SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

Take your left hand and put it on your right shoulder, then run your hand down your back until your feel the top of your shoulder blade. That is SL.

You will know it's your shoulder blade because when you roll your shoulder you will feel it go up and down.

I thought if hair was on top of the shoulder that was shoulder length. It seems that collarbone and shoulder length are the same then. So confusing.:drunk:

I thought if hair was on top of the shoulder that was shoulder length. It seems that collarbone and shoulder length are the same then. So confusing.:drunk:

[USER=95107]Mz.MoMo5235[/USER];18158691 said:
I'm always confused lol

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct

Wenbev you are right. SL starts right where NL ends and because shoulders slant you will still be at SL when you reach CBL. Collarbone length is also known as full shoulder length. See image below:

NonSkeletalHairGrowthChart-vi.jpg

Wenbev you are right. SL starts right where NL ends and because shoulders slant you will still be at SL when you reach CBL. Collarbone length is also known as full shoulder length. See image below:

Yay! I've missed seeing you Nonie! You always have the visuals needed =D

Nonie thank you!! I'll definitely make full SL/CBL by the October check in. I'm tall with a long neck but I'd say I'm three inches tops away barring any issues. :)

I think there is a little diversity on where shoulder length is. That explains why some of us consider it a longer than others. My attachment shows the shoulder length I am attempting to achieve. The chart I got from Naturally curly shows shoulder length around the same place as collar bone. This looks like full shoulder length on Nonie's chart.

Since the real goal of these challenges is to check the progress of our hair toward our personal goals either shoulder length is fine. Now I know I need to state my goal as full shoulder length to be clear. I have always dreamed of being full shoulder length my whole life, and this is the closest I have ever been. The suspense of finally crossing that milestone and being that long shoulder length; I am visualizing it; I can taste it.

Attachments

• hair-length-chart-clear.jpg
    hair-length-chart-clear.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 59
So now I'm technically shooting for cbl. :ohwell: I agree with you Wenbev. My hair is definitely growing out instead of down. When I comb my hair down very disappointing. :sad: So I will determine my growth by how big my hair is getting. If that makes sense.

So apparently I'm experiencing some kind of spurt because there are hairs poking out from under my hair wrap at night! Yay! My hair is growing much faster than I ever anticipated. I think working out and drinking water every day definitely helped. Last year, it was Dominos and soda every day for maybe 8 months (I was going through a bad period yall)

Anyway, I measured and it looks like I have 2 inches until the back layer of my hair reaches neck length so maybe like August? Is it still possible to still reach SL by the end of the year?

Also, for clarification, I don't measure from the crown but from the back/bottom of my head. Is this allowed for measurement?

Here are my length check pics:

Pic #1 is my starting pic from the beginning of March. Fresh TU.

Pic #2 was taken last Saturday, I'm right in front -- can't see my face, but you can see the length.

Pic #'s 3, 4 and 5 were taken about 5 minutes ago. I went to a stylist and let her do a "dusting". :nono:

Attachments

• March 2013.jpg
    March 2013.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.23.13.jpg
    3.23.13.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.31.13 length check after cut.jpg
    3.31.13 length check after cut.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.31.13.jpg
    3.31.13.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 61
  • front 3.31.13.jpg
    front 3.31.13.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 58
[USER=380627]naija24[/USER];18163191 said:
Also, for clarification, I don't measure from the crown but from the back/bottom of my head. Is this allowed for measurement?

As long as I have been on forums, it's where the hair reaches when viewed from the back, whether relaxed or natural and pressed or stretched. Because the hair at your nape is lowest on your head, where that hair reaches is really what most people use as their length check, regardless of whether people have a blunt cut or hair in layers. So what you are doing is the norm.

But really the main thing is to pick a section to refer to and stick to it. Your hair growth can be monitored by referring to length change in any part of your head. So whether you use your nape like most people or side or front, it does not matter coz change in length will reflect growth in that area. And really, you aren't racing with anyone but gauging your own progress. So whatever rocks your boat, use that and stick with it for consistency and good comparison.

