**shacking Random Thoughts**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too afraid of shacking. The traditionalist in me is so rigid plus I'm paranoid that I'll be so sprung with the regular D everyday that I might be engaged for 10 yrs without realizing it. Since I know my weakness, the only way I can do it is 6 months before the wedding after the invitations have gone out.

I would not shack with a guy who was not thirsty to marry me. In my relationship, I'm the one like, 'Hey, why don't we wait until xyz? :look:', so my perspective may be different than most. At this point, he's working to meet the conditions for me to marry him. I don't see why I'd deprive myself of regular D. :look:

I shacked before marriage for 2 yrs. When we met we both knew the end point was marriage. I had never shacked and was against it but my friend made me think about the free rent meaning extra money to shop with :look: :lol:

While shacking I did not cook, clean or do his laundry. All I was responsible was stocking the fridge. Soon after we did get cleaning service and continue to use them.

I shacked before marriage for 2 yrs. When we met we both knew the end point was marriage. I had never shacked and was against it but my friend made me think about the free rent meaning extra money to shop with :look: :lol:

While shacking I did not cook, clean or do his laundry. All I was responsible was stocking the fridge. Soon after we did get cleaning service and continue to use them.
:yep: That's the safest way to do it, I think. Like I said, I only cook cuz I like cooking and I gotta eat.

As an unrelated side note, let me just say this. I been with this man a looooong time. The only reason we're not already married is because *I* had things I needed to handle first. The major one was health. I became disabled a year or so into our relationship. (It's not anything you would ever notice, but it's extremely painful, to the point that I'm unable to work outside the home.) When that happened, as noted, we were still early in our relationship. I gave him to option to break up many, many times and he insisted on staying with me.

I would not have left my mother's house without those assurances. He has known from the beginning that I'm very serious about my birth control, there will be no oops babies here, but because of who he was (black, middle class, well-educated with good prospects) his family, I think, were suspicious of me initially. Not his mom, she's great, but everybody else. And I didn't gaf. Over time, as I've managed NOT to get pregnant :rolleyes:, and they've seen how well I feed him, they've come to love me.

My health is slightly better now (thanks solely to my brain and his money) and his career is moving along, so we might get married soon but, if you think of me as an 'accomplished shacker', lol, understand that while I may be conducting the train (the timeline), we already had an agreed-upon destination (marriage). I made him declare his intentions about two weeks into the relationship. :look:

:yep: That's the safest way to do it, I think. Like I said, I only cook cuz I like cooking and I gotta eat.

As an unrelated side note, let me just say this. I been with this man a looooong time. The only reason we're not already married is because *I* had things I needed to handle first. The major one was health. I became disabled a year or so into our relationship. (It's not anything you would ever notice, but it's extremely painful, to the point that I'm unable to work outside the home.) When that happened, as noted, we were still early in our relationship. I gave him to option to break up many, many times and he insisted on staying with me.

I would not have left my mother's house without those assurances. He has known from the beginning that I'm very serious about my birth control, there will be no oops babies here, but because of who he was (black, middle class, well-educated with good prospects) his family, I think, were suspicious of me initially. Not his mom, she's great, but everybody else. And I didn't gaf. Over time, as I've managed NOT to get pregnant :rolleyes:, and they've seen how well I feed him, they've come to love me.

My health is slightly better now (thanks solely to my brain and his money) and his career is moving along, so we might get married soon but, if you think of me as an 'accomplished shacker', lol, understand that while I may be conducting the train (the timeline), we already had an agreed-upon destination (marriage). I made him declare his intentions about two weeks into the relationship. :look:
Lmao I love to cook but it's too much. I love Nigerian food, he doesn't. I'm not making 2 diff meals and I looooove eating out unfortunately.
I hope your health issue has improved. As for oops babies....well let's just say I'm pro choice :look:

Lmao I love to cook but it's too much. I love Nigerian food, he doesn't. I'm not making 2 diff meals and I looooove eating out unfortunately.
I swear to you, I only cook because I don't work. I would be completely unwilling to do it if I was actually bringing in money (cuz then I'd feel free to order take-out of the same quality as the food I cook. He okays it on those occassions when I don't cook, of course, but I wouldn't want to be frivolous with somebody else's money on a regular basis.).

