Raise your hand if you are 100% black with long hair!

*****WARNING: IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED OR DON"T TAKE THE TIME TO READ THROUGH ENTIRE POSTS, PLEASE STOP HERE. THE CONTENT CONTAINED HEREIN WILL PROBABLY BE FOUND OFFENSIVE TO YOU.*****

Ok, let me first start by saying that this thread is not intended to offend ANYONE! If you are mixed and have long hair, I am by no means discrediting your accomplishments with growing your hair. I just need some personal encouragement from those who are like me! :grin:

That being said, I want to know if there is anyone out there who is 100% African-Carribean American who has long hair (anything past shoulder) and DID NOT have it all of their life. I am a believer that hair growth is greatly in part due to genetics so if you had long hair as a child, your excluded. If any of your parents are 100% other or are mixed, meaning your Grandma was Caucasian/Indian/Asian/Puerto Rican or any other "an" besides African, you also are excluded. If you grew up being able to say "I got Indian in my family!", yep, your excluded too. :look: :takecover:

So who does that leave? The "Both my parents are 100% negro and I did not have long hair when I was little" group. I just need to know that you exist. If you fit the criteria (be honest wit ya self!), please reply and answer the questions below. I will reply to them in a new post (If you have any before/after pics, that would be great too!).

What is your current length?
How long has it been that length?
What is the longest length you had as a child?
as an adult?
What do you contribute to your length/retention?

It seems that every time I admire someones phenominal hair growth or health, I find out that they grandma/grandpa was white or Indian. I REFUSE to believe that 100% AA hair doesn't grow long! I need to know there is some hope for me! :cry: :tantrum: :crybaby: :cry3: :cry:

Thank you in advance!
Hi!

I'm APL in the back now and I didn't have a piece of hair as a child.:nono: Now, I have a real nice head of hair that I base in part on divine intervention and the proper maintence. Now, I will go out on the limb and say that a lot of people on here might not like to actually come and and say that they were pick-headed as a child but to me it is what it is. I will put my hair up against a person who has had long hair for most of their life. Throughout my hair journey, I've come to realize that you get out of your hair what you put into it. Some people are blessed with maintence free hair and some not. I was blessed with the latter.

I just made APL this month but not real eager to claim it because I want my sides to catch up for the full effect. I'm very confident I will be BSL by the end of this year! The longest my hair was as a child was maybe an inch or two below my ears and upper neck length in the back. So you see I was a rather pick-headed child and adolescent.:lol: I think that moisutrizing and oiling my hair has worked miracles for my hair. Nowadays, I tend to keep a very simple regimen and my hair is still progressing as it did with all the complex stuff.

I've been a member of this board since December 2004 and I'm very content with the direction this board has forwarded me so much till I really don't frequent the hair boards as much. With that said, I've tried to keep a detailed account of my journey because I knew there would be someone like yourself hunting for the answers to your question(s). When I first came here, I could never find more than 3-4 people at best with PICS that would proclaim that they were bald headed as a child/adolescent and it deeply disturbed me which I why I decided to keep my album updated to serve as inspiration to people such as yourself.

Good luck in your hair journey. Btw, my mother is African American and my father is Jamaican.

I'm so confused :lachen:

If someone talks about how they are mixed with Indian or something you get a 200 page thread about how most folks aren't mixed, etc. etc. and those who say they are probably aren't, etc. etc.

But when someone says where are the 100% black ladies at....the whole first page is folks giving her a hard time?

I just want somebody to answer the question. :lachen:

Thank you ladies on the second page for answer the questions. :grin:

This is confusing to me as well!:rolleyes:

Great post, I often wondered about this too when I first got joined, but was afraid the LHCF police would come after me:look:.

My answer won't be of much help to you b/c even though I fit the criteria (100% African, Sierra Leonean), my hair is by no means that long....YET. But since I stumbled on Sonce's fotki and a few others who have wonderfully gorgeous, healthy, long hair, I know that it's possible. Plus my hair is just growing like a weed over here.

OT: Sonce...I just love the way to speak...urrh write. So eloquent!!![/quote]

I 2nd this opinion and i love reading her posts!!!:grin:

:lachen: funny that you'll have a 30+ pages thread with people getting offended when they are confused (or secretly flattered) with another ethicity, stating with pride they are mainly black, yet the first pages of your thread are filled with 'we are all mixed' , there is no such thing as really black :lachen::look:

Man you learn something new everyday, apparently i'm mixed :lachen:

I think the Op was talking about full black as not having direct 'other' ancestry (parents or grand parents); and sorry, most peopole won't consider you mixed if your great great grand mother on your cousins side was indian :lachen:

Anyway, i have APL, stretched natural hair, i consider that pretty long, consider that i have the hair type that most don't consider can grow long :rolleyes:

Until recently, i rarely moisturised :look:, but my hair still grew.

