***Online Dating Support Thread***

Hmmm, I don't consider what I do online dating, but I have been traveling to a lot of different cities and what I sometimes do is put an ad on craigslist under the "strictly platonic" section. I look for male friends as well as female friends in the area. Just to meet up at a bar and chat. I have not been having luck with that because I still get guys who want sex even though I am clear about that not being my deal in the ad. The women are better, I stress that I am looking for straight women, married or single, and I have met a few friends from that.

Oh, another thing, the men who I reject are flagging my posts, I think.

I deleted my account at blackpeoplemeet.com. It wasn't worth the time and money- thank goodness I only paid for one month. Glad that's over!

maybe something is wrong with me, because that would have cracked me up! i would have responded with some snark to test and see if this was his sense of humor, or to see if he was really just a jerk.

Nothing is wrong with you. I would've done the same thing. It made me :lachen:when I read it. To each his/her own though.

I'm still on POF and Match. I just moved to a new state so I've been getting a lot of messages lately. There's one guy that I've been conversing with for about 3.5 weeks that I'm really digging. I would've preferred to have met him by now but he's 2 hours away and it's the holiday season. If he hasn't suggested a firm first meeting by next week I'll have to let it go though. I can tell I'm starting to like him and I'm not interested in endless virtual flirting. The others are okay, but nothing that I'm excited about. One other one might have potential, so we'll see.

I was on the train going home and as I was getting off, I saw this guy who I was briefly chatting with on match ( and stopped returning his messages), getting into my train car. I pulled my hat down low and got off with the quickness. This city is too small!

I was on the train going home and as I was getting off, I saw this guy who I was briefly chatting with on match ( and stopped returning his messages), getting into my train car. I pulled my hat down low and got off with the quickness. This city is too small!

:blush: :burning: :couchfire: OMG. This city IS too small. I would have run too. That has never happened to me. I am soo lucky because it turned out that 3 of the overzealous gents from Mingle2 lived less than 10 blocks from my old apartment (yes they gave me their addresses! :nono:).

Him: Cute pics
Me: Thanks, yours are nice as well
Him: Well, why did I have to email you first?
Me::ohwell::nono::perplexed

Why is he hung up on that? Seems immature. :nono: Does he really need you to explain why you don't send out pics without getting an email or some indication of interest?? :look:

Why is he hung up on that? Seems immature. :nono: Does he really need you to explain why you don't send out pics without getting an email or some indication of interest?? :look:

Im on POF so my pics are already shown..I guess he saw where I viewed his profile/clicked on his pics and didnt leave him a message..so I guess he he felt like he had to respond to that. I was kinda irritated until I went back to his profile and saw the phrase "im kinda cheap" and the answer to "do you have car" (no)...then I smiled

Im on POF so my pics are already shown..I guess he saw where I viewed his profile/clicked on his pics and didnt leave him a message..so I guess he he felt like he had to respond to that. I was kinda irritated until I went back to his profile and saw the phrase "im kinda cheap" and the answer to "do you have car" (no)...then I smiled

Lol @ the bolded. Well thanks for letting the ladies know what to expect, Senor Cheapo :lol:

wow LHCF has this thread going on.! ohh boy the stories ihave to share frm past onliine loves :lol:

ill post miine later. subscribing

Hi ladies,

I have been talking with a man online I gave him my number and he sent me a silly text message 'sup sunhun' so I ignored it and now he keeps sending me emails saying that I am messing about with him and he is an important man that can get any woman he wants lol

Next!

I am not getting emotionally attached to this insecure individual.

I'm not giving up on online dating either.

Last week this white guy on match.com emailed me. I checked out his profile and I was like, "Wow, he's really good looking!" He's 6'2 with blonde hair and blue eyes. So we sent each other several emails back and forth- very short emails, nothing long or detailed. So a couple days ago he was like, "Let's meet! You choose the time and place!" There are a lot of good coffee shops around my neighborhood, but I didn't feel comfortable with meeting him in my own neck of the woods. Sooooo I suggested McDonald's in another neighborhood in between were we both lived. I met him earlier this even and OMG- this guy is GORGEOUS. The only time I see white men that good looking is in magazines. But anyway, the meeting was short and we chit chatted before we went our separate ways. He's very nice, charming, and has a calming demeanor. WOW. Who knows if I"ll ever hear from him again, but it was fun and exciting meeting someone off of match.

