Nov/Dec '08' Big Choppers/ *2009* Twa Grow Out*

I'm in. I bc'd December 8th, 2008 after a 9 month transition. I've been rocking twists under a 1/2 wig as a protective style for winter. It's spring now and I can't wait to start experimenting now that the weather is nicer. I've never even tried a wash and go, or a puff LOL. It was a looooong, cold and lazy winter. Anyhow, I cw once every 10 days, dc with steam, detangle and twist. Keeping it simple has paid off. Here are the pics from the day I chopped, progress is in my siggy. I don't really measure my hair (I think it's just over 6" now), I blow it out into a for every other month to see my progress.

Attachments

• chop2-vi.jpg
    chop2-vi.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 30
  • after5-vi.jpg
    after5-vi.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 30
  • after3-vi.jpg
    after3-vi.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 28
  • after3_5-vi.jpg
    after3_5-vi.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 35
  • c2-vi.jpg
    c2-vi.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 43
Ooohhh I'm joining this challenge. :grin: I'm about 4 1/2 inches and bc in Dec 5th 08. 4 months before that I had a texturizer because I had no idea how to deal with my dry, matted, tumble weed hair. :nono: Right now I'm combating breakage due to so many bandwagon styles I've jumped on but now it's all about the twists. I want to dc 2x a week but that means to twists just as much but we'll see how this regimen turns out first.

Last edited:
Ooohhh I'm joining this challenge. :grin: I'm about 4 1/2 inches and bc in Dec 5th 08. 4 months before that I had a texturizer because I had no idea how to deal with my dry, matted, tumble weed hair. :nono: Right now I'm combating breakage due to so many bandwagon styles bandwagon I've jumped on but not twisiting it up. The upkeep is a pain since I want to dc 2x a week but means I would have to twist my hair up more as well.
Not really, my brother is natural and has hair about my length. I twist his once every 2-3 weeks and he cowashes and dc's without a problem.

UPDATE***** 6 Months natural!

Starting Point:
Sep08062.jpg

6 months later:
apr2065.jpg

(mini twists)

Things I've done:

I have had 1 inch overall trimmed and the sides and front have been trimmed 2 inches (for styling purposes). my official measurements are 4.5 in the middle, 4 in the back and 3 inches on the sides and front.

I've also dyed my hair a light brown color, experimented with mini twists, comb coils, blow outs and curly fros. I'm loving my natural hair more and more as time goes on. :grin:

Forgot to add my regimen:
Monthly:
Clarify 2x with baking soda mix added to v05 moist conditioner
Rinse with Acv

Weekly:

Co wash with V05 moist strawberries and cream
Deep Condition with a moisturizing conditioner added in with something from the kitchen (evoo, honey, ect) sit under heating cap
Moisturizer with Qhemet alma and olive heavy cream, olive and honey balm then seal with oils or sheaaloe

Daily: Spritz with mix; water, glycerin, conditioner,oil
seal with oil

Protective Style:
twist
redo every week 1/2 or the ends will loc up

In my relaxer days my hair would grow like a week in braids when stretching so I'll just go for what I know. Stop jumpin on those style bandwagons. :nono:

Hey ladies...well I finally got some two strands w/extensions done on 4/21..and Im really gonna try to keep them in for a little while..normally i only keep my braids or twist for about 3 weeks so we will see....How is it going for the rest of you?...
045-1.jpg

Hey ladies...well I finally got some two strands w/extensions done on 4/21..and Im really gonna try to keep them in for a little while..normally i only keep my braids or twist for about 3 weeks so we will see....How is it going for the rest of you?...
045-1.jpg

Pretty pic! I'm enjoying my puff but I plan to get kinky twists very soon.

Not really, my brother is natural and has hair about my length. I twist his once every 2-3 weeks and he cowashes and dc's without a problem.

