Raise your hand if you are 100% black with long hair!

What is your current length? Shoulder I believe
How long has it been that length? About 6 months
What is the longest length you had as a child? Hmmm...Just around bottom cheek I would say
as an adult? 2 inches above bra strap in the back
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Keeping my hair moisturized/conditioned was mine! Before, I NEVER used to moisturize daily. Ever. It just didn't happen. And I only washed about once every 6 weeks.

I'm 100% black. 100% African from Nigeria, to be exact. By black, I do not mean black by the generous American/One Drop Rule definition. I mean black.No admixture whether immediate or distant (and I know all of my ancestors back to six generations ago, with no reason to think that before then (pre-colonialism) any admixture could have occurred). Black enough?

21 inches and MBL to WL, depending on which area you pull.
For the past several months. I've been keeping it at this length with 1/2" cuts monthly.
Apparently, I had quite thick natural hair as a child (don't remember). However, when my mother relaxed it, it all broke off and never exceeded neck length (5" at the longest, about 1/2" at the back due to severe, perpetual breagkage).
Until I went natural 4 years ago, I was relaxed and my hair never exceeded neck length.
Going natural, having a good regimen, not letting anyone fill my head with nonsense about what 'black hair' can or cannot do (and boy did people try).

What is your current length?
My hair is collarbone length, but longer in the back.
How long has it been that length?
About the last six months to a year.
What is the longest length you had as a child?
as an adult?
When I was a child, nape length
What do you contribute to your length/retention?
Daily rinsing and massaging my hair, the past year Year 06 -07, I dis have a lot of breakage, because although I coloured my hair, using highlights, I never deep conditioned, and I did not daily rinse only every three days, then shampooed. I have found that for me daily rinsing, deep conditioning and massaging is the key for me to retain my length. I have 4b hair, my parents are Afro-Guyanese, my mother has 4a hair and my father had 4b and I always believed that my hair was slow growing, it was only when I noticed that when my father would shower his hair daily and he would have to cut it very quick. When I was under stress, my hair would break. After I started taking better care of my hair, I stopped blowing, I rarely press my hair, I do add highlights and after rinsing daily and deep conditioning. My hair has improved greatly and I am very pleased with the growth.

Raised hand!!!
My hair is not long by this boards standards however its the longest its every been.

What is your current length? Currently Im grazing APL
How long has it been that length? About a month or so
What is the longest length you had as a child? NL and periods of grazing SL
as an adult? This is the longest its every been
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Learning how to care for my hair, finding a regimen that works with my hair and not against it, finding products that actually keep my hair healthy and having patience

I am a 45 year old 100% African American.
What is your current length? Almost APL
How long has it been that length? 2 months
What is the longest length you had as a child? Chin length
as an adult? Current length
No sleeping on cotton pillowcase, sleeping in satin bonnet, detangling during conditioner only, no more hot combing, no more tight braids with fake hair, Finger detangling. Jeve

What is your current length? APL
How long has it been that length? 2 years
What is the longest length you had as a child? Between APL and BSL
as an adult? Between APL and BSL
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Deep treatments, relaxer stretching and Cathy Howse/Growafrolong.com

I don't have long hair, but I'll post anyways. I'm Afro-Caribbean. As such I may be mixed with all kinds of things. I've heard of a great great who was white, and a great great great on the other side who was Indian. Going back to 1832 that's all I've found (doing the family tree).
longest layer is between collerbone and armpit length
a few months i guess
I didn't really pay attention to my hair as a child. From what I remember, it grazed shoulder length and I could wear it in a small pony tail. Supposedly it was long and thick when I was really little, then the chemicals came
as an adult?
This is the longest. I can put my hair in a pony tail again for the first time since I was 9.
I decided to go natural 5 years ago. And I found the hair boards 2 years ago. Found out I was doing EVERYTHING wrong.
-no conditioner... for probably 8 years, I didn't know it was necessary and didnt use it
-combing when dry... mom told me that combing when wet breaks your hair
- small tooth comb on 4b/cnapp hair
- pink moisturizer
- over manipulation...
I changed all of that. And now my hair is happy. I don't do anything out of the ordinary, I comb/brush when damp, conditioner wash, moisturize, and keep my hair braided or twisted.

