***Online Dating Support Thread***

signed up for plenty of fish last night and so far its been eh a bit promising, I messaged two guys and am waiting to see if they reply, and only one guy messaged me that i'm kinda interested in. we'll see.

What's everyone's weekly viewing average on okc?

Mine plummeted recently and no matter what I do, I can't get above 60. My messages tapered off too, but I figure they can't message you if they're not seeing you.

What's everyone's weekly viewing average on okc?

Mine plummeted recently and no matter what I do, I can't get above 60. My messages tapered off too, but I figure they can't message you if they're not seeing you.

Well, you're doing something right. That's way more than mine, but I noticed my weekly viewing used to be higher also. I never really got messages in the first place, so I can't comment on that change.

if im active on the site my weekly views are between 100 and 120. if im only logging in from time to time its between sixty and ninety. when im not really on, like once a week or less, i get down to 20 and 30.

theres a good shot that when you update your profile or answer a question they put you on the homepage and youll get a bunch of hits that way, so you have to be a little active on the site to get your profile more views.

Ok, I'm curious...

Do you let the man take the "lead" while online meaning you wait for him to ask for your number, sugguest first date, etc....

Or are more bold/forward online than nromally in person?

We had a decent conversation yesterday. The one thing I don't like about online dating is when you find someone you like and they live in a different state or hours away from you :ohwell:

Ok, I'm curious...

Do you let the man take the "lead" while online meaning you wait for him to ask for your number, sugguest first date, etc....

Or are more bold/forward online than nromally in person?

I'm pretty new to all this...I've given my number out 2 times, once after I was asked on a date and once before. The second time, we talked via text and he asked me out first. I'm probably a little less bold or about the same as I am in real life. I give my number out more often than not IRL...I guess when I am asked for a # IRL, those guys have no chance.

I'm pretty much bored with this already.
One guy sent me a pic of his *** and bball shorts hanging low after we just had a convo about guys our age only wanting sex. smh
And none of the guys I message reply, lol, wtf is up with that?? lmao grrrr rejection.
Maybe my about me section is a bit off putting?

My about me:
I'm currently in my last year of undergrad thank God lol and am interning at a non-profit. I plan to go very far in life and would like to meet someone already there or on his way there as well, however I am aware that "there" is different for everyone, so I will be the judge of that ;). When I take an objective look at my life right now it is brimming with so many possibilities that I just have to smile. Hopefully you will be one of those possibilities and we can explore all that life has to offer together.

I am open to men of any age up the age of 35 and don't be afraid to drop me a line, I'm not unnecessarily mean and extra.I'm looking for someone I can be totally devoted and commit myself to and someone who will be the same for me. Are you him?

Someone edit for me please.

I'm pretty new to all this...I've given my number out 2 times, once after I was asked on a date and once before. The second time, we talked via text and he asked me out first. I'm probably a little less bold or about the same as I am in real life. I give my number out more often than not IRL...I guess when I am asked for a # IRL, those guys have no chance.

Hey Manter26,

I'm pretty new to this online dating thing, too but I'm the complete opposite. I've given my number out in real life with no hesitations but online.....I want a full background check before I even tell you my first name. LOL

I'm feeling this guy and although we email each other often, I'm still "waiting" for him to ask for my number. IRL, I guess he could tell that I'm flirting better.

My about me:
I'm currently in my last year of undergrad thank God lol and am interning at a non-profit. I plan to go very far in life and would like to meet someone already there or on his way there as well, however I am aware that "there" is different for everyone, so I will be the judge of that ;).

sounds judgmental and may rub some guys the wrong way, particularly those who have an over-sensitive "gold digger" radar

When I take an objective look at my life right now it is brimming with so many possibilities that I just have to smile. Hopefully you will be one of those possibilities and we can explore all that life has to offer together.

sounds a little cheesy

I am open to men of any age up the age of 35 and don't be afraid to drop me a line, I'm not unnecessarily mean and extra.

i would leave that out you would think that would go without saying... also too easily recalls stereotypes which is problematic if you are interested in dating non-black men
I'm looking for someone I can be totally devoted and commit myself to and someone who will be the same for me.

kinda intense might scare guys off

Are you him?

:look: a little extra?

I mean, overall, you dont really give off anything that hints about your personality? you dont say anything about yourself other than youre in college. i try to avoid making my about me section consist of what i DONT want in man because what does that really say at the end of the day? and i dont give much of a look at guys whose profiles dont say anything about themselves either, especially if its coupled with complaining or making demands about the types of responses they get, because they seem bitter and like they suck at dating.

My about me:
I'm currently in my last year of undergrad thank God lol and am interning at a non-profit. I plan to go very far in life and would like to meet someone already there or on his way there as well, however I am aware that "there" is different for everyone, so I will be the judge of that ;). When I take an objective look at my life right now it is brimming with so many possibilities that I just have to smile. Hopefully you will be one of those possibilities and we can explore all that life has to offer together.

I am open to men of any age up the age of 35 and don't be afraid to drop me a line, I'm not unnecessarily mean and extra.I'm looking for someone I can be totally devoted and commit myself to and someone who will be the same for me. Are you him?