I hope your health issue has improved. As for oops babies....well let's just say I'm pro choice :look:
I've been having sex almost 20 years now and I've never been pg. I don't know what people are doing out here, what kinda risky behavior they've been engaging in, but I still have a hard time believing those 'Oops, I got pregnant' stories. I mean, I guess, but :look:.

I missed the part where you said you don't work. Food better be on the table for him daily ....as long as it doesn't affect your health
I swear to you, I only cook because I don't work. I would be completely unwilling to do it if I was actually bringing in money (cuz then I'd feel free to order take-out of the same quality as the food I cook. He okays it on those occassions when I don't cook, of course, but I wouldn't want to be frivolous with somebody else's money on a regular basis.).

I've been having sex almost 20 years now and I've never been pg. I don't know what people are doing out here, what kinda risky behavior they've been engaging in, but I still have a hard time believing those 'Oops, I got pregnant' stories. I mean, I guess, but :look:.
dude.....I know. Smh

Oh is this a justify the choice to live with someone thread?

I'm watching this thread because this option has presented itself. I know couples who this has worked for and those who it hasn't

Oh is this a justify the choice to live with someone thread?
:lol: A large part of doing a thing is deciding to do a thing... no? :look:

Sharing our decision-making processes may help someone reading this. Many bw struggle with the decision to shack or not. It might be helpful to them to know that they are, in fact, allowed to set their own parameters for the relationship. :yep:

:lol: A large part of doing a thing is deciding to do a thing... no? :look:

Sharing our decision-making processes may help someone reading this. Many bw struggle with the decision to shack or not. It might be helpful to them to know that they are, in fact, allowed to set their own parameters for the relationship. :yep:

Actually that's s good point and I agree with you. I guess my concern was on this forum that justification is born out of judgment from the marriage is everything crew. Wifely duties? Plans to get married? How long are you shacking? How soon before the wedding?

And I guess nothing is wrong with that or those questions but I'd rather err to the side of uplift in this forum than judgment no matter what my personal opinions are. If you look at my replies in many of the topics it usually follows the formula of A. My personal opinion B. It can work, no universal formula or doom and gloom. LHCF girls love hard and fast rules and if you're coming here for support in living with the man you approached first who hasnt asked you to marry him after the first 6 Months you might get dragged with responses of how it couldn't be them and your relationship is doomed or he can't love you for those reasons. And any differing opinion is seen as taking it personal.

I hope I'm making sense.

I typed up a description of my personal experience but I'm waiting until I hear a few confirmations before I'll really share. Sorry I like to keep things close until I know for sure.

Actually that's s good point and I agree with you. I guess my concern was on this forum that justification is born out of judgment from the marriage is everything crew. Wifely duties? Plans to get married? How long are you shacking? How soon before the wedding?

And I guess nothing is wrong with that or those questions but I'd rather err to the side of uplift in this forum than judgment no matter what my personal opinions are. If you look at my replies in many of the topics it usually follows the formula of A. My personal opinion B. It can work, no universal formula or doom and gloom. LHCF girls love hard and fast rules and if you're coming here for support in living with the man you approached first who hasnt asked you to marry him after the first 6 Months you might get dragged with responses of how it couldn't be them and your relationship is doomed or he can't love you for those reasons. And any differing opinion is seen as taking it personal.

I hope I'm making sense.

