Newbie Challenge 08 P2

I know I said I was going to wait until my Pibbs was here to update, but since I tried curlformers and was pleased with the results, I'm going to post the pics here as well...

Last edited:
OK y'all, so I reworked the braid out on dry hair:clapping:... 1st I used silicon mix leave-in then Nexxus Mousse Plus/alcohol free volumizing foam(I think it looks thicker :woot:)..I rolled the ends w/perm rods. The only thing is it looks a little dull...next time I am going to add a hair polisher serum for blingage:bling: or some coconut oil. I am going to keep tweaking :grin:.
1st pic on 3/5...the 2nd pic on 3/7
Ladies holla back if you have any suggestions!!!
braidout3-5-08b.jpg
braidout3-7Aa.jpg

I like it on the first day, but I really LIKEY!!! when you redid it. It doesn't look dry to me on the PIC, but I think you are on the right track with adding the hair polish if you think it looks a little dull.

You did a really good job!!!!

I know I said I was going to wait until my Pibbs was here to update, but since I tried curlformers and was pleased with the results, I'm going to post the pics here as well...

Very Nice curls!!!!!

I've been seeing that the curlforms are the newest rave on the board, where did you pick yours up, and did you find them difficult to use. I saw that some girls have been saying that they are kind of hard at first but then you get the hang of it.

Last edited:

I like your results.... I sooo wanna buy these but I have 2 wait until after I move and get back on top of my spending. My DH is not gonna let me handle the money anymore if he sees another hair product:nono:

your hair looks great!! I love these curlformers. I plan to get some before this weekend is over.

I got my Curlformers from Sallys. I was playing with them for a full 2 days on dry hair and it was easy. But today, I did have sort of a rough start. I learned that for me the trick was to twist the hair sorta tight and then pull the hook. Once I understood that, it was easy and didn't take no more than 45 minutes to finish. Taking them out was more difficult for me than to put them in. I was trying to squeeze then end and smooth the rod with my other hand, but I couldn't do all that and was pulling/tugging hard to get them out. Not much hair was lost, thank goodness.

But, I know the pics don't show it, but I have some length!! My hair in the back of my head was like 4 inches. I didn't have NL back there. But today, when I did my comb out before I put the curlformers in, I noticed that the hair in back of my head comes past my neck to my shoulders!! I'm so happy!!

I'm going to have to revamp my regimen and do one week CW and the next CF. These things are addictive! I love the fact that mine are so very very soft! When I used to do rollersets, I would have nice round HARD curls. These are so soft. I think its do to what I used to set with. I used Giovanni/Lotta Body/Water spritz and foam. No reason why, I just needed to use everything up. I also used some extra glycerin in my DC this morning.

This morning I did an aphogee hardcore. I followed with a DC then did my CurlFormers.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday

IvyQuietStorm

:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2​

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss​

:dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7::dance7:
:birthday3::birthday3::birthday3::birthday3:

Last edited:
Happy Birthday

IvyQuietStorm

:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2:birthday2​

:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss:Flahsssss​

Happy Birthday IVY!!!!!! :grin::grin:

Galadriel,

How do you like texlaxed hair? My main problem is shrinkage...somtimes I think texlaxing can help. Maybe when my hair is healthier.:perplexed

Klomax, I really like texlaxed b/c I have crazy shrinkage. Being texlaxed helps relieve some of it, also it's easier to wear straight styles longer. I know I'll eventually get bored with it though and probably transition...we'll see!

I like it on the first day, but I really LIKEY!!! when you redid it. It doesn't look dry to me on the PIC, but I think you are on the right track with adding the hair polish if you think it looks a little dull.

You did a really good job!!!!
Thanks Bign :grin:

Happy Birthday

IvyQuietStorm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IVY!!!