Lys

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
i'm full african american (or should i say i fit your 'asking criteria')
I don't have long hair yet, but I will say that my hair is starting to break a record in 10 years.

slightly past shoulder
about 2 months now
mid back when i was in elementary...got a perm in 3rd grade, then by 5th grade my hair started to deteriorate (sp?) after that. mostly b/c i was too young and uneducated about hair care to actually take care of relaxed hair. so i chopped it all off to bottom of neck
as an adult?
the current length i'm at now I reached back in high school (6 yrs ago). so later this year i'll be breaking a record
moisture moisture moisture
washing more often
taking special care to ends

Good Post!
Caribbean Black family tree
black momma, black poppa, black grandmama, black grandpoppa and black great grans
What is your current length? Relaxed APL/maybe a little longer
How long has it been that length? APL since last touch-up. It grew back this length after cutting off stringy breaking ends that had to go.
What is the longest length you had as a child? Short (Neck/ Collarbone)
An adult? Current Length
What do you contribute to your length/retention? No combing and the cut to remove the stringy breaking ends
HTH!

I am full african-american according to the criteria you have mentioned. I think this post could be really encouraging, especially for lurkers who may still be doubting or thinking this board is full of a certain type of hair.

What is your current length? Inching Past APL
How long has it been that length? It has been inching for a few months now
What is the longest length you had as a child? At some point in my childhood my hair was longer than this, but throughout most of high school my hair was a few inches past shoulder length, and then was about at shoulder length until I joined LHCF.
as an adult? This is the longest
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Laying off the heat, texlaxing, deep conditioning, learning more about moisture, and stretching (not long though, just from 6 weeks to 8-9 weeks).

I'm 100% black My parents are both from Africa but I was born and live in France.

What is your current length? APL
How long has it been that length? few months
What is the longest length you had as a child? something between APL and BSL
as an adult? past APL
What do you contribute to your length/retention? wash my hair twice a week, texlaxing, moisture, stretching relaxers

Hi!
I'm APL in the back now and I didn't have a piece of hair as a child. Now, I have a real nice head of hair that I base in part on divine intervention and the proper maintence. Now, I will go out on the limb and say that a lot of people on here might not like to actually come and and say that they were pick-headed as a child but to me it is what it is. I will put my hair up against a person who has had long hair for most of their life. Throughout my hair journey, I've come to realize that you get out of your hair what you put into it. Some people are blessed with maintence free hair and some not. I was blessed with the latter.

I just made APL this month but not real eager to claim it because I want my sides to catch up for the full effect. I'm very confident I will be BSL by the end of this year! The longest my hair was as a child was maybe an inch or two below my ears and upper neck length in the back. So you see I was a rather pick-headed child and adolescent. I think that moisutrizing and oiling my hair has worked miracles for my hair. Nowadays, I tend to keep a very simple regimen and my hair is still progressing as it did with all the complex stuff.

hello ladies,
i have to answer because i always feel that i am a living proof that 100% black can grown long hair....
i am a senegalese women from west africa, with black all around my familly no mix, and during chilhood my hair never grow past shoulder, since 1998 i have decide to grow my hair because i get pregneant and i have lot of hair and i tell to myself i have to keep it so i start to
strech relaxer: it was a must for me, i was doing 6 month strech at that time and iwas braiding my hair (no hair add) to avoid manipulation
then i discover the forum and i start taking care of my hair very seriously
moisturizing, 12 week sterch relaxer, the phyto 2 relaxer help me a lot my hair love it, and taking vitamine, exersice....no trim just dush....

my sister have neck hair

but it's long, take time and you really need patience

love u ladies i hope i help and please sorry for the bad english i do my best

so

Hi OP. I am 100% Black. I don't know my hair type b/c currently my hair is relaxed, but I'm sure I am a 4a/b. My mother is AA and my father is Jamaican. It doesn't get any blacker than me. =) As a child my head never grew past my ears at the top, and the back was right at my nape. My mother had two girls but knew nothing about taking care of hair. Her hair has been short all of her life. As a child, my hair grew and fell out constantly, and at one point I had a ring worm (from daycare) and ALL of my hair fell out. When I becme a teen, I began doing my own hair and it grew. I never paid any attention to what I was doing exactly to help my hair grow. I liked to wash it and keep it oiled so if anything, that was/is a staple in caring for my hair.

