Prank gone wrong

YasashiiSekai

So...I found out i can text with my ipod when i installed an app that allowed me to do so.

The only thing is they give you a new number....but I was just happy to get free text. :grin:

Anyways, I know it's wrong, but I decided to prank my boyfriend.

I pretended to be an ex that changed numbers.
I was thinking he would just probably shrug me off and then I would reveal that it was actually me.

Well, he never shrugged me off. :perplexed

He actually responded for a while.

After some small talk as his ex, I asked him if "we" could hang out sometime.

He didn't respond.

So, I got on the phone with him and while we were talking I sent him a text from "her" so he would really think it wasn't me.

I heard his message alert go off while we were talking.

I asked him who it was.

He lied.

He told me it was his co worker asking him about something. He doesn't usually lie, so it took him a minute to think of something, but I let him struggle with his words.

I'm not sure if I should be angry or not.

I mean, I know I shouldn't have been playing with him, but I had no idea he would lie.

He likes the attention and hasn't done anything 'wrong' so he probably doesn't wanna make you mad.

If he agrees to meet 'her' you guys are gonna end up breaking up probably.

Eta: Try to stay calm. Put yourself in his shoes. People love attention....so it's hard not to indulge a text or two. If he agrees to meet her, that's different. This is bad, but try to imagine yourself in his shoes with an ex your not particularly mad at.

Last edited:
When you dig in the ground you're bound to hit dirt OP. You tested your man and he failed big time.

He hasn't really done anything to confront him about yet. I know your feelings are a little hurt but you should drop it.

I'm glad he did not reply to the hanging out thing.

Well...the only reason why I did it is because I would have never thought this would happen.
He says he hates his ex, so I trusted him enough to think it would just be funny to see what mean things he would say to her.

i am a pretty jealous type in relationships, so i would not do anything like this that had the potential to backfire on me. i would not go looking for trouble because i know if i found it i wouldnt handle it well.

sounds like this is what happened to you. unless he agrees to try to meet up with the "ex" if i were you i would let sleeping dogs lie.

Well...the only reason why I did it is because I would have never thought this would happen.
He says he hates his ex, so I trusted him enough to think it would just be funny to see what mean things he would say to her.

Did he ever think that you were his ex or could it have been someone else? Did you ever say that you were? IDK, random texts can be random, unless otherwise specified.

i am a pretty jealous type in relationships, so i would not do anything like this that had the potential to backfire on me. i would not go looking for trouble because i know if i found it i wouldnt handle it well.

sounds like this is what happened to you. unless he agrees to try to meet up with the "ex" if i were you i would let sleeping dogs lie.

Yeah, I'm the jealous type too, but I think I'd rather know now if he would actually go for it or not.
I don't want to marry him and then one day find out he's been doing things for real.
If he's willing to do things now, then if we were married I'm pretty sure he would actually do things later.

Last edited:
Did he ever think that you were his ex or could it have been someone else? Did you ever say that you were? IDK, random texts can be random, unless otherwise specified.

He just now texted me that he got a text from someone and thought it was an old friend (female friend that he used to crush on), but that he ignored her (but he really didn't until a certain point).

I'm not sure if he's lying or not about him thinking it was her...grrr.

He just now texted me that he got a text from someone and thought it was an old friend (female friend that he used to crush on), but that he ignored her (but he really didn't until a certain point).

I'm not sure if he's lying or not about him thinking it was her...grrr.

Has anyone ever texted you that you knew, but when they ask to hang out ignore them? He shouldnt have lied, but maybe he just didnt want to start anything. I know ive done that, where mentioning something that isnt important but has that name, could lead to pointless bickering and banter.

Anyways, idk how you can ask him without revealing it, other than keep trying to text him, maybe see if he wants to do anything. It just sounds like its going nowhere fast. :perplexed

OP, you said he doesn't lie. Maybe he does lie, but you just don't know.

I would be angry about him lying when that text went off, saying that it was someone else.

OP, you said he doesn't lie. Maybe he does lie, but you just don't know.

I would be angry about him lying when that text went off, saying that it was someone else.

Thats what I'm thinking....
I keep replaying all the times he gets random texts while we're talking and him saying its a co worker....
I don't know what to believe anymore.

Has anyone ever texted you that you knew, but when they ask to hang out ignore them? He shouldnt have lied, but maybe he just didnt want to start anything. I know ive done that, where mentioning something that isnt important but has that name, could lead to pointless bickering and banter.

Anyways, idk how you can ask him without revealing it, other than keep trying to text him, maybe see if he wants to do anything. It just sounds like its going nowhere fast. :perplexed

actually just last night i was with my bf and someone started texting me from an unknown number. turned out to be some dude i know from many many years ago asking me to hang out. i told him i had plans but we should catch up sometime. i dont know whether i plan to keep/make those plans and if i did i am absolutely not interested in hooking up with him. also, my bf was sitting right there and i told him it was some guy wanting to hang out with me. he didnt care.

actually just last night i was with my bf and someone started texting me from an unknown number. turned out to be some dude i know from many many years ago asking me to hang out. i told him i had plans but we should catch up sometime. i dont know whether i plan to keep/make those plans and if i did i am absolutely not interested in hooking up with him. also, my bf was sitting right there and i told him it was some guy wanting to hang out with me. he didnt care.