I typed up a description of my personal experience but I'm waiting until I hear a few confirmations before I'll really share. Sorry I like to keep things close until I know for sure.
I understand. I talked about my situation and my parameters cuz... that's the point of this thread. :look: Nobody has to do it how I'm doing it. I do think I'm doing it well, though, and that my experiences may be helpful to someone else who would like to be on the shack-then-marry track . But, no, I don't care if people plan to get married or not. I commended carawalker's decision to find a guy for rent and amusement. I certainly didn't get the impression she planned to marry him. :lol:

LHCF girls love hard and fast rules and if you're coming here for support in living with the man you approached first who hasnt asked you to marry him after the first 6 Months you might get dragged with responses of how it couldn't be them and your relationship is doomed or he can't love you for those reasons. And any differing opinion is seen as taking it personal.
:lachen: In this hypothetical situation, I'd inquire about her preferred outcome. If she's just messing around and he's hitting it right and regular, sheeeeiiiiit, I ain't mad. :lol: Enjoy the D and the side benefits, whatever they may be. :yep: I'd probably try to discourage babies (if she were heading in that direction), but other than that, hey, get in where you fit in.

But. If her preferred outcome is marriage, I'd probably want to know how she intended to go from point A to point B. If the plan isn't realistic, I would do my best to help her improve upon it.

^^^ right. I think this thread can be informative and supportive.

I'd be like sis... Get your priorities in order but go for it. It could be fun. But... Marriage to this man may not be the outcome. Just saying.

I had a few offers to shack with past boyfriends. I should've took them up on it. For the finances alone! I've paid way too much in rent.

I like shacking.:look:

But I dont think it means the same thing to me that it means to other women.

For me it's a matter of convenience. If we're in a relationship, I'm not driving back and forth, going through the hassle of arranging mutually compatible schedules, waiting on someone else's time or treating someone like a guest or being treated like a guest. If we're having sex regularly and always sleeping in the same bed I ain't knocking on his damn door and damn sure ain't getting up to let him in when he's here every damn day. lol I need to comfortable. To be relaxed around and with someone things need to be personalized and feel organic. Otherwise I'm uncomfortable feeling like I'm in somebody's else's space or dealing with them invading mine..

Plus I tend to some kinda ownership. This is where my alpha female comes out. My territory must be marked, I'm taking claim and it has to be on display front and center. This is probably why it always seems like I get special treatment around my friends and loved ones. lol If you're anyone that's close to me that means I feel at home with you. I know you, you know me. real ish. no fake bs. raw form. Since I'm an introvert the only way that happens is if I've lived with you or you with me regularly at some point for whatever reason. tu casa, mi casa. other wise I dont know your arse like that :lol:

come to think about it, regardless of who's house I've lived with everyone who's close to me at some point. friends and relatives. I met my best friend in college during a random group extra credit. Our profesor asked if she could ride in my car, fast forward less that 2 months later she moved out of her dorm and into my apartment that summer for 3 months til it was time for fall semester. Now we're BFFs, going on 11 years :grin:

but then again, it's probably different to me since I've yet to make a personal investment in or independently responsible for the financial burden of my place. I can do as I please. I dont care. lol. :look:

Last edited:
I aint shame. I shackled with my ex for 5 years before marriage. As most yall know we were together 20 years. I hesitate to write how we did our shaking years as its obviously not a "fairytale end". 16 years later, our divorce had nothing to do with shacking. I am realist who realizes life and relationships happen and do what they do...

I like shacking.:look:

But I dont think it means the same thing to me that it means to other women.

For me it's a matter of convenience. If we're in a relationship, I'm not driving back and forth, going through the hassle of arranging mutually compatible schedules, waiting on someone else's time or treating someone like a guest or being treated like a guest. If we're having sex regularly and always sleeping in the same bed I ain't knocking on his damn door and damn sure ain't getting up to let him in when he's here every damn day. lol I need to comfortable. To be relaxed around and with someone things need to be personalized and feel organic. Otherwise I'm uncomfortable feeling like I'm in somebody's else's space or dealing with them invading mine..

This all day!

Oh, ok. The way it was written, it sounded like one of those ":pop:" posts.

Shacking gets a bad rep.

It's no better or worse than any than any other preference relationship setup.

People are the real problem.