What is your current length? Shoulder length (relaxed)
How long has it been that length? Not sure. About 3/4 months.
as an adult? To my ears. =(
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Frequent washing and keeping it moisturized.

well both of my parents are black, so i think i can put a little input here in this thread.:yawn:

What is your current length? bsl
How long has it been that length? one year
as an adult? i have always had short hair as a child. and the back of my hair never grew (had to wear plaits) until middle school. maybe ear length, is there such a length:spinning:
What do you contribute to your length/retention. signing up for long hair car forums, paying attention to what my hair needs, and baggy my ends with moisturizer and carrot oil.
never give up hope, you'll meet your goal:yawn:

Thank you again Ladies!!!

Last edited:
I understand that....which is why I also added something like "both parents are black and no Asian/Indian/Caucasian grandparents'' in my criteria......remember this pertains to ME and MY background. I can't speak for anyone else.

No prob...your hair is beautiful btw...

Very True, i just wasnt sure if you really didnt understand what she was saying or not, thats the only reason i answered

Oh ok...that's cool.

...but on another note, how come the mixed thread got locked? That's not fair to those of us who aren't "100% black"...but interesting how one is ok and the other is not.

Oh ok...that's cool.

...but on another note, how come the mixed thread got locked? That's not fair to those of us who aren't "100% black"...but interesting how one is ok and the other is not.

I was wondering if this one was going to get locked in fairness....

I just think that its easier for people to take pride in having long hair and being "100% black" because everyone, and alot of the black community still say that it isnt possible

Alot of people believe that "mixed" hair is better, so i knew it would be very touchy no matter whats on the inside of the topic

I just think that its easier for people to take pride in having long hair and being "100% black" because everyone, and alot of the black community still say that it isnt possible

Alot of people believe that "mixed" hair is better, so i knew it would be very touchy no matter whats on the inside of the topic

I haven't read the other one but I would hope not for this one! This thread has been WAAAY more supportive and postive than anything else. I know I'm not the only one who benefited! :grin:

(And I LOVE your siggy pic. Very Cute!)

At the OP...I mean...technically you can't even count Carribean Blacks...I mean...some of them are also of Spanish descent...Chinese descent...blah blah blah.

I have these very same Caribbean roots. My mother's father is Panamanian and Jamaican. My dad's family is black like the other half of my mom's family (I'm sure slavery brought its share of race mixing like many other black families). He has one sister with waist-length hair and none of his other siblings has/had hair that long. She is 80 years old and still has all that hair (so I'm told).

I had a lot of hair as a child but I couldn't tell you whether it was long or not because I never did the stretch test. It was big and that is all I can say. I have wavy hair for the most part but the front edges are a different story. I have a few strands touching BSL but it still doesn't look that way after I flat iron it. I looks long (especially to other people) but I can't say that it is. I've been trying to get to full BSL since the fall of 2005. I still haven't gotten there yet. It's frustrating and I fully understand the OP's question.

Last edited:
Thank you again Ladies!!!

Not wanting to be left out...again...:ohwell:

I have some Indian and Chinese in my family about 4 generations back. A couple of my great-great-great-greats were biracial. What does that make me. About 5% non-black. Not enough to count genetically. I am a black woman with 4b hair. Don't think there is really any 4a in it. It may be those 30 grey strands that keep popping up in the front of my head, but that's it. And I want to pull those out.

I struggled on hair boards for years. Back in the mid 90's. Some of these ladies were on then. Long before LHCF was even thought of. It wasn't until 2003 when I went natural the last time, that I realized that my hair grew. If I stopped jumping on everyone's bandwagon and just cared for my hair. Some things I do are old school, some are new age. But I have a regimen that works. About two years ago, I tried some new things and my hair hated it. that is why I have been the same length for 2 years. Now I'm back on track and going for BSL this year.

It will come, just give it time.

My hair is not long by this board's standards, but by most of black society, it is.

IMO, that's really not fair. In other words, people who are mixed should not be able to discuss our hair because a lot of people believe that mixed hair is better. Yet, it's fine for us to be excluded from 100% black threads too. Maybe that thread could have helped to dispel ideas that mixed hair is better but it would never get the chance because once someone says "mixed," it's like saying a bad word. Certain people jumped all over it without giving it a chance. Further, it's guess it's only about the "black community," even though some of us belong to other communities too. Obviously, when you are mixed, you aren't allowed to discuss your hair but "100% black" people can...

