dont you find it funny ?

dont you find it funny that

in order for black hair to stay moisturize we must use products that moisturize yet we are not suppose to wash our hair everyday?

i always thougth that was kinda interesting about our hair?

I also realized that regardless of what we do with our hair natural, relaxed, texlaxed there is always a con to it... ... do you think we are ever gonna find a way to do our hair without any negative affects...

I always wondered there must be a reason why god made our hair specifically so different from everyone else... i mean we all can wear our hair natural but if we were to wear afros and let them grow.... and not cut them.... boy would that be interesting.... cause our hair grows up and out and not down....

Its funny how with our hair in order to get one look we loose something.... like to be natural means we can do as many styles like straightening and loose curls and if we use relaxer we get more styling options but are more prone to damage if we dont take special care of it...

I love my hair but sometimes i wonder... i think that its kinda unfair but hey u gotta work what with god gave us right...

what you guys think
I understand what u meant OP and as much as I do love my hair, I acknowledge that it takes more of a conscious effort than other hair types. I understand what u were trying to say.

Here are some threads you might be interested in. They're all pretty recent.
Was our hair meant to be this difficult?

The REAL reason our hair is "so difficult"?!...

What do you like about being natural?

Best Pics of Natural Hair/Heads (includes our members)

You may be able to find the answers to some of your questions within these threads and also find the opinions of other. All the best! have a nice night:)

Lys

The Long Hair Community

This is a hair forum that has predominantly white women, so you'll find a lot more Type 1s and 2s. You'll also see that they have many of the same hair issues.

Lys

geeze saida... i was just expressing my opinion... i didint say that you had to feel the same way i do... gosh..... i love my hair too ...i just saying i feel thats its kinda unfair sometimes.... so what i said it.... you dont have to agree..i wasnt asking no one tooo just expressing MY opinion and mines alone... this is a blog where we are suppose to exprees our opiinions let me do that

Are you sure you weren't asking anyone for their opinion/thoughts/etc.? You did ask at the end of your post "what you guys think"... :perplexed

Are you sure you weren't asking anyone for their opinion/thoughts/etc.? You did ask at the end of your post "what you guys think"... :perplexed
I think OP feels attacked for her opinion and I can kinda see that she is. Why can't we be honest and admit that our hair is inherently VERY different than type 1/2 and requires more work. We can't jus shampoo with a any old thing, detangle in 2 mins with no conditioner, air dry and look good. We just can't. We have to condition, moisturize, seal, etc, etc. we cannot jus ignore our hair and have it jus jump from shoulder length to waist in two years. Yes, other hair types have issues, but ours are very unique to us. If we relax we gotta "set it" to make it straight, deep condition, get trims, rollerset, flat iron. If its natural, detangling can be annoying, with hair curling aorund itself and making little knots and the end. reversion with styles, shrinkage. I don't think OP is trying to say our hair is inferior in any way, jeez, shes jus pointing out some of the frustrations!:rolleyes:

I think OP feels attacked for her opinion and I can kinda see that she is. Why can't we be honest and admit that our hair is inherently VERY different than type 1/2 and requires more work. We can't jus shampoo with a any old thing, detangle in 2 mins with no conditioner, air dry and look good. We just can't. We have to condition, moisturize, seal, etc, etc. we cannot jus ignore our hair and have it jus jump from shoulder length to waist in two years. Yes, other hair types have issues, but ours are very unique to us. If we relax we gotta "set it" to make it straight, deep condition, get trims, rollerset, flat iron. If its natural, detangling can be annoying, with hair curling aorund itself and making little knots and the end. reversion with styles, shrinkage. I don't think OP is trying to say our hair is inferior in any way, jeez, shes jus pointing out some of the frustrations!:rolleyes:
Girl i love you.. you hit the hammer directly on the nail... at least i knwo some ppl are understanding me... i respect the others opinions though ...

I have to clear up another thing.... when i said that i was saying that I wasnt asking anyone to agree with me... NOT that i wasnt askin them to post their opinion. There is a big difference... I just want to clarify cause I know what i said..

I have to clear up another thing.... when i said that i was saying that I wasnt asking anyone to agree with me... NOT that i wasnt askin them to post their opinion. There is a big difference... I just want to clarify cause I know what i said..
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying, krissynick...

