Relaxed Hair Thread

My Bee Mjne products just arrived in the mail. I got the moisturizing deep conditioner that is protein free and the balanced moisturizer in the coconut cream scent. I can't wait to try them out!

@sunnieb what do you use to smooth your hair when applying a relaxer?

Renewed1 I use my fingers only. I wear these gloves so I can feel my newgrowth

IMG01407-vi.jpg

Sooooooo stretching and working out every day doesn't look like it's gonna workout. Too much manipulation to get my hair to lay down into a bun etc. Maybe I need to experiment with products/techniques before I give up. But I may be a 10 week girl (I'm 10 weeks now).

Last edited:
Sooooooo stretching and working out every day doesn't look like it's gonna workout. Too much manipulation to get my hair to lay down into a bun etc. Maybe I need to experiment with products/techniques before I give up. But I may be a 10 week girl (I'm 10 weeks now).

It is definitely a learned craft!

I workout in the mornings before work and I bun daily. I also do not use direct heat. I was able to stretch 20 weeks with patience and a good workout scarf!

Take it one week at a time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

I had to add a week each stretch due to exercising. You can't do it all at once. I learned that a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

It is definitely a learned craft!

I workout in the mornings before work and I bun daily. I also do not use direct heat. I was able to stretch 20 weeks with patience and a good workout scarf!

Take it one week at a time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

I had to add a week each stretch due to exercising. You can't do it all at once. I learned that a while back.

sunnieb Saludable84 thank you both for responding!! Yeah I think I need to take it one week at a time and stop trying to do this major stretch all at once. I was trying to make it to 15 weeks but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. I workout before work as well; I need to find a workout scarf. I use direct heat once weekly (rollerset/flatiron) but I bun/wear an updo daily. It's definitely a learning process...

When I was natural, I didn't get the hype of have 10 weeks of new growth. Well, I get it now :lol:!!! I'm only at 8 weeks and I'm like why is there a mini fro hiding under my hair :lachen: ?! Also, my relaxed hair is why more tangled and velcroy than my natural hair was, which I didn't see coming.

I had a super wash day last night. I shampooed, finally, with ORS Creamy Aloe. I was terrified I had made a serious mistake as I was scrubbing my scalp and rinsing. My hair felt so stiff and like it was matting together :nono:. But once I t-shirt dried a little, my hair was soooo soft and light :lick:. I Dc'd with GPB then with AOWC and Triple Nutrition. I let my hair dry a bit, then added my leave-in and sealed. Then I detangled. I think I like it more, maybe. I feel like the comb could actually grab more shed hair. I think I lost the same amount hair which is good. I'm cowashing Thursday night to make sure my scalp is okay and to have fresh hair on Vday. I actually have a Valentine for once :lol:

I haven't been in here in a bit. I'm about 4 or 5 weeks post. I still haven't done my post texlax trim but I'm getting around to it tomorrow...only b/c I need to post my length check and trim on my blog. smh

i decided to go back to relaxing every 8 weeks. ..

1. because my hair is growing like crazy because of my workouts.

2. I can't manipulate my new growth deep into a stretch correctly and if I don't co wash my hair often the sweat dries out my hair.

3. my hair is becoming a chore look.

I have a question for everyone.
What do you do a week before relaxing?
What type of hairstyles do you wear a week before your relaxer; do you air dry?
How many days leading up to your relaxer do you stop working out?

The week leading up to a relaxer:
Clarify/chelate
protein treatment
air dry (wash on Saturday so hair should be completely dry by Monday)
I try to manipulate hair as little as possible, but still moisturize and seal, this helps prevent overprocessing too by coating the hair throughout the week)
I do not work out for at least three days before relaxing.
Hair is in a bun throughout the week

Trying to decide what relaxer to use next. I want to try Linanage but I wish I could get it on the ground. I was thinking of trying the new Cream of Nature Eden relaxer but it's no-lye - I prefer lye. Might just use Silk Elements and call it a day lol.

