Relaxed Hair Thread

I relaxed my hair today!!! (FINALLY! I pushed it back like three times, lol) :bouncy::dance7:

This was my first time self-relaxing and I think I did a pretty good job.

I used Hawaiian Silky no-lye regular. Instead of four sections, or the half and half method, I did three sections. I parted down the middle in the front up until I got to the crown, and then down towards the corners of my nape in the back so that the back section looked like a triangle. I started each section where the three parts converged and worked my way out so that my edges/nape got relaxed last. I like that I didn't burn, although I don't know if that's due to the relaxer I used or just the fact that I did my own hair this time instead of letting someone else do it.

I also pre-parted my hair and held each individual part with a clip to make going from section to section easier. I put each clip slightly above the line of demarcation so that I knew exactly where to apply the relaxer. I wish that I had used two clips for each section: one to mark the line of demarcation, and then one further down the strand to make it easier to flip from section to section. But I didn't have enough clips for all of that.

So then after I rinsed out the relaxer I used Aphogee 2 minute for my midstep protein. Then I neutralized with Isoplus neutralizer, which I chose because it is color indicating. I had wanted to use Hawaiian Silky neutralizer, because it is also color indicating and they have a neutralizer that is specially for their no-lye relaxer, I assume it's more chelating or something, but the BSS near me didn't have it.

So after relaxing and neutralizing I did a tea rinse/DC. The tea was a mix of slippery elm, nettle, horsetail, hibiscus, and fenugreek. The DC was the Elasta DPR-11. I'm not super duper crazy about the Elasta DC, so I'll be moving on to something else. I sat with those under the dryer for 30 minutes.

For a leave-in, I used Creme of Nature rosemary lemongrass leave-in. Then I rollerset with grapeseed oil and wrapped my hair. It's still wrapped now because I had to run off to school but once I get home I plan to unwrap, trim, and do a length check. Will post pictures soon!

I got an appointment for Monday with a local hairdresser(she has cut my hair before but we've never done color although I've seen her work). I am finally ready to go lighter in color. My greys are super abundant now and maintaining black hair and greys is a pain and I have to retouch very often due to the grays being very visible. She told me she can do an Olaplex treatment and go lighter. I don't want to go very light this time, maybe a brownish red like this Gina Torres photo.
I'm crossing fingers and toes!!! Will report back. I'm telling myself I'll be ok if I have to cut it to APL (currently BSL and a bit beyond) as I'm tired of my hair right now. In the future I would like to go lighter so the grays are better camouflaged.

Am I crazy?!! lol

I love that color, I wonder if I can achieve that with a demi perm. I'm just so afraid of perm color.

Ladies, it's been real but I'm no longer relaxed. I finally chopped off the stringy ends. I'm going through a lot in life right now with my husband's health and hair has been the least of my worry. I needed to simplify my life as much as possible so I can focus on dh and so I did it! I will still lurk and cheer you on because I will forever believe, Relaxed Hair Rocks!

All the best moving forward in everything you decide to do @divachyk. You and your husband remain close to God because in His sovereignty, He does all things well. There is always good and growth in every challenge we face.

Remember He will not put more on you than He's given you the power to endure as you lean on Him. The operative words here are "as you lean on Him" for courage and strength. I will continue to pray for you that your faith will not fail, but strengthen instead. I've experienced the pain that sickness and death brings with it, so I do understand what you are going through.

Last edited:
I want to relax my hair. It's been 12 years since my last one though and my hair stretched it tailbone length.

Do any of y'all have any pointers for relaxing repunzel virgin hair? I was thinking about blowing out my hair, then relaxing instead of putting it on my coils. What do y'all think?

My hair is going great. I have some thin ends that I'm going back and forth about. They aren't damaged, I just don't process my hair that heavily anymore and the last of that is now at the ends of my hair. I'm conflicted because at one point all of my hair was that thickness and I never shaved my head to fix it :lol: but it's only bothersome when wet. When dry it doesn't look any type of way at all.

Last edited:
I want to relax my hair. It's been 12 years since my last one though and my hair stretched it tailbone length.

Do any of y'all have any pointers for relaxing repunzel virgin hair? I was thinking about blowing out my hair, then relaxing instead of putting it on my coils. What do y'all think?

Yeah, that a lot of virgin hair!

I'd look into going to a salon for the first few relaxers then transition to self relaxing from there.

You'll only be dealing with newgrowth at that point.

Wow! I feel like too much of a newbie to give good advice. However, are you sure you wannt to relax? Obviously, your natural hair is doing well (unlike mine when I was natural). What is it that you want to achieve with relaxed hair? I don't want you to regret your decision.

I'm back here again! Lol No regrets! Did it myself and got my hair very straight! No poodle hair! Everybody is natural now, I didn't feel like wearing or taking the time to wear natural hairstyles, and blow drying and flat ironing my hair was a chore! I may go back one day..I always do! But now I'm back with my relaxed sisters!

I will stretch for 8-10 weeks. That's my max. I won't say my hair grows fast, but the two textures don't play well together. I will go to a professional for my touch ups.
I will wash 1-2x a week rotating flat ironing and roller setting.
I'm in a challenge, so I won't post any pics until the end of the year.

My hair is doing well.

I wear the same style daily because of my morning workouts. I don't want to spend to much time on a style that I'm going to sweat out.

I'm concentrating on keeping it clean and healthy. I could try some styles on the weekend, but, meh.....
I bought that hair band from Walmart to help keep your edges from sweating out. Haven't used it yet. I got the cheaper one. I might give it a try soon. Gotta work on my birthday body for next year! Lol

Back