In response to Kurlee... I can shampoo, condition, detangle in 5 minutes, style my hair, and be done with it and I still feel that I look good. And I'm a black women with natural hair and I have one of the nappiest hair textures. When I do this low maintainance hair routine, I style my hair in two shrunken puffs. When I want to do other styles like stretched out fros, twists, twistouts, heat straightened, etc, of course it's going to take time when you have to use other tools to achieve a certain look for your hair...I believe that's the same with any hair type.

I think the issue is 'assuming' that other races DON'T go through a whole bunch of trouble with their hair. That they DON'T have to seal/moisturize/protective style/etc, etc, etc.

Seriously, anytime you feel down on your hair - go check out the white girls - sometimes I'm reading over there and I FORGET I'm not on LHCF - if it wasn't for all the white avi pics, it would feel like the same steelo - hair drama. Wanting it straighter/curlier. Worried about split ends. Freaking out over breakage. Going insane over the protien/moisture balance.

Don't believe the hype that white women/Asian women/Indian women have wash and go hair. Don't believe the hype that they ALL spend five minutes on their hair in the morning and have gorgeous, healthy, thick hair. There are PLENTY of black women who spend five minutes on their hair and have gorgeous thick healthy hair - there have been plenty of posts where people are - commenting - on how their sisters best friends cousin doesn't do ANYTHING to her hair but wash it with some Dawn and she's got hair to her behind :grin: - but that's a matter of GENETICS, not color/kinkiness.

Another thing I would note about our sisters of other mothers - in general, their hair tends to be NATURAL. Maybe some color on a regular - but they don't relax/perm their hair overall - and when they DO get perms, they freak out because their hair is drier, more fragile, more delicate. Hrmmmm, doesn't THAT sound familiar? :rolleyes:

The PROBLEM with our hair is that we (in general) don't want to accept it as it IS, and instead want to treat it like something it ISN't - a matter of perception, you see.

As someone stated in another of these threads, if the societal conditioning told white women they needed to have afros to be beautiful/feminine/whatever - there would be a WHOLE bunch of them whining and crying over how their hair just won't hold a curl, and how they have to keep using heat to kink up their new growth, and why didn't God give them nappy hair, and etc, etc, etc.

:nono:

I USED to think that I had the nappiest, most difficult, hateful hair on the planet. I felt like I couldn't do ANYTHING with my hair, and I just didn't have the TIME to dedicate to it to make it look halfway good. I wore wigs (weaves always skeeved me out), braids, kinky twists, and even locks - ANYTHING to avoid having to deal with my hair.

2 years, a reset in MY perceptions and some serious self-education about healthy HAIR (damn the styles, just the HAIR) care has caused me to make a full 180. I LOVE my hair. I can't imagine putting it away, hiding from it, or trying to make it something it's not. I celebrate experimenting with it, learning what it likes, creating NEW styles for it, and working with it, as it IS.

Maybe it's also a matter of getting older, and being able to see things better as they are, rather than how I wish, hope, and dream for them to be.

I'll NEVER be able to wear a wash & go in loose hair. Just ain't happening. It's not part of how MY hair works. I can either spend eleventy hundred hours trying to find the perfect product/process/chemical to give me a 3b wash and go, or I can get over wanting it, and figure out a way to do wash and go's that fit with MY hair.

Urmph.

I got a lil ranty there, but really....acceptance breeds ease.

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying, krissynick...

In response to Kurlee... I can shampoo, condition, detangle in 5 minutes, style my hair, and be done with it and I still feel that I look good. And I'm a black women with natural hair and I have one of the nappiest hair textures. When I do this low maintainance hair routine, I style my hair in two shrunken puffs. When I want to do other styles like stretched out fros, twists, twistouts, heat straightened, etc, of course it's going to take time when you have to use other tools to achieve a certain look for your hair...I believe that's the same with any hair type.

i gues ur right...i just saysing that even with me having relax hair i cant just wash and go.. i have to do some type of styling for it to be the way i want... i can just blow dry after everywash and put it a ponytaill... if i did i would have major breakage... i mean i guess it all comes down too what u like to do with your hair.... for example... if my hair was naturally straight i could wash it and then let it air dry in a pony tail .. if i do that with mines i dont like the way i looks...

