Shorthaircareforum discussion board - Post #1

CoCoGirl821 said:
I HAVE A HOME!!!:p But anyway, I'm short too, and hating it. I just really wish my hair was long enough to even wear a phony poni. The back of my hair is slightly touching the back of my shoulders, yet the front...is getting on my nerves. I have had some major breakage in the crown of my head, that is frinally under control, or so I thought. However, this shedding is not the business. These last couple of weeks I broke my no heat regime and have been flat ironing my hair. My last relaxer did not get my hair straight enough, so in order for my hair to look like something I have to flat iron. I am thinking about going to get a sew-in. Before that I am going to get it thought I have to get a much needed trim (which will take some of my length away) and hopefully this will stop me from having to deal with my own hair for now.

for the shedding have you tried garlic shampoo??? and yes like someone mentioned maybe try finding a good wig and plus they will keep your head warm during the winter months(i brought my first one from a BSS and thats what turned me on and got me hooked on Freetress wigs....try Gmbshair.com they are alot cheaper than what i paid for in a BSS....19.95 each....i have 3 of the full cap wigs by Freetress in my album and in my pics)....wigs were my lifesaver because i was going thru the same thing and actually thinking about cutting my hair back short again..i used heat on my hair two weeks later and saw how much difference my hair had grown...i just wear my wigs to work and maybe out but other than that i wear my scarf in a bun....i moisturize my hair with right now my products are Palmer Gro Treatment, B&B Grow Oil, and Lenzis Request..but i keep my hair moisturized underneath (morning and night) and wash once to twice a week....i had got a sew in done too but i was worried about the hair that was left out and breakage so i took it out a few days later...

I had to get in on this thread and put in my two cents. It seems like I have had neck length hair forever. I am growing out layers which seems like the hardest thing ever in life to do but I refuse to give up due to threads like this. I guess the challenges will make my victory of Bra Stap Length even sweeter.

for some reason or another, ORS olive oil is the ONLY thing that lays my hair down...let me explain:

i am 2 months post relaxer and have 1"+ new growth, especially on the edges...after i wash, i apply the LUST, which makes and keeps (while drying) my hair soft and manageable...i section into 4 parts and secure them with the little scrunchies...then i go back and oil my scalp with the ORS olive oil...i comb my hair back with a very large-toothed comb and put on my weave cap (with the netting at the top)...after about one hour, my hair is slicked back, moisturized, feeling soft and good and ready for a wig, fall or whatever. i keep my hair like this until i'm ready to wash.

this is the only thing i can do to my hair until it grows out and becomes strong enough to put it in a bun.

i am currently trying to see how much longer i can go without a touch-up...i'm in no rush, so maybe i'll do it close to the beginning of the year so i can record the growth better.

i applied my aphogee protein treatment this weekend because i started having lots of breakage (well, more than usual - about 5 hair more)...it worked!

i also discovered a great pre-poo treatment for me:
elasta qp drp-11 OR queen helene cholesteral (all over my hair and scalp)
AND
mtg squirted on my scalp from a color applicator bottle

i massaged my scalp for a while and left in on for about an hour or so...this was only used BEFORE my co-washes...it made my hair so darned soft!!!!!

can't wait to get to the point where my neck is covered, at least ;)!!!!

from36to38 said:
have you considered wigs?
i am TOTALLY gonna go that route until i am at a suitable length and strength...i don't care if anyone thinks it's phony or even if it looks a bit unreal - i'll just have to rock an over-the-top persona to match! :D

You sound just like me! I've been wearing a wig for the past week or so and I love it. I like that I can take it off at night and moisturize the heck out of my hair and that I don't have to wear it everyday either. I think my wig looks pretty natural but like you I'm so whatever if it doesn't look totally real. In a year or so I hope my hair will be at a nice length so I might as well have fun wearing these wigs in the meantime.

Yea!! This thread is back!! It was my first post ever. I feel so much more knowledgable since then. You ladies have really helped a sista out!

TeeKay21 said:
Yea!! This thread is back!! It was my first post ever. I feel so much more knowledgable since then. You ladies have really helped a sista out!

Teekay guuurrrllll! Your hair is so pretty!

nadz said:
Question, ladies: So how do you all try protective styles (if you do)?

I was wearing my hair up everyday, but I was looking a mess. I need to be cute. :D I think I will revisit protective styles as I get longer.

I use to use clip ins to help give me more volume for putting my hair up, but I got sick of dealing with that everyday.

I am worried about the winter wind and cold, though :eek: I cringe when my hair is blowing from the cold air.