IMO, that's really not fair. In other words, people who are mixed should not be able to discuss our hair because a lot of people believe that mixed hair is better. Yet, it's fine for us to be excluded from 100% black threads too. Maybe that thread could have helped to dispel ideas that mixed hair is better but it would never get the chance because once someone says "mixed," it's like saying a bad word. Certain people jumped all over it without giving it a chance. Further, it's guess it's only about the "black community," even though some of us belong to other communities too. Obviously, when you are mixed, you aren't allowed to discuss your hair but "100% black" people can...

Oh i dont believe that, i was just saying......I really wanted to see the answers because growing up i always assumed mixed females had no problem growing their hair untill i came to LHCF, i would have really loved to hear firsthand about their (or you guy's) hair strory individually

I was thinking about this for a second though......

There is no point at all in dividing all of the people on here based on their racial makeup to discuss their hair trouble because we ALL can share the same troubles.....it should be based individually.

Not saying that this thread is "right" or better than the other one, but 100% black people or whatever have faced the most doubt and everyones told them that they couldnt grow their hair long so it seems like a thread to prove it wrong would be acceptable.

Theres been no doubt about mixed women, white, chinese, asian ect. So it seems like a thread based on any other race proving that they could grow their hair would be pointless, because theirs never been any doubt---and we might as well all be proud then

ETA---but the other one wasnt about being mixed with long hair and proud, it was about the opposite and seeing if you dint fit the sterotypes everone beleived in that you had long or "better" hair----but i think people took it the wrong way esp. since it came right after this one like it was intened to start a "war"

And i dont fit in any cetogory either......

Last edited:
Oh i dont believe that, i was just saying......I really wanted to see the answers because growing up i always assumed mixed females had no problem growing their hair untill i came to LHCF, i would have really loved to hear firsthand about their (or you guy's) hair strory individually

Sorry, I wasn't saying that you believed that, but I just meant generally. Maybe at some point, a thread like that may get started without too much confusion over it...

All of us (women of color, or if I want to one drop, Black women) came to LHCF because we have hair issues. Having mixed ancestry doesnt mean that one will have 3a or 3b hair and having 3a or 3b hair doesnt mean that one is capable of achieving length with ease. Just as people said in the mixed thread, which is now deleted, starting a thread based on hair TYPE would have been more productive, for a number of reasons. This thread has proven what? I dont know the OP's hair type, but I guaran-damn-tee that every "real black person" that posted in this thread was not a 4z/4b or any other "real black person" hair type.

All of that said, if people received some sort of encouragement or motivation from this kind of thread- more power to you... I guess. :look:

I was thinking about this for a second though......

There is no point at all in dividing all of the people on here based on their racial makeup to discuss their hair trouble because we ALL can share the same troubles.....it should be based individually.

Not saying that this thread is "right" or better than the other one, but 100% black people or whatever have faced the most doubt and everyones told them that they couldnt grow their hair long so it seems like a thread to prove it wrong would be acceptable.

Theres been no doubt about mixed women, white, chinese, asian ect. So it seems like a thread based on any other race proving that they could grow their hair would be pointless, because theirs never been any doubt---and we might as well all be proud then

ETA---but the other one wasnt about being mixed with long hair and proud, it was about the opposite and seeing if you dint fit the sterotypes everone beleived in that you had long or "better" hair----but i think people took it the wrong way esp. since it came right after this one like it was intened to start a "war"

And i dont fit in any cetogory either......

I see your point and understand how "100% black" women may feel based on their experiences. At the same time, no one stopped to even consider Panamaown's comments about how people didn't understand how she's black and Hispanic, and doesn't have a particular hair type/growth (?). I believe she had started getting into perceptions about her hair should be as someone who is mixed. The discussion didn't get a chance to develop because of how people viewed the "mixed" thread. Correct me if I'm wrong but her hair isn't long/very long right now so I believe the thread was certainly not about being mixed with long hair and proud. People quickly dismissed it as such without really reading more...

If people thought it was intended to start a "war" then maybe they should think twice. Those of us who are of mixed parentage/grand-parentage are excluded from discussion in this thread so why is it so bad for someone to start one for us?

I see your point and understand how "100% black" women may feel based on their experiences. At the same time, no one stopped to even consider Panamaown's comments about how people didn't understand how she's black and Hispanic, and doesn't have a particular hair type/growth (?). I believe she had started getting into perceptions about her hair should be as someone who is mixed. The discussion didn't get a chance to develop because of how people viewed the "mixed" thread. Correct me if I'm wrong but her hair isn't long/very long right now so I believe the thread was certainly not about being mixed with long hair and proud. People quickly dismissed it as such without really reading more...