As stated before, our hair was created for survival in the elements. We (humans) turned it into vanity..and we humans influenced by eurocentric ideals come to conclusions that our hair is difficult when it is exactly as it is supposed to be.

dont you find it funny that

in order for black hair to stay moisturize we must use products that moisturize yet we are not suppose to wash our hair everyday?

i always thougth that was kinda interesting about our hair?

I also realized that regardless of what we do with our hair natural, relaxed, texlaxed there is always a con to it... ... do you think we are ever gonna find a way to do our hair without any negative affects...

I always wondered there must be a reason why god made our hair specifically so different from everyone else... i mean we all can wear our hair natural but if we were to wear afros and let them grow.... and not cut them.... boy would that be interesting.... cause our hair grows up and out and not down....

Its funny how with our hair in order to get one look we loose something.... like to be natural means we can do as many styles like straightening and loose curls and if we use relaxer we get more styling options but are more prone to damage if we dont take special care of it...

I love my hair but sometimes i wonder... i think that its kinda unfair but hey u gotta work what with god gave us right...

what you guys think

@ the bolded...there alot of ladies who conditioner wash daily.. and from experience I find that the more I wash my hair the more softer it is to maintain that moisture balance.:yep:

I think the issue is 'assuming' that other races DON'T go through a whole bunch of trouble with their hair. That they DON'T have to seal/moisturize/protective style/etc, etc, etc.

Seriously, anytime you feel down on your hair - go check out the white girls - sometimes I'm reading over there and I FORGET I'm not on LHCF - if it wasn't for all the white avi pics, it would feel like the same steelo - hair drama. Wanting it straighter/curlier. Worried about split ends. Freaking out over breakage. Going insane over the protien/moisture balance.

Don't believe the hype that white women/Asian women/Indian women have wash and go hair. Don't believe the hype that they ALL spend five minutes on their hair in the morning and have gorgeous, healthy, thick hair. There are PLENTY of black women who spend five minutes on their hair and have gorgeous thick healthy hair - there have been plenty of posts where people are - commenting - on how their sisters best friends cousin doesn't do ANYTHING to her hair but wash it with some Dawn and she's got hair to her behind :grin: - but that's a matter of GENETICS, not color/kinkiness.

Another thing I would note about our sisters of other mothers - in general, their hair tends to be NATURAL. Maybe some color on a regular - but they don't relax/perm their hair overall - and when they DO get perms, they freak out because their hair is drier, more fragile, more delicate. Hrmmmm, doesn't THAT sound familiar? :rolleyes:

The PROBLEM with our hair is that we (in general) don't want to accept it as it IS, and instead want to treat it like something it ISN't - a matter of perception, you see.

As someone stated in another of these threads, if the societal conditioning told white women they needed to have afros to be beautiful/feminine/whatever - there would be a WHOLE bunch of them whining and crying over how their hair just won't hold a curl, and how they have to keep using heat to kink up their new growth, and why didn't God give them nappy hair, and etc, etc, etc.

I USED to think that I had the nappiest, most difficult, hateful hair on the planet. I felt like I couldn't do ANYTHING with my hair, and I just didn't have the TIME to dedicate to it to make it look halfway good. I wore wigs (weaves always skeeved me out), braids, kinky twists, and even locks - ANYTHING to avoid having to deal with my hair.

2 years, a reset in MY perceptions and some serious self-education about healthy HAIR (damn the styles, just the HAIR) care has caused me to make a full 180. I LOVE my hair. I can't imagine putting it away, hiding from it, or trying to make it something it's not. I celebrate experimenting with it, learning what it likes, creating NEW styles for it, and working with it, as it IS.

Maybe it's also a matter of getting older, and being able to see things better as they are, rather than how I wish, hope, and dream for them to be.

I'll NEVER be able to wear a wash & go in loose hair. Just ain't happening. It's not part of how MY hair works. I can either spend eleventy hundred hours trying to find the perfect product/process/chemical to give me a 3b wash and go, or I can get over wanting it, and figure out a way to do wash and go's that fit with MY hair.

Urmph.

i see what you saying.. but what are your feelings on relaxed heads caue i had the same problems natural.... too.. i mean i wore my hair in braids.. it was my own hair but it was alot.. like a big fro.. when i say big i mean big..