Funny!!!!!!!:D But true!!!!!!!

not trying to start an argument, but i disagree. people of other races, who may have straight or curly hair are able to retain length better because their less kinky the hair is the more the oil can spread evenly down the shaft=less breakage=more length retention.

Growth rate is different for each person not race.

I didn't think you were starting an argument. I'm not offended that easily. :grin:

You're probably right. I use "grow" and "retain" interchangeably. I never said "retain" before lhcf. :lol:

Last edited:
Now that I'm all caught up on the posts, I must say :thankyou: ladies!! You guys are soo encouraging. I really appreciate being able to "let my hair down" here cause let me tell you, I don't believe any of my friends share in my hair care goals. Can you see me trying to explain to them that "tonight is deep conditioning night and no way I'm skipping that, and no, I don't care if it's the premier of Tyler Perry's new play!" :nono: :lachen:

And let the church say Amen! My grandmother is Japanese and that silky hair gene has not shown up in any of the grandkids. Me and my sister often joke that the average full blooded African-American woman has "better" hair than we do and we're "mixed" :lachen:.

OKAY??!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Miss Divine, I am offended by your thread.... but I'm still laughing my arse off at the concept. Go one ahead.... just messin' which ya.

I have 3c/4a hair and all of my parent's, their parents, their parents were bi-racial, white or indian. That **** don't work.

I'm so confused :lachen:

If someone talks about how they are mixed with Indian or something you get a 200 page thread about how most folks aren't mixed, etc. etc. and those who say they are probably aren't, etc. etc.

But when someone says where are the 100% black ladies at....the whole first page is folks giving her a hard time?

I just want somebody to answer the question. :lachen:

Thank you ladies on the second page for answer the questions. :grin:

:lol: I do think that there are very few people that don't have anyone other than someone Black in their family line. The funny thing about genes is that a genetic trait can be visible for up to 5-7 generations after that person was born (meaning your great, great, great grandmother could have had blue eyes, and you could have them, even though no one in your family has this quality). It's just the way it is. I got what the OP was asking, so I wasn't offended!

I really like this thread....lots of good points brought up

I just hope that same amount of support would/ will be given if someone were to start a thread that pertained to mixed, bi-racials, etc and not take it as offensive, or say that they are "actin like" they are better than someone else... :yep:

Another Yoruba sistah from Nigeria-the Motherland representing here!
Shout out to my Nigerian sistahs!
OP, this is an insightful and interesting thread.

People life is simple, don't make it complicated. The OP asked pointed-non-confusing questions, therefore I believe there should be more pointed-non-confusing answers and less of the lecture on how the right hair typing should be based on 1A through to 10Z and not race:look:

To answer your questions, my hair is getting there. However it's the healthiest it's ever been cos I'm transitioning to natural. My hair wants to be like Sonce's when it grows up:grin:

HHG!

People life is simple, don't make it complicated. The OP asked pointed-non-confusing questions, therefore I believe there should be more pointed-non-confusing answers and less of the lecture on how the right hair typing should be based on 1A through to 10Z and not race:look:

To answer your questions, my hair is getting there. However it's the healthiest it's ever been cos I'm transitioning to natural. My hair wants to be like Sonce's when it grows up:grin:

HHG!

Everywhere you go you find Nigerians...since ya'll hijacking the thread and all I might as well claim my ancestry too. If my grandfather is 50% Ibo does that make me 12.5%????

I digress though....back to lurking:sekret::sekret:

OT...but hey Sis...Naija in da house:lachen:....I believe im 100% blk too...I definitely do not consider my hair long but it is the longest it has ever been (CBL)...and No i didnt have long hair as a child...I give myself 2 more yrs tho...nah make it 3:grin:(my slow *** growing hair)..and ill be where SONCE is right now:yep:
Right on! Drink your gaari too. Vitamin G! Gaari and suya can solve all the world's problems. :lachen:

Last edited:

HHG!
Right on, fellow Yoruba! My hair's not done growing though. One day it'll be long enough for me to beat kids' azzes with my braid. :lachen:You know Naijas have to tie everything to disciplining kids.

