Raise your hand if you are 100% black with long hair!

All of us (women of color, or if I want to one drop, Black women) came to LHCF because we have hair issues. Having mixed ancestry doesnt mean that one will have 3a or 3b hair and having 3a or 3b hair doesnt mean that one is capable of achieving length with ease. Just as people said in the mixed thread, which is now deleted, starting a thread based on hair TYPE would have been more productive, for a number of reasons. This thread has proven what? I dont know the OP's hair type, but I guaran-damn-tee that every "real black person" that posted in this thread was not a 4z/4b or any other "real black person" hair type.

All of that said, if people received some sort of encouragement or motivation from this kind of thread- more power to you... I guess. :look:
Basically:yep:

i'm bothered that ya'll tried to turn this into a racial thread. . . ya'll knew what she was trying to say. :nono:@ some of ya'll. most if not ALL of ya'll are too old to act so simple

Last edited:
i'm bothered that ya'll tried to turn this into a racial thread. . . ya'll knew what she was trying to say. :nono:@ some of ya'll. most if not ALL of ya'll are too old to act some simple

I did not read most of this thread, but was anyone disrespectful? I did not see anyone say anything mean - or anyone being "simple". Maybe I need to go back and read more. Skipped over a big chunk of the threads.

But, anytime someone starts a thread with skin color as a theme (let alone in the title), intentional or not, race is going to be discussed. It is what it is. That is why it is better to just stick with hair types, even though they are pretty general, too.

A thread like, Are there any long haired 4a/b hair types that had short hair as a child, would have turned up far better responses. Actually threads like that have been created in the past.

But, it is no biggie. I don't think anyone is really taking offense or being sensitive (at least from my observation) :)

I did not read most of this thread, but was anyone disrespectful? I did not see anyone say anything mean - or anyone being "simple". Maybe I need to go back and read more. Skipped over a big chunk of the threads.

But, anytime someone starts a thread with skin color as a theme (let alone in the title), intentional or not, race is going to be discussed. It is what it is. That is why it is better to just stick with hair types, even though they are pretty general, too.

A thread like, Are there any long haired 4a/b hair types that had short hair as a child, would have turned up far better responses. Actually threads like that have been created in the past.

But, it is no biggie. I don't think anyone is really taking offense or being sensitive (at least from my observation) :)
you can tell from the last page or so as well as the responses on the first page, WHERE it was headed and WHERE it went. . . 22 pages into the post, the girl is STILL explaining what she meant. it's pretty obvious that everyone jumped down her throat

you can tell from the last page or so as well as the responses on the first page, WHERE it was headed and WHERE it went. . . 22 pages into the post, the girl is STILL explaining what she meant. it's pretty obvious that everyone jumped down her throat
Please this thread is tame I mean at least it's still there.
Where is the mixed ladies thread?
Maybe I'm blind but I think it went poof.:look:

Please this thread is tame I mean at least it's still there.
Where is the mixed ladies thread?
Maybe I'm blind but I think it went poof.:look:
:lachen::lachen:I'm a newbie. . . I can't help you with that one. . . "they just jealous baby" *pats your back*, but sike naw, let me stop before someone WAILS on me for that. . .

but if i HAD been around, I would have felt the EXACTLY the same way. . . if no one cared, and REALLY thought it was stupid, they should have STOPPED responding and it would have died on it's own AGES ago. . . like folks don't know how message boards work :nono:

Last edited:
:ohwell:

It soooooo is.....

I think I need to repeat this though this will be for the LAST TIME.

I created this thread to find women similar to me. POINT BLANK AND SIMPLE. Will that exclude some people? OF COURSE! Everyone is not like me! How ridiculous is it, even for political fairness, to assume that everyone in here is going to have the same heritage/background. We don't. Of course this doesn't mean that women who are mixed don't struggle with growing their hair too. I’m sure they do. That's just not the criteria I fall into or what I was looking for in creating this thread. I know my own struggles over the years. I know how I grew up and how MY hair was. I find it quite troublesome that anyone would be offended because I want to find women who are like me. Does that mean someone can’t ask for women who “have long hair and live in Atlanta??” because that’s where they live? :ohwell: I didn't say "You are 100% AA if"... I said I was looking for those who were 100% AA but if you had x,y,z you're excluded from MY ciriteria. Get it??? I’m not challenging your “blackness”. I HAD to exclude what did not pertain to me. This has nothing to do with stereotypes, so please, LET IT GO! If my mom were mixed, my question would have been no different except I would have included that in my asking criteria. Please don’t turn this into a “black vs. mixed” thread. That has no place here.