Ladies-
For those of you who are initiating contact, what exactly are you saying to the men? Are you reading their profile and making a small talk based on what they leave in their profile, focusing more on their pictures, etc...
I have been initiating contact with some of the men and its been 50-50..I think that if I just wait to be contacted, it will be a long time coming...lotta women on POF, trying to stand out. I want to make it seem like Im genuinely interested in getting to know "him" and not just looking to "hit it":lachen:

Last edited:
im kinda scared to post anything about this one guy, becuz he could read it:look: not like hes a threat like that, but have you ever posted and been paranoid of the people your talking about reading it:lol::perplexed

heres some basics:

im suppose to act like I didnt care about him, but igrew emotionally attached:sad: even after 4 yrs im STILL not over him. we never "metmet" but we talked day &night on the phone.

im actually way more mature and less shy than iwas when we were talking and this is one of the reasons I know he broke it off..so unexpectedly >=(

Mariah Carey --> Mine Again.
(my theme song)
Sick in the Face --> Tyra B.
:sad:

I don't think I'm going to renew my membership at match.com. Everyone wants to text and email, but no one wants to meet. If meeting people on-line is as hard as meeting people in real life, then I might as well save my money.

Last week this white guy on match.com emailed me. I checked out his profile and I was like, "Wow, he's really good looking!" He's 6'2 with blonde hair and blue eyes. So we sent each other several emails back and forth- very short emails, nothing long or detailed. So a couple days ago he was like, "Let's meet! You choose the time and place!" There are a lot of good coffee shops around my neighborhood, but I didn't feel comfortable with meeting him in my own neck of the woods. Sooooo I suggested McDonald's in another neighborhood in between were we both lived. I met him earlier this even and OMG- this guy is GORGEOUS. The only time I see white men that good looking is in magazines. But anyway, the meeting was short and we chit chatted before we went our separate ways. He's very nice, charming, and has a calming demeanor. WOW. Who knows if I"ll ever hear from him again, but it was fun and exciting meeting someone off of match.

lol.. mcdonalds tho? *cant find an appropriate smiley*

I went out with a guy I met on OKCupid (first time meeting someone online). He messaged me and I didn't reply for a week. :lachen: We messaged back and forth for a while and he asked me out. We met for coffee, and we actually ordered the same thing. We chatted for about 1.5 hours before he got called in for work. He was very nice and very sweet, but not my type. Anyways, I felt the date was successful and if anything, I made a friend. :yep:

Anyone continuing online dating into the new year? I was so happy to end my eharmony sub/waste of money. My best friend is forcing me to give match a try.

i am. for NYE i went out on a date w. a guy i met on POF. he was really cute but too tall for my taste. 6'8. he drew too much attn and i dont like all that attn on me. he's cool and i can be myself around him but i think i'd just want to keep him as a friend. i like msg'ing him all day. it gives me someone interesting to talk to. he keeps asking me about another date and i keep beating around the bush. guys are very sensitive and idk what to say to him but still be able to keep him as a friend

ETA: I get a lot of responses from cL. I'm not interested in most of those guys but there are a lot of quality ones that write me too. unfortunately i keep getting flagged. i'm not sure why bc im not bashing anyone. i re wrote my last one and it stayed up for quite awhile, but this one (which is the same exact thing reposted) just keeps getting flagged. i tried twice already. i think cL should change it to where they review the ad first b4 they actually take it down. these little sensitive arse boys keep playin games on here tryin to flag every girl who's criteria they dont meet, or who rejects them. and in the end all that happens is theres hardly any female ads up anymore. boys are so stupid. they want women..but then they make it difficult for them to actually GET women riiiiight. that's a smart move. idiots.

