So My Niece Says She Hates Men...

I felt the same.*

The dating scene is/was hard and I think men know they have the advantange.*

And this rap culture isn't helping.

Luckily, I was able to find true love and I'm happily married now to my DH. But I understand where she is coming from.

*No, I wasn't sexually harrased. I grew up in a two parent household. I'm educated, fit, and attractive for all the shady posters out there. :lol:

She also spoke about how the misogyny in hip hop, the baby mama/baby daddy culture where men abandon women and children, and the way bm refuse to protect bw has totally turned her off.

It should turn more women off! If women didn't allow this behavior, men would change!

I'm thinking along the lines of how the girls had a stand-off in the movie Chi-Raq.....

Meh. I often have a similar sentiment (not necessarily hate, but indifference or dislike). And I'm physically/sexually only attracted to men (and married to one). I generally prefer the company of women to that of men, with a few exceptions.

Same here. I had the same sentiment as the OP's niece in high school. Read way too many history books and feminist essays. I'm indifferent to the male population but it never stopped me having crushes and being attracted to men. @perfumenista Is your niece's actions of any concern or just what she says?

Same here. I had the same sentiment as the OP's niece in high school. Read way too many history books and feminist essays. I'm indifferent to the male population but it never stopped me having crushes and being attracted to men. @perfumenista Is your niece's actions of any concern or just what she says?
With your sentiments, is it possible to have healthy relationship with men at any level be it platonic, romantic, professional etc.?

She also spoke about how the misogyny in hip hop, the baby mama/baby daddy culture where men abandon women and children, and the way bm refuse to protect bw has totally turned her off.

She's starting to open her eyes to the reality we live in as black women. I know where she's coming from and it makes sense that she has these feelings. She has to get to a place where she realizes that not all men are like that. It's a tough distinction to make because it feels like we're bombarded with negative imagery and stories related to kangs, but we can't let it over shadow the good ones.

With your sentiments, is it possible to have healthy relationship with men at any level be it platonic, romantic, professional etc.?

Most definitely. I love the men in my family especially my father and all my uncles and my male cousins. I grew up very cared for and loved so that's why I had the sentiments in high school and today still. Seeing how I was raised and seeing how the world operates really made me question life. I have a few guy friends that I care about but they don't come before my female friendships. To me that level of friendships is very different. When I was working my male coworkers befriended me and looked out for me. I enjoy their company and they enjoy mine. There was no ill blood between us even though they knew where I stood on relationships. I don't publicly lambaste men, say *** them, or I hate all men. But I do understand why some women do, it's just not good for my public image to do so. What I don't do action wise is personally cape for men. That's what I mean when I say I'm indifferent to the male population.

So yes your niece can have these sentiments about men and still go on to have healthy relationships with men. I think right now it's key to remember your niece's frustration with men is okay. She has a right to feel anger, frustration, and confusion about men and their actions towards women. But that anger should not continuously consume her. What she needs to learn from this is how to navigate the gender dynamic and turn all her anger into positive results in having men benefit her life, not take from it. She hopefully will learn the right man can and should add to her life and be of use to her.

I felt the same.*

The dating scene is/was hard and I think men know they have the advantange.*

And this rap culture isn't helping.

Luckily, I was able to find true love and I'm happily married now to my DH. But I understand where she is coming from.

*No, I wasn't sexually harrased. I grew up in a two parent household. I'm educated, fit, and attractive for all the shady posters out there. :lol:

I actually believe women who grew up in a healthy two parent household with a strong male role model in the home are more likely to be disenchanted with today's dating, so I understand...and don't let your daddy have been someone who knew his role as provider and protector of the family. You have all these expectations of finding those qualities in a man and then struggle to find them.

She's starting to open her eyes to the reality we live in as black women. I know where she's coming from and it makes sense that she has these feelings. She has to get to a place where she realizes that not all men are like that. It's a tough distinction to make because it feels like we're bombarded with negative imagery and stories related to kangs, but we can't let it over shadow the good ones.
Since these sentiments are common now aday due to the culture, how else can we help our young ladies navigate these feelings besides the whole "not all men" thing?

How can we ensure our girls thrive despite their negative feelings for the opposite gender?

