Some Positivity: A Few Things To Consider

that_1_grrrl

Okay, since I've been lurking, I've noticed people here and there saying things like, "Black hair is the most difficult hair to take care of." Well, I thought I thought I'd post a few things that we should all think about before we discount our hair.

1. You have to realize that we, as Blacks (well, the majority of us that are), live in post-colonial societies. From the moment our ancestors arrived in the Americas and European nations (not necessarily all though), they were told that their hair is ugly and that our needs didn't matter. This led to two problems:

a. Straight hair is seen as the norm and as desirable. Therefore, straight hair became something we wanted to achieve, and for years, have been doing so.

b. Hair products are made for the White majority and don't take into mind what our hair needs. Hair care advice in magazines is often geared towards White women. So, for years, we were left without sound advice about taking care of our hair. And now, ladies like us are still experimenting and finding out how our hair is supposed to be taken care of.

2. Race isn't genetic. Hair is. Hair does not equal race. Basically, we have our hair types not because we are Black but because at least someone in our family line did. Now, my point in that is, you will find people of other races with our hair textures. The thing is they may not know that their hair is likes ours and not be able to find resources that are good for them. They may continue to use products that other people of their race use, and it may cause them damage. Let's be lucky that as Black women, we are able to find community and people who understand our hair (obviously, not all Black women have access to this info).

3. We really don't see the care that goes into taking care of the hair of other races. We may have friends and families of different races, but in the end, everybody does things different. There may be a White or Asian woman out there struggling to keep her hair moisturized or keep it from breaking. We're just not there to see it.

4. Most afro-textured hair is fine. Some of the hair we see as hard-to-damage is coarse. Trust me, their hair DOES get damaged. it just takes longer because there are more layers to the hair. Since most of our hair is fine, our damage occurs faster.

5. Damage may just look different in different hair types. I have seen some real jacked up hair on hair textures. Take type 1 hair for example. When it's damaged, you'll see a ton of flyaways and nasty, scraggly ends. That person may have hair down to their nalgas (butt), but it's still very, very, very damaged. And trust me, I see a lot of type 1 women with really jacked up hair. I mean A LOT. The products that are sold in stores could be damaging their hair as well, but they may never consider it.

6. Our hair may be the most brittle, but it's also the easiest to style. We can jump from style to style, from hair type to hair type. How many others can say they can go from 4b to 1a and everything in between? How many can do it with out heat or chemicals? (I'm referencing rollersets and coconut + lime treatments)

7. I've heard so many people, regardless of hair type/texture/thickness/race, complain about their hair and how hard it is to take care of. I know a White girl who is going bald, yes BALD, in some spots because of the glue-in tracks she uses (I have to admit I was surprised that a White girl from the 'burbs used glue-in tracks).

8. We never know if the people with type 1 or 2 hair that we see have short hair because they cut it or because it won't grow. I was thinking about this one earlier in the week. As someone said in this comm, a lot of people will look at a White girl with short hair and assume she cut, but they will look at a Black girl with short hair and assume it won't grow. Most of the White girls I see have hair somewhere between SL and BSL. I don't see many with longer. For the longest, I too have assumed that it was just cut that way. In reality, it may just be their hair won't grow pass that length due to damage or not knowing how to properly take care of their hair. We'll never know.

Sorry for the length. I just thought I'd write these things out to help encourage us. Sometimes, we may be frustrated with our hair, but we're not alone. Every hair type has its strengths and weaknesses.

Relaxed or natural, our hair is pretty awesome. I love the things we can do with our hair. If you're still having problems getting your hair to do what you want it, it's not you or your hair's fault. NO ONE in this world was born knowing how to take care of their hair. Everybody has to learn how to take care of it.

But I am thankful that we have places like LHCF where we can find people with hair like ours and find support. That girl with the type 1 hair who can't figure out why it won't stop splitting or breaking might not find a community to help her or she may think the advice she finds will automatically work for her hair and think something is wrong with her hair when it doesn't.

Last edited:
Relaxed or natural, our hair is pretty awesome. I love the things we can do with our hair. If you're still having problems getting your hair to do what you want it, it's not you or your hair's fault. NO ONE in this world was born knowing how to take care of their hair. Everybody has to learn how to take care of it.

Exactly! I think we all need to focus on the positives about our hair instead of the negative. One of my goals is to always be thankful for the hair that I have. Thanks for posting this!

Exactly! I think we all need to focus on the positives about our hair instead of the negative. One of my goals is to always be thankful for the hair that I have. Thanks for posting this!

Nice post.

I like the focus on the positive.

Thanks, ladies. I'm hoping this might encourage some of the other newbies. I know when I first started going natural, I thought there was something wrong with me or my hair because no matter what, I couldn't get it right.

But ever since I've been here, I've been thinking about hair differently. I've learned to appreciate hair more.

8. We never know if the people with type 1 or 2 hair that we see have short hair because they cut it or because it won't grow.