I am looking into some scarfs and wraps to put on while I am outside.

I'm so thankful for this thread, now I feel like I can actually contribute to hair discussions!

I'm not sure what protective styling entails for others - but for me , it's anything that keeps my ends from brushing against my collar. I've been able to accomplish this with a few styles

phony bun:

s54420550.jpg

My french rolls. Sometimes I'll pin all my hair up, other times i'll leave parts hanging or a sweeping bang (as in the pic below)

m57068582.jpg

Spiral/roller set look, this was actually done with a flat iron. I tried to maintain the curls by pincurling at night. When it got old looking, I'd pin the back up and leave the top/sides loosely hanging (I'm the one on the far left)

m59733303.jpg

I've been experimenting with texlaxing, I love the effects. My hair will air-dry curly or flat iron/blow dry straight. It's bouncy, flowy and very soft. I'll never go bone straight again

SO glad I found this thread!

Your hair looks great SummerRain.

I just bought 2 phoney pony tails and I'm so nervous to wear them. Other than micro braids I've never worn fake hair but because everyone says its a great protective style I figured why not.

SummerRain said:
I'm so thankful for this thread, now I feel like I can actually contribute to hair discussions!

I'm not sure what protective styling entails for others - but for me , it's anything that keeps my ends from brushing against my collar. I've been able to accomplish this with a few styles

All of these look really nice!!

Hi SummerRain!
You are delightfully pretty and I love your bun! Gorgeous!

Where were you from originally in New Jersey. I was born and raised in Plainfield, now living in Franklin Park.

Those styles are so cute SummerRain:) I my hair is knockin on shoulder length so for protective styles I finger comb it back into a baby bun and use hair pins to secure it. To keep it looking semi-cute I do a soft swoop in the front and a couple of rollers to make a little wave in my hair. Putting on jewerly also makes it look a little better. People assume I got my hair pulled back to draw attention to a necklace I have on.

january noir said:
Hi SummerRain!
You are delightfully pretty and I love your bun! Gorgeous!

Where were you from originally in New Jersey. I was born and raised in Plainfield, now living in Franklin Park.

Hey!! Small world, I was born & raised in Franklin! I know some Pfield folks, assuming we're about the same age (29) we probably know a lot of the same people!

GymFreak - you're right about dressing up a bun/pulled back style. I use those moments to play up my lashes, eyemake up, etc.

thank u for the compliments ladies!!!

ETA: January, I just noticed your tagline & age (lol) you still probably know my family! send me a PM

Last edited:
what styles can u do if you hair isn't long enough for a bun or any of that stuff..

I think mine is like a short bob-sort of-what can I do with it..
i think u can see the pic a lil in my avator and my fotki...let me see if I can post it.

yankgal007 said:
what styles can u do if you hair isn't long enough for a bun or any of that stuff..

I think mine is like a short bob-sort of-what can I do with it..
i think u can see the pic a lil in my avator and my fotki...let me see if I can post it.

Looking at your fotki, I think your hair is long enough to pull it back and attach a phony bun. my bun has a comb/clip in it. and i pin it on the sides. u may need a bit of gel or something to slick your hair down - but u can do it

SummerRain said:
Looking at your fotki, I think your hair is long enough to pull it back and attach a phony bun. my bun has a comb/clip in it. and i pin it on the sides. u may need a bit of gel or something to slick your hair down - but u can do it

I agree. You can just get a phony bun. Or you might be able to use a donut on your own hair. I pull my TWA back into a bun or phony pony and I'm sure your hair is longer than mines Yankgal. I only have 4 or 5 inches to work with. And it's not straight when I pull it back.

Thanks so much for this post. I actually have been lurking this site for months now, but finding this thread made me offically subscribe. I have never had long hair, the longest it has ever been is slightly passed my shoulders. In January I finally got fed up with my damaged hair and cut it all off. I've tried short hair before and for some reason it was so hard for me to manage in the past. Luckily with this cut I am fortunate to have a stylist who is afforadable enough for me to go weekly. It's almost been a yr and I am now ready to at least try to grow it out to chin length. I think the hardest part is going to be letting go of the heat, since currently I use it at least 3x a week. The top part of my hair is long enough for rollers but not the sides or back. I am very particular about the way my hair looks so I hope I can find some great ideas on syling without heat from other posters who have short hair. Thanks, once again great thread!!

Hi Derbygurl:wave:, I'm glad you decided to join LHCF. I've never had long hair either so I know how you feel. And I agree with you, this is a great thread!

