Relaxed Hair Thread

Ms. Tiki, oh yes, I remember your cut. My stylist can flat iron the heck outta some hurrr and make you think I'm freshly relaxed. So, if I go to her, I'm certain I can get a decent cut even if I'm not freshly relaxed. I just cannot bring myself to cutting my own hair. Search and destroy - yes. A trim or a cut, no. I'z scared.

I'm under the dryer now...smoldering. I was thinking of doing curlformers but I was like...ANGTFT...so I did flexis instead.

divachyk I'm weak. I know you said you were going to try but girl those things look like a lot of work. I think that's why they are still in my watch list on ebay. Maybe, I can talk myself into buying them one day. It will require a couple of bottle of wine to get them in my hair.

I hope it turns out nice! I'm letting my hair dry a bit before I blow dry, to cut down on drying time. I might flat iron to stretch out some of this new growth. That will take forever.
didn't blow dry. I m&s twisted in sections and pinned them down, sprayed my new growth and put my scarf on. A decent wash day.

I have a month to go until I make it to 16 weeks. I am going to wash and dc my hair today and take it from there. About to prepoo my hair now. Here is a pic of my crown breakage. Trying to see what to do about this area. Should I try to hold out longer for more new growth? Should I cut it to the new growth? If u do I will be in wigs or braids for a year or so! I really can't hide that area too much.

I started relaxing mine for less amount of time and cut off the ends so it would grow in healthier. At first I kept the ends, but then it didn't help the breakage so I let them go. My crown breakage was the result of not enough protein though.

I've had crown breakage from not sectioning and thoroughly applying product and from allowing the wrong ppl to braid my hair in box braids. I didn't realize that area was that demanding. Now I try to handle it with care. If only I could get these sides under control.

Ms. Tiki, oh yes, I remember your cut. My stylist can flat iron the heck outta some hurrr and make you think I'm freshly relaxed. So, if I go to her, I'm certain I can get a decent cut even if I'm not freshly relaxed. I just cannot bring myself to cutting my own hair. Search and destroy - yes. A trim or a cut, no. I'z scared. I'm under the dryer now...smoldering. I was thinking of doing curlformers but I was like...ANGTFT...so I did flexis instead.

I keep telling you it's not as bad as it seems. After the first time you'll be like "I got this". I don't blame people who don't want to play with it but id rather over cut my hair then someone else. I was scared at first but refused to let a stylist do it. I have a tutorial on my blog.

As for flat ironing, the best way I can suggest is roller setting then flat ironing just the Texlaxed hair. In know you hate roller setting but it can get your hair pretty straight and possible frizz free and result in faster flat iron results and less heat passes.

Saludable84 greenandchic shortdub78, I'm moving our protein discussion that we had a week or so ago over to this thread rather than continuing it in the how many weeks post are you thread.

I think I will finally cave and do a stronger protein, ends only though. I'm starting to see some light breakage on my ends throughout the week, especially when I skip my mid-week regimen.

I dealt with this type of breakage before but it halted after starting twice a week regimens and following Komaza's recommendation of increasing my protein usage.

ETA: I think resuming my 2x weekly regimens and using a stronger protein once here and there on my ends will resolve the situation. I'm not too terribly worried as the breakage isn't excessive. I plan to resolve it before it becomes that.

Last edited:
divachyk - I understand not wanting to cut your own hair. Remember my cutting debacle when I was almost BSL and had to cut back to APL? I was trying to "even" out my hemline! :lol:

Lesson learned. Even with that, I'm with Saludable84. I would rather mess my hair up myself than allow another stylist near my head. :yep:

sunnieb Saludable84, my stylist has never trimmed me foul. Heck, I'm unsure if she's even to blame for my thinning hemline. I will sleep on the idea of becoming more of a DIYer. Y'all know I'm slow to convince. :giggle:

divachyk

When my ends get too dry or I'm after about 12 weeks post, I will just put protein on my ends when deep conditioning. Not a ton, but I will notice a difference in dryness.

Also, you have a lot of faith in your stylist and I feel that's good. I know she won't do you wrong, but they did me wrong :lol: that's why I had to learn. I was scurred. So I had to learn regardless. If you trust your stylist, continue with her. I would say that if you dare.during your next relaxer stretch, but not try a new regimen or techniques yourself and see if you can determine what the try cause of your breakage is. I know mine is just the bonelaxed ends and crown breakage coming together at once. I've had the problem for a while and kept growing it out so I already knew it had to go.

Saludable84 greenandchic shortdub78, I'm moving our protein discussion that we had a week or so ago over to this thread rather than continuing it in the how many weeks post are you thread. I think I will finally cave and do a stronger protein, ends only though. I'm starting to see some light breakage on my ends throughout the week, especially when I skip my mid-week regimen. I dealt with this type of breakage before but it halted after starting twice a week regimens and following Komaza's recommendation of increasing my protein usage. ETA: I think resuming my 2x weekly regimens and using a stronger protein once here and there on my ends will resolve the situation. I'm not too terribly worried as the breakage isn't excessive. I plan to resolve it before it becomes that.
what protein will you use?

