules in play.

Also, Pride and Prejudice (one of my favorite books and movies) is an excellent example.

This is a good idea! :up:

I have sooo many examples, now that I think about it.

Just last weekend I was watching my dvd of "Anne of Green Gables". I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this movie/series, or has ever read the book, but it's an old made-for-tv movie/series that came on waaay back in the day. :giggle:

ANYWAY, as I was watching it, I realized that Anne Shirley (the main character) was the ULTIMATE "Rules Girl"!! She always gave that guy Gilbert a run for his money! Gilbert STAYED chasing after her! :lachen: I just kept shaking my head in disbelief! She didn't really give him much time of day. But he kept on pursuing her. Always. :yep: The girls who threw themselves all over him didn't really keep his interest. But Anne did. She was smart, ambitious, loved to travel and learn new things, and most of all...NEVER chased after/pursued Gilbert (or ANY guy for that matter). So....she's definitely a "rules girl".

Some other good examples of movies to look at are:

-"Sense & Sensibility" (VERY Good example. Look at the stark contrast of how women will treat a guy that they are into compared to a guy that they are NOT into, and look at which guy chooses to chase after that girl)
-"Gone With the Wind" (Hahah..."Scarlet O'Hara"! The "classic rules girl" ;) )
-"Two Can Play That Game" ( :lachen: Very interesting movie! Vivica Fox @ her best!)
-"Jane Eyre" (I've heard this is a good one to take a look at)
-"A Walk To Remember"
- Just about ANY black and white/old/classics film. :up: I'm telling you, those women knew how to be "rules girls" back in the day! :yep:

Just to name a few... ;)

I know there are sooo many more though! I used to see this "Theme" in movies all the time, but right now my mind is drawing a blank. :ohwell:

This is a good idea! :up:

I have sooo many examples, now that I think about it.

Just last weekend I was watching my dvd of "Anne of Green Gables". I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this movie/series, or has ever read the book, but it's an old made-for-tv movie/series that came on waaay back in the day. :giggle:

ANYWAY, as I was watching it, I realized that Anne Shirley (the main character) was the ULTIMATE "Rules Girl"!! She always gave that guy Gilbert a run for his money! Gilbert STAYED chasing after her! :lachen: I just kept shaking my head in disbelief! She didn't really give him much time of day. But he kept on pursuing her. Always. :yep: The girls who threw themselves all over him didn't really keep his interest. But Anne did. She was smart, ambitious, loved to travel and learn new things, and most of all...NEVER chased after/pursued Gilbert (or ANY guy for that matter). So....she's definitely a "rules girl".

Some other good examples of movies to look at are:

-"Sense & Sensibility" (VERY Good example. Look at the stark contrast of how women will treat a guy that they are into compared to a guy that they are NOT into, and look at which guy chooses to chase after that girl)
-"Gone With the Wind" (Hahah..."Scarlet O'Hara"! The "classic rules girl" ;) )
-"Two Can Play That Game" ( :lachen: Very interesting movie! Vivica Fox @ her best!)
-"Jane Eyre" (I've heard this is a good one to take a look at)
-"A Walk To Remember"
- Just about ANY black and white/old/classics film. :up: I'm telling you, those women knew how to be "rules girls" back in the day! :yep:

Just to name a few... ;)

I know there are sooo many more though! I used to see this "Theme" in movies all the time, but right now my mind is drawing a blank. :ohwell:

OMG... I LOVE the Anne of Green Gables series. I haven't watched the movie, but I have read every book in the series at least twice. :lachen:

But yeah, Anne definitely was a Rules chick. She was not thinking about Gilbert.

I think looking taking cues from authors like Lucy Montgomery, Charlotte Bronte, and Jane Austen is good. Books were a major source of entertainment back then, so they dictated the social norms of the day, your mother and grandmothers employed (I say "your" because my family is from Cameroon... we weren't here yet lol).

Unfortunately, today's women use today's television to get their cues from. I was reading an article while back, and they said that a significant number of Hollywood writers are gay. Which is fine of course, except that I'm sure it has something to do with the lack of realism associated with some of their story lines that have something to do with male-female romance :spinning:.