:lol: You go! :lachen: I'm so proud to have members like you on the board, sonce. :clap: You guys know what the OP meant. She clearly stated it in the very first post!
But since I stumbled on Sonce's fotki and a few others who have wonderfully gorgeous, healthy, long hair, I know that it's possible. Plus my hair is just growing like a weed over here.

OT: Sonce...I just love the way to speak...urrh write. So eloquent!!!
I 2nd this opinion and i love reading her posts!!!:grin:
Thanks for the love, ladies! :grouphug: You know I lurrrrrrve you guys too. I'm soooo glad my fotki is helpful. The sacrifice of other ladies who documented their hair journeys on their fotkis is how I learned how to take care of my hair, so I'm glad to give back somehow.

I know!!! Ya'll got a daggon mafia up in here!

How can I be down? My step-dad is nigerian....does that count?:look:
Yea you can be down--I'm claiming you! In fact, I'm claiming errrrrybody on this board until y'all show with clear and convincing evidence (I'm talking affidavits and DNA evidence) on a case by case basis that you're not from my neck of the woods. The slave trade occurred mainly in west Africa, you know. :yep:

I just hope that same amount of support would/ will be given if someone were to start a thread that pertained to mixed, bi-racials, etc and not take it as offensive, or say that they are "actin like" they are better than someone else... :yep:
No, no, that is unacceptable. We don't need no biracials flaunting their good hurr and lightskindedness in our faces.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I don't think anyone would have an issue with that(ha! now you know that was a lie! :look: Well, whatever, I don't have an issue with it.)

Unfortunately you are correct. :ohwell:

WHA, WHAAATTTTT...:i'm flauntin my lightskinnededness just cuz u said that! haha!!! i DID NOT, howver, get the gud hurr to match...until this forum that is ;) and why u got that sneaky sentence in yellow?! u tryna call me a high yellow ***** :lachen:

No, no, that is unacceptable. We don't need no biracials flaunting their good hurr and lightskindedness in our faces.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I don't think anyone would have an issue with that(ha! now you know that was a lie! :look: Well, whatever, I don't have an issue with it.)

WHA, WHAAATTTTT...:i'm flauntin my lightskinnededness just cuz u said that! haha!!! i DID NOT, howver, get the gud hurr to match
Paternity fraud! All mixed folks have good hurr. It's how we catch regular black folks trying to perpetrate. :yep: :look:

...until this forum that is ;) and why u got that sneaky sentence in yellow?! u tryna call me a high yellow ***** :lachen:
Oh you're a fine one to talk typing in black font the way you are! Trying to call me black as tar, hmmm??? :lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:black as tar!!!!!!

Haha!!! Funny that some people actually believe that too. They need to be directed to the last thread I just started. Boy that was some jacked up hurr right thrrr lol!!

Paternity fraud! All mixed folks have good hurr. It's how we catch regular black folks trying to perpetrate. :yep: :look:

Oh you're a fine one to talk typing in black font the way you are! Trying to call me black as tar, hmmm??? :lachen:

Right on, fellow Yoruba! My hair's not done growing though. One day it'll be long enough for me to beat kids' azzes with my braid. :lachen:You know Naijas have to tie everything to disciplining kids.

You got that right!:lachen:
Thank God for my good skin cos those 'discipline' marks did not remain!
Oh the memories of my daddy's belt across my palms and my mommy's-anything-her-hand-grabs-at-that-moment disciplining tool...........I so not miss!:lachen:

Plus, I believe that you can be "100% black". Since race is a social construct, in this country at least, you either are black or your not. :yep: Scientifically speaking, I may not be 100% negroid, but I can be still be 100% black. Does that make sense?

**steps on soapbox** Race is a social construction! IT'S NOT REAL. **steps off soapbox**

OP- I know where you're coming from. I've never had long hair (partly because I cut it all the time and partly because I didn't know how to care for it). We just want to know its possible for girls who identify with us.

:yep: Great thread!!! Took me all day to read this at work (had to keep minimizing :look:) Anyway I am black and yes I was a bald child! Hair was NEVER past ear length! This board saved my life and I LOVE IT! Now granted I started my hair growth period by going SKIN BALD...I am now the proud owner of neck length naps! MY HAIR AINT NEVA BEEN THIS LONG :lachen: So I wanted to celebrate that!!!!