I DONT SEE ANYONE CHECKING IN... WHATS GOING ON WITH THE LADIES IN THIS THREAD

Sorry, today was my first day back to work after maternity leave (I'm a teacher) and already I have a ton of work waiting for me :ohwell:. On Saturday I co-washed and wore a bun (I used Pantene Relaxed & Natural-- LOVE it!). On Sunday I wore the bun again but in the evening I washed (I decided to try Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint shampoo), deep conditioned (I bought the big bottle of ORS Replenishing condish) and 80% air-dried and braided my hair into sections (I put satin rollers on the ends). I woke up this morning and took down the braids and styled into an updo. It was cute, until I had to chase around my 18-month old and gently pull strands of hair away from the grasp of my 6-week old :spinning:. Forgive me if I don't provide pics this time around :lachen:. I've been faithfully using my BT the past few weeks and I'm really pushing for APL by the end of this month.

I'm sticking w/ the braid out/ curly ponytail for the next couple of weeks...I am DC'ing as I post...pics later:grin::grin::grin:

I DONT SEE ANYONE CHECKING IN... WHATS GOING ON WITH THE LADIES IN THIS THREAD

Hi Pr3tty! I just decided to stop in today. I stopped checking in because I didn't really feel that the conversations pertained to everyone. It was getting a little cliquish and that's not cool.:nono: That's just my opinion. For some people it's like "what's the point". The other thing is, the thread gets really long, really quickly, and it's a drag reading through a bunch of pages of personal conversations. I'm still a newbie sister though. Sisters disagree sometimes. :yep:

Last edited:
Hi Pr3tty! I just decided to stop in today. I stopped checking in because I didn't really feel that the conversations pertained to everyone. It was getting a little cliquish and that's not cool.:nono: That's just my opinion. For some people it's like "what's the point". The other thing is, the thread gets really long, really quickly, and it's a drag reading through a bunch of pages of personal conversations. I'm still a newbie sister though. Sisters disagree sometimes. It's all love! :yep:

ETA: Plus, I don't really have anything to show. Unlike many of my newbie sisters with longer hair, mine is short so I don't have pics of different styles to post. Makes me a little depressed. :look:

Hi Pr3tty! I just decided to stop in today. I stopped checking in because I didn't really feel that the conversations pertained to everyone. It was getting a little cliquish and that's not cool.:nono: That's just my opinion. For some people it's like "what's the point". The other thing is, the thread gets really long, really quickly, and it's a drag reading through a bunch of pages of personal conversations. I'm still a newbie sister though. Sisters disagree sometimes. :yep:

Awww, I'm sorry you feel that way :sad:. I understand about the length of the thread. Sometimes I'm away for a day and then there are ten pages I need to read just to catch up. I try to welcome or provide comments for everyone who posts, though I know I might have missed some. I think the last thing we want is for it to become cliquish, so hopefully more newbies who've joined the challenge can post just to let us know where they're at in their hair journeys (or even to share with us any new or interesting products) because on the flip side it can feel like that the only people who are IN the challenge are those who are posting because we haven't heard from anyone else. I really didn't do much with my hair this past weekend, but I posted anyway just to let the ladies here know what's going on with me. I'd love to hear from you b/c my sister recently cut her hair and if there is anything I can pass onto her (regarding caring for her hair, styling, products, etc.) then that would be awesome. And besides...how can I encourage you and see your progress if you don't check in? :grin:

Awww, I'm sorry you feel that way :sad:. I understand about the length of the thread. Sometimes I'm away for a day and then there are ten pages I need to read just to catch up. I try to welcome or provide comments for everyone who posts, though I know I might have missed some. I think the last thing we want is for it to become cliquish, so hopefully more newbies who've joined the challenge can post just to let us know where they're at in their hair journeys (or even to share with us any new or interesting products) because on the flip side it can feel like that the only people who are IN the challenge are those who are posting because we haven't heard from anyone else. I really didn't do much with my hair this past weekend, but I posted anyway just to let the ladies here know what's going on with me. I'd love to hear from you b/c my sister recently cut her hair and if there is anything I can pass onto her (regarding caring for her hair, styling, products, etc.) then that would be awesome. And besides...how can I encourage you and see your progress if you don't check in? :grin:

AWWW...G...That's sooo sweet! :kiss: Girl, I'm crazy like that:spinning:. No cause for concern :nono:. I guess I'm a bit of a loner. It's not enough to make me not post in the Newbie Challenge, but it definitely slowed my excitement. It's all good. Girl, I come in and read...then I'm out, you know? I was posting and it was just like :look:...nobody was saying anything...so I figured, oh well, "off to the next thread"...:lachen:.
I'm gonna post new pics around May 14th (that's my three month mark). I also have a fotki that I just started yesterday (address and PW are in my profile). I also stopped posting because I haven't changed my regimen, style or products so there weren't really any updates. That's all..nothing more, nothing less :grin: I'm here. I ain't going nowhere.

The clan will be happy to know that I've been meeting my water goal each day.:yep:

Also, I texlaxed this past Thursday with ORS lye (2 tsp EVOO added). I'm in love! LOL!

Last edited:
Well, with me being a college student, I have so much other stuff to do. I am following my water regi and i'm trying to keep up with my hair goals. I plan to relax friday so i'll post pics after that. I doubt it'll be much of a comparision though.

ETA: Daephae, u made some really good points. I don't think it was intentional, but i've noticed it happen as well. But it now that its out there, it should correct itself. :yep:

Last edited:
Well, with me being a college student, I have so much other stuff to do. I am following my water regi and i'm trying to keep up with my hair goals. I plan to relax friday so i'll post pics after that. I doubt it'll be much of a comparision though.

ETA: Daephae, u made some really good points. I don't think it was intentional, but i've noticed it happen as well. But it now that its out there, it should correct itself. :yep:

Hey fiya! ITA with it not being intentional. People aren't doing it to purposely leave anyone out. Sidebars happen real quick!:yep:

AWWW...G...That's sooo sweet! :kiss: Girl, I'm crazy like that:spinning:. No cause for concern :nono:. I guess I'm a bit of a loner. It's not enough to make me not post in the Newbie Challenge, but it definitely slowed my excitement. It's all good. Girl, I come in and read...then I'm out, you know? I was posting and it was just like :look:...nobody was saying anything...so I figured, oh well, "off to the next thread"...:lachen:.
I'm gonna post new pics around May 14th (that's my three month mark). I also have a fotki that I just started yesterday (address and PW are in my profile). I also stopped posting because I haven't changed my regimen, style or products so there weren't really any updates. That's all..nothing more, nothing less :grin: I'm here. I ain't going nowhere.

The clan will be happy to know that I've been meeting my water goal each day.:yep:

Also, I texlaxed this past Thursday with ORS lye (2 tsp EVOO added). I'm in love! LOL!

LOL, all right then. It's good to know you started the fotki (yay!!!). If possible, can you post pics of your texlaxed hair? I LOVE looking at texlaxed hair :yep:.

I disagree a bit I think we are like a little family and sometimes ur gonna have ladies who r talking 2 each other which will get personal but this is our lil place 2 do that. I feel instead of not coming in and saying anyhing you just left us to not know whats on ur mind or what ur going thru. The whole point of this thread is to have ppl you can share things with and have a close group of ladies who will listen and give you feed back right away. Also I dont have long hair and our goal is to get long healthy hair like some of the ladies we have in this thread. I asked them what they are doing what they use and I pick what I want to try or not try.

Im sorry you felt like you couldnt fit in with us but just let us know its not right to just never come by bc you think its getting too personal. I also agree that sometimes we will disagree

Hey Ladies I need your advice:
Ok so I have cornrows in right now and i plan on taking them out next week friday or something.. what kind of DC should i do after i take them out? Should i do a moisturizing DC or protien?.. or should i do both?

My regimen with these braids has been:
1.wash every 3 days (apply both Infusium 23 leave-in and African Royal Braid Spray after wash)
2.moisturize once a day (alt. between Infusium and African Royal)
3.once a day apply growth elixir.

I havent been conditioning at all thats why i ask... TIA

Back