Relaxed Hair Thread

Soooooooo I won't be seeing the blowdryer for a while. I've been seen short, broken hairs all week (not a lot but too many) and my first instinct was to blame the flat iron. Naw. It's the blowdryer. I lost the equivalent of a week's worth of shed hair when I used that thing :nono:. I finally bought some jumbo flexirods (and L'Oreal Power Moisture DC :look:), so I'm considering setting my hair to stretch it and then flat iron my roots. We'll see how frisky I'm feeling. There's a good chance I'll be back to my braidouts :lachen:.

^^yeah the blowdryer kills my hair. The flat iron is fine (at reasonable temps). But the blowdryer just fries my hair. I try to use it only once a month and rollerset/flat iron the rest of the time.

I need to perfect the braidout. A great friend of mine is sending me some curlformers so that will be another style to help me get through summer.

^^yeah the blowdryer kills my hair. The flat iron is fine (at reasonable temps). But the blowdryer just fries my hair. I try to use it only once a month and rollerset/flat iron the rest of the time.

I need to perfect the braidout. A great friend of mine is sending me some curlformers so that will be another style to help me get through summer.

I don't know if this would help at all, but I can only get decent braidouts on barely damp or dry hair. I have no idea why. I apply my leave-ins, seal, and I usually use a little EBW Coconut Curl Creme (on dry hair). I only hair to do 4 braids with perm rods on the ends, and my hair comes out so curly.

I knew I forgot something in my previous post!!
I am definitely going straighter. Now that I know for sure that my hair can't really deal with heat, I'd do better processing more to get lessen my curl pattern and ssks.

I don't know if this would help at all, but I can only get decent braidouts on barely damp or dry hair. I have no idea why. I apply my leave-ins, seal, and I usually use a little EBW Coconut Curl Creme (on dry hair). I only hair to do 4 braids with perm rods on the ends, and my hair comes out so curly.

That definitely helps, thanks! I know a lot of people do braidouts on damp hair. For me it's hard to be patient to wait for my hair to begin to airdry LOL that's sad but true. But I've done it on damp hair and got great results vs doing it on wet hair. Plus I get less breakage. :yep:

That definitely helps, thanks! I know a lot of people do braidouts on damp hair. For me it's hard to be patient to wait for my hair to begin to airdry LOL that's sad but true. But I've done it on damp hair and got great results vs doing it on wet hair. Plus I get less breakage. :yep:

true, i just did a twist out with permanent rods at the ends and it took two days to dry and still was moist because it was frizzy and my hair was stretched more than i like. i wanted drawn up curls to last longer

Thanks! As far as styling, I just either wear it straight down, half up half down, ponytail, sockbun. I don't really know how to style it any other way. If I feel up to it, I will put wavy curls in it.

I'm a little unorthodox when it comes it comes to my hair, and it's mainly cuz I'm terrible at doing hair..I don't wash it or flat iron it myself at all. I go to the salon once a month for that. That's the only time heat is applied to my hair. If my ends get a little frizzy, I may run through it with a flat iron but usually wrapping it at night takes care of that.

When it's nearing that time for a wash, my hair gets really dry. I'm trying to find a good moisturizer that will help out with that. The argon oil I'm using helps a little especially since my last wash was January 31st

I want to get to get better at taking care of my hair so if anybody has any suggestions or products they use, let me know!

Your hair is drop dead gorgeous! Wow!

I recently discovered YouTube's longNhealthy and in one of her products video, she mentioned doing hot oil treatments about once a week. I admit I haven't done such a thing in probably over a decade because it never did anything for my natural hair. I decided to bite and try it again and my hair was like butter after shampooing it out. I only heated up sweet almond oil and coconut oil and drenched my dry hair (forgot to wet it!) and left it on under a cap for about an hour. It did more than many conditioner prepoos I've done in the past. I will try to squeeze this in about once a week - hopefully!

knots melt away and hair is soft after hot oil treatments.

divachyk - Thanks for the feedback re: my leave in! I will look for something that has just moisture. It's so hard knowing if my hair needs protein or moisture. When I touch it, little pieces fall off and break off. So Im like, does that mean I need more moisture or do I need to do a protein treatment? Im worried about protein overload, especially because I was going to do henna this weekend (which acts like protein). It's just so confusing.

im also having a hard time knoWing if i need moisture or protein. my hair also breaks easily :-(

i never know....