I love my hair and i love being black but im not afraid to say that at times it difficult... thats not being ashamed of what god gave me its just stating a fact... and as time goes on i truly belive it will get easier for me but i was just throwing my thoughts out there ...

thanks

@ the bolded...there alot of ladies who conditioner wash daily.. and from experience I find that the more I wash my hair the more softer it is to maintain that moisture balance.:yep:

I want to try it but i cant deal with my hair daily.. Lord knows im not on that level yet.. once a week is enough for me.. but i will try one day and let u know

As stated before, our hair was created for survival in the elements. We (humans) turned it into vanity..and we humans influenced by eurocentric ideals come to conclusions that our hair is difficult when it is exactly as it is supposed to be.

I am not trying to start any troulbe when i say this trust me im not but i noticed your hair is 3c.. and thats great but do you think you would be syaing the same thing if u were a 4b...

I do agree that our hair is exactly how its suppose to be but im just saying that if we dont want to wear an afro sometimes... it should be our perogative to do sooo ... like whites with wavy hair who straighten it... im just syaing that at times it gets annoying

I used to be very frustrated with my hair and sometimes I still am. Wouldn't it be nice to just have hair that is long and strong and stays that way easily without all the special handling and conditioning and moisturizing and such? Sometimes you just have to say out loud how you really feel, then it's easier to move on and think positively. You have every right to share your feelings. Thank you for your honesty.

I agree with this too:yep:.

I used to also find my hair difficult.. but then I learned how to take of my hair and then I fell in love with the thickness:cupid: hence one of the reasons why I am stretching out my relaxers and not applying them bone straight any longer:nono:!!

Just do add

Just because our hair is kinky does it mean that we should just leave it like that and dont try any other styles.. Look at the many creative hairstyles that have been made ... what would hair care be withouth them....i agree all hair types go through stresss of course but i just think our is on another levelll..

The problem isn't with their bust. The problem is their perception of their busts, and what that perception leads them to do. Hope that clarifies.

My thought is that, at the end of the day, hair is hair. In all the forums I've gone to and all the research I've done, that is one of the few common truths I've found. Straight hair strips, breaks, tangles, knots, dries out, and falls out. So does wavy hair. So does kinky hair. So will pubic hair if treated badly enough. The advice on the straight hair boards isn't any different than that found here because...<shrugs> hair is hair. You'll feel better about anything you treat well, even an old sweater. And the better you treat it, the longer it will last and the better it will look.

ITA with both of you.
Quiet as its kept there are non-kinkies who have all kinds of issues with their hair too. Plus, there are wavies, straighties, curlies who admire some of the qualities of nappy/kinky hair the same way as some of us envy some of the natural qualities of their hair. My whole life I've had white women admire how thick and soft my hair is and how well it could hold braids and styles, and this was both relaxed, natural and transitioning.
I don't find my hair difficult at all. And the older I get and the more I learn the more effortless my hair care becomes. I can't do everything possible with my hair, but I have fun styles I can experiment with and a regimen that I'm continually streamlining. I have non-black friends that wake up early so they can wash, deep condition, blow dry and flat iron their hair, whereas I just wash and go and still get compliments on my puff.

Its mainly an issue of haircare knowledge and whether you work with your hair, or go the more high maintenance route which requires more TLC for your strands.

I am not trying to start any troulbe when i say this trust me im not but i noticed your hair is 3c.. and thats great but do you think you would be syaing the same thing if u were a 4b...

What I was saying was in no way only applicable to looser hair textures.

Last edited:
Just do add

Just because our hair is kinky does it mean that we should just leave it like that and dont try any other styles.. Look at the many creative hairstyles that have been made ... what would hair care be withouth them....i agree all hair types go through stresss of course but i just think our is on another levelll..

My hair is kinky. I'm a natural 4b or a cnapp or whatever. And it is because of it's awesome kinkiness that I can do so many styles. Styles hold so well on my hair. I already gave you the link where the ladies here are talking about the greatness of their natural hair. Maybe if you check it out your perception of your hair might change.

Lys

My hair is kinky. I'm a natural 4b or a cnapp or whatever. And it is because of it's awesome kinkiness that I can do so many styles. Styles hold so well on my hair. I already gave you the link where the ladies here are talking about the greatness of their natural hair. Maybe if you check it out your perception of your hair might change.