What was the context in which this was said? Are you sure she wasn't just venting? I've expressed a similar sentiment a few times. I don't have daddy issues and I'm married. I've even expressed my huge disdain for people in general, but it's usually after watching/reading something horrific.

As long as your niece isn't acting out and seems to form good relationships in general then I think she'll be ok. I'm thinking she doesn't really "hate" men the same way I'm not starving to death when I've missed a meal or two.

Most definitely. I love the men in my family especially my father and all my uncles and my male cousins. I grew up very cared for and loved so that's why I had the sentiments in high school and today still. Seeing how I was raised and seeing how the world operates really made me question life. I have a few guy friends that I care about but they don't come before my female friendships. To me that level of friendships is very different. When I was working my male coworkers befriended me and looked out for me. I enjoy their company and they enjoy mine. There was no ill blood between us even though they knew where I stood on relationships. I don't publicly lambaste men, say *** them, or I hate all men. But I do understand why some women do, it's just not good for my public image to do so. What I don't do action wise is personally cape for men. That's what I mean when I say I'm indifferent to the male population.

So yes your niece can have these sentiments about men and still go on to have healthy relationships with men. I think right now it's key to remember your niece's frustration with men is okay. She has a right to feel anger, frustration, and confusion about men and their actions towards women. But that anger should not continuously consume her. What she needs to learn from this is how to navigate the gender dynamic and turn all her anger into positive results in having men benefit her life, not take from it. She hopefully will learn the right man can and should add to her life and be of use to her.

Thank you for articulating it this way. I was unable to find the words. I am afraid it is consuming her :cry3:

This is what i am struggling with. I know sometimes ladies may have their moments with men and feel frustrated, but i think it is more than mere frustration at this point.

Thank you for articulating it this way. I was unable to find the words. I am afraid it is consuming her :cry3:

This is what i am struggling with. I know sometimes ladies may have their moments with men and feel frustrated, but i think it is more than mere frustration at this point.
Im not frustrated i just have realistic expectations. Just the other day my coworker was mad that her SO didnt want to see Wicked when the play was here in Buffalo Last month....so she never went. Im like so just because your SO didnt want to go you mad? Girl bye. Thats not a place a dude wants to be and my SO is the last person that comes to mind that id want to see a play with. Same with Paint and Sip night, wine tours, etc. where are your GF's?:lachen: Stop dragging these useless boring lames to these girly events.

Eta: only have him pay for it. He need not attend.

Last edited:

Oh. Well I agree. I'm not too enamored of young men outside of my family.

She sounds smart. When she does settle down, I predict that she will choose well.

Sidenote, but I'm noticing a lot of young bw have their heads on straight, or at least straightER when it comes to men and their foolishness.

If that is the kind of men she knows, then she needs to hang around some other men. Perhaps of a higher caliber.

I wasn't gonna say all that :lol: but this thread is surprising. It doesn't really fall in line with most of the other ideals that are preached here but whatevs.

I wasn't gonna say all that :lol: but this thread is surprising. It doesn't really fall in line with most of the other ideals that are preached here but whatevs.

I mean there are a lot of bad men out there, however there still are some good men out there. I am not saying they are easy to find, but it is not all bad (or all good).

I mean there are a lot of bad men out there, however there still are some good men out there. I am not saying they are easy to find, but it is not all bad (or all good).
No one ever said theyre werent good men...but if her niece can sense this nonsense NOW she goodt. She'll pick wisely, spare her uterus, her wallet, trips to the clinic, heartache, and a few diseases until she finds the right one. This day in age you will pay severely for being naive, gullible, and ignorant to these degenerate ass men out here. Its not worth it.

What do you mean?
In personal experience it's a lions den in the dating world, even young. As a college woman with no experience, was deceived by men a lot. Fake relationships, cheating, fake persona, all that. Plus adding hip hop culture to the mix only makes it worse. I've heard many young men laugh at the idea of getting married. They would rather have a baby mama than a wife. You go through a couple of these guys and I'm not surprised when women get turned off completely.

What really helped me was being by myself focusing on me, which it sounds like your niece is already doing. I took a long break from dating. During that time I healed and learned how to navigate and only allow quality men in my circle.

Thats my experience of course but even as young as she is you may be surprised by the bs she's already experienced so far.

Back