***Online Dating Support Thread***

He's lucky I'm trying to be a better person. It's taking every bone in my body for me to not reply "Go sit your short arse down somewhere". My profile clearly states that I don't date men shorter than 5'11" and his 5'4 arse messages me. GFTOH lil' man.

So I'm new to this online dating community.

But If i opted to let someone know i was checking out their profile and then the same guy chose to let me know he checked out mine, but didn't send a msg....Is the ball in my court or do you think its some kind of power play, he's not really interested but if i hit back, he will respond??

So I'm new to this online dating community.

But If i opted to let someone know i was checking out their profile and then the same guy chose to let me know he checked out mine, but didn't send a msg....Is the ball in my court or do you think its some kind of power play, he's not really interested but if i hit back, he will respond??

I'm not sure what you mean by "let someone know i was checking out their profile". What website are you talking about? On POF and OkCupid, they make it so that you see anyone who was viewing your profile. It could be that they saw you looking at their profile and wanted to see what you looked like. I need more information to give you a decent answer. :yep:

thanks on okcupid, so i "favourited" some guys but just to bookmark, I had the option to allow them to know i saved them. I assumed my profile was viewed for that reason. Not because I checked out his profile. ok thanks

Also its PMs not IMs. i meant whats a nice way of saying no thank u. After someone has left a PM.

thanks on okcupid, so i "favourited" some guys but just to bookmark, I had the option to allow them to know i saved them. I assumed my profile was viewed for that reason. Not because I checked out his profile. ok thanks

Also its PMs not IMs. i meant whats a nice way of saying no thank u. After someone has left a PM.

I usually just ignore the guys I'm not interested in by not writing back. It's drama free. When you reply back to them and say you're not interested, they start getting bold and passive aggressive.

I usually just ignore the guys I'm not interested in by not writing back. It's drama free. When you reply back to them and say you're not interested, they start getting bold and passive aggressive.[/QUOTE]

This is the MAIN reason why I don't respond if I'm not interested.

ok. so i went on the date. annnnnnd :perplexed the guy didnt look nearly as hot in person as he did on his pic. you would think the guy in the pic was his hot younger brother or something. idk what he did to get himself lookin like he did in the pic he sent me buuuut.. :nono: that was not him.

i was so disappointed but something told me this would be the case. so anyway, he kept pressing me about whether or not i had a bf again. and i am SOOO glad i remained ambiguous about that bc i was able to say "well there is this guy that i've been dating for awhile. we're kind of on and off but we're still talking." tho it seems he's not taking the hint on this one and has decided to pursue me anyway, even though i blatantly said me and him were just friends. and even tho i told him i was not done w. the guy im w. now and am not trying to get into something else. he said "thats ok, we can just take it slow." :perplexed oh well, he cant say he wasnt warned.

oh yea.. he is NOT 6ft! that really angered me. im 5'7 and he was just a little taller than i was. now i know most guys add a few inches but COME ON!!! that was a ridiculous exaggeration on his part. anyway that was that. luckily a friend of his wasn't feeling well and had to leave early and asked him to come along. he invited me to his place and i said NOOO way. i wouldnt mind staying his friend so we can discuss a few things like meditation and chakras and whatnot. but idt that will be possible seeing how he is making it clear he wants more.

anyway this is why i wanted to meet him right away. i didnt want to continue to talk with this guy, thinking he was more attractive than he really was. fall for an illusion, only to be sorely disappointed when i met him weeks down the line. smh. no sir. im glad we met when we did.

People always put their best foot forward when online dating and then you get dissapointed when you see them.

Does anyone webcam after moving to the next step before meeting? That would be a great way to see someone LIVE so you can try not to waste a date that way either.