This is so true! I was at Curves yesterday and the white trainer working there cut her hair to a little bit above her chin (she's 1a). I mentioned her hair cut and she said "yeah, I want to grow it out but it's so damaged, so many split ends!" Then I remembered that several women where I worked got hair cuts because of bad ends. So I do think it's true that we see non black women and assume that they are keeping it short because they want to but I am starting to see that a lot of them have trouble attaining their desired length as well.

You're right. There's an LJ community about hair. And many white girls have posts regarding growth aides and growth vitamins. Some of them complain of always having split ends and thin ends.. and I've noticed that it's because some use excessive heat like we do!

Also... Last night, I asked my mom if she had a difficult time taking care of her natural hair versus her relaxed hair. She told me that natural hair only seemed more difficult AFTER having relaxed hair for many years. Prior to having relaxed hair, it never bothered her because that was what she used to. She never considered her hair unmanageable until she got a relaxer then tried to grow it out.

Great post. I definitely think we underestimate all the benefits of having so much versitality with our hair type. The notion that type 1 or 2 hair doesn't really get damaged is silly. I work with majority white people, and its funny if we have a meeting with a large group noticing the damage in some women's hair...its baad!

I thought point #2 you made was very interesting. As for point #8, I've seen a lot of white women with long hair where I live.

This is so true! I was at Curves yesterday and the white trainer working there cut her hair to a little bit above her chin (she's 1a). I mentioned her hair cut and she said "yeah, I want to grow it out but it's so damaged, so many split ends!" Then I remembered that several women where I worked got hair cuts because of bad ends. So I do think it's true that we see non black women and assume that they are keeping it short because they want to but I am starting to see that a lot of them have trouble attaining their desired length as well.

Yeah, my friend is Mexican and has type 2 hair, and ever since going to cosmetology school, she's had to cut her hair several times due to dye jobs. The thing that really got me is she said she let her friend give her a relaxer once because she couldn't find her flat iron. She's been trying to grow her hair long this year, and I think she's finally given up on dyeing her hair for a while.

You're right. There's an LJ community about hair. And many white girls have posts regarding growth aides and growth vitamins. Some of them complain of always having split ends and thin ends.. and I've noticed that it's because some use excessive heat like we do!

Also... Last night, I asked my mom if she had a difficult time taking care of her natural hair versus her relaxed hair. She told me that natural hair only seemed more difficult AFTER having relaxed hair for many years. Prior to having relaxed hair, it never bothered her because that was what she used to. She never considered her hair unmanageable until she got a relaxer then tried to grow it out.

That makes since! It's sort of a re-learning period. Oh, and which LJ community? Madradhair?

Great post. I definitely think we underestimate all the benefits of having so much versitality with our hair type. The notion that type 1 or 2 hair doesn't really get damaged is silly. I work with majority white people, and its funny if we have a meeting with a large group noticing the damage in some women's hair...its baad!

Very true. I used to notice damage before I belonged to LHCF, but now, I'll sit there and really dissect what's wrong with someone's hair and what they could do to correct it.

Also, those haircare commercials of women with long silky hair are targeted towards someone.

I thought point #2 you made was very interesting. As for point #8, I've seen a lot of white women with long hair where I live.

It's such a rare sight here in Michigan. When I see women with WL or longer hair here, they're usually mestizo Latinos.

Isn't there a lot of Dutch and Amish in Pennsylvania? This question really has nothing to do with haircare. I'm just being nosy.

I think that anyone that is transitioning should take into consideration that they are re-learning about hair that they are not familiar with. I thought it was going to be easy to care for my curly hair. I have two daughters and 2 stepdaughters with ALOT of hair, down to their back (yes all 4) and when I do their hair it comes out really nice. I take pride in doing their hair and I was like oh when it comes to me it'll be just as easy.
Wrong!!!

I've been natural a year and a half and all I know is that I know nothing. I am still learning, but its a process. God knows it took me forever to get the relaxed hair down to the point of perfection, but now its clean slate and start over time. OP, my hair is the opposite of what you mentioned - my hair is thick and definitely not fine, it grows like crazy and it won't let me tell it what to do LOL, and the stylist options that work today will most likely NOT work 2 months from now. My relaxed hair was easier because I always knew the outcome. 2+2 was always 4. With my natural hair 2+2 could equal a million different things depending on humidity, the moon alignment, if my hair wants to cooperate...

As far as other races, they go through the same turmoil we do. I post on naturallycurly and I see the same frustrations there that I see here. I think our turmoil is much deeper though. I think we are taught that anything we do is regarded as negative, including our "nappy" hair.

Okay, since I've been lurking, I've noticed people here and there saying things like, "Black hair is the most difficult hair to take care of." Well, I thought I thought I'd post a few things that we should all think about before we discount our hair.

1. You have to realize that we, as Blacks (well, the majority of us that are), live in post-colonial societies. From the moment our ancestors arrived in the Americas and European nations (not necessarily all though), they were told that their hair is ugly and that our needs didn't matter. This led to two problems:

a. Straight hair is seen as the norm and as desirable. Therefore, straight hair became something we wanted to achieve, and for years, have been doing so.

b. Hair products are made for the White majority and don't take into mind what our hair needs. Hair care advice in magazines is often geared towards White women. So, for years, we were left without sound advice about taking care of our hair. And now, ladies like us are still experimenting and finding out how our hair is supposed to be taken care of.