. For a relationship to grow you have to get close to someone and they to you. That's always a risk, in any type of relationship. Nonetheless it must be done. The sooner the better fact of the matter is you don't ever really know someone until you live them. From physical to emotional to sexual intimacy, you have to be aroudn somenoe as a part of your life to know if they will fit into your life.
That said, shacking is just one of the easier scapegoat for failed intimacy, poor interpersonal judgment and sheer laziness. Living with someone and sharing a life with someone before you decide to build a life with them is not the problem. The problem is poor self-discipline, shoddy boundaries and a lack of self-awareness. when it comes to choosing others to invest in. Some people seem to have absolutely no intuition. Its like they don't trust themselves. Like they rarely to never go with their gut instincts. Cant read people for ish since they can barely even read themselves. So If dating/relationships are supposed to be a numbers game some folks are more likely to be wrong than right in their choosing. :look:

Almost every failed shacker I've known already failed before they started shacking. that ish wasnt neva gonna work. :lol: The answer was there the minute to the hour to the day the first met someone. But for some reason it seems some people choose not to believe it. Instead they waste time hoping in things that are not there with the wrong people in deadend situations that was already doomed from the start.

So for those people, yea I can see how shacking is bad. If you're prone to pickign the wrong people, have experienced multiple heartbreaks and have a trackrecord of multiple failed personal relationships (family, friends, love, etc) I can see how shaacking is a risk that's not worth it. Esp if youe one of those people that when chances are if that in a crowded room healthy people seem to have a knack for finding the craziest or single most effed up one literally all the time. yea, shacking might devastate you a woman like that.....

I've always preferred to go with my first instinct. I've never been one to grow in love, change feelings or acquire more feelings about someone. For all of my closest loved ones and most meaningful relationships, I knew I loved them almost right away. The first risk I made on them was the right one years later........

Last edited:
That said, shacking is just one of the easier scapegoat for failed intimacy, poor interpersonal judgment and sheer laziness. Living with someone and sharing a life with someone before you decide to build a life with them is not the problem. The problem is poor self-discipline, shoddy boundaries and a lack of self-awareness. when it comes to choosing others to invest in. Some people seem to have absolutely no intuition. Its like they don't trust themselves. Like they rarely to never go with their gut instincts. Cant read people for ish since they can barely even read themselves.

You said it all right there!

I would never do it again...he's gotta have his own and cannot move into mine...ever...never ever. Which makes for lot's of visiting. My current situation has some of his things here but I would never let him move in with me. He lives in an apt...so.

We don't have one so I thought, why not?

Let's use this place to talk about *how* to do this shacking up thing.

Are you shacking while engaged?
Are you shacking indefinitely?
Are you shacking with babies?
Do you cook and clean and do laundry?

Basically, what are your boundaries? How far are you willing to let this thing go? :look:

Discuss!

eta: @Theresamonet, @mzpurp, @prettyinpurple

A shacking RT ???! I totally didnt get this alert.

I don't want to share too much about my relationship on this forum, so my future posts will probably be pretty general or cryptic. But I really didn't have any special boundaries for us living together. I didnt really see this as a marriage layover or pergatory. I'm just living my life, and I typically do things how I want to. To answer a few of the questions though...

1. It was originally shacking indefinately, but now we're planning to get married soon.
2. I would never shack with babies.
3. I cook for myself when I'm alone or he premakes my meals; he cooks when we're together. We clean about 50/50 . I never do laundry. It will be the same when we're married.

I'm mad that I've been shacking for forever and we're just now getting our own RT at the tail end of my stint. :lol:

Thats different, no?

A man should never move in with a woman.

Different in that one moves in with the other? As opposed to finding a place together? I personally couldn't imagine that because it would have to be a purchase and I'm not buying anything with someone I'm not married to. But that said in my previous relationships I've had a guy to move in with me...only because I'm not leaving my house for anyone....lol.

This guy I used to kick it with had a huge monstrosity of a home and wanted me there all the time. I did for a minute but I couldn't see myself there permanently....because my name wasn't on the title.

For me, shacking does not work as I said because it did not result in marriage. In hindsight, I kinda knew this but chose this route anyway. However with kids in the mix, it has become a long drawn out thing where neither person will call it quits because its comfortable.

So while we get along and have our routine, it isn't ideal to continue like this for an unknown amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back