Is anyone really 100% black? :perplexed

Unless you were born in Africa of Africans, there's a good chance there's all sorts of races mingling around in your lineage. :blush: And even then there's no guaruntee because there are white Africans.

No. The only person I have known to claim 100% is African (Nigerian)

(SORRY MY POST IS A BIT LONG--CAN'T HELP IT) :yep:

I assume my ancestry is much like most African Americans.....some Caucasian & Native American from waaay back when. I have naturally dense & extremely thirsty 4b/c hair w/ a teeny 3c patch in the back (don't know where that came from---I had no hair there all my life until now & it has grown a completely different texture than the rest-wierd :look:). But I know I still qualify b/c it's only a teeny section and any peek at my album will surely prove my cNapp staus LOL! moving on.....:drunk:

My hair never got past ear length as a child. I used to think it was b/c I did not have "good hair" but now I know it was b/c my mother had no clue what to do w/ my hair...she herself had 4a/b hair that never got long either....My hair is by no means long now, but I did the BC to less than an inch (ceasar cut) one 1/2 yeas ago so I have a while to go....I would love to reach Sonce's length (so inspiring!)...

It took me a while to realize that people w/ my texture could actually achieve long lengths...growing up the only ones I saw w/ long hair that had my texture were those who wore locs..... I too had locs for 3 years back in college and my hair grew the longest it has ever been (shoulder length)....Can you believe I had never achieved a ponytail until then? :nono: Sad but true....

After finding hair boards and online photo albums, I realized the keys for retaining length for 4/b-z texture...a similar thread runs through the regimens of most 4b sistas w/ long hair...

Due to the nature of our napps, the many crinkles, coils, twirls, etc, it is VERY fragile & thirsty.... the napps love WATER & HUMECTANTS..... They do not like harsh cleansers either & they do not like to be manipulated much thriving on protective styles.....I consider locs the ultimate protective style b/c there is no detangling ever, so napps are allowed to grow to the toes & beyond regardless of texture...however other protective styles like braids/twists are very effective in helping to retain the length! ...

That does not mean we cannot wear out styles & retain length at the same time, however we will not achieve it as fast...I try to balance it out by wearing braids/twists in the dry cold Winter (my hair despises this weather) and more out styles (no combing --twistsouts or braidouts) in humid weather (my hair soaks up the moisture)....

To be honest, until I came across albums of women like Sonce w/ LONG 4b natural hair, I was doubting something serious that my hair could reach bra strap & beyond (that was not even on my goals list b/c I thought it was ridiculous for me to even fathom it) ....

I was frustrated when I first found the boards b/c I was like "Where are my really nappy sistas at?" I then thought that maybe going natural was not for sistas w/ hair like me but only for those w/ coils popping everywhere or waves galore.....

I did eventually find them but I think finding natural 4b-z sistas w/ long hair is hard--not b/c it's not possible, but I believe that most women w/ our texture don't give their hair a chance b/c they were taught that it would be useless..they get easily frustrated w/ the dry fragile nature of the hair & unfortunately, they may not have access to hair boards where they can learn HOW to maintain healthy natural 4b hair..so as a result they keep doing what they are doing wrong ....

So for my part I try to educate & encourage those I know w/ my texture and I hope that my healhty hair practices inspire them to believe that it IS possible....

NappyRina

Last edited:
I think this was mentioned before but I wanted to add...growth & length retention are two different things....some people grow hair faster/slower than others regardless of texture...but if your regimen does not suit your texture & scalp needs, you will never retain long hair no matter how fast your hair grows!

I envy those whose hair not only sprouts super fast out of their scalp but who manage to retain ALL of it :spinning:

NappyRina

**steps on soapbox** Race is a social construction! IT'S NOT REAL. **steps off soapbox**

THank you for coming in here and saying that. I tried to explain this concept and it was like people were falling over themselves trying to explain that there was such thing as race. It was a concept that was invented to perpetuate ignorance and division among humans- clearly its working.:nono:

Anotha Nigerian girl checking in!!!

It's funny because before reading this thread, I considered myself blickity black (London Slang for 'as black as you can get').

My mum and dad are both Nigerian (from different tribes including Yoruba, Calaba, River State and Igbo) however my mum's grandad is Scottish.

My hair is more wavy than kinky therefore I probably couldn't class myself as 100% black if we are basing it on generational heritage.

Reading this thread was very encouraging and I commend the OP for taking the time to shout out for those who more than often feel discouraged about their ability to grow REAL long hair, kinks, naps and pepper grains and all!

Last edited:
Back