Really??? Please help me. If I could keep twist in for 2 weeks my hair will grow like a weed. :yep:
I workout 5x a week so after wash day Sunday I wait till Weds to co wash the sweat out. All I do is massage my scalp and rinse but afterwards my twist looks so beat up I have to re twist again. What am i doing wrong? :perplexed

045-1.jpg
Loving your hair!! :grin:

I BC'd :grin:a week ago.......I will join you ladies!!! I love my hair and look forward to seeing everyone's progress :drunk:

Attachments

• BC Day 7.jpg
    BC Day 7.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 23
hey ladies. i will be at the 5 inch mark by the end of June. and i hope by July/Aug i will have my six inches like i foretold. i am going to either twist my hair today or tomorrow. i was cowashing and wearing a fro, but i don't want to deal with knots like that anymore. i started with 0.5 to 1 inch of hair mid June 08. so i know i am on track with my progress. i get about the average growth. i don't have any growth spurts.

hey ladies. i will be at the 5 inch mark by the end of June. and i hope by July/Aug i will have my six inches like i foretold. i am going to either twist my hair today or tomorrow. i was cowashing and wearing a fro, but i don't want to deal with knots like that anymore. i started with 0.5 to 1 inch of hair mid June 08. so i know i am on track with my progress. i get about the average growth. i don't have any growth spurts.

good job!!! i i think i might be around the same length at the same time..I also had about 0.5 inch or maybe less when i bc'd on June 25. Right now im still in twist with extentions and will be until the middle of June hopefully. I think I grow average length also..I pray that i get at least an 1 1/2 inch of growth from my braids cause before i got them put in...i called myself "trimming my hair" and cut off a good bit :wallbash:....But my goal was to at least have around 6 inches by my nappiversary...so WE WILL SEE!!!!!!!!!!

I mentioned in the Random Hair Thoughts thread that I got a sew-in. Here are some pics of that and my puff a few days before. I'm at the 5 month mark.

Attachments

• DSCN0883.jpg
    DSCN0883.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0884.jpg
    DSCN0884.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0921.jpg
    DSCN0921.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0922.jpg
    DSCN0922.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 20
I took my kinky twists down last week. I gave roller-setting another try...the results were 'ehh'. at least I wore it that day at work and still wearing what's left of it today (last time I immediately rinsed it out). the problem comes when I 'comb' it out (using fingers only)... I'll update my fotki with the pics this afternoon. I don't have the camera cord with me at work....
other than that- its the same ole same ole. doesn't seem long enough to do any of the styles I would like to try and wash'n'gos are just kinda ehh because I don't have much curls.

I took my kinky twists down last week. I gave roller-setting another try...the results were 'ehh'. at least I wore it that day at work and still wearing what's left of it today (last time I immediately rinsed it out). the problem comes when I 'comb' it out (using fingers only)... I'll update my fotki with the pics this afternoon. I don't have the camera cord with me at work....
other than that- its the same ole same ole. doesn't seem long enough to do any of the styles I would like to try and wash'n'gos are just kinda ehh because I don't have much curls.

We are in the same spot with our hair:perplexed. I haven’t worn my hair out to work in over 2.5 months. I took my braids down last week and am happy with my growth but can’t find any styles that it would look decent with. I can’t see your Fotki @ work so I don’t know how long your hair is but I feel your pain! I did a BC last Sept but fell short and relaxed again on 1/1/09 so I’m transitioning again. Technically this thread isn’t for me but 75% of my hair looks natural (and actually may be natural!) with just a bit of relaxed ends hanging on. I have 4B mostly with some 3C in the back but most styles just look so-so on me right now. I’m hoping this winter (is it even summer yet?lol:spinning:) I’ll be able to do more with my hair.

I'm in!

What's twa? (I'm new....) By the way, is there a place where the acronyms used on this Forum is listed?

Thanks!

ok, i am hitting 5 inches now! yeah! i checked yesterday when i washed and dc'ed my hair. so i pray i get my 6 inches by Aug. i decided that i won't take any length pics until Dec. i have been wiggin it for a week now. i want to keep this up, so i got to get me a few more.

OOOOOO why am I just now seeing this thread I BCed 12/24/2008. My TWA has since then showed out!! I'm in love with the natural. At first it took some getting use to hence to non-prescription glasses but now you would be amazed at what a simple flower does!

The first pic is the day after the chop and the second one was taken last week.

