Relaxed Hair Thread

should I relax? There just isn't enough info out there on stretching. A lot of the people that stretch with no problem seem have more of a wave natural pattern. Like if you are 4b or 3c, it would be easier?

I think if you're experiencing breakage then you should relax. I think the key is having enough new growth to touch up to prevent over processing. How many weeks post are you?

What about braids or cornrows under your wigs to stretch longer? That would prevent manipulating your hair at least for 2-4 weeks.

I think if you're experiencing breakage then you should relax. I think the key is having enough new growth to touch up to prevent over processing. How many weeks post are you? What about braids or cornrows under your wigs to stretch longer? That would prevent manipulating your hair at least for 2-4 weeks.
i just wouldn't be able to wash my hair. It will get matted and tangled. I don't know.., I know I'm mad at that SD cream I used to moisturize with. I plan on washing my hair tomorrow. That product was too heavy and oily for my hair. 11 weeks

Last edited:
shortdub78, my hair coils up, thus causing tangles. The only thing that's helping me stretch is not letting my hair get too dry in between sessions. For whatever reason, that really is making all the difference in this stretch. If I can't get around to washing, I'll keep the new growth lubricated with oil.

I'm trying to keep things simple and not test out too many new products...disobeying these two things is just asking for trouble. If I enter wash day with perfectly detangled hair, it makes things that much smoother. I try to finger detangle every few days to keep sheds down throughout the week. I always keep my hair going in one direction and stick to minimal manipulation during the week. I'm finding my hair responds better to two strand twists & french braids vs. buns while stretching. Finding some reliable, tangle-free styles is key. Oh and, using heat helps too although I don't always follow this rule.

shortdub78, my hair coils up, thus causing tangles. The only thing that's helping me stretch is not letting my hair get too dry in between sessions. For whatever reason, that really is making all the difference in this stretch. If I can't get around to washing, I'll keep the new growth lubricated with oil. I'm trying to keep things simple and not test out too many new products...disobeying these two things is just asking for trouble. If I enter wash day with perfectly detangled hair, it makes things that much smoother. I try to finger detangle every few days to keep sheds down throughout the week. I always keep my hair going in one direction and stick to minimal manipulation during the week. I'm finding my hair responds better to two strand twists & french braids vs. buns while stretching. Finding some reliable, tangle-free styles is key. Oh and, using heat helps too although I don't always follow this rule.
I'm still thinking about ending my stretch and starting over.

shortdub78 I'm just taking it one day at a time, one week at a time. I will end my stretch when I've just had enough. Sounds like you're almost at that point. Peace of mind is important so end your stretch if need be. What's going on with your hair right now?

So I think I'm experiencing postpartum shedding because I got the breakage under control. Also washing my hair in the sink while experiencing this excessive shed cycle is what caused some of the breakage along with rushing thru the detangling process. Idk what to do because my shower pressure sucks so I never feel like it rinses my DC'ers out well enough.

As far as the shedding I'm going to alternate btwn Alter ego garlic mask and Garnier fall fight conditioner mixed with fenugreek and see if it helps then I'm hiding my hair in crochet braids.

divachyk heeeeeeeyyyyyyy!

I've been around. I've been at the hospital with dh every night for the last few weeks. He's ok. We are having to take classes regarding his condition so I know what to do with him at home if something happens. We "graduate" next Friday so I'll be able to get back to spoiling my hair. :grin:

I've also been checking out your blog. Love it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

divachyk heeeeeeeyyyyyyy! I've been around. I've been at the hospital with dh every night for the last few weeks. He's ok. We are having to take classes regarding his condition so I know what to do with him at home if something happens. We "graduate" next Friday so I'll be able to get back to spoiling my hair. :grin: I've also been checking out your blog. Love it! Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

Hope your husband feels better.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

shortdub78 I'm just taking it one day at a time, one week at a time. I will end my stretch when I've just had enough. Sounds like you're almost at that point. Peace of mind is important so end your stretch if need be. What's going on with your hair right now?
it's cool now. I ran into my old stylist who took such good care of my hair before and got my hair really healthy ten years ago. I am trying to decide if I should just wait a few more weeks and go to her or do something else.

