New challenge: Transitioning without BC'ing...

I'll join... but i don't think i will last very long!!! I mean, i was planning on getting Senegalese twist next weekend until i can find someone to cornrow my own hair.

Ok yall.....
After lurking on this thread for weeks. I think I am going to be down with this challenge:grin: seriously. I have been natural before and right now I am about 8 weeks post relaxer, no thats not much you say but I really think I can do this I feel it. I want a much healthier hair and my hair was at its healthiest 4 years ago when it was natural. I cannot promise I will not get kinky twists or braids because I really don't know how to combat the shedding...:confused: Right now its pretty good but who knows what the future holds. Im sure I will have hundreds of questions so just stick it out with me, I'm new at transitioning with me, last time it just happened.

I'm in. I've been transitioning for almost 14 months and cutting an inch off every two months. I want to have enough hair to do a puff. I'm trying to stick with cornrows and braidouts, but I think I hear kinky twists calling my name.

I need some good moisturizers for my "breaking point".

Also I don't know if I will be able to not get microbraids or kinky twists in this challenge

I'm late, but count me in. My last relaxer was May 15, so I'm only four weeks post, but I do have NG. The good thing is that I've found something that keeps my NG soft, otherwise I wouldn't even consider transitioning.

OT: Is anyone using Porosity Control to detangle and manage the two textures?

Count me in!!!!:bouncegre

Thanks to the OP- This is a GREAT thread!!!!!:clap:

My texlax (on 100% natural hair) was in October 2006. I don't intend to put any chemicals back in my hair EVER, or t least for a couple of years :lol:

The only thing is, I wear my hair in braids 99% of the time because my new growth is no joke :eek:

Transition Experts: What is a good protein treatment to use to keep the processed ends strong, yet still keeping the new growth soft?

BC=big chop
CW=conditioning wash

I am in. I am about 8 weeks post relaxer. I plan to do 1/4- 1/2 inch chops every other month.

I am in as well. My last relaxer was April 2 of this year, so about 13 weeks post. I don't plan on cutting my hair until minimum 18 months. I have been wearing twistouts and airdry/carusos. Working for me so far...

I'm waaaay late for this, but please count me in too!! My last relaxer was March 1, 2007, so I'm almost 16 weeks post. I've been natural before, so I'm ready for the challenge.

TaraDyan said:
I'm waaaay late for this, but please count me in too!! My last relaxer was March 1, 2007, so I'm almost 16 weeks post. I've been natural before, so I'm ready for the challenge.

your hair is beautful!

I just wanted to encourage you laides!
This is how i went natural too. I just kept trimming it a little bit every few months. I had long hair and wanted to keep it that way.
The negative side is that i never really got very comfortable with my natural hair during the transition because I always wore it straight, and now i usually still do, but my hair is stronger than it's ever been.

Good Luck!

TaraDyan said:

I'm late too but I'm joining. I've never been natural (not since I was five) and I've never tried to transition. One time (before finding LHCF) I strecthed my relaxer to 6 months for no reason:wallbash: . I should have transitioned then but I knew nothing about moisturizing or protein treatments or anything else so my hair would have suffered if I stuck it out longer. Now I know (thanks ladies:wave: ) and I'm up for the challenge.

Tara :poke: will you be my buddy? Since you all late too. Before you agree let me tell you I'll needs lots of help. :ohwell: :grin:

~~~~~~~~~~ETA: I'm maybe 7 weeks post. I never really keep track. Maybe I should relax again and then start just to have a real date. Just joking!!!

Last edited:
So far I've been doing good. I used my Maxiglide last week, focusing only on the roots. Since the ends are relaxed and I have layers, the ends of the longest length of my hair look see-through, so I didn't iron my hair to the ends only half way through. I've been too lazy to take pictures of my hair, but I'm going to push myself to get a fotki album. So far it's been around 6 months since my last relaxer. I still use my aloe butter and I still do braidouts. That's pretty much it.

Count me in too! My last relaxer was December 28, 2006. I'm roughly 6 months post. I plan to flat iron once a month to wear my hair like I've always worn it, then when that gets old, I'll cowash every couple of days and wear protective styles. My current PS is a side bun, which is really cute! :)

adf23 said:
your hair is beautful!

Awwwwww ... thanks so much, ADF23. I really appreciate that. :)

kittenz said:
Tara :poke: will you be my buddy? Since you all late too. Before you agree let me tell you I'll needs lots of help. :ohwell: :grin:

~~~~~~~~~~ETA: I'm maybe 7 weeks post. I never really keep track. Maybe I should relax again and then start just to have a real date. Just joking!!!

