***Online Dating Support Thread***

Also...how long do you wait before messaging guys back? I'm at my computer ALL the time but is that weird to msg back the same day?

Personally, I respond within a few hours. But I'm on a clock, and only have a few days left before I cancel. I don't think there's anything wrong with quick responses.

What do ya'll do with winks (regarding match.com). Am I supposed to message if I'm interested or something?

Personally, I respond within a few hours. But I'm on a clock, and only have a few days left before I cancel. I don't think there's anything wrong with quick responses.

What do ya'll do with winks (regarding match.com). Am I supposed to message if I'm interested or something?

I've been winking back to the ones I like and do nothing with the other winks. I noticed some of the winks are from people out of my search area (even out of state!) and a lot don't even meet my criteria for example some are smokers and I clearly indicated that I'm only interested in non-smokers.

I kind of agree, but I think as you get older the opportunities you have to meet people decrease, in terms of friends and relationships. I don't like meeting people in the club or randomly on the street, but it's all kind of the same thing. It's sort of annoying b/c once you are out of school the places you can meet new people decline significantly! Sigh.

Girl not really. Just got to think creatively! There's so many better places to meet men than the internet or bars. I don't know where to start. lol concerts festivals bookstores grocery library gym School or take different classes like dance, cooking, computer. traveling. sport games. through friends. house gatherings. weddings. singles parties. church. volunteering. wine tastings. meetup.com museums. happy hour. restaurants. beaches. amusement partks. malls. politcal/charity events. conventions. co ed sport leagues. other adult clubs. film festivals...

I've had an online profile for 3 years and have only got one "date" from it. So I may be biased, but I hate it. :lol:

Girl not really. Just got to think creatively! There's so many better places to meet men than the internet or bars. I don't know where to start. lol concerts festivals bookstores grocery library gym School or take different classes like dance, cooking, computer. traveling. sport games. through friends. house gatherings. weddings. singles parties. church. volunteering. wine tastings. meetup.com museums. happy hour. restaurants. beaches. amusement partks. malls. politcal/charity events. conventions. co ed sport leagues. other adult clubs. film festivals...

I've had an online profile for 3 years and have only got one "date" from it. So I may be biased, but I hate it. :lol:

LOL true...I mean for me I don't talk to strangers though...in the gym or wherever - it's all the same thing as the bar to me (I mean, not everyone is drunk at the bar!). I'm sorry I didn't elaborate (lol it was late), but when I mean bar I basically mean meeting someone that you don't know (ie, you don't have a mutual friend), and giving them your information. I don't online date either though, so I don't really how it is, but I can see why people would do it?

Wow ya'll I just had to post this excerpt from a profile I ran across today. This is from Blackpeoplemeet:

LADIES BEFORE YOU CONTINUE PLEASE I WANT YOU TO KNOW IM NOT ARROGANT OR ALL THAT-- JUST TIRED OF SETTLING LIKE YOU -- I LEARNED FROM MY SISTERS BE STRAIGHT UP PUT IT ALL OUT THERE UNLIKE A LOT OF MEN YOU WILL BE MEETING ON HERE LET HER DECIDE FROM THE START TO STAY OR KEEP IT MOVING NOT AFTER SHE GIVES YOU PART OF HER HEART I DON'T WANT IT DONE TO MY SISTERS SO I'M NOT DOING IT TO U

DON'T LIKE MY PROFILE STOP CONTACTING WITH YOUR ATTITUDE JUST KEEP IT MOVING I WON'T MISS YOU

1-NO PICTURE ILL JUST DELETE

2- IF YOU ARE SO AFRAID TO MEET ME THAT IT JUST HAS TO BE IN A PUBLIC PLACE THEN YOUR NOT FOR ME THE LADY FOR ME WON'T FEEL THAT WAY BECAUSE SHE TRUST HER FEELINGS AND THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN US IS RIGHT--DON'T MIND A PULIC PLACE AS LONG AS IT'S NOT BECAUSE YOUR AFRAID-- GUESS THIS WILL STOP A LOT OF YOU FROM CONTACTING ME SO BE IT NO LOVE LOST HERE LOL LOL

3- A LITTLE ADVICE FROM A MAN WE DONT GIVE A D--- ABOUT PICTURES OF YOU BACK IN THE DAY -DOGS-GRANDMA-ETC- WE JUST WANT TO SEE THE UP TO DATE PICTURES OF YOU F--K EXCUSE ME THATS THE WINE TALKING LOL

4- WHILE IM GOING TO BLAME IT ON THE AAALCOHOL STOP LYING ABOUT YOUR SIZE AVERAGE IS NOT FAT STOP SAYING YOUR AVERAGE WHEN YOUR NOT

5- SIZE 12 OR UNDER

I think this one may have some issues lol.:spinning:

Personally, I don't respond to winks and I do not send them. If I really like a guy I may join a group he is in or write a similar interest on my profile but I am not going to chase him. I think winks are lazy.