Someone edit for me please.

I was told that guys don't read the profiles; they just look at the pictures and then decide to message or not..... :look:

But just in case... you seem to have a lot of run on sentences and some of your sentences are structured somewhat oddly. I would take out the I'm not mean or extra part (it's negative). You didn't really say anything about yourself other than you are in school, interning, and aren't mean. What are you interested in? Passions? Hobbies? What are your other personality traits?

How about this?

I'm currently in my last year of undergrad and interning at a non-profit. I like to dance and am very sociable, I have no problem striking up a conversation with a complete stranger. When I'm alone I like to research various topics a I love to learn new things and when I'm with others I like to learn about them, who they are, why they think what they think and do what they do, I give them my total attention.
I'm pretty upbeat most of the time always saying something crazy or cracking a joke. My friends and family describe me as very easy-going, responsible, hilarious, gives good advice and nurturing.

Feel free to say hey, I won't bite...........maybe.

i want a new okcupid page but i need new pics :sad: i need to hurry up and get perfect again because i havent really taken pics in years :sad:

I was told that guys don't read the profiles; they just look at the pictures and then decide to message or not..... :look:

But just in case... you seem to have a lot of run on sentences and some of your sentences are structured somewhat oddly. I would take out the I'm not mean or extra part (it's negative). You didn't really say anything about yourself other than you are in school, interning, and aren't mean. What are you interested in? Passions? Hobbies? What are your other personality traits?

Lol I'm quite secure in my looks I know they're not a problem, unless I'm not their type, but yea I realise I didn't really say anything about myself now.

How about this?

I'm currently in my last year of undergrad and interning at a non-profit. I like to dance and am very sociable, I have no problem striking up a conversation with a complete stranger. When I'm alone I like to research various topics a I love to learn new things and when I'm with others I like to learn about them, who they are, why they think what they think and do what they do, I give them my total attention.
I'm pretty upbeat most of the time always saying something crazy or cracking a joke. My friends and family describe me as very easy-going, responsible, hilarious, gives good advice and nurturing.

Feel free to say hey, I won't bite...........maybe.

this is better. i think in general its good to sound like a happy, fun loving person that guys would want to be around. you want to meet someone thats going to make your life better so you try to convey that when getting someone interested in you. so it ultimately ends up being a question of what kind of girlfriend you would want to be which dictates what kind of boyfriend you want to attract (i.e. nurturing as a component of the relationship).

of course, for me there is the problem of being too fun and interesting to be around where i end up being the "fun" girl instead of the "serious relationship" girl so for some of us (ie me) this is an issue we would do better to tread lightly on :look:

Hey Manter26,

I'm pretty new to this online dating thing, too but I'm the complete opposite. I've given my number out in real life with no hesitations but online.....I want a full background check before I even tell you my first name. LOL

I'm feeling this guy and although we email each other often, I'm still "waiting" for him to ask for my number. IRL, I guess he could tell that I'm flirting better.

What I meant by the bolded that you quoted is...If a man asks for my number IRL, he won't get it because I'm probably not attracted to or interested in him. If a man has my # IRL it's most like I sought him out and offered him my number.

I'm pretty weary to meeting people online. I use my nickname, no one knows even my full first name. I went almost 2 months talking to someone online before he finally asked me on a date. We didn't end up going, but the convo eventually got to what movies were out that we wanted to see, then we had a natural lead to setting up a date.

Try to bring up things you want to do lately and maybe he'll get the hint.

Lol I'm quite secure in my looks I know they're not a problem, unless I'm not their type, but yea I realise I didn't really say anything about myself now.

I know exactly. lol. That's why I always side eye when people hint that a lady must be hideous if she is having issues with online dating.

danibeeja_gyal the new one is much better content wise, but you still have tons of run on sentences. Finish a thought and put a period. I'll be back with a grammar edit...

Last edited:
Revised version:

I'm currently in my last year of undergrad and interning at a non-profit. I like to dance and am very sociable. I have no problem striking up a conversation with a complete stranger. When I'm alone I like to research various topics. I love to learn new things. When I'm with others, I like to learn about them, who they are, why they think what they think and do what they do. I give them my total attention.
I'm pretty upbeat most of the time, always saying something crazy or cracking a joke. My friends and family describe me as very easy-going, responsible, hilarious, gives good advice and nurturing.

Feel free to say "hey", I won't bite...........maybe.

- The "research various topics" seems vague and a bit awkward.
- The next bolded sentence is a bit odd. The punctuation seems correct, but there's just something about it I can't quite put my finger on.
- The last sentence needs revising. Items in a list have to have parallel structure. They should all share the same tense or part of speech.

I know it's nit-picking but poor grammar is a huge turn-off for most people.

Revised version:

I'm currently in my last year of undergrad and interning at a non-profit. I like to dance and am very sociable. I have no problem striking up a conversation with a complete stranger. When I'm alone I like to research various topics. I love to learn new things. When I'm with others, I like to learn about them, who they are, why they think what they think and do what they do. I give them my total attention.
I'm pretty upbeat most of the time, always saying something crazy or cracking a joke. My friends and family describe me as very easy-going, responsible, hilarious, gives good advice and nurturing.