Now replace some guy, with a dude your guy might have a problem with, would you keep texting him even though you know it would bother him or would you just ignore it? Context is important

Well at least you told him. Thats good.
I get random texts from people I used to talk to sometimes, but I just ignore them but I always tell him that I got a text....I just think its right for him to know...I guess just to let him know that nothing is going on.

I don't really want to talk to him now, but he doesn't know why.

He's been calling me and he just left a message telling the truth that he lied and whatnot...

I'm just gonna tell him it was me and talk about it.
I still don't know if I can trust him the same way anymore.

I don't get how you don't see the wrong in what you have done. You lied to your BF by pretending to be someone else. If he responded the way you wanted, it would be all good, you would confess what you have done. Since he didn't now you don't want to talk to him.

So it is wrong that he lied but ok for you test him with a lie???? Two wrongs don't make a right. I do think you should clear the air quickly about this but listen to him but check your motives too.

I don't really want to talk to him now, but he doesn't know why.

He's been calling me and he just left a message telling the truth that he lied and whatnot...

I'm just gonna tell him it was me and talk about it.
I still don't know if I can trust him the same way anymore.

What will you do when he gets mad at you?

I don't know...it would seem to me that to do this you don't trust him.

I sure hope it was worth it......:nono:

Yeah actually it was. :yep:
I'm not the kind of person that likes to stay in the dark because I'm scared I might see something I don't like.
It is what it is, and I'm a big girl so I can take it.
It could've been worse, but I'm glad I got new information about him.

I don't get how you don't see the wrong in what you have done. You lied to your BF by pretending to be someone else. If he responded the way you wanted, it would be all good, you would confess what you have done. Since he didn't now you don't want to talk to him.

So it is wrong that he lied but ok for you test him with a lie???? Two wrongs don't make a right. I do think you should clear the air quickly about this but listen to him but check your motives too.

Geeee do you know what a prank is?

Sure, I wasn't honest, but what I did wasn't dirty.

Now that I think about it, it was kinda funny because I thought it would've been obvious that it was me....I was saying a lot of crazy (not nasty) stuff to him :lol:

Yeah actually it was. :yep:
I'm not the kind of person that likes to stay in the dark because I'm scared I might see something I don't like.
It is what it is, and I'm a big girl so I can take it.
It could've been worse, but I'm glad I got new information about him.

idk. i think it's one thing to look for a problem and end up creating one, and another to outright create the "problem" yourself. this is sort of like entrapment and to me it isn't quite the same thing as a natural temptation. (i can see the argument being made that there is no difference because he didn't know it was you, but like, i live in normative reality, not one where ifs and hypothetical scenarios are given the same weight as the things that actually do happen.)

i think that you are screwed because if you admit you did it then you look like the a-hole, which was why i suggested earlier maybe you'd do best to leave it alone. but it's looking like you now have an ACTUAL problem in your relationship over something silly and unnecessary.

it's one thing to ask questions and hear answers you maybe won't like, it's entirely different to create scenarios to put someone in a position that provokes a certain behavior. because when you do that, isn't it sort of like a self-fulfilling prophecy? i wouldn't punch my bf in the face just to see if he would punch me back and then say "oh so you're a woman beater" :lol:

so what you gone do now? his big sin was making a badly performed lie as to who was texting him, which he later admitted to without your prompting, if i understand the post correctly.

What you did was trifling.
He was wrong for lying, but probably didn't think to tell you the truth as maybe he doesn't intend to ever see her. But now you'll never know, unless you decide to keep going with it, to see if he will which is even more messy.
and I agree, you don't trust him, you think it was just a prank, but there's a an unconscious motivation for why you chose this particular scenario to prank him on.

meesch said:
idk. i think it's one thing to look for a problem and end up creating one, and another to outright create the "problem" yourself. this is sort of like entrapment and to me it isn't quite the same thing as a natural temptation. (i can see the argument being made that there is no difference because he didn't know it was you, but like, i live in normative reality, not one where ifs and hypothetical scenarios are given the same weight as the things that actually do happen.)

i think that you are screwed because if you admit you did it then you look like the a-hole, which was why i suggested earlier maybe you'd do best to leave it alone. but it's looking like you now have an ACTUAL problem in your relationship over something silly and unnecessary.

it's one thing to ask questions and hear answers you maybe won't like, it's entirely different to create scenarios to put someone in a position that provokes a certain behavior. because when you do that, isn't it sort of like a self-fulfilling prophecy? i wouldn't punch my bf in the face just to see if he would punch me back and then say "oh so you're a woman beater" :lol:

so what you gone do now? his big sin was making a badly performed lie as to who was texting him, which he later admitted to without your prompting, if i understand the post correctly.

Well I told him the truth and he laughed. He said he knew it was weird because the things i was saying didn't even sound like her.

danibeeja_gyal said:
What you did was trifling.
He was wrong for lying, but probably didn't think to tell you the truth as maybe he doesn't intend to ever see her. But now you'll never know, unless you decide to keep going with it, to see if he will which is even more messy.
and I agree, you don't trust him, you think it was just a prank, but there's a an unconscious motivation for why you chose this particular scenario to prank him on.

I don't think it was trifling. Like i admitted before, it probably wasnt the best choice in pranks, but I was running out of ideas.... (definitely not the first time I've pranked him) Now if I was saying dirty things to him while pretending to be her then yes. Maybe to you, this isn't prank worthy, but considering the things i've said while texting, it was funny. The only part that wasnt funny is that he lied.

Back