So am I encouraged by a white woman growing 2 feet of hair in a year? NO. Am I encouraged by someone who is Black and whose parents and grandparents are black who grows 2 feet of hair in 4 years? YES! Why? Because she is like me!!!! No matter what other factors contribute to that hair growth, I will ALWAYS be encouraged by someone who's similar to me growing long hair. Period. I know that my locks are cared for and loved-for the past 5 years-, so that goes unspoken. I also know that NO black girl I’ve ever met has ever told me “I mistreat my hair” and it’s long. So for me, I don’t need to ask that. It goes without saying. If you assume otherwise well…you know what they say about ASSume. Though I’m encouraged by any black woman who grows their hair long, there is something extra special when that person is like you. Because you can see yourself in that person-or at least I can. Why did all AA women rejoice when HalleBerry won an oscar? Why are most black people excited at the prospect that Obama may become president? Why do you think people look for their “hair twin” or someone with their “hair type”? So they can be hopeful as well as be encouraged because that person is LIKE THEM. If this thread doesn’t encourage you well….there are a million and one other threads on this forum. I’m sure you can find one to give you the encouragement you need. This ones mine.

5015.jpg

It's ok girl. I have no issue with this thread whatsoever...it's cool and I'm loving all the beautiful hair. It's just messed up that some ladies are permitted to share their experiences and/or get encouragement that they need because they aren't "mixed." But for whatever reason, those of us who are mixed, our thread was bashed and locked. Just noting the difference...

Carry on!

All of us (women of color, or if I want to one drop, Black women) came to LHCF because we have hair issues. Having mixed ancestry doesnt mean that one will have 3a or 3b hair and having 3a or 3b hair doesnt mean that one is capable of achieving length with ease. Just as people said in the mixed thread, which is now deleted, starting a thread based on hair TYPE would have been more productive, for a number of reasons. This thread has proven what? I dont know the OP's hair type, but I guaran-damn-tee that every "real black person" that posted in this thread was not a 4z/4b or any other "real black person" hair type.

All of that said, if people received some sort of encouragement or motivation from this kind of thread- more power to you... I guess. :look:
Exactly!

I am biracial and I thought the mixed thread was a mess and this one is too.

See... now I feel really bad... I mean, no, I'm not 100% black.... but stuff like this truly makes me feel... un-unified with other black people. I see your point though as to prove that 100% black women can have long hair... but there are those of us who fall into the one-drop rule and are told that we can never achieve that goal too because we have "black" roots.

But nevertheless, the attempt to find a 100% black person makes me feel "less than black enough" in my own race. This just reminds me how NOT black I am... like I need another reminder that I'm not full-blooded black .:nono:

See... now I feel really bad... I mean, no, I'm not 100% black.... but stuff like this truly makes me feel... un-unified with other black people. I see your point though as to prove that 100% black women can have long hair... but there are those of us who fall into the one-drop rule and are told that we can never achieve that goal too because we have "black" roots.

But nevertheless, the attempt to find a 100% black person makes me feel "less than black enough" in my own race. This just reminds me how NOT black I am... like I need another reminder that I'm not full-blooded black .:nono:

That's because we are our own worst enemy.