Feel free to say "hey", I won't bite...........maybe.

- The "research various topics" seems vague and a bit awkward.
- The next bolded sentence is a bit odd. The punctuation seems correct, but there's just something about it I can't quite put my finger on.
- The last sentence needs revising. Items in a list have to have parallel structure. They should all share the same tense or part of speech.

I know it's nit-picking but poor grammar is a huge turn-off for most people.

No worries girl, it's turn off for me too! So thank you very much.

:lachen: I'm officially an exotical. this guy said I am more serious and focused than my american counterparts and I have an exotic, ethnic beauty...........:rolleyes:

This was my absolute favorite okcupid profile. It struck me so much that I had to go ahead and contact this guy first. We totally hit it off and were going to go out, until I got overexcited and came on way too strong :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

Brutally honest is the name of the game of this write up. I'd rather just tell you how sick and ****ed up of a person I am rather than beat around the bush and get your hopes up.

1. I'm incredibly narcissistic with a touch of shallow. Sure there is inner beauty and that's all important but if you don't have any outer beauty then I'm not really going to be interested. I'm only 26 and I have my pathetic needs and if you don't at least fulfill them physically then I don't really care how nice of a person you are, it's probably not going to work out in the end.

2. Despite my disgustingly shallow habits, if I don't think you're an interesting person then I don't really want anything to do with you because the hottest girl in the world is wasted with a dull personality. I don't care if you like the same **** that I do, I just want you to have some sort of drive in life that motivates you to explore. Exploration is key. The world is a big place, don't be content with settling on what little **** you already know. Girls who are open to trying new food, listening to new music or watching all sorts of movies are amazing.

3. Having my own kids scares me. If you already have kids and I'm talking to you it's just because I think you'll put out. That's actually a joke and I don't really think that. I don't know why I am even typing this at this point because you are going to think I'm a horrible monster, but really it's just a joke. I don't mind kids, I just don't want my own kids... for now. Maybe someday. I don't really think kids = putting out, it was a joke, calm down. Ok I really do think that. I'm just joking, stop.

4. I'm not writing all these wacky things to sound quirky because I know how everyone on internet websites loves to be quirky and ****. I'm just being honest with you. The funny part (to me) about this is that I probably wouldn't ever say any of this to you in real life because I'm too damn polite and unless I've been drinking and am on some sort of drunken tangent I wouldn't ever be this honest with you anyway. I don't play games but I'm generally too concerned about what people think of me to let them know all my intricate details.

5. I sorta consider myself a photographer. That means if you have ****ty low self esteem and hate having your picture taken that I will probably get annoyed that you never let me take your picture. I mean the least you can do for me is be a willing model. I don't mean take all your clothes off, I mean crack a smile or put on your emo-face and get some badass photos taken that people would normally charge you for. I make people look good for Christ's sake. P.S. Not a GWC.

6. If you think you are kinda crazy then that is kinda hot. If you think you are extremely crazy and will probably kill me while I'm sleeping then that is not hot. I'm kinda crazy. I think most humans are at least kinda crazy. If you don't consider yourself at least kinda crazy, you are probably absolutely bat**** ****ing insane.

7. I have a dog and his name is Chuck. If you hate dogs then **** you. Sorry.

8. I just swear because I don't have any tattoos or piercings and I'm trying to elevate my toughness.

9. Ok that's not true, I'm just ****ing with you.

10. I'll think of something witty to put here because you can't end a list on 9. Oh, wait, I got it- one of my ears is higher than the other. I better put it out here because I know it's a dealbreaker for most people.

This was my absolute favorite okcupid profile. It struck me so much that I had to go ahead and contact this guy first. We totally hit it off and were going to go out, until I got overexcited and came on way too strong :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

That sounds like a craigslist ad, lol. All that's missin' is the peen pic!!!:lachen::lachen:

im still mad about that one! i really liked that guy. boo.

eta: its much funnier/much less obnoxious when you can see his goofy pictures and that hes a totally average looking slightly nerdy guy

Last edited:
ho-ho... i have to say i havent been checking for black dudes lately but i just got a message from a cutie... anyone who is six three passes my discrimination boundaries :lol: :lick:

im still mad about that one! i really liked that guy. boo.

eta: its much funnier/much less obnoxious when you can see his goofy pictures and that hes a totally average looking slightly nerdy guy

what exactly did you do/say to turn him off so much? and did he tell you or did you just stop hearing from him?

what exactly did you do/say to turn him off so much? and did he tell you or did you just stop hearing from him?

well when we talked that first time we talked forever and he asked me out and is like well i guess ill favorite your page or you can im me? and i was like we should probably text because i find when you im a lot before meeting it kind of spoils things, so we exchanged numbers...

but then i was texting him too frequently, which is kind of the same thing as far as spoiling things :look:

then i went overboard about deciding what we should do on our date, instead of playing it cool...

then i mentioned to him that i was nervous about meeting.

so, with all that going on at once, probably within the same week or a few days, i just came on really, really strong. he was basically like, oh i have some other crap to do can we reschedule? and i knew that was the end of it and i would never hear from him again.

Back