If people thought it was intended to start a "war" then maybe they should think twice. Those of us who are of mixed parentage/grand-parentage are excluded from discussion in this thread so why is it so bad for someone to start one for us?[/quote]

Yeah, thats what i was saying as well/I agree.

Oh ok...that's cool.

I do think that's unfair, but I'm going to stop commenting on this thread. I think I've hijacked it, enough.

i'm not sure how a thread like this would be beneficial. i understand the OP's idea of wanting encouragement from people similar to her, but nobody's 100% black. well the majority of people who consider themselves to be black can't say that every single person in their family is 100% black. my great great grandfather was 100% native american, and i've got a half black / half white grandma somewhere in my ancestry, and some asian 5 or 6 generations back, so i'm definitely excluded from this thread...

i'm not sure if this was said earlier, but i think a better thread would have addressed those who are 4a / 4b with long hair.

but even that wouldn't do much good, either; people from every race have every texture of hair. there are japanese people with 3b / 3c hair, just like there are black people with natural 3a / 3b / 3c hair.

i guess what i'm trying to get across is that long lengths of hair can be achieved by ANYBODY with ANY texture hair, so don't be discouraged! but by making a thread pointed specifically at one type of person; especially one that is extremely rare, while excluding everyone else isn't such a good idea.

just my opinion :look:

although at this point i think a bit of this is going on here :deadhorse:

:ohwell:
although at this point i think a bit of this is going on here :deadhorse:

It soooooo is.....

I think I need to repeat this though this will be for the LAST TIME.

I created this thread to find women similar to me. POINT BLANK AND SIMPLE. Will that exclude some people? OF COURSE! Everyone is not like me! How ridiculous is it, even for political fairness, to assume that everyone in here is going to have the same heritage/background. We don't. Of course this doesn't mean that women who are mixed don't struggle with growing their hair too. I’m sure they do. That's just not the criteria I fall into or what I was looking for in creating this thread. I know my own struggles over the years. I know how I grew up and how MY hair was. I find it quite troublesome that anyone would be offended because I want to find women who are like me. Does that mean someone can’t ask for women who “have long hair and live in Atlanta??” because that’s where they live? :ohwell: I didn't say "You are 100% AA if"... I said I was looking for those who were 100% AA but if you had x,y,z you're excluded from MY ciriteria. Get it??? I’m not challenging your “blackness”. I HAD to exclude what did not pertain to me. This has nothing to do with stereotypes, so please, LET IT GO! If my mom were mixed, my question would have been no different except I would have included that in my asking criteria. Please don’t turn this into a “black vs. mixed” thread. That has no place here.

So am I encouraged by a white woman growing 2 feet of hair in a year? NO. Am I encouraged by someone who is Black and whose parents and grandparents are black who grows 2 feet of hair in 4 years? YES! Why? Because she is like me!!!! No matter what other factors contribute to that hair growth, I will ALWAYS be encouraged by someone who's similar to me growing long hair. Period. I know that my locks are cared for and loved-for the past 5 years-, so that goes unspoken. I also know that NO black girl I’ve ever met has ever told me “I mistreat my hair” and it’s long. So for me, I don’t need to ask that. It goes without saying. If you assume otherwise well…you know what they say about ASSume. Though I’m encouraged by any black woman who grows their hair long, there is something extra special when that person is like you. Because you can see yourself in that person-or at least I can. Why did all AA women rejoice when HalleBerry won an oscar? Why are most black people excited at the prospect that Obama may become president? Why do you think people look for their “hair twin” or someone with their “hair type”? So they can be hopeful as well as be encouraged because that person is LIKE THEM. If this thread doesn’t encourage you well….there are a million and one other threads on this forum. I’m sure you can find one to give you the encouragement you need. This ones mine.

5015.jpg

:ohwell:

It soooooo is.....

I think I need to repeat this though this will be for the LAST TIME.