I'm happy I found this thread. I have short hair and its hard for me to put it in any protective style. Even when I wear a scarf at night the thing slides off :lol:
I tried the baggie method but that slid off my ends as well. Currently I wear a a wig when I go out. I don't want to wear my hair out for awhile because I have a chubby face. Short hair doesn't look too good on a chubby full face.
Any tips for protective styles for short hair is appreciated. :)

OT... SummerRain, you are sooo sessay! :drool:

Anyways, what do you ladies that wear wigs do for working out? My hair is too short for phony ponies. I usually work out 4-5 days a week, but this stretching with short hair thang got me lookin crazy! How do you do it or any suggestions???

Edited to add: don't even mention braids (i.e. extentions, etc). My head is allergic to weave that touches the scalp. No lie LOL

Last edited:
Shalilac said:
OT... SummerRain, you are sooo sessay! :drool:

Anyways, what do you ladies that wear wigs do for working out? My hair is too short for phony ponies. I usually work out 4-5 days a week, but this stretching with short hair thang got me lookin crazy! How do you do it or any suggestions???

Edited to add: don't even mention braids (i.e. extentions, etc). My head is allergic to weave that touches the scalp. No lie LOL

well i wear my wigs during the daytime at work or to the store...and then when i get home and even go to workout i wrap my hair up in a scarf/bun...so far its been a great regimen for me..i wash and condition like every 3 or 4 days...and then to check my progress i'll wash and condition it and then blowdry it to straighten it out(but this is usually after 2 to 3 weeks of letting my hair air dry or i sit under my soft bonnett dryer and let it dry)....yea im staying away for braids/sewin weaves for right now also..

Shalilac said:
Anyways, what do you ladies that wear wigs do for working out?

I only wear my fall or phony pony to work, and when I get home, I take it off and pin my hair up into a few pincurls or a mini French twist. Then I slap an old bandana on (helps absorb the sweat) and continue with my workout. I cowash once a week and shampoo once a week. If I sweated a lot during my workout, then I'll rinse my edges and nape (where I sweat the most) with water while I'm in the shower. Then I just put some Fantasia gel or Beyond the Zone Stiff Head on my edges and tie them down for the night. Works for me!

For about 9 months my main styles consisted of sewn-in weaves, flattwist buns, and braids. I didn't relax at all during that period of time.

This was my hair last november (i had severe breakage in the back from overprocessing so it was cut very low & tapered)

s12011115.jpg

and this is my progress a year later...i can't say that i would have retained any length or had this much progress without that 9 month stretch/100% protective styling. Like Derby stated, my hair was just too short to NOT use heat and for whatever reason, at that length it seemed like i had no other choice but to relax more often.

s60302383.jpg

I can pull it all back now and do a phony bun, updo's/rolls and rollerset styles, but a year ago....the ONLY option for protective styling was the weaves, flattwists buns, braids, etc.

Thanks Ladies! I actually was wearing scarves to work out, but I was the only sista in the gym with a scarf on... so I kept thinking that maybe it was a no no LOL. I'll just keep wearing mine then. Thanks again!

SummerRain said:
For about 9 months my main styles consisted of sewn-in weaves, flattwist buns, and braids. I didn't relax at all during that period of time.

This was my hair last november (i had severe breakage in the back from overprocessing so it was cut very low & tapered)

s12011115.jpg

and this is my progress a year later...i can't say that i would have retained any length or had this much progress without that 9 month stretch/100% protective styling. Like Derby stated, my hair was just too short to NOT use heat and for whatever reason, at that length it seemed like i had no other choice but to relax more often.

s60302383.jpg

I can pull it all back now and do a phony bun, updo's/rolls and rollerset styles, but a year ago....the ONLY option for protective styling was the weaves, flattwists buns, braids, etc.
First of all OMG you are so pretty! Second of all, you just answered a question I posted in another tread.... I am now in the exact same place you were in a year ago. I am 5 weeks post with an inch of NG. I workout 5 days a week... I was wearing my UPA clip at first which was working but I went to a hair dresser and she cut 3 or more inches off (which needed to go) but it just jacked my protective styling method up! My hair is popping all out the sides and my bangs are too short. On top of that I have like new baby hairs all mixed in to my hair line that's about 1.5 to 2 inches long that look crazy after I work out. This is good news because my edges are growing back in :yay: but they look funny after a good sweat!

I feel like I'm punking out for some reason though, but judging from your progress, I know I wouldn't be....:look:

Back