Need help...I got a message from someone that I am actually interested in responding to...but I am having writers block when trying to think of what to say back......it shouldn't be this difficult lol

here's the message:
Hey just passed by and thought you were really cute and wanted to get to know you better. So how's it going? Hope you're doing good ;) I'm Mxxxx by the way

I was going to say something like:

Hi MXXXX, I'm doing well :), how about you? .....that's all i got lol

well :grin: I had a date tonight with a man, an older one, 17 years older :look:, than me and it went very well! :)
He doesn't look 38 at all! He looks more like 30/32 and he keeps himself up in GREAT shape, also very easy to talk to. I was apprehensive at first because I thought he was going to be a midget but he's my height, which is 5'9" and I didn't feel awkward walking beside him at all.
We went to a Thai restaurant, mid priced. When we were leaving however I had problems getting out of the deck and he actually checked on me to see if I got out and when I told him I was having problems, he came up to where I was, went to ask for help, and when he couldn't get it, stayed with me until someone who lived there let me out. I was very impressed with him and he called to check to see if I got home ok. Did I mention that we have chemistry?
I met him on Plentyoffish.

Need help...I got a message from someone that I am actually interested in responding to...but I am having writers block when trying to think of what to say back......it shouldn't be this difficult lol

here's the message:
Hey just passed by and thought you were really cute and wanted to get to know you better. So how's it going? Hope you're doing good ;) I'm Mxxxx by the way

I was going to say something like:

Hi MXXXX, I'm doing well :), how about you? .....that's all i got lol

I know I sound so nitpicky, but I usually don't respond to those "how are you? can i get to know you?" Especially, since they are usually followed by "so tell me about yourself." Kneegrow, didn't you read my profile? :look: Instead of sending me a copy and paste message you send to every girl, why not comment on something you read on my profile that shows you are interested/will lead to better conversation instead of the dead end how are you? How is someone supposed to respond to that?

One time I was being a smart ***... one dude sent me a message, "how r u?" I said, I'm fine. And left it at that. He never replied back. :lol:

I find that if a guy is really interested in you, he will at least show some kind of proof that he read/skimmed some part of your page.

.....i kinda wanna see pics :look:

lol. i kno you do. i wish i could post them but.. that would be so messed up. lol. he's a good guy. just not anyone i would want to date.

People always put their best foot forward when online dating and then you get disappointed when you see them.

Does anyone webcam after moving to the next step before meeting? That would be a great way to see someone LIVE so you can try not to waste a date that way either.

yea.. i think it's one thing to put your best foot forward and its another to blatantly lie and have the person that you are courting be severely disappointed in who/what you really are. in cases like those no one wins.

I know I sound so nitpicky, but I usually don't respond to those "how are you? can i get to know you?" Especially, since they are usually followed by "so tell me about yourself." Kneegrow, didn't you read my profile? :look: Instead of sending me a copy and paste message you send to every girl, why not comment on something you read on my profile that shows you are interested/will lead to better conversation instead of the dead end how are you? How is someone supposed to respond to that?

One time I was being a smart ***... one dude sent me a message, "how r u?" I said, I'm fine. And left it at that. He never replied back. :lol:

I find that if a guy is really interested in you, he will at least show some kind of proof that he read/skimmed some part of your page.

I was actually thinking that about the message, but I am new to OKcupid so I wasn't sure if this was the standard :ohwell:...I guess not :lol:

I've gotten 5 messages so far and they're all pretty much like that one...none of them seem to really comment on anything in my profile besides the pictures...

Last edited:

really? I don't think anything of it at all. I just had a great date tonight with a guy that sent me a message saying just Hi, how are you? I didn't think it was that serious.

runwaydream I ask this in the most sincere way why is your ideal guy physically? I'm just curious as what your seeking out there.I always find it interesting to see what traits and characteristics are most highly sought after.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking that about the message, but I am new to OKcupid so I wasn't sure if this was the standard :ohwell:...I guess not :lol:

I've gotten 5 messages so far and they're all pretty much like that one...none of them seem to really comment on anything in my profile besides the pictures...