Lys

Thats great... I am just saying some of the styles i want I cant do withouth alot of work ....and i dont have a bad perception of my hair... I just throwing out ideas so i can get ppls responses.... i did say i love my hair in the post...

If my hair came out of my head tightly coiled and kinky..and it wouldn't straighten..I would attribute that to trying to make my hair do something that it inheritently didn't want to do..not that my hair was difficult.

My hair never looked straight...ever..ever. Always drew up and frizzed (and that was with getting a relaxer every 2 months or so). I gave up trying to make it pin straight like everybody else, cause my hair didn't want to do it.

I think the texture is irrelevant to my point. If you have someone with straight hair wondering why on earth their hair can't dred up..it would be like "huh?..because your hair type isn't designed to do that"..not that that person has difficult hair.

Urmph.

Teach Sista NappY! Teach!

If my hair came out of my head tightly coiled and kinky..and it wouldn't straighten..I would attribute that to trying to make my hair do something that it inheritently didn't want to do..not that my hair was difficult.

My hair never looked straight...ever..ever. Always drew up and frizzed (and that was with getting a relaxer every 2 months or so). I gave up trying to make it pin straight like everybody else, cause my hair didn't want to do it.

I think the texture is irrelevant to my point. If you have someone with straight hair wondering why on earth their hair can't dred up..it would be like "huh?..because your hair type isn't designed to do that"..not that that person has difficult hair.

okay okay I dont want any arguements.. I never said ur hair was straight.. i know 3c hair isnt striaght... and i see ur point but I am asking you do you think I should just cut all my relaxed hair off and wear it natural cause thats the way its " suppose to be"....

i see what you saying.. but what are your feelings on relaxed heads caue i had the same problems natural.... too.. i mean i wore my hair in braids.. it was my own hair but it was alot.. like a big fro.. when i say big i mean big..

I love my hair and i love being black but im not afraid to say that at times it difficult... thats not being ashamed of what god gave me its just stating a fact... and as time goes on i truly belive it will get easier for me but i was just throwing my thoughts out there ...

thanks

What are my feelings on relaxed heads? I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question??

sunnydaze said:

And :yep: Sunnydaze - ain't that the truth!

okay okay I dont want any arguements.. I never said ur hair was straight.. i know 3c hair isnt striaght... and i see ur point but I am asking you do you think I should just cut all my relaxed hair off and wear it natural cause thats the way its " suppose to be"....

Gul, I ain't arguing whicha...just conversing!

And to answer your question, no..I just think you need to keep trying different methods until you find something that works with your hair instead of against it...and you can do that relaxed. Their are tons of 4b women her who relax and have gorgeous hair..some set, others blowdry, others flat iron, other use molecular rollers, etc.

I cannot blow dry my hair at all b/c it looks grainy and frizzy..so I know that doesn't work, but my hair does like to be set..ok that works.

Last edited:
What are my feelings on relaxed heads? I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question??

And :yep: Sunnydaze - ain't that the truth!

I am asking do you think that us who relax have some sort of identity crisis or that we hate our hair... cause i know i dont... and i was asking do you think cause we relax our hair we dont like our hair texture.... cause reading your post i felt like u say we dont work with what we got.... as in in its natural stage...

I am asking do you think that us who relax have some sort of identity crisis or that we hate our hair... cause i know i dont... and i was asking do you think cause we relax our hair we dont like our hair texture.... cause reading your post i felt like u say we dont work with what we got.... as in in its natural stage...

Hrm.

I don't know if relaxed folx have an identity crisis - I'm sure some do, and I'm sure some don't, just as I'm sure some nappyheads have identity crisis and others don't.... ;) I judge people on much more than just their hair.... :rolleyes:
I assume relaxed heads don't like the hair texture growing out of their head - I used to be relaxed, and it's not a pleasant (or goodsmelling) process (my scalp is itching just THINKING about it)- I can't imagine someone going through all that to get rid of something they LIKE. :grin:

There's a huge spectrum of emotions between HATE and DISLIKE and LIKE and LOVE - so do I think you hate your natural hair? *shrug* You just said you don't, so I can do nothing but believe you, but I have to believe you dislike it.

Not liking your hair doesn't make it inherently DIFFICULT, though.

Back