Prank gone wrong

Oooooo-weeeeee, I'd be pissed if I were your SO. Don't lie to me and play some sort of trick or game for your amusement at my expense. That is so unnecessary. :nono:

This is an example of a women being manipulative. Women call it "games", but its really a form of manipulation because the mans response is then later used against him....and he is calling you as if HE did something wrong towards you. MANIPULATION AT ITS BEST!

That is one thing about a man, they don't like being manipulated.

If I were him, I would be pissed and I would have you making another thread titled "what did I do and how can I get him back"

Manipulation (aka mind games) is a total deal breaker for most men (and women for that matter).

Last edited:
I'm glad he was okay about it and found it funny. I thought he would probably say he knew it was you all along and that's why he went along with it. But I was also thinking that maybe he knew it wasn't the ex because he actually got in touch with her and that's when he came clean about it.

Bottom line is...to wonder is to know. You will never get it out of your head now whether or not you can trust him. And any outward signs you may have been given IF was a cheater will be on check now for sure.

I don't know...overall he sounds like a good guy because in the end his conscious got the best of him for lying. That's really what it takes to make it in a relationship it's about their character....what a person does when no one is watching.

Now...don't do that no more...:lachen:

Wow you people don't even know the whole story (what was exactly said in the messages) besides that I asked if he wanted to hang out.

It was not manipulation, it was not that deep, and no we are not breaking up over something as petty as this.

You all take some things way too seriously. I said I was wrong for it, but y'all are taking it way too far. Even he didn't care that much, because what I did really wasn't that big of a deal.

Wow you people don't even know the whole story (what was exactly said in the messages) besides that I asked if he wanted to hang out.

It was not manipulation, it was not that deep, and no we are not breaking up over something as petty as this.

You all take some things way too seriously. I said I was wrong for it, but y'all are taking it way too far. Even he didn't care that much, because what I did really wasn't that big of a deal.

It is manipulation if in your wrong (lie) you hold his response against him by saying you're mad at him and don't want to talk to him.

I'm glad it worked out for you. :look:

This is an example of a women being manipulative. Women call it "games", but its really a form of manipulation because the mans response is then later used against him....and he is calling you as if HE did something wrong towards you. MANIPULATION AT ITS BEST!

If I were him, I would be pissed and I would have you making another thread titled "what did I do and how can I get him back"

Manipulation (aka mind games) is a total deal breaker for most men (and women for that matter).

That is funny...:lachen:I'm glad he didn't take it that seriously. I hate it when we do something silly and men just totally go off a cliff about it. He sounds like he has a good sense of humor. That's a big one for me.

Geeee do you know what a prank is?

Sure, I wasn't honest, but what I did wasn't dirty.

Now that I think about it, it was kinda funny because I thought it would've been obvious that it was me....I was saying a lot of crazy (not nasty) stuff to him :lol:

You should be asking yourself what a prank is, 'cause that wasn't it. Like Mike Tyson once said "its all fun and games until you get hit in the mouth." Your bf's initial response was the equivalent of you getting hit in the mouth. Im glad you guys worked through it, that's cool. I dont think he was up to no good. But dont "act" like your "pranking" when you arent. Try leaving a fake mouse on his pillow while he's asleep....that's a prank.

1. I don't remember ever asking who was texting him and thought this question could be seen as too personal. Unless we're both waiting on a response I guess...
2. Meesch, even though your SO didn't mind that this guy asked you out, I wouldn't be so sure he really didn't mind. Did he know that you told the texter you might hang out with him?
From what I've seen and sometimes experienced, some men will keep found information as an out and throw it up in your face when they want to do the same.

I'm glad yall are cool and he isn't upset now, but I'm gonna ask you to think on if you really trust him or not. When I figured out how to send prank messages, I was saying weird stuff, like how my SO's teeth look like feta cheese and how their feet smelled like buttered popcorn :look: not pretending to be an ex to gauge a reaction. I completely understand jealousy, because I am the jealous type and a bit controlling, but I'm honest with myself about them. If you do have some trust issues, its all good, but be real with yourself about em ya know?

i wouldn't punch my bf in the face just to see if he would punch me back and then say "oh so you're a woman beater" :lol:

You should be asking yourself what a prank is, 'cause that wasn't it. Like Mike Tyson once said "its all fun and games until you get hit in the mouth." Your bf's initial response was the equivalent of you getting hit in the mouth. Im glad you guys worked through it, that's cool. I dont think he was up to no good. But dont "act" like your "pranking" when you arent. Try leaving a fake mouse on his pillow while he's asleep....that's a prank.

Good Night! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Seriously though, this scenario reminds me of a guy I dated years ago that called himself testing me by saying that something awful had happened and then judging me on my response. I promptly set his arse by the curb. (Cue Beyonce... To the Left, To the Left)

This wasn't a prank; what you did was immature, and a sign of serious trust issues. Why play an ex? Why not play someone's mother who's texting her grown son to make sure he brings her car back so she can get to her Bingo game?

So it's all cool now because things turned out ok....but believe that he has filed this away to use it again later. Men don't like silly games, they may laugh it off but trust me when I say, he will bring it back up and use it as a "reason".