But yeah, I'm glad this is working out for you guys. In talking to some of my male friends about their relationships, I see a lot of anti-Rules behavior on behalf of their EX-girlfriends (who are trying SO hard to remain in their life.... sometimes I want to meet some of these girls and have them a good hard SHAKE.) However, their current girlfriends, or the females that they are pursuing are for the most part very intelligent, career-oriented and FRUSTRATING to them. I love it, because I tell them all the time that they've had it too easy as far as women are concered. You appreciate what you work for.

I've heard that men fall in love faster, but can also fall out of love faster as well. I see guys start out as clingy, wanting to talk all the time, wanting to spend every minute with a girl, but months later he falls back all of a sudden. For some reason they can lose that fire very quickly, I dunno.
You are dead right. I've seen this as well. This might be an example of what "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" refers to as the male "elastic band". It that is the case, what's happening is that the guy kind of gets scared of being so emotionally needy and close to someone - he fears losing his masculine independence and autonomy. So the writer recommends that the woman gives him space and time - allows his to stretch away from her, so that, just like a stretched elastic band, he can bounce back to her. If she doesn't let him stretch away, he just hangs there, limp, and loses his former intensity, never getting the opportunity to rediscover his need for her.

Who knows?

I found a Barnes and Noble gift card in my bag with $11 left on it.

I'm going to buy this book after work, cause I know I'm doing some ---- y'all would not approve of. :nono:

I just finished reading All The Rules. It's a great book, it resonates with me. I prefer it more than WMLB. I'm going to buy my own copy (the copy I read is a library book).

The thing I love most about this book is that it makes me feel good. I can see myself doing the rules, even though some seem more challenging than others. I want to do the rules because what I was doing before doesn't work and caused me great pain and anguish. The Rules woman seems sophisticated, poised, calm, collected, feminine, and downright beautiful (inside and out). She is smart, attractive, independent, confident, and successful. I love the rules woman, I want to be her!

WMLB is a great eye opener, even more so than the rules in a way (it's more punchier), but it left me feeling really depressed and terrible about the mistakes I've made. With All the Rules, not only did I learn that I was a serious rule breaker (I broke 33 of the 35 rules at one point or the other! :eek: :(), but I immediately learn what the rules are and how to follow them. Some of the rules I broke without even knowing that they existed, I just knew, based on the unhappy results, that I did/was doing something wrong.

I'm glad that I'm finally learning how to set boundaries with men and how to enforce them. This is crucial for me, and I'm very happy to learn what I've learned. I've practicing them...

I know i'm late, but I absolutely love this post! This is how it's done!

You ladies would be proud of me, I went out tonight and tried to use the RULES!

I decided not to sit home (watching ghost whisper) as I usually do on a Friday nite and go out!

I took extra time with my appearance - and looked & felt especially good!

I went to a local "hot" thai spot before meeting some friends at aonther club. A girl has to eat before getting her grove on, right! :yep: I sat in a empty seat besides a very cute guy at the bar and he said HI. Now, the old me would have went to flirt mode - sticking out the twins, playing with my hair, and trying to draw out the conversation! I replied causally but didn't play him too much attention. Did I mention he was TALL (6'5") and FIONE (bald, carmel brown, and built like a quaterback)!!!:lick:

He keep intitating the conversation - giving me his name, aksed for mine, told me he just moved downtown, introduced me to his 2 guy friends, and talking about his favorite sushi restuarants. I answered any direct questions and was friendly but I did not try to monopolize his time or shared too much about myself.

Did I mention that all of his friends were fine too (there was no place to look without landing on muscles, a bald head or broad shoulders). Anyway, I just played it COOL. :spinning: Even when one of them checked out a girl walking by, I just ignore them.

I really think he was tyrying HARDER because I was not pressed. I'm sure he is used to women throwing themselves at him. I just was pleasant, minded my own busines as I finshed my drink.