So I think I'm experiencing postpartum shedding because I got the breakage under control. Also washing my hair in the sink while experiencing this excessive shed cycle is what caused some of the breakage along with rushing thru the detangling process. Idk what to do because my shower pressure sucks so I never feel like it rinses my DC'ers out well enough. As far as the shedding I'm going to alternate btwn Alter ego garlic mask and Garnier fall fight conditioner mixed with fenugreek and see if it helps then I'm hiding my hair in crochet braids.
my edges are still recovering from that. I was completely bald on the sides. My baby is 19 mos now.

divachyk heeeeeeeyyyyyyy! I've been around. I've been at the hospital with dh every night for the last few weeks. He's ok. We are having to take classes regarding his condition so I know what to do with him at home if something happens. We "graduate" next Friday so I'll be able to get back to spoiling my hair. :grin: I've also been checking out your blog. Love it! Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF
hope he has a successful recovery and make sure you take care of yourself too!

OMG! I'm in shock because I didn't have this problem when I had my son. I'm hoping manetabolism will help with that.
I cut my hair off down to a fade with my oldest two, so I didn't notice much. With my last baby, right at 3 months it started to come out drastically. I was still taking my prenatal pills, garlic, etc.. image-2840285743.jpg

This is what my edges look like now.

Last edited:
I cut my hair off down to a fade with my oldest two, so I didn't notice much. With my last baby, right at 3 months it started to come out drastically. I was still taking my prenatal pills, garlic, etc..

Oh ok. Well I will prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

sunnieb. . I'm sure he's glad to have you on his side:yep: You guys will "graduate" with flying colours I'm sure:yep:

divachyk I'm trying to get back on track with my hair. ..I've neglected it for the majority of this year and consequently had to cut back to apl. I have all kinds of broken areas as well:nono:

Today's hairstyle. I hate doing this style because it is time consuming, but I'm tired of buns.

Attachments

• image-1167577745.jpg
    image-1167577745.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 93
Hi Ladies!:hiya2:
I have lurked in this thread for 2 years but never really participated. Think its time I start, my hair looks terrible!

I am going to attempt a corrective tomorrow. I have (unintentionally) stretched for 24 weeks...longest stretch ever for me! I normally go 12-14. Since the two years I have been on this HHJ, I have texlaxed. So now I have 6 months worth of new growth, 2 years worth of texlaxed hair, and then the bone straight hair that I started with.:ohwell: I look a straight up mess with 3 different textures on my head. My hair will not cooperate AT ALL. I have to wet it in the shower every morning and slick it back into a bun that looks horrible by the end of the day. And the dread locks are taking over!

So I am giving up on texlaxing and going back to bone laxed. I also don't think I have gained a lot of inches on this stretch. When I first started, I jumped from broken, scraggly shoulder to full APL in about 8 months. That was 2 years ago. I was brushing BSL at the beginning of this year (which is really close to MBL on me as I wear my bras low), but still seem to be brushing BSL and actually may have broken back off to APL. It may just be severe shrinkage, I guess I will find out after tomorrow! I just don't think I have had a lot of growth and maybe too much breakage this year. I enjoyed the texture that texlaxing has given me, but for seem reason this stretch, I cannot distinguish the texlaxed hair from the new growth. I have never had this happen before. So either I have little to no new growth or soo much that it has blended in and I can't see it. Also, the texlaxed hair has suddenly over the last few months gotten straight up frizzy and coily, with an almost natural texture. It was just wavy and silky, if that makes sense. I really don't know what is going on with my hair, but I think that either I need to go back to using heat, cut it all off (don't want to do that :sad:), or relax it all straight and began again. The last two times I flat ironed, it didn't get straight at all.

Sorry so long, just wanted to give some background!

Also, I think that stress is playing a major factor here. Went through a nasty divorce this year and that may be the culprit :ohwell:

Back