I do not contact men first either and wait at least 24 hours to respond to a message no matter how cute the guy is.

I have join okcupid too will see how it goes with this site and the other two that I have joined. I think its a luck of the draw when it comes to the type of men on free vs paid sites.

But no one ever approaches. I don't know.I do appreciate the ideas you gave, I'll save them. I'm going to step up my game but if things don't get better by May, I'm going to try online dating.
I've been single my entire life and I'm tired of it.

But no one ever approaches. I don't know.I do appreciate the ideas you gave, I'll save them. I'm going to step up my game but if things don't get better by May, I'm going to try online dating.
I've been single my entire life and I'm tired of it.

how old are you if you dont mind me asking.

i didnt get my first bf until i was 20

What service to you recommend Starfish? What about the rest of you ladies. I'm open to this idea.

I like match and eHarmony because those are the only sites I've used. I still meet men at various social events but look at online meeting as a way to increase the dating pool.

Honestly, once I decided to be open to love, really open, the dating venue hasn't mattered.

I joined Match and Eharmony. This response is from a guy on Match :/

STOP IT...............I see how your picture is looking at me,honey I'm just a man!!! looking into your warm and loving eyes makes a man want you all up in his heart,life,home,world and where ever he can have you..........stop being so sexy,you know how much power you have and your not playing right and if we can't fall in love and walk hand in hand,are there any more women like you who would want a tall,loving,down to earth,good cooking all to single,far to single,loving man,looking for his one and only.

I STAND WITH OPEN ARMS

(Keep standing dude. SMH.)

STOP IT...............I see how your picture is looking at me,honey I'm just a man!!! looking into your warm and loving eyes makes a man want you all up in his heart,life,home,world and where ever he can have you..........stop being so sexy,you know how much power you have and your not playing right and if we can't fall in love and walk hand in hand,are there any more women like you who would want a tall,loving,down to earth,good cooking all to single,far to single,loving man,looking for his one and only.

I STAND WITH OPEN ARMS

omg. could he be more obvious?? You know he copies and pastes that until some insecure woman tears up and replies with glee. There is nothing specific in that message that would even imply he read your profile. sad sad :nono:

omg. could he be more obvious?? You know he copies and pastes that until some insecure woman tears up and replies with glee. There is nothing specific in that message that would even imply he read your profile. sad sad :nono:

I was just about to say the same thing. You can tell many women have fallen for that paragraph, that is why he felt so bold to send it to you within a day of signing up. Don't even reply to him with a wink or anything. He's probably said the same thing to his cat. Gosh, do men actually think this works? SMH

I STAND WITH OPEN ARMS

DEAD!
pm me his user name, I wanna wink @him & see if he sends me that ish too lol

I STAND WITH OPEN ARMS

Stop, my sides are hurting, that is some funny stuff.

Just closed my OKCupid account. No one sparked my interest and it was striking how all the men that winked or messaged me were too cool and casual. One guy was downright disgusting...

I think it may be different for other sites, especially paid ones...but I just don't like the whole vibe of online dating. Good luck ladies.

Just closed my OKCupid account. No one sparked my interest and it was striking how all the men that winked or messaged me were too cool and casual. One guy was downright disgusting...

LOL! Some guys message me and they are really funny...but...I don't want to date them. I went out with a guy I met on there on Saturday though...he hasn't called me yet, he has until Thursday before he gets dropped, lol!

how old are you if you dont mind me asking.

i didnt get my first bf until i was 20
I'm 21. I think that it's pathetic that I've never had a boyfriend. I could make a guy so happy with just my loyalty alone. I don't want to wait anymore I'm wasting my best years. I'll never look , feel or be this young again.

I'm 21. I think that it's pathetic that I've never had a boyfriend. I could make a guy so happy with just my loyalty alone. I don't want to wait anymore I'm wasting my best years. I'll never look , feel or be this young again.

I didn't have a boyfriend until I was 22. I respect your point of view, and I know how you feel because I was like that once too. Now I'm 25 and I can tell you, it's not pathetic, it's a blessing. You don't have all the emotional baggage a woman your same age with a slew of exes has. No offense to anyone who has a long and colorful dating history. I'm not talking about you. :lol: I'm talking about my friends and family. There is nothing wrong with not dating around or even having a long term relationship by the age of 21. You said you're loyal, and I assume that means you want something meaningful and lasting. Not the type of relationship you are likely to find in that age group. It's rare that the boy you meet when you're both under 21 is going to have a lot of loyalty toward you in the long term. You have probably avoided a lot of heartbreak by not giving yourself emotionally to anyone yet. You have plenty of time, you will still be young for a while yet :yep:

I STAND WITH OPEN ARMS

It gets worse. This is the response to me not responding:

"NO. NOT EVEN A THANK YOU FOR THE NICE WORDS,HOW I HATE THIS CITY,BUT THAT'S HOW YOU BLACK WOMEN ARE HERE,HAVE A GOOD ONE"