What do you do a week before relaxing? Clarify, protein treatment, DC with moisture
What type of hairstyles do you wear a week before your relaxer; do you air dry? Buns, usually still rollerset
How many days leading up to your relaxer do you stop working out? I can't recall ever stopping my workouts before a relaxer but I have never experienced burning either. I likely won't workout the day OF my relaxer though.

naturalagain2

What do you do a week before relaxing? I try to clarify and protein

What type of hairstyles do you wear a week before your relaxer? do you air dry? I just make sure my hair is roller set as this helps to apply the relaxer faster with less manipulation.

How many days leading up to your relaxer do you stop working out? I just don't workout the same day.

naturalagain2

What do you do a week before relaxing? I usually wash 3-4 days before hand, I clarify and use a protein conditioner

What type of hairstyles do you wear a week before your relaxer; do you air dry? I don't do much, just bun loosely. I always air dry so I can see how much new growth I'm really working with and to make sure I get it straight.

At most I would work out the day before but not day of.

My edges make me want to relax like now :lachen:. I can deal with my new growth over all, but my edges didn't even blend with the rest of my hair when I was natural :spinning:. I just need to stay away from buns and ponytails, then I'll be okay :lol:

I have a question for everyone. What do you do a week before relaxing? What type of hairstyles do you wear a week before your relaxer; do you air dry? How many days leading up to your relaxer do you stop working out?

1) protein treatment
2) I wear a slightly twisted updo.
3) air dry
4) 2 or 3 days

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I think I'm going to buy some As I Am cowash. I want to cut down on my shampoo to possibly twice a month with one being a clarifying shampoo wash

naturalagain2

I keep my normal routine (cowash, honey wash, dc) with one change - I go super light on my leave-ins. I'm heavy handed all the time, but the week of a relaxer, I put just enough moisturizer and oil to keep dryness at bay. I relax bone straight and don't want anything to stand in the way of my newgrowth getting skrait!

I bun, bun, bun.......

I relax on Saturday night, so my last workout is Friday morning. Roots have plenty of time to dry.

Thank you all for your answers!!!! :hugxplode: I now know what to do when I relax.

I was going to relax next week at 9wks post (I thought my new growth would be so unmanageable by now) but I think I wait until about 12-16 wks. I can't even tell I have new growth so it's no need to relax right now. And to think when I was a teenager I would relax every 4 weeks :nono:!!!!

Thank you all for your answers!!!! :hugxplode: I now know what to do when I relax.

I was going to relax next week at 9wks post (I thought my new growth would be so unmanageable by now) but I think I wait until about 12-16 wks. I can't even tell I have new growth so it's no need to relax right now. And to think when I was a teenager I would relax every 4 weeks :nono:!!!!

I know right! My roots are fine. I can feel my new growth, but everything blends just fine. I'll be 9 weeks post tomorrow, and I know I can go at least another 3 weeks with no problem. Well. . . my ends are being a pain in the butt. They're underprocessed and are starting to catch on each other and break. I'm even seeing ssks here and there :nono:.

Could I just relax the bottom half of my hair to correct my initial underprocessing? My ends look crazy and their starting to mess with my retention :sad:

naturalagain2,
treat, clarify/chelate, DC with steam, air dry, flat iron roots
I stop working out at least 3 days prior

Last edited:
I know right! My roots are fine. I can feel my new growth, but everything blends just fine. I'll be 9 weeks post tomorrow, and I know I can go at least another 3 weeks with no problem. Well. . . my ends are being a pain in the butt. They're underprocessed and are starting to catch on each other and break. I'm even seeing ssks here and there :nono:.

Could I just relax the bottom half of my hair to correct my initial underprocessing? My ends look crazy and their starting to mess with my retention :sad:

Girl I'm in there with you. I'm texlax so my hair stills catch/wrap around each other. Do you coat your ends with a light creme, oil or butter? I find that to help greatly.

Back