Got my hair relaxed this past Friday. All is right with the world now lol. I plan to wear my hair down until Thursday then I will put up in a cute bun with a side pin curl bang until I wash on Saturday afternoon.

divachyk I vote for using the protein on your ends. I was having shedding and breakage in my problem area (crown) last week. I told my stylist on Saturday and she put some protein leave-in on the ends. Since then I haven't seen any breakage.

Hey Ladies,

I think after all that rambling to Jobwright, my stretch is coming to a close. I just have to figure out if I want to self-relax like the old days {oh how I hated it} or go back to my stylist {which I prefer but not if split ends keep being an issue}. Stay Tuned.

I did flexi rods with big rods with the intent to have roller set looking hair. My hair got all tangly and was breaking when separating the curls. I ended up combing out the curls and the breakage slowed down. Weird thing is, my hair doesn't do this when air drying. In hindsight, I suppose the tangling would not happened had I flat ironed or blow dried the roots.

I split endered my hair two weeks straight a few weeks ago. So far, my ends are still looking pretty good w/r/t split ends. They are not looking as raggedy as they use to be. It still may be too early to tell but I'm starting to think my relaxed ends are splitting because of relaxer runoff and aging.

I will get my hair cut to a healthy point and I suppose continued protein use and frequent dustings will help over time.

Attachments

• Divachyk.jpg
    Divachyk.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 85
divachyk I vote for using the protein on your ends. I was having shedding and breakage in my problem area (crown) last week. I told my stylist on Saturday and she put some protein leave-in on the ends. Since then I haven't seen any breakage.

Loving, cool. I have been using protein weekly but I'm thinking of using a little harder protein on my ends during my stretches. I have been using protein here and there as a leave-in as well because Komaza recommended it. I haven't been consistent with it though.

shortdub78, I will likely use ORS as well like Saludable84.

@Saludable84 @greenandchic @shortdub78, I'm moving our protein discussion that we had a week or so ago over to this thread rather than continuing it in the how many weeks post are you thread.

I think I will finally cave and do a stronger protein, ends only though. I'm starting to see some light breakage on my ends throughout the week, especially when I skip my mid-week regimen.

I dealt with this type of breakage before but it halted after starting twice a week regimens and following Komaza's recommendation of increasing my protein usage.

ETA: I think resuming my 2x weekly regimens and using a stronger protein once here and there on my ends will resolve the situation. I'm not too terribly worried as the breakage isn't excessive. I plan to resolve it before it becomes that.

Speaking of protein, I really need to stay on top of it. I use a DC weekly which I love but its purely moisturizing and detangling, not protein.

I've been using TIGI Dumb Blonde (the last of the original formula) about once a month but I will try using it on my ends more often. It is a reconstructive treatment so I may need to buy something that's a stronger protein...

I have been taking pics of my hair, trying to access and see what actions I need to take. Plus, this is a good way to really see and track what is going on. I know having these bonelaxed ends with this new growth is going to be a challenging journey. Still debating should I start texlaxing now, or should I stretch for two years until my natural texture reaches arm pit length, then texlax? I don't see how I could wear my real hair out with these two textures... I will have to hide for two years!?!

I have been taking pics of my hair, trying to access and see what actions I need to take. Plus, this is a good way to really see and track what is going on. I know having these bonelaxed ends with this new growth is going to be a challenging journey. Still debating should I start texlaxing now, or should I stretch for two years until my natural texture reaches arm pit length, then texlax? I don't see how I could wear my real hair out with these two textures... I will have to hide for two years!?!

shortdub78, start now to get the process moving. That's what I'm doing anyway and it has been rewarding.

If I had enough backbone, I'd whack off all relaxed hair and be fully texlaxed, real talk, but that would leave me with a pixie cut. I've been there, done that and really not interested.

My texlaxed hair doesn't tangle or clump and is just super manageable. I assume this is why I'm not having line of demarcation issues.

My relaxed hair snags, tangles and clumps and it's annoying. I assume this is why I have breakage toward the ends of my hair.

I ended up trimming my hair. I was about to cut more but I stopped myself. I'm just going to maintain my ends from here on out and baby my crown from the breakage I had. First pic is from two weeks ago from when I self relaxed. I didn't even bother to flat iron my hair before trimming because I just don't have the patience, I still have about 2.5 inches of under processed hair. Thanks Saludable84 because I used your trimming method :-)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Attachments

• image-3019376610.jpg
    image-3019376610.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Speaking of protein, I really need to stay on top of it. I use a DC weekly which I love but its purely moisturizing and detangling, not protein.

I've been using TIGI Dumb Blonde (the last of the original formula) about once a month but I will try using it on my ends more often. It is a reconstructive treatment so I may need to buy something that's a stronger protein...

greenandchic, I use AO GPB weekly then follow up with a moisturizing DCner. I'm just not comfy enough with using a protein deep conditioner.

Back