I declined an offer for another drink, told him I was meeting friend at another spot, paid my tab and got up to leave. He stopped me to say how nice it was to meet me and asked for my number. I gave him a business card and told him to call me if he wanted to grab some sushi.

I could tell he were impressed - one of his friend who was with a white girl (that looked like amy winehouse :ohwell:) complimented me with the rest of the guys nodding in agreement.

I just said a general THANKS and rolled OUT without looking back! I really think he will call, but if not no harm - it was good practice!:grin:

The RULES rock! :grin:

Center Stage, the movie, has a female character that followed the rules :yep: and another female character who didn't know the rules :nono:. I didn't realized this until after I watch the movie and was reflecting on it. Anyway, the guy chased, I mean chased, the rules girl - it was really romantic. The girl who didn't know the rules got her heart broken and was publicly embarassed - it was so painful to watch that I began forwarding the movie whenever she had interacted with the guy. The movie is okay overall, but I'm going to watch it again (study and learn).

That is a really good example of both sides. And if you like dance sequences, it's pretty fun to watch.

Unfortunately, today's women use today's television to get their cues from. I was reading an article while back, and they said that a significant number of Hollywood writers are gay. Which is fine of course, except that I'm sure it has something to do with the lack of realism associated with some of their story lines that have something to do with male-female romance :spinning:.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense...particularly for storylines like Big and Carrie's on Sex and the City.

Oh!!!

Another good movie to check out that sort of impliments "The Rules" is:

-"My Best Friend's Wedding" with Julia Roberts. Now, it may be a little harder to see "the Rules" at work in this movie, but if you look closely, you'll see the difference between Julia Robert's character and Cameron Diaz's character. Look at the ways Julia chased, decieved, and used trickery to get her male guy friend's affections back. :nono:

Even towards the end of the movie where she's begging him to "choose her" now makes me cringe!! :barf: When you read "The Rules" you'll know why! No woman should be groveling at a man's feet begging him to have her, or have feelings for her. NO way!! :naughty:

When I was younger (and didn't know any better) and saw this movie, I was always wondering why he.... [*spoiler alert!*] ended up choosing Cameron's happy-go-lucky, not-a-care-in-the-world, bubbly character, and left Julia's character in the lurch. But now that I look back in hindsight (and after reading "the Rules"! :grin: ).... [*spoiler alert*].... I'm not at all surprised that the guy chose Cameron Diaz instead of Julia Roberts in this movie.

Last edited:
That is a really good example of both sides. And if you like dance sequences, it's pretty fun to watch.

Hmmm..."Center Stage".... Looks like I'll have to rent this movie! :scratchch

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense...particularly for storylines like Big and Carrie's on Sex and the City.

Okay, I don't watch "Sex & the City", so what is the significance about these characters regarding "the Rules", or how the media influences women to chase men? :confused:

Hmmm..."Center Stage".... Looks like I'll have to rent this movie! :scratchch

Okay, I don't watch "Sex & the City", so what is the significance about these characters regarding "the Rules", or how the media influences women to chase men? :confused:

One of the ongoing storylines of the show, which reached a head in the movie, was the main character, Carrie's on-again, off-again relationship with Mr. Big. I stopped watching after the first couple of seasons, so someone else might help me with the fuzzy details. But the gist of the relationship is that over the course of 10 years Carrie gets involved with him, he's ambivalent and breaks things off with her, he marries someone else, he has an affair with her while he's still married, they break up again, and so on. And then finally, he marries Carrie in the movie. And while that ending made a lot of women feel good, a whole lot of women thought it was just wishful thinking. Very little in their actual relationship seemed to indicate that Big really loved Carrie and so it seemed really unrealistic for them to end up getting married. Carrie should've written Big off from day 1.

