SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

I decided to try a different deep conditioner. So I just tried the Sof n Free protein and olive oil conditioner. Well, my hair didnt like the stuff. It made it very hard and crunchy. I know it was the protein, my hair doesnt like protein. I had to cowash about 20 times to get my poor hair back to "normal". :nono:
My hair also refused to like the co wash cond I have used in the past. I had to change that also. My hair will not be the boss of me..... well I guess I will have to surrender. :perplexed
One good thing that came out of this is that now I can put my hair in a bun while in the shower. Really hopes this cuts down on manipulaton.

[USER=386583 said:
OriginalCrownandGlory[/USER];18254727]I see his thread started but I would like to follow along. Shoulder length is my goal for this year. I am not relaxed and I am currently wearing a weave. I intend to wear weaves the majority of this year. I tend to have the most retention when I leave my hair alone for long periods of time. I know my hair type is 4 but when it comes to the sub-categories I am lost. I do know I have a combination of medium and fine strands and that my hair requires protein often.

We aren't picky about join dates. Come on in!

My hair is finally touching my neck!!

I'm unsure if I'll make it to SL this year though. If I do, I'll just be grazing it, like BARELY.

I decided to try a different deep conditioner. So I just tried the Sof n Free protein and olive oil conditioner. Well, my hair didnt like the stuff. It made it very hard and crunchy. I know it was the protein, my hair doesnt like protein. I had to cowash about 20 times to get my poor hair back to "normal". :nono:
My hair also refused to like the co wash cond I have used in the past. I had to change that also. My hair will not be the boss of me..... well I guess I will have to surrender. :perplexed
One good thing that came out of this is that now I can put my hair in a bun while in the shower. Really hopes this cuts down on manipulaton.

Have you tried any of the Giovanni products? They have been very good to me. And the reconstructors that I have tried from Giovanni have left my hair strong but soft.

Oh, I have been very tempted to try Giovanni. Especially because of the views on this board.
I am trying very hard not to turn into a product junkie again.:look: Plus I guess I will just keep 'trying' to stick what is working for me. But they do have trial sizes somewhere...:rolleyes:

I think I'm going to jump in and join this challenge. My hair is NL right now and I'm using a whole host of methods to grow it out (vitamins, MN, JBCO, and the Nioxin system). If I'm not SL by next year, it'll be because my hair follicles died of exhaustion, but I gained an inch and a half in about 6 weeks, so I'll be happy if I keep that rate up.

Oh, I have been very tempted to try Giovanni. Especially because of the views on this board.
I am trying very hard not to turn into a product junkie again.:look: Plus I guess I will just keep 'trying' to stick what is working for me. But they do have trial sizes somewhere...:rolleyes:

Not trying to be the pusha lol but I've found the trial sizes at vitacost. :)

I think I'm going to jump in and join this challenge. My hair is NL right now and I'm using a whole host of methods to grow it out (vitamins, MN, JBCO, and the Nioxin system). If I'm not SL by next year, it'll be because my hair follicles died of exhaustion, but I gained an inch and a half in about 6 weeks, so I'll be happy if I keep that rate up.

Inch and a half in 6 weeks? Regimen please, what gave this tremendous growth?

Inch and a half in 6 weeks? Regimen please, what gave this tremendous growth?

I had a sew in during that period and I was using a mix of MN, jojoba oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and cayenne oil with a little sulfur 8, coconut oil, and doo gro anti itch oil on my scalp daily. I was also taking 10,000 biotin, 2000 MSM, a multi vitamin, evening primrose oil, and recently added garlic and fish oil. It seemed like most of that growth sprouted in the first 2-3 weeks, which was quite a shock since my hair usually grows pretty slowly.

I just started using JBCO and Nioxin last week.

Restarting my SL challenge, I dont think I will be SL by the end of the year, maybe NL, since I BC'ed not to long ago.

My current length I am going to say is neck length
I am natural
My retention method will be low manipulation with weaves

The starting pics I have are the pictures taking right before my current install. This is my hair freshly washed with no product but it is not stretched. I want to be full shoulder length by the end of this year. Right now my bang reaches my upper lip. Now that I look at the pic I may be just dusting my shoulders.

I can't get the last picture to show

Last edited:
I went ahead & did some kinky twists on Thursday/Friday & goodness gracious it took a long time to do them. I poo'd & did a protein treatment with ORS Hair Mayo for about 20 minutes then moisturizing DC with Elasta QP DPR 11+ for about 25. Hoping to keep the twists in for a while.