Last edited:
I met someone IRL recently so I stopped checking my online msgs but last time I checked it was pretty full. I will say this again, if you want responses be funny/amusing! I have a joke profile with an obscured pic and get a lot of reponses. Not saying I'm getting any Rockefellers or Dwayne Johnsons but I figure the more the merrier and someone out the bunch has to be alright.

I told my best male friend about OKCupid and he finally made a profile. He was telling me it was garbage but met & started dating a woman off there and they are both very happy currently. It made me happy to know he brought in the New Year with someone he met off my site rec.

Are there particular sites that you guys recommend? Craigslist, Match, Eharmony, POF, OkCupid, etc.

I'm thinking about going IR in 2011. Seriously.

I met someone IRL recently so I stopped checking my online msgs but last time I checked it was pretty full. I will say this again, if you want responses be funny/amusing! I have a joke profile with an obscured pic and get a lot of reponses. Not saying I'm getting any Rockefellers or Dwayne Johnsons but I figure the more the merrier and someone out the bunch has to be alright.

I told my best male friend about OKCupid and he finally made a profile. He was telling me it was garbage but met & started dating a woman off there and they are both very happy currently. It made me happy to know he brought in the New Year with someone he met off my site rec.

That's a good idea! I was subscribed to Match.com and went out on a couple of dates. One guy looked like and reminded me of my cousin:perplexed and the other was boring.

OMG @ Craiglist! In my area, a guy had a nude picture posted.:nono:

:nono: What a moron. I'm sure that's the only way a woman would see him naked--involuntarily. :ohwell:

But don't knock craigslist alll the way down--I met my SO of the last 2 years through an ad he posted on craigslist. He wrote that he was looking for a long term relationship that would lead to marriage. If a guy's ad says what he's looking for (and it's what you want too :), is direct and well written, I say go for it no matter what site it's on, or what other fools have posted on said site. :twocents:

The funny thing is, I thought my SO's pics looked AWFUL. I mean the lighting was bad, he was leaning against a building like he was holding it up with his head, he had the same dumb pose in every pic. And he had a goatee that I thought looked dumb (lol I still think that, but he shaved it 3 months into our relationship with zero prompting from me, and has been clean ever since :giggle:). But I liked what he wrote and we emailed back and forth until he asked me out. Thank God he looked better in person. :lol:

How many pictures should you post on a profile?

My friend told me not to put too many up without makeup :perplexed

How many pictures should you post on a profile?

My friend told me not to put too many up without makeup :perplexed

I only put 1 pic. As long as it shows your full face and upper torso. I don't know why your friend said that. :perplexed I didn't have any makeup on in the pic, but I had REALLY good skin that day :lol: I'm not wearing any in my avatar either. If there's any foundation that isn't either too light or too dark and under $40 a bottle, I might actually wear some. :ohwell:

ETA: here's the one I put on my profiles

707102_3423.jpg

I only put 1 pic. As long as it shows your full face and upper torso. I don't know why your friend said that. :perplexed I didn't have any makeup on in the pic, but I had REALLY good skin that day :lol: I'm not wearing any in my avatar either. If there's any foundation that isn't either too light or too dark and under $40 a bottle, I might actually wear some. :ohwell:

ETA: here's the one I put on my profiles

707102_3423.jpg
I don't wear any foundation either!
She wears, (well rather cakes) makeup and says that her makeup face gets her more profile views.
Anywho, Thank you for answering!
You look great in your pics!:yep:

I don't wear any foundation either!
She wears, (well rather cakes) makeup and says that her makeup face gets her more profile views.
Anywho, Thank you for answering!
You look great in your pics!:yep:

If she thinks walking around with the whole bottle of foundation on her face works for her, then let her go on with her bad self :lol: But does she have a man though? :look: ...:giggle:

Aww thank you :blush3:

Im just waiting for e-harmony profile to end on the 29th. Waste of money i dont know which one is worse them or match.com. Im disappointed .......ah well it will happen but maybe not on-line.....

Back