Is it me? or did this thread get realllllllllll deep for no reason.
I think her question is harmless. Folks lets get our panties out of a bunch.
If anything she may have been encouraged from some of the responses she got from people who can relate to her.Which is why we are all here. I think sometimes we try real hard to impose our own thoughts and feelings on other people.The girl wasnt asking for "a talking to" She wanted to know who had long hair and was "REAL BLACK":lachen::lachen:
ummmmmmmm I think its awesome to go back so many generations. We can go back six on my mothers side also. But we aint "real black" unfortunately.We did a whole lot of mingling around:kisses:

Is it me? or did this thread get realllllllllll deep for no reason.
I think her question is harmless. Folks lets get our panties out of a bunch.
If anything she may have been encouraged from some of the responses she got from people who can relate to her.Which is why we are all here. I think sometimes we try real hard to impose our own thoughts and feelings on other people.The girl wasnt asking for "a talking to" She wanted to know who had long hair and was "REAL BLACK":lachen::lachen:
ummmmmmmm I think its awesome to go back so many generations. We can go back six on my mothers side also. But we aint "real black" unfortunately.We did a whole lot of mingling around:kisses:

We know what she meant. Deep in our hearts, we all knew.

I mean the girl just wanted some encouragement. If there were more Black American women running around here that had both parents black and the 4 grandparents black and the 8 great-grandparents black, like most of us do in this country that are decendents of slaves; and they had longer hair than their neck or shoulders, then she would had probably never asked the question!

:blush:I'm surprised at how many woman on here is 'mixed' with something.
When on other threads people be ranting on how 'black' they are.:rolleyes:

C'mon ppl do we have a double standard here?

Its kinda annoying....(yep I said it):nono:

I was thinking the same exact thing. I mean I know we got sistas on here who are biracial or from other countries, I get that.

I mean the OP has some strict requirements, I will say that, but a helluva lot more sistas should had been able to fit those requirements and post.

I don't believe that most of us are that mixed up :saythat:

OP I can totally relate to your question. Thank you for posting your question.

Based on your requirements I am fully black but I have ALWAYS had long hair. So that excludes me from answering you questions.

Once again.... THANK YOU.

OP I can totally relate to your question. Thank you for posting your question.

Based on your requirements I am fully black but I have ALWAYS had long hair. So that excludes me from answering you questions.

Once again.... THANK YOU.

what she said:yep:

seems like some people rush at any chance for drama or controversy :rolleyes:

I totally feel the op for asking this question.

Well guess you're going to have to be annoyed...LOL. There are a good bit of people who don't have 2 black parents or all 4 black grandparents...

Why can't people be grateful for their own heritage?

We DO have a double standard here. It's fine people to discuss being 100% black but it's not fine for people to discuss being mixed. That's why this thread is open and the other (for mixed people) got locked.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I mean I know we got sistas on here who are biracial or from other countries, I get that.

I mean the OP has some strict requirements, I will say that, but a helluva lot more sistas should had been able to fit those requirements and post.

I don't believe that most of us are that mixed up :saythat:

Well clearly I am not a "sista"...not that I use that terminology to describe myself. :lachen: Maybe you "sistas" aren't that mixed, but some of us fall in another category. :lachen:

Well guess you're going to have to be annoyed...LOL. There are a good bit of people who don't have 2 black parents or all 4 black grandparents...

Why can't people be grateful for their own heritage?

We DO have a double standard here. It's fine people to discuss being 100% black but it's not fine for people to discuss being mixed. That's why this thread is open and the other (for mixed people) got locked.
but that's partially because they SAW everyone ranting about how the mixed post was closed. . . so they knew better than to close this one and let it run it's course

but that's partially because they SAW everyone ranting about how the mixed post was closed. . . so they knew better than to close this one and let it run it's course

No it isn't. They closed it because it was viewed as controversial. Why in the world is it fine for "100% black" people to talk about their hair experiences but other people cannot? Please let me know.

Uhhh, i don't think the mods "knew better" than to do anything. I don't know why one was closed and one stayed open but I can tell you it's not because "they knew better than to not close this one". I haven't read this one in its entirety and i didn't read the other one, but maybe the one that got closed had some name calling or started taking a downward spiral whereas this one has been not as negative?????? I really don't know..i'm just surprised this one is still going.

As dark as I am, I am not 100% black and all the blacks that I know, I know they are not 100% black no matter how dark, light and kinky, wavy their hair may be.

I have French, English, Native American and Black; Black is the most in my blood of all but I don't like how being 100% black makes it right to put down others to see if we can grow long hair. I love everyone on this board not matter what they have in them.

Okay so I had to put my hand down early in the eliminations....BUT I have experience with the "group" that was left with their hand in the air.