I created this thread to find women similar to me. POINT BLANK AND SIMPLE. Will that exclude some people? OF COURSE! Everyone is not like me! How ridiculous is it, even for political fairness, to assume that everyone in here is going to have the same heritage/background. We don't. Of course this doesn't mean that women who are mixed don't struggle with growing their hair too. I’m sure they do. That's just not the criteria I fall into or what I was looking for in creating this thread. I know my own struggles over the years. I know how I grew up and how MY hair was. I find it quite troublesome that anyone would be offended because I want to find women who are like me. Does that mean someone can’t ask for women who “have long hair and live in Atlanta??” because that’s where they live? :ohwell: I didn't say "You are 100% AA if"... I said I was looking for those who were 100% AA but if you had x,y,z you're excluded from MY ciriteria. Get it??? I’m not challenging your “blackness”. I HAD to exclude what did not pertain to me. This has nothing to do with stereotypes, so please, LET IT GO! If my mom were mixed, my question would have been no different except I would have included that in my asking criteria. Please don’t turn this into a “black vs. mixed” thread. That has no place here.

So am I encouraged by a white woman growing 2 feet of hair in a year? NO. Am I encouraged by someone who is Black and whose parents and grandparents are black who grows 2 feet of hair in 4 years? YES! Why? Because she is like me!!!! No matter what other factors contribute to that hair growth, I will ALWAYS be encouraged by someone who's similar to me growing long hair. Period. I know that my locks are cared for and loved-for the past 5 years-, so that goes unspoken. I also know that NO black girl I’ve ever met has ever told me “I mistreat my hair” and it’s long. So for me, I don’t need to ask that. It goes without saying. If you assume otherwise well…you know what they say about ASSume. Though I’m encouraged by any black woman who grows their hair long, there is something extra special when that person is like you. Because you can see yourself in that person-or at least I can. Why did all AA women rejoice when HalleBerry won an oscar? Why are most black people excited at the prospect that Obama may become president? Why do you think people look for their “hair twin” or someone with their “hair type”? So they can be hopeful as well as be encouraged because that person is LIKE THEM. If this thread doesn’t encourage you well….there are a million and one other threads on this forum. I’m sure you can find one to give you the encouragement you need. This ones mine.

5015.jpg

I understand missdivine. I'm excluded because, my grandpa was half Indian, I had long hair when I was a child and I have short hair now but I'm not offended. It's all good. :grin:

Hi OP. I am 100% Black. I don't know my hair type b/c currently my hair is relaxed, but I'm sure I am a 4a/b. My mother is AA and my father is Jamaican. It doesn't get any blacker than me. =) As a child my head never grew past my ears at the top, and the back was right at my nape. My mother had two girls but knew nothing about taking care of hair. Her hair has been short all of her life. As a child, my hair grew and fell out constantly, and at one point I had a ring worm (from daycare) and ALL of my hair fell out. When I becme a teen, I began doing my own hair and it grew. I never paid any attention to what I was doing exactly to help my hair grow. I liked to wash it and keep it oiled so if anything, that was/is a staple in caring for my hair.

What is your current length? Shoulder length (relaxed)
How long has it been that length? Not sure. About 3/4 months.
as an adult? To my ears. =(
What do you contribute to your length/retention? Frequent washing and keeping it moisturized.

Last edited:
Read most of this thread. This is all a little too much for me. :spinning:

I am just trying to have healthy, strong, shiny, pretty hair without it being that big of a deal.

This thread is making my head spin :drunk: I had to stop on page 9.

Edited to add:

What about this? My niece is black, as we all are (except my mixed son). She has type 3a/b hair and it is fairly long. She is 100% black but why was she born with hair that normally someone of mixed race would have? My son is mixed and is hair is much kinkier than hers.

Anyway her hair is not as long and healthy as it could be because my mom is doing the same stuff to her hair that she did to my 4a/b hair. My niece has split ends and frizziness that just should not be for such a young child. Unless someone teaches her now, she is going to end up with short hair.

My point is that there are so many situations and hair types and backgrounds and methods parents used, you cannot really generalize it.

Last edited:
So am I encouraged by a white woman growing 2 feet of hair in a year? NO. Am I encouraged by someone who is Black and whose parents and grandparents are black who grows 2 feet of hair in 4 years? YES! Why? Because she is like me!!!!

I feel you on this. I find that I am less interested in progress pics from those that have hair types that are different than mine.

People like to say that all hair grows at the same rate, blah blah blah. I don't think that is true. Even though he is not mixed (all white) my BF's hair grows sooooo fast. I mean I can cut it and it is back in no time. Even here at work, I have 2 co-workers one white and one Asian. Both got short hair cuts. It took them NO TIME to grow their hair back and it was simple and easy for them - no protective styles, pre-poos, growth aids and other things.

You cannot tell me there is no difference.

Edited to add:
I am mad that this thread has almost 12,000 hits. :lachen:

Last edited:
Back