Ok ladies. Yesterday I washed and DC my hair. She almost gave me a fit but she feels soft and moisturized this A.M. I think I have to make sure I take down my celies every week until I reach SL because it was a rough detangling session after about 2 wks. I swear I feel like my hair grew out of nowhere because it is definitely back to or close to where it was before I butchered my hair...

Before butcher (end of November)

ForumRunner_20130401_110313.jpg

ForumRunner_20130401_110344.jpg

Now:

ForumRunner_20130401_110401.jpg

ForumRunner_20130401_110411.jpg

Here are my length check pics:

Pic #1 is my starting pic from the beginning of March. Fresh TU.

Pic #2 was taken last Saturday, I'm right in front -- can't see my face, but you can see the length.

Pic #'s 3, 4 and 5 were taken about 5 minutes ago. I went to a stylist and let her do a "dusting". :nono:

Stuff like that keeps me home scared...
I live in a predominantly white area and I notice when they "cut" my daughters hair you could barely tell anything was gone. So I think I'll probably converse with a few stylist in the area and gauge their knowledge of black hair. If it looks bleak, I have a friend who dates a black guy with dreads. She gotta know something!

Happy Easter ladies! Check in time. Thought I'd flat iron for check in's instead- easier to see the progress. This is my 2nd attempt at flat ironing since going natural. It's still terrible but an improvement on the first attempt. Any tips on achieving silky straight natural hair would be greatly appreciated!

image-1040042367.jpg

And another pic of my shaggy do. Ah well, at least it's growing! Can't wait for SL this year. Crossing my fingers for October

image-939835930.jpg

Happy Easter ladies! Check in time. Thought I'd flat iron for check in's instead- easier to see the progress. This is my 2nd attempt at flat ironing since going natural. It's still terrible but an improvement on the first attempt. Any tips on achieving silky straight natural hair would be greatly appreciated!

nm51tj Do not use any moisturizer on your hair before you flat iron. All your moisture should come from conditioning. The only thing that should be on your hair when you straighten should be a heat protectant. I prefer to airdry my hair in braids with nothing on. Then I take a very narrow section and get it wet with a heat protectant spray (John Frieda Heat Defense) and pass the flat iron over it. I repeat that till all my hair has been pressed once with the spray on it. Next I start again with very narrow sections and apply a heat protectant serum to seal (John Frieda Thermal Protection Serum) and pass the iron over each section in turn.

Working on small sections ensures my hair is carefully coated and protected w/o needing to use too much product. Letting hair dry first before using spray allows me to make sure that all the wetness on my hair is protection only which means my hair is well coated/protected.

Not using other products means that protectant adheres well to your hair so it's well sealed. If you use a moisturizer, it gets burned in the process and since it isn't supposed to be used with heat, who knows what other damage you're causing? Also that awful smell folks associate with straightening IMO is not OK. I don't get a smell when I flat iron as I described.

For more on this, check out @westNDNbeauty's thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

My method.
on clean hair that has been deep conditioned.
Apply garnier fructis leave in conditioner. Then apply garnier fructis smoothing serum.
Blow dry my hair using a comb attachment.
Section my hair into four. Turn my flatirons to the medium setting. Idk how much heat that is, I just stop if I hear sizzling and popping, or if I see smoke, or if I can SMELL anything. Then I spray one section with the garnier fructis heat protectant. Then use a comb to stretch the hair out as I apply the flatirons.

This is just the method that works for me. And the cheapest product line I have found that works since all 3 probably cost $10.

I'm no longer natural since I got a perm two weeks ago.

ForumRunner_20130401_200226.jpg

ForumRunner_20130401_200419.jpg

nm51tj Do not use any moisturizer on your hair before you flat iron. All your moisture should come from conditioning. The only thing that should be on your hair when you straighten should be a heat protectant. I prefer to airdry my hair in braids with nothing on. Then I take a very narrow section and get it wet with a heat protectant spray (John Frieda Heat Defense) and pass the flat iron over it. I repeat that till all my hair has been pressed once with the spray on it. Next I start again with very narrow sections and apply a heat protectant serum to seal (John Frieda Thermal Protection Serum) and pass the iron over each section in turn.