Here, goes my "muted" 2cents. That I acquired when styling childrens hair for a prolonged period of time.

1. Finding the proper moisturizing and styling products.
2. Wide tooth combs are your friend.
3. Reduce hair stressors (elastics, scalp pulling cornrows/briads)
4. ALWAYS be gentle to your ends.
5. When shampooing keep the hair in 6-8 loosly bound ponytails to ensure less tangling.
6. Embrace your natual waves or hair density. Find styles that highlight them.
7. Scarves at night are a must.
6. Grease is not really your friend; cream conditioners/styling products are!

I had a good friend that could not believe the way her daughter's hair responded when I did it versus when she styled it. The girls hair was still on point after the after-school program. She changed her regime and saw more growth within weeks!

i don't get EITHER of your logic. . .
1) and this WASN'T controversial??? By the end of the first page, people were already addressing her definition of "100% black". . . then it turned to hinting that she was ignorant or that her post made no sense, and that it's wrong that this one was left alone & the mixed thread was closed. . .so that wasn't the reason.

2)name calling is definitely not the only way a post could get negative fast. . . I didn't read the other post, I probably wasn't even around when that one was made. . . you are asking about the turn that this post took, when this post is still available for u to read. they did jump down the girl's throat, so again, that isn't the reason either. as far as them "knowing better", let's not take it so literally. . . maybe they saw the disgust that closing the other thread generated so they wanted to avoid all of that and just let the thread run its course. . . and no need to be suprised, it is still going on because folks are still posting in it, plain and simple. majority of the posts have nothing to do with the topic, more with agreeing/disagreeing/co-signin/etc with something about the words she chose or her definition or why the post is still in existence or what makes someone 100% black or that no one is 100% black. . . etc. ALL of which has been posted before, so if folks have a problem with the post, stop feeding into it, and let it die (which is what I said initially)

1) and this WASN'T controversial??? By the end of the first page, people were already addressing her definition of "100% black". . . then it turned to hinting that she was ignorant or that her post made no sense, and that it's wrong that this one was left alone & the mixed thread was closed. . .so that wasn't the reason.

2)name calling is definitely not the only way a post could get negative fast. . . I didn't read the other post, I probably wasn't even around when that one was made. . . you are asking about the turn that this post took, when this post is still available for u to read. they did jump down the girl's throat, so again, that isn't the reason either. as far as them "knowing better", let's not take it so literally. . . maybe they saw the disgust that closing the other thread generated so they wanted to avoid all of that and just let the thread run its course. . . and no need to be suprised, it is still going on because folks are still posting in it, plain and simple. majority of the posts have nothing to do with the topic, more with agreeing/disagreeing/co-signin/etc with something about the words she chose or her definition or why the post is still in existence or what makes someone 100% black or that no one is 100% black. . . etc. ALL of which has been posted before, so if folks have a problem with the post, stop feeding into it, and let it die (which is what I said initially)

Ok Belle, you are absolutely right.

This is getting out of hand. I don't understand something.

Lately, how come all of these threads about hair are turning into divisive race or hair type threads???

What the hell happened to us talking about growing our hair long? Isn't that what this board is about?

I personally don't care who calls themselves "sistas" or who has what in their hair. The board is for Black women who want to grow their hair long, period. It shouldn't be about how much "black" you are or how much "4b" you got in your hair vs. "3c".

I am so tired of this :rant: All hair grows right? So there should be no need for trying to find 4bs that have long hair or posts about how mixed threads got locked. So what??!! I mean the main motivation for this board should be uplifting each other so our hair will grow.

I mean look at it like this, if you are a 4b and your hair grows long, then you will be the shiny example that you have so hope to find! I mean yes, maybe some products may work differently on different hair textures or types. But hair retention is hair retention.

I know I am not making any sense and probably nobody will agree with me. But it just seems that lately, these past few months, it just seems to be more and more posts and threads that seem to be bringing more decisiveness to the board and not positive thoughts and good hair advice.

I'm just tired of it and I really wish we could get back on the topic of growing healthy, long hair. :offrant:

I agree, I honestly don't think people are reading the whole thread cuz if they did they surely would'nt be posting all kinds of non-sense:nono:

Back