Last edited:
One of the ongoing storylines of the show, which reached a head in the movie, was the main character, Carrie's on-again, off-again relationship with Mr. Big. I stopped watching after the first couple of seasons, so someone else might help me with the fuzzy details. But the gist of the relationship is that over the course of 10 years Carrie gets involved with him, he's ambivalent and breaks things off with her, he marries someone else, he has an affair with her while he's still married, they break up again, and so on. And then finally, he marries Carrie in the movie. And while that ending made a lot of women feel good, a whole lot of women thought it was just wishful thinking. Very little in their actual relationship seemed to indicate that Big really loved Carrie and so it seemed really unrealistic for them to end up getting married. Carrie should've written Big off from day 1.

IN TOTAL AGREEMENT, and I'm a huge SATC Fan!

Carrie is the least "Rules" girl out of the 4 main characters and that why she "allowed" Mr. Big to string her along for 10 (........I repeat ....:nono:...TEN ..:nono:...long years) long years!

I was so disappointed in the movie for still portarying Carrie as the typical needy woman that had to accept LESS (movie spoiler......he left her at the alter because he did wantn't a big wedding with carrie...yet Mr Big had a big engagement party at the Plaza and public wedding along with Scoiety page announcement with the other chick) just to GET her man!

If the situation was reverse....Mr. Big would never had hang around (thru affairs and even a marriage to someone else) "hoping" that someday Carrie would come to her senses and "chose him". :blush:

Thankyou! All my friends loved the Carrie and Big story but I always thought she should have dumped his behind a long time ago. Don't get me wrong I love SATC :grin:, but that Carrie and Big plot has always been so unrealistic to me. If you ask me, Aiden was the one that was truly crazy for her, but alas she didn't feel the same for him.

Thanks this is exactly what I was talking about. I was actually thinking about Sex and the City when I wrote my post.

I have a question for the rules girls.

If you've been dating someone 4 months (it'll be 4 months 2 days before Christmas) - What's the acceptable number of gifts to get them?

(I'm thinking of getting SO a book and a shirt, which is why I ask. Haven't gotten the shirt yet.)

I have a question for the rules girls.

If you've been dating someone 4 months (it'll be 4 months 2 days before Christmas) - What's the acceptable number of gifts to get them?

(I'm thinking of getting SO a book and a shirt, which is why I ask. Haven't gotten the shirt yet.)

I don't think there is a certain guide for the number of gifts - but I've always read that you should always give a personal (meaning something the person is interested in) and fun (nothing dosmetic -like an iron- unless specifically asked for) gifts.

For a new relationship, I would look out for or listen to what floats his boat (ex. hobbies or brands). Don't buy something that you never seen him use - like fany cologne for a strict "soap and water" type of guy.

Or you could also give a "couiple" gift - meaning something that both of you get to enjoy. (ex. concert tickets for his favorite band or gift certificate to his favorite resturant)

I'm a huge reader - so a book would be a great gift for me but most of the rest of my family would look at you sideways if they unwrapped a book on Christmas!

IN TOTAL AGREEMENT, and I'm a huge SATC Fan!

Carrie is the least "Rules" girl out of the 4 main characters and that why she "allowed" Mr. Big to string her along for 10 (........I repeat ....:nono:...TEN ..:nono:...long years) long years!

I was so disappointed in the movie for still portarying Carrie as the typical needy woman that had to accept LESS (movie spoiler......he left her at the alter because he did wantn't a big wedding with carrie...yet Mr Big had a big engagement party at the Plaza and public wedding along with Scoiety page announcement with the other chick) just to GET her man!

If the situation was reverse....Mr. Big would never had hang around (thru affairs and even a marriage to someone else) "hoping" that someday Carrie would come to her senses and "chose him". :blush:

The big winner in the movie was CHARLOTTE. She was always my favorite character and she is a self-proclaimed Rules girl. :yep: She found her happiness in the end and frankly, she and Miranda came out on top. Samantha ended up 50 and alone. Carrie got Big, but is he really a prize? I wish they had shown more of Char and Harry in the movie.

I've bought my own copy of All the Rules :clap:. I still don't plan on dating anytime soon, but knowing the Rules (and practicing them) is boosting my confidence because I'm learning how to deal with/treat men without allowing myself to get hurt. Is anyone else experiencing a similar thing?

Last edited:
Back