I respond to hi how are you messages if the guy is cute :look: :lol: but probably not if I check his profile and have reason to suspect he's an idiot. If I can tell from his profile he's a cool, smart dude I don't mind if the message doesn't say much. But if the message is empty and his profile is just as empty and generic, I probably wouldn't reply. However, guys usually do comment on something on my profile (then again I tend to have weird and unusual things on mine that are easy to comment on :lol:)

I respond to hi how are you messages if the guy is cute :look: :lol: but probably not if I check his profile and have reason to suspect he's an idiot. If I can tell from his profile he's a cool, smart dude I don't mind if the message doesn't say much. But if the message is empty and his profile is just as empty and generic, I probably wouldn't reply. However, guys usually do comment on something on my profile (then again I tend to have weird and unusual things on mine that are easy to comment on :lol:)
lol

He's not my usual type...but he is cute, which is why I was going to give him a shot...and he seems smart as well...lol

I tried to make my page interesting (I read this thread before I joined and saw it was mentioned), but it's probably bland lolll :look:

I guess I'll give him a shot *message sent*

@runawaydream I ask this in the most sincere way why is your ideal guy physically? I'm just curious as what your seeking out there.I always find it interesting to see what traits and characteristics are most highly sought after.

what is my ideal guy physically?

athletic, lean/muscular/thin but def not bulky, 6ft+ tho my ideal is 6'2-6'6, nice skin, nice teeth, i like long hair on guys but that's not a necessity tho i cant STAND bald heads, minimal facial hair, nice bone structure, broad chest and broad shoulders, exotic looking (i was a rapper in a past life) and i think that's about it as far as physical goes. and i mean of course i have to be attracted to him.

funny, I just got a message and the guy actually commented on something from my profile...too bad he's not that cute....:(

really now that i think about it i dont really care too much what the message says. if i go to his profile and im not interested, i probably wont reply. if he sent a dumb message but his profile interests me i am just glad that he contacted me.

this a-hole has been to my profile 3 times in one night either message me or gtfo. i say clear as day im not going to send the first message.

(im soooooooooooooooooooooo hungry right now omg so cranky :lol:)

but i hate when dudes come to my page all the time and NEVER message! sometimes if ive seen them like, REPEATEDLY, like upwards of five times on my visitors list i will go ahead and message them just because HI, I SEE YOU, A-HOLE and they don't reply back! wtf is that ugh i love the hide user feature on okc.

lol^^^^

I keep getting emails about being rated by someone...how do i see these on the page because my email doesn't show photos...

really? I don't think anything of it at all. I just had a great date tonight with a guy that sent me a message saying just Hi, how are you? I didn't think it was that serious.

Different strokes for different folks. lol I only reply back to the how are you messages if the guy is cute and the message wasn't something like "how is you?" or "how R u?" :look: But nothing usually progresses from the how are you guys in my experience.

this a-hole has been to my profile 3 times in one night either message me or gtfo. i say clear as day im not going to send the first message.

(im soooooooooooooooooooooo hungry right now omg so cranky :lol:)

but i hate when dudes come to my page all the time and NEVER message! sometimes if ive seen them like, REPEATEDLY, like upwards of five times on my visitors list i will go ahead and message them just because HI, I SEE YOU, A-HOLE and they don't reply back! wtf is that ugh i love the hide user feature on okc.

Lol, same, I have about 5-6 members in my fanclub that visit my page like every other week for the past 2-4 months and haven't sent a message yet. :perplexed This one dude visited my page for like 5 months and finally sent me a message that said: "how are you?" Now you know .... :lol: (I was like you been to my page how many times, and that's all you got?) I ignored him and he's still visiting my page.

how about i reactivated my okcupid profile just so that i could become active enough to get the same mod email that mischka received.... i so want to be able to lower the hammer on some of these profiles....

i swear that site is for all of the alternative and non-black folks in my area..... i've never met anyone that i'd seriously consider on there.....

Back