I made a new discovery as well. Every now & then my scalp would feel tingly & a burning sensation when I would DC but I could never figure out why. Then I started paying attention to the times that it would feel that way. The times that it happened, the conditioners that I used were ORS Replenishing, ORS Hair Mayo, Motions Silk Protein & a couple others that I used up & no longer have. Can anyone point out the common ingredient that may be in these that had my scalp feeling like I needed to peel it off? I'll give you a subtle hint. They all have protein in them!! Okay, I guess it that wasn't so subtle.:ohwell: It doesn't happen often because I only use these conditioners every few weeks. I normally use a moisturizing condish twice a week. I experimented this time to make sure though. This time I only applied the ORS Hair Mayo about a half an inch from my scalp to the ends & made sure not to touch my scalp at all. Then I put some on my edges (touching my scalp on purpose) just to see if this really was the issue. Low & behold, about 2 minutes after putting my plastic cap on, my edges started tingling & burning. :cry2::cry2: No more protein conditioner on my scalp. :naughty: The only time that it didn't really bother my scalp was with a couple of Organix conditioners (Coconut Milk in the white bottle & Acai Berry Avocado in the pink bottle) that I cowash with & I did rub them onto my scalp when I cowash. Is this what protein sensitive means or does that term only apply to hair & not the scalp?

Restarting my SL challenge, I dont think I will be SL by the end of the year, maybe NL, since I BC'ed not to long ago.

Just hang out with us anyone and try to have fun. I may not make it to SL either. I just use challenges to try to stay focused with my regimen and hair care.

I went ahead & did some kinky twists on Thursday/Friday & goodness gracious it took a long time to do them. I poo'd & did a protein treatment with ORS Hair Mayo for about 20 minutes then moisturizing DC with Elasta QP DPR 11+ for about 25. Hoping to keep the twists in for a while.

I made a new discovery as well. Every now & then my scalp would feel tingly & a burning sensation when I would DC but I could never figure out why. Then I started paying attention to the times that it would feel that way. The times that it happened, the conditioners that I used were ORS Replenishing, ORS Hair Mayo, Motions Silk Protein & a couple others that I used up & no longer have. Can anyone point out the common ingredient that may be in these that had my scalp feeling like I needed to peel it off? I'll give you a subtle hint. They all have protein in them!! Okay, I guess it that wasn't so subtle.:ohwell: It doesn't happen often because I only use these conditioners every few weeks. I normally use a moisturizing condish twice a week. I experimented this time to make sure though. This time I only applied the ORS Hair Mayo about a half an inch from my scalp to the ends & made sure not to touch my scalp at all. Then I put some on my edges (touching my scalp on purpose) just to see if this really was the issue. Low & behold, about 2 minutes after putting my plastic cap on, my edges started tingling & burning. :cry2::cry2: No more protein conditioner on my scalp. :naughty: The only time that it didn't really bother my scalp was with a couple of Organix conditioners (Coconut Milk in the white bottle & Acai Berry Avocado in the pink bottle) that I cowash with & I did rub them onto my scalp when I cowash. Is this what protein sensitive means or does that term only apply to hair & not the scalp?

Protein sensitive applies to the hair. It refers to hair that really has enough protein and can't take protein often.

It could be the protein in the products but it could be that protein conditioners tend to use an ingredient that moisturizing conditioners don't use. The products that you are using are far from natural so you should keep them away from your scalp. ORS ingredient list is pretty bad.

I think keeping protein conditioners away from your scalp is a good idea. Your scalp doesn't need protein. I wouldn't put moisturizing conditioners on the scalp either unless they are natural or intended to be used for a scalp treatment which a few conditioners are.

Dc'ed today but didn't use any shampoo. I will need to tomorrow morning though. I added some silk amino acid to my Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex shampoo because I'm out of protein shampoo and that's what I'll be using to wash my hair with in the morning. I need to keep my hair strong. Heaven knows I need a henna treatment and color as well.

Protein sensitive applies to the hair. It refers to hair that really has enough protein and can't take protein often.

It could be the protein in the products but it could be that protein conditioners tend to use an ingredient that moisturizing conditioners don't use. The products that you are using are far from natural so you should keep them away from your scalp. ORS ingredient list is pretty bad.

I think keeping protein conditioners away from your scalp is a good idea. Your scalp doesn't need protein. I wouldn't put moisturizing conditioners on the scalp either unless they are natural or intended to be used for a scalp treatment which a few conditioners are.

faithVA, thanks for responding! I didn't even know that I wasn't supposed to put moisturizing DC on my scalp either!! Boy you live & you learn! I guess I know now lol!

londonfog, I don't believe any conditioner belongs on the scalp. Conditioners are for moisturizing hair and usually leave a coating on the hair to protect strands after you rinse so if you put it on your scalp, you probably leave an icky coating on your scalp when your scalp which would interfere with sebum's moisturizing of the scalp. When I apply conditioner, I actually skip about an inch of hair close to the scalp and focus on the older sections of my hair. I baggy so sebum takes care of that secion close to my scalp. Ever since I stopped putting stuff on my scalp, I have not had itches and my scalp is never dry.