2. Race isn't genetic. Hair is. Hair does not equal race. Basically, we have our hair types not because we are Black but because at least someone in our family line did. Now, my point in that is, you will find people of other races with our hair textures. The thing is they may not know that their hair is likes ours and not be able to find resources that are good for them. They may continue to use products that other people of their race use, and it may cause them damage. Let's be lucky that as Black women, we are able to find community and people who understand our hair (obviously, not all Black women have access to this info).

3. We really don't see the care that goes into taking care of the hair of other races. We may have friends and families of different races, but in the end, everybody does things different. There may be a White or Asian woman out there struggling to keep her hair moisturized or keep it from breaking. We're just not there to see it.

4. Most afro-textured hair is fine. Some of the hair we see as hard-to-damage is coarse. Trust me, their hair DOES get damaged. it just takes longer because there are more layers to the hair. Since most of our hair is fine, our damage occurs faster.

5. Damage may just look different in different hair types. I have seen some real jacked up hair on hair textures. Take type 1 hair for example. When it's damaged, you'll see a ton of flyaways and nasty, scraggly ends. That person may have hair down to their nalgas (butt), but it's still very, very, very damaged. And trust me, I see a lot of type 1 women with really jacked up hair. I mean A LOT. The products that are sold in stores could be damaging their hair as well, but they may never consider it.

6. Our hair may be the most brittle, but it's also the easiest to style. We can jump from style to style, from hair type to hair type. How many others can say they can go from 4b to 1a and everything in between? How many can do it with out heat or chemicals? (I'm referencing rollersets and coconut + lime treatments)

7. I've heard so many people, regardless of hair type/texture/thickness/race, complain about their hair and how hard it is to take care of. I know a White girl who is going bald, yes BALD, in some spots because of the glue-in tracks she uses (I have to admit I was surprised that a White girl from the 'burbs used glue-in tracks).

8. We never know if the people with type 1 or 2 hair that we see have short hair because they cut it or because it won't grow. I was thinking about this one earlier in the week. As someone said in this comm, a lot of people will look at a White girl with short hair and assume she cut, but they will look at a Black girl with short hair and assume it won't grow. Most of the White girls I see have hair somewhere between SL and BSL. I don't see many with longer. For the longest, I too have assumed that it was just cut that way. In reality, it may just be their hair won't grow pass that length due to damage or not knowing how to properly take care of their hair. We'll never know.

Sorry for the length. I just thought I'd write these things out to help encourage us. Sometimes, we may be frustrated with our hair, but we're not alone. Every hair type has its strengths and weaknesses.

But I am thankful that we have places like LHCF where we can find people with hair like ours and find support. That girl with the type 1 hair who can't figure out why it won't stop splitting or breaking might not find a community to help her or she may think the advice she finds will automatically work for her hair and think something is wrong with her hair when it doesn't.

Well Said my sister.

All of it.:yep:

I think that anyone that is transitioning should take into consideration that they are re-learning about hair that they are not familiar with. I thought it was going to be easy to care for my curly hair. I have two daughters and 2 stepdaughters with ALOT of hair, down to their back (yes all 4) and when I do their hair it comes out really nice. I take pride in doing their hair and I was like oh when it comes to me it'll be just as easy.
Wrong!!!

I've been natural a year and a half and all I know is that I know nothing. I am still learning, but its a process. God knows it took me forever to get the relaxed hair down to the point of perfection, but now its clean slate and start over time. OP, my hair is the opposite of what you mentioned - my hair is thick and definitely not fine, it grows like crazy and it won't let me tell it what to do LOL, and the stylist options that work today will most likely NOT work 2 months from now. My relaxed hair was easier because I always knew the outcome. 2+2 was always 4. With my natural hair 2+2 could equal a million different things depending on humidity, the moon alignment, if my hair wants to cooperate...

As far as other races, they go through the same turmoil we do. I post on naturallycurly and I see the same frustrations there that I see here. I think our turmoil is much deeper though. I think we are taught that anything we do is regarded as negative, including our "nappy" hair.

Yep, I understand the whole relearning thing. Considering how long a lot of us had relaxed hair, the switch to natural can be tough. At first, you just want to be able to do what you did with relaxed hair. Soon enough, you find out it's not possible.

That's why I was careful to say most. I know there are people out there with 3 and 4 type hair that is coarse. Mine's a mixture. I have some strands that I can barely see and some that are just really coarse. I think that's why even when I was abusing my hair, I still had healthy looking hair. It was like hair Darwinism. Any hair that was fine, broke off. The coarse strands just hung in there. lol.

You and your hair are beautiful hair btw (I can't believe that's your grandchild in that pic. I keep thinking I'm reading it wrong).

And sorry to be nosy - I thought you wrote somewhere you were Latin. Which Latin country?

Well Said my sister.

All of it.:yep:

Thank you.

Back