"NO. NOT EVEN A THANK YOU FOR THE NICE WORDS,HOW I HATE THIS CITY,BUT THAT'S HOW YOU BLACK WOMEN ARE HERE,HAVE A GOOD ONE"

W T H?? Okay, that's why I respond with a 'no thank you' and then block the man, you can't control how other people may act. What a fool! What city?? That's not even relevant, I am astounded at the foolishness! :nono: He can't be real. Wooo we are going to die out if there are too many like this out there. Lord, even if you were fool enough to think he was referring to you in that first message, all he goes on about is looks. It's a perfectly fair response to say 'but all you talked about was how pretty I am, that's nice but a relationship needs a bit more' :rolleyes: I wish you had blocked him the second you realized he was not the one. Live and learn. :ohwell:

This is from a paying site? Wow. I thought paying sites weeded out these kinds of men. :nono: And he probably copies and pastes this message to all the black women who ignore him too. :lol:

I had my third outing/second date with a guy I met on OKC tonight. He contacted me months ago, exchanged quite a few emails, then we fell out of contact. He found me again when I reactivated my profile. So far so good. I'm warming up to him a little more each time. We actually have a lot in common. There are fewer silences and a lot more laughter than there were a few weeks ago. He looks great on paper and has been pretty much on point so far. So we shall see about the practical stuff.

Only thing that's kinda "odd" he has my number but chooses to communicates with me through OKC messaging and now email (he asked for my email addy this week). A little fishy, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Not my first time at the online rodeo. My mom thinks I'm being too suspicious...if she only knew.

I'm still doing some light messaging with a few others. But nothing I'd really consider has come up.

I had my third outing/second date with a guy I met on OKC tonight. He contacted me months ago, exchanged quite a few emails, then we fell out of contact. He found me again when I reactivated my profile. So far so good. I'm warming up to him a little more each time. We actually have a lot in common. There are fewer silences and a lot more laughter than there were a few weeks ago. He looks great on paper and has been pretty much on point so far. So we shall see about the practical stuff.

Only thing that's kinda "odd" he has my number but chooses to communicates with me through OKC messaging and now email (he asked for my email addy this week). A little fishy, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Not my first time at the online rodeo. My mom thinks I'm being too suspicious...if she only knew.

I'm still doing some light messaging with a few others. But nothing I'd really consider has come up.

Okay that is weird. Never had a guy do THAT before. I mean, I am trying to think of an innocent reason why a man might prefer to email a woman he has been on dates with already, and I can't. :perplexed

So is anyone willing to share how they worded their profile?

You know the strange thing is that, I had a very long 4 paragraph profile that listed my favorite music and what type of guy I liked, my favorite activities and hobbies and blah blah blah, but although I got a lot of, "HEY I LOVE YOUR PROFILE!!" I didn't meet anyone I had chemistry with. Then it dawned on me, all that stuff is nice to know but it's too much and it's been several years of many emails, virtual winks, flirts, flowers, hugs, and offers of a cup of coffee; still nothing. Perhaps all that was just boring.

Then I simplified it to 2 small paragraphs. After 3 years on that website and no significant hits I decided to delete it all and change it completely and WHAM! I met someone shortly after, he actually asked me if I changed my profile. Which let me know that he had seen it but never showed an interest. Was it the profile?

At the beginning of the year, I also gave myself and the website an ultimatum, either find someone of promise by December or end your membership and move on. LOL I love the website and that was extreme for me, because I loved chatting in the chat room with those funny characters. I think having a goal plan really helps. You have to set limits for yourself or you will be floating around on dating websites making friends and flirting instead of finding potential mates. Which leads to frustration. But you will have disappointments regardless. It may take time to meet the right person.

Online dating is like being a kid in the candy store, so many delectable treats to choose from. I spent so much time looking for the good looking guy in the photo that I could never really connect on a deeper level. If I went by the photo alone of the guy I’m with now, he and I would never have had a chance. He chose the worst photo of himself and he looks nothing like that in person. Once I made that connection with someone I pursued it, even when I had doubts. Never lose site of why you are there, what's the end game? keep your profile short, sweet and sincere. Don't tell too much of yourself in your profile, let the guy pursue you because he wants to get to know who you are. Don't rush take your time and get to know them. Ask questions too, test his patience sometimes.

Last edited:
It's cheaper.

:look: This is a personal preference, but I don't know if I'm comfortable dating a guy that can't afford to call me, or is so frugal he would rather email me than do so. (if he's grown/not in school/has a job etc). Repeatedly. That kind of behavior is still out of the realm of 'innocent' to me, because it reeks of an issue any woman who hopes to have a relationship with him would have to eventually deal with. Being frugal is one thing, but cheapness on that level would drive me insane. :nono: But of course, to each their own. :ohwell:

Back