Attachments

• user57063_pic16587_1244057824.jpg
    user57063_pic16587_1244057824.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 51
  • user57063_pic16585_1244057824.jpg
    user57063_pic16585_1244057824.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
OOOOOO why am I just now seeing this thread I BCed 12/24/2008. My TWA has since then showed out!! I'm in love with the natural. At first it took some getting use to hence to non-prescription glasses but now you would be amazed at what a simple flower does!

The first pic is the day after the chop and the second one was taken last week.

I b/c the beginning of Dec and don't have as much hair as you. It's beautiful!!! I'm still dealing with breakage unfortunately but can't wait to have a puff like yours.:)

Since I last posted I kept my word and kept twist or coils every week. It definently has paid off with comparing the before and after of hair on the floor but I'm still having breakage issues. Not sure if I should do a weekly protein treatment and 2x weekly moisturizing deep treatment? I can say my last hot oil treament was amazing!! My roots was sooo moisturized but I should of also concentrated on my ends more.

Does anyone know if I could do hot oil treatments weekly or does it have to be 1x monthly?

My last attempt wash n go had my curls poppin but the IC fantancia gel made my hair hard. I'm thinking of mixing it with oil next time. Other than that it was a nice change of pace.

I b/c the beginning of Dec and don't have as much hair as you. It's beautiful!!! I'm still dealing with breakage unfortunately but can't wait to have a puff like yours.:)

I really think my growth is due to my new regi----- Here it is-----

Less is more. I always concentrate on my scalp. I got one of those color applicator bottles mix my indian powders( excuse spelling Shakia, Brahmi, neem and alma powders)apply to scalp let sit for 30 mins then co wash. I currently co-wash every day with any cheap conditioner. I apply Sheamositure leave in and seal with Cocasta oil. Dc every week. I Love HairVeda(Vatika, Cocasta, Alma Rinse) Healthwise I take Activated Charcoal, chrophyll and drink water ( nothing special I don't think). Oh yeah before I forget BeeMine every day I love love love it. BEEMINE ROCKS:grin:

Less is more. I always concentrate on my scalp. I got one of those color applicator bottles mix my indian powders( excuse spelling Shakia, Brahmi, neem and alma powders)apply to scalp let sit for 30 mins then co wash. I currently co-wash every day with any cheap conditioner. I apply Sheamositure leave in and seal with Cocasta oil. Dc every week. I Love HairVeda(Vatika, Cocasta, Alma Rinse) Healthwise I take Activated Charcoal, chrophyll and drink water ( nothing special I don't think). Oh yeah before I forget BeeMine every day I love love love it. BEEMINE ROCKS:grin:

How many months did you transition before you did the BC in Dec? I'm loving your puff...that's some great growth!!

here are the pics of my meager attempt at rollersetting..i know I took long to actually add them to my fotki
front
jun_09003-vi.jpg

front 'finger combed'
jun_09006-vi.jpg

back (note the hair closer to nape didn't take because I sweated it out during my workout.
jun_09004-vi.jpg

back (finger combed- ehhh)
jun_09005-vi.jpg

Last edited:

I've heard so much about the indian powders but was trying to slow down my pjism and thought it was another bandwagon. Thanks to your pictures I might have to give it a try, after I'm finish with my other products. Still looking for my staples. :perplexed
Thanks so much for the info on your regimen. That really help me to put things in perspective.

its been a full 6 months since my BC (and a year since my last relaxer). wanted to show some comparison shots... and a 'length check' :grin:
1st pic is from Feb of this year (one month after BC)
middle 2 pics are of my 1st attempt yesterday to get my hair pressed...didn't like the end results so this morning I washed it out. but that's the length and also my ponytail!!!:lachen: I'm definitely on my way to achieving my goal for Jan (shoulder length-stretched)
third pic is my fro currently (took yesterday before got it straightened)

I also just updated my fotki.

Attachments

• feb.09.JPG
    feb.09.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 27
  • hairadventures.july09 007.jpg
    hairadventures.july09 007.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 20
  • hairadventures.july09 010.jpg
    hairadventures.july09 010.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 20
  • hairadventures.june09 002.jpg