I only get my best results when I do braid/twist outs on damp hair. Too wet and it never dries, to dry and it sets differently. It won't hold the pattern as well.

im also having a hard time knoWing if i need moisture or protein. my hair also breaks easily :-( i never know....

Assess the breakage wet or dry and go from there. Also, understand that you will get breakage from regular manipulation whether you want to admit it or not. Seamless combs helped with my breakage too.

Last, what I would do is one wash day, just use moisture products. Also, so a simple wash, condition, leave-in (something creamy) and make your style simple. Determine the breakage. Then start adding certain products back on or changing products to determine where the breakage is coming from. But keep in mind to do simple styles.

Since I've had to simplify my regimen, I've notice by being simple and having simple styles I have less breakage.

why not do them going up into a bun. i did that and it was cute.

if i do the normal ones going down there gonna start saying stuff at work ( normally braids are not allowed Where i work).....

Wow. Your job prohibits conrows in the employee handbook? Because if not, they can kick rocks. Lol

The braid bun is a good idea.

Gave myself a touch up last night. I really didn't see much length increase due to the fact I trimmed my hair last week But my hair is getting thicker, which I like but my no lye ends really need to go. I have thickness until you get to the last three inches of my hair.

Assess the breakage wet or dry and go from there. Also, understand that you will get breakage from regular manipulation whether you want to admit it or not. Seamless combs helped with my breakage too. Last, what I would do is one wash day, just use moisture products. Also, so a simple wash, condition, leave-in (something creamy) and make your style simple. Determine the breakage. Then start adding certain products back on or changing products to determine where the breakage is coming from. But keep in mind to do simple styles. Since I've had to simplify my regimen, I've notice by being simple and having simple styles I have less breakage.
thank you. im gonna try only moisture products on wash day. i have most breakage When wet on wash day, although i dont detangle When wet. i have a seamless comb. love it. i basically do simple boring styles all the time. and im getting bored lol. last week my conditionner had no slip: breakage breakage all over. means i should use that one only after washing hair and not on damp or dry hair.

Last edited:
My scalp keeps flaking terribly. I would love to go more than a week between washes but in a few days my scalp and hair looks like I walked through snow. I can go weeks without combing but not without washing.

I just discoved a indian grocery around the corner!!! Yes gawd lol.

They have face and body products.

So happy squeals:

My scalp keeps flaking terribly. I would love to go more than a week between washes but in a few days my scalp and hair looks like I walked through snow. I can go weeks without combing but not without washing.

halfindian, do you use anything to help keep the flakies down? Here's the recipe I use for dry, itchy, flaky scalp. Never dealt with that until this year but this winter has been a harsh one for us.

halfindian, do you use anything to help keep the flakies down? Here's the recipe I use for dry, itchy, flaky scalp. Never dealt with that until this year but this winter has been a harsh one for us.

Thanks love!! I normally use ketozal it is a medicated shampoo but I'm not sure if this is something I want to use every wash day. Also it is not a moisturizing shampoo. I will try the oils. Double the benefit. Get a hot oil treatment while I nurse my scalp back to health. Thank you. I will surely give it a try.

I was against paying that much for a comb, but once I got the first one and analyzed the difference in breakage, I pretty much gave up on regular combs.

can you show me a picture of what you call seamless combs? i think mine is one but i want to make sure i understand what everyone is talking about.

Hi Everyone! I am still relaxed and love it! Just recently took out my temporary locs.

I made a post on my blog about my regimen: Aceey Emme . Hopefully the link works.

Back