YasashiiSekai said:
Well...the only reason why I did it is because I would have never thought this would happen.
He says he hates his ex, so I trusted him enough to think it would just be funny to see what mean things he would say to her.

Just because a guy says he hates his ex it does not mean anything. You would be amazed at how some guys would talk bad about woman of their past but consider hanging out or converse with the woman. That is why when a guy calls their ex crazy or give a extreme response I side eye. I wouldn't have done anything like that. Your SO did not do anything worth confronting at this point.

YasashiiSekai said:
I don't really want to talk to him now, but he doesn't know why.

He's been calling me and he just left a message telling the truth that he lied and whatnot...

I'm just gonna tell him it was me and talk about it.
I still don't know if I can trust him the same way anymore.

But you were the person that was wrong to be honest. You are playing games which is not being honest. Its hard to trust when games come into play. Take this as a lesson bc it backfired. You took a situation and created drama and now feel differently about the trust for your boyfriend on false information. His actions were normal to me. I can see if he was like yeah we can meet up. He hesitated/ignored bc he knew it would be wrong, he really has no interest, or both.

Seeking8Rights said:

I did not see your post but ITA. It is manipulation. I see that op settled the situation. I am glad he laughed it off.

Last edited:
I heard his message alert go off while we were talking.

I asked him who it was.

He lied.

He told me it was his co worker asking him about something. He doesn't usually lie, so it took him a minute to think of something, but I let him struggle with his words.

If you were not in his physical presence, how do you know that it was your fake text at the time you heard his message alert went off? What if he really did receive a message from a co-worker at the time you were on the phone with him and then received your fake text next? Didn't he text you later and said an old female friend text him (which was actually your fake text)?

Well I told him the truth and he laughed. He said he knew it was weird because the things i was saying didn't even sound like her.

Are you saying this just to "save face" here on the forum to take some of the heat off of you? Why can he laugh about it, but you still see him as doing wrong by not telling you specifically it was his ex when he wasn't for sure that it was her or not? Doesn't add up.

OP - I'm glad everything worked out. Your situation and the responses have actually helped me understand things that I may have done in the past. Jealousy is one helluva drug.

I think this part was a little much.

YasashiiSekai said:
So, I got on the phone with him and while we were talking I sent him a text from "her" so he would really think it wasn't me.

I heard his message alert go off while we were talking.

I asked him who it was.

He lied.

He told me it was his co worker asking him about something. He doesn't usually lie, so it took him a minute to think of something, but I let him struggle with his words.

I'm not sure if I should be angry or not.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

aah lady, unfortunately, while you think this wasn't a big deal, its the beginning of his doubts about you. You tricked him. Deception like this, men don't forget, even though they tell you its no big deal. Been there. You're going to have to work very hard to get back to where you were. and even then, its no guarantee you guys will be 100%. If he has any guy friends, can you imagine what they're saying to him now about what you did? It won't be pretty, I'll tell you that.

Last edited:
I don't really want to talk to him now, but he doesn't know why.

He's been calling me and he just left a message telling the truth that he lied and whatnot...

I'm just gonna tell him it was me and talk about it.
I still don't know if I can trust him the same way anymore.

Just as seriously as you were, when you got mad and wasn't answering his calls, and having second thoughts about "trusting him the same way anymore" <----your words!:look:

YUP!:lol:

I'm just glad the whole thing ended up blowing over.

FYI... the thread is all going to go downhill from here... LHCF loves to psychoanalyze the heck out of a situation. I'm just waiting for someone to imply that the OP's "trust issues" are just a symptom of the greater problem which is the lack of positive black role models in the black community. :yep:

Theo said:
I'm just glad the whole thing ended up blowing over.

FYI... the thread is all going to go downhill from here... LHCF loves to psychoanalyze the heck out of a situation. I'm just waiting for someone to imply that the OP's "trust issues" are just a symptom of the greater problem which is the lack of positive black role models in the black community. :yep:

Lol! So true but that's why we love this place :)

I would dump his lying behind you lie about little stuff you lie about big stuff he asks why text him and say we're breaking up because you're a liar then he'll know

I don't know if this means I'm a dirty liar but I would basically react the same way he did; well, I read the OP yesterday so I would react the same way he did, unless I'm forgetting something super shady. It would never occur to me to tell an SO who was texting me--even if asked--because that's not my fault :look: and it would just bother them, probably.

^Im amused she expected him to say "my ex"..so then they can start some lame fight of "why is she still texting you blah blah"..men dont like drama!

I would have put OP on a time out for that ish.

Oh well at least you know what he is capable of. You probably wish you hadn't played that lil game but he isn't trying to get with his ex so let it go.

sigh. this is usually what i do to catch a cheater. why did you disguise your act as a prank? u know what u were looking for boo. said with e-love of course.

I don't know.....I believe everyone has problems in a relationship, but I've never lied to him so he's never been mad at me for that.

Sorry, but you actually did. Texting him pretending to be his ex is lying...

ETA: I'm glad that it worked out for you...

Last edited:
Back