Working on small sections ensures my hair is carefully coated and protected w/o needing to use too much product. Letting hair dry first before using spray allows me to make sure that all the wetness on my hair is protection only which means my hair is well coated/protected.

Not using other products means that protectant adheres well to your hair so it's well sealed. If you use a moisturizer, it gets burned in the process and since it isn't supposed to be used with heat, who knows what other damage you're causing? Also that awful smell folks associate with straightening IMO is not OK. I don't get a smell when I flat iron as I described.

For more on this, check out @westNDNbeauty's thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

Thank you so much! I'll give it a try!

My method: I do a prepoo of ceramide rich oils for either 30 min with heat or and hour or two without. Shampoo with Giovanni smooth as silk deep moisture, 10min with Giovanni nutrafix reconstructor, dc wish Giovanni deep moisture condish for 30 min or so with heat rinse out and add Giovanni direct leave in lightly. Braid hair up and air dry. Add redken's smooth down or another serum like heat protectant lightly blow, and press hair. Follow with flat iron for curl and body. So far that's what's worked for me to get pin straight hair that stays straight until I wash and reverts when wet.
*Forgot to mention, flatiron is set at 375 degrees and is only used once. I would not recommened using wet products prior to flat ironing.

Last edited:
As long as I have been on forums, it's where the hair reaches when viewed from the back, whether relaxed or natural and pressed or stretched. Because the hair at your nape is lowest on your head, where that hair reaches is really what most people use as their length check, regardless of whether people have a blunt cut or hair in layers. So what you are doing is the norm.

But really the main thing is to pick a section to refer to and stick to it. Your hair growth can be monitored by referring to length change in any part of your head. So whether you use your nape like most people or side or front, it does not matter coz change in length will reflect growth in that area. And really, you aren't racing with anyone but gauging your own progress. So whatever rocks your boat, use that and stick with it for consistency and good comparison.

Okay, so then I measured from the nape of my neck to the start of my shoulders and it's about 5-5.5 inches. So I should get to SL by maybe this time next year :/ and grazing it by the end of this year. Which kind of sucks. And that's if I have zero setbacks.

Ok so April is the check in month.and my first check in for this challenge :)

So my starting length is some where around nl I guess.

I'm natural

I shaved my head May 5 2012 (I was already natural. Shaved for other reasons)

My goal is to be full sl in the back by the end of the year? I don't want to say "full on" sl since my hair is in natural layers and I won't be doing any blunt cuts any time soon.

My reggie is really simple:
Wash with suave naturals when my scalp says so

Cond with aussie moist

Water rinses when I want

Oil as needed with evco, evoo, castor oil, and eo mixed

Leave in sallys genetic biolage cond (yes I use a rinse out cond as a leave in)

Air dry in a fro or in a pony (now that I can actually pony ^_^)

I take Flintstone gummies when I feel like it. I try to drink 96oz of water a day, I eat crappy, don't work out though I should, no growth aids although I drink a lot of milk which has biotin in it...

View attachment 202939

This pic is a few days to a week old so very recent :)

Ok so April is the check in month.and my first check in for this challenge :)

So my starting length is some where around nl I guess.

I'm natural

I shaved my head May 5 2012 (I was already natural. Shaved for other reasons)

My goal is to be full sl in the back by the end of the year? I don't want to say "full on" sl since my hair is in natural layers and I won't be doing any blunt cuts any time soon.

My reggie is really simple:
Wash with suave naturals when my scalp says so

Cond with aussie moist

Water rinses when I want

Oil as needed with evco, evoo, castor oil, and eo mixed

Leave in sallys genetic biolage cond (yes I use a rinse out cond as a leave in)

Air dry in a fro or in a pony (now that I can actually pony ^_^)

I take Flintstone gummies when I feel like it. I try to drink 96oz of water a day, I eat crappy, don't work out though I should, no growth aids although I drink a lot of milk which has biotin in it...

This pic is a few days to a week old so very recent :)

This gives me hope!!! You went from totally shaved to THAT in seven months? That's amazing to me. You'll be shoulder length by August at that rate.

Back