^^Some conditioners are for the scalp. If they are they will mention it specifically on the directions. AO conditioners will say to massage it into the scalp. Also DevaCurl Heaven in Hair. They are hair treatments and scalp treatments. I use my AO specifically for the scalp and it has helped tremendously. But I only use those that are designed for that purpose.

[USER=292332]faithVA[/USER];18289727 said:
^^Some conditioners are for the scalp. If they are they will mention it specifically on the directions. AO conditioners will say to massage it into the scalp. Also DevaCurl Heaven in Hair. They are hair treatments and scalp treatments. I use my AO specifically for the scalp and it has helped tremendously. But I only use those that are designed for that purpose.

Which AO conditioners say to massage into scalp? GPB and HSR are the ones I have used and don't remember ever seeing that. I woulda side-eyed the product that said that. Just like I don't believe conditioners can clean hair like shampoo can.

My scalp got itchy just at the thought of massaging conditioner into my scalp. :crazy: A produc-free scalp is so important to me that it is part of why even though I avoid getting conditioner to my scalp, I still dunk my head in an ACV solution and massage it till my scalp is tingling as a final step in my wash.

I use AO Blue Chamomile.

I know you don't believe in it. I have had good results with it though. It's the first time in 20 years I have had a scalp that doesn't itch. I especially like the Heaven In Hair. It has worked well for me.

Most conditioners don't say that but some do. But the point isn't which we prefer. The point is she should follow the directions on the conditioner.

@[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=292332 said:
faithVA[/URL];18289895"]I use AO Blue Chamomile.

I know you don't believe in it. I have had good results with it though. It's the first time in 20 years I have had a scalp that doesn't itch. I especially like the Heaven In Hair. It has worked well for me.

Most conditioners don't say that but some do. But the point isn't which we prefer. The point is she should follow the directions on the conditioner.

I do agree with following directions which is why I asked where it says to massage into scalp on Aubrey conditioners. Also I do like to use common sense and since using on my scalp a product whose purpose is to provide a conditioning coating on hair and still leave it after rinsing makes no sense to me, I don't do it. And I mention it so those who would consider the reasons for doing things before just jumping on the bandwagon but somehow never did think about this may give it some thought and maybe see if it makes any difference to not apply conditioner to scalp. I mean if no one ever says it, no one would know this option. I have gotten positive feedback from many people I made this suggestion to. I remember one poster who thought dandruff was her problem but came to find conditioner residue was the culprit and had no more itchy scalp or flakes after she stopped putting conditioner on her scalp.

And while on this note, I should mention that I consider CW a moisturizing procedure not a cleansing one and again conditioner goes on my hair; I don't massage into my scalp. The only thing I massage into my scalp is shampoo on wash day.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with pointing things out. People have different needs. Nothing wrong with people hearing both sides. Giving people the facts so they can eventually figure out what works for them is what matters.

I know for me, with the exception of oil, my scalp likes to be product free as well or it gets all itchy and scabby =/ no bueno

But I also do Co-washes but not to cleanse my scalp, just to recondition my hair after rinsing product off of it if my scalp is still clean

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

Nonie & faithVA, thanks ladies for y'alls help!! I haven't had an itchy scalp since I started my HHJ in around Sept or Oct 2012 but I know that daggone tingling during those specific times had to be from something that was going on my scalp that shouldn't be, lol! I'll keep the DC to about half an inch to an inch away from my scalp from now on including with the cowashes. :grin:

It's sad to see this post fall to the wayside...how's everyone doing??? Can we get some updates from all the lovely SLs? :)
My update - I have stopped pressing for the time being...too hot in LV for that! I sweat too much in my head. I am relearning my natural kinks since I've been straight since September. Doing braid outs on stretched hair, cowashing is not for me. Still slowly inching towards SL. Will definitely hit it by July a with a full SL/CBL by the October check-in.

I can check in sure. So, I have been growing my hair out. It's growing pretty fast....in the back. Which annoys me because my hair is kind of like a mullet now and I'm torn between trimming the back or just suffering through this stage.

I have about 3 more inches for the back to reach the bottom of my neck, so I'm looking at NL by September or so, which is my usual record but ARGH it's so frustrating. I hope that if I am NL by September, I can at least be skimming SL by December.

Back