Relaxed Hair Thread

Went to the shop yesterday to get a silkening protein treatment and to get steamed. I request a roller set and the beautician proceeds to tell me that because my texture is not completely straight she can't really do a good roller set. She blow dries and flat irons. I get home and I'm checking my ends and I'm seeing all kinds of splits. To much heat and a thought just hit me, you mean natural girls out here creating silky roller sets and you can do my relaxed hair that has some texture in a roller set? I'm thinking she's fired and I can probably buy my own steamer for how much my last two visits have cost. I'm thinking she's one of those who does things that aren't really good for your hair to keep customers coming back. LHCF has turned me into a beautician conspiracy theorist lol.

Really makes you think huh?

I've done the same things on my own and have better retention then when I went to the salon. Heat is not the enemy; the person controlling the heat is.

Hi Ladies I just found out even bone st relaxed hair can have shrinkage!!! After years of relaxing.my 8 week protein and air dry went from APL to SL! Next day applied Shea butter leave in to fix.I still didn't like the way my hair look or felt so I relaxed a few days later/I panic !!! now I know I should have DC

Hi Ladies I just found out even bone st relaxed hair can have shrinkage!!! After years of relaxing.my 8 week protein and air dry went from APL to SL! Next day applied Shea butter leave in to fix.I still didn't like the way my hair look or felt so I relaxed a few days later/I panic !!! now I know I should have DC

Went to the shop yesterday to get a silkening protein treatment and to get steamed. I request a roller set and the beautician proceeds to tell me that because my texture is not completely straight she can't really do a good roller set. She blow dries and flat irons. I get home and I'm checking my ends and I'm seeing all kinds of splits. To much heat and a thought just hit me, you mean natural girls out here creating silky roller sets and you can do my relaxed hair that has some texture in a roller set? I'm thinking she's fired and I can probably buy my own steamer for how much my last two visits have cost.

I'm thinking she's one of those who does things that aren't really good for your hair to keep customers coming back. LHCF has turned me into a beautician conspiracy theorist lol.

Say what!!!!! Oh no she didn't!!! Sorry to hear that. Nurse it back to health and never return!!!!!! Run like the plague!!!!

so i'm touching up this weekend after a fiasco at my last touch up (severly underprocessed). I have used lye (linange) for the past three touch ups and i'm just not happy with the amount of texture left over with using lye so far. I'm contemplating switching back to no lye as I always got consistent results. But before I do, any recs on a lye relaxer that straightens fairly well?

so i'm touching up this weekend after a fiasco at my last touch up (severly underprocessed). I have used lye (linange) for the past three touch ups and i'm just not happy with the amount of texture left over with using lye so far. I'm contemplating switching back to no lye as I always got consistent results. But before I do, any recs on a lye relaxer that straightens fairly well?

I use Silk Elements shea butter lye in mild but the normal should be perfect for you. I'm to slow for normal so if I leave the mild on for the max time for coarse hair I think 18 mins it would straighten my fine hair very well.

Instead of touching up every 12 weeks, I'm going to touch-up every 6-8 weeks. I find when I hit the 10 week mark my hair likes to tangle, UGH!

I'm sick of this no weave wearing phase. Where is my wig?! Augh! I look a hot mess without my wig cause I haven't been doing a thing to my hair lately.

How much growth do you get in 6-8 weeks?

I'm on week eleven now, so when I relax next week I'm going to 6-8 weeks. I just measured my hair.

My hairline is 1 3/4 inch and the rest is 2 3/4 inch new growth. My hair in the front grows a lot slower than the hair in the back. My hair growth is average, it's just my hair like to tangle. It's just easier to relax more often to avoid the frustration of tangles.

I'm on week eleven now, so when I relax next week I'm going to 6-8 weeks. I just measured my hair.

My hairline is 1 3/4 inch and the rest is 2 3/4 inch new growth. My hair in the front grows a lot slower than the hair in the back. My hair growth is average, it's just my hair like to tangle. It's just easier to relax more often to avoid the frustration of tangles.

You can't just stop at 10 weeks then?

After 2.5 years of being natural, I've decided to return to relaxed. I'll be back with pics as soon as I relax, which will hopefully be on Saturday.

Rnjones like divachyk said, I use Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp. I think it's considered no or low lye. I love it because I relax bone straight and the DE does the job every time. :yep:

Rnjones like divachyk said, I use Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp. I think it's considered no or low lye. I love it because I relax bone straight and the DE does the job every time. :yep:
Thank you sunnieb and divachyk Should I be worried about going back and forth between lye and no lye? Or just proceed as usual?
sunnieb do u self relax?

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Rnjones, I have been relaxed with Design Essentials Regular (lye) and Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp (low lye). I wouldn't say you should be worried but I felt there was a texture difference. The low lye areas was wavier than the lye areas. They were also drier. HOWEVER, I was not chelating my hair back then so that's likely the reason for the dryness. Regarding texture differences, I had those even when relaxed with lye. It happens.

Back