Hey, Kittenz. I would love to be your hair buddy. We late-comers have to stick together, right? :grin:

i'm in...i HAVE to use braids or weave though....that's the only way i'm gonna make it through....otherwise, i'll be looking like buckwheat...lol

Thanks for starting this thread. Count me in on the challenge. I am 7 months post my last relaxer/texlax, and so far my hair is holding up okay. The toughest part was figuring out how keep my hair from puffing up when I workout. I now pull it back into a ponytail and put two thin headbands around the edges to stop the frizz. I know that I don't want to cut my hair until my natural hair is at least chin length in it's curly state, but it's so hard to judge the growth progress of my natural hair I have no idea when that will be.

I want to JOIN! I want to go natural so bad but I can't handle a fro doing the job do now. I work outside in the Vegas heat and that would be a death sentence for my hair. I need my ponytail. I just put a perm in about a week ago but I only left it on for 10 minutes (yea I know, what a waste!) It didn't really take so the front is straight and the rest is just a softer version of it's nappy self. But I'm nervous and hoping that I can actually go more than 4 months ths time, cause I love my natural texture. Maybe some braids and then a sew in will get me through the rest of the year.;)

I'm in!!!

I'm 9 weeks post now and I plan on bunning and putting on a satin scarf most of the time. only COW and reconstructor (profectiv megagrowth) when I wash and no more wearing my hair down or out too much...

I'm excited because I just bought S-Curl and it is TOTALLY AWESOME and does everything you ladies have said it would, and I have found that BB Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil and Aloe (the batch that didn't get mineral oil in it and has Soybean oil instead...) really works on my newgrowth to soften it up and also moisturizes my relaxed hair. It makes the textures easier to handle together. Who would have thought that two of the things I used to avoid under my mother's bathroom sink would ever come in handy?

The thing about transitioning
that really discourages me is detangling. I am used to washing every 3 days or so, but after the 30 minutes it spent digging and pulling and spreading and combing my hair to detangle it... I am going to stick to once a week. Just get the bun right and keep my hands out of it! It was awful!

I am in!! My last relaxer was on March 21. I don't wear weaves or wigs or braids. I don't think I have a face for short hair so I can't do my BC any time soon:lachen:. Good luck ladies!!!!

kittenz said:
I'm late too but I'm joining. I've never been natural (not since I was five) and I've never tried to transition. One time (before finding LHCF) I strecthed my relaxer to 6 months for no reason:wallbash: . I should have transitioned then but I knew nothing about moisturizing or protein treatments or anything else so my hair would have suffered if I stuck it out longer. Now I know (thanks ladies:wave: ) and I'm up for the challenge.

Hi Ladies. I have news, I changed my mind about transitioning. Don't hurt me:confused: . It's just that I have learned soooo much from this board in a couple of weeks that I would like to see what I can accomplish with this relaxed hair of mine. Don't get me wrong, I WILL be all natural one day, this can be my ulitmate goal:grin: but I still wanna play around for a little while. At least I'll have all of your to refer to when my time does come(plenty of good advice to chose from) so I am resigning for now. But I will be back.:)

kittenz said:
Hi Ladies. I have news, I changed my mind about transitioning. Don't hurt me:confused: . It's just that I have learned soooo much from this board in a couple of weeks that I would like to see what I can accomplish with this relaxed hair of mine. Don't get me wrong, I WILL be all natural one day, this can be my ulitmate goal:grin: but I still wanna play around for a little while. At least I'll have all of your to refer to when my time does come(plenty of good advice to chose from) so I am resigning for now. But I will be back.:)

Well you go girl! Whatever keeps you happy with your hair is what counts, and with the wealth of information on this board, you CAN have healthy relaxed hair if you really want to.:)
xxx

I've been having hair issues since I joined. I decided to transition looking hopefully for some progress and I see none:mad: :confused: :( I have been cutting 0.5-1in every month and I am looking to get kinky twists pretty soon in hopes of growing this relaxer out.

al00fone said:
I'm in!!!

I'm 9 weeks post now and I plan on bunning and putting on a satin scarf most of the time. only COW and reconstructor (profectiv megagrowth) when I wash and no more wearing my hair down or out too much...

I'm excited because I just bought S-Curl and it is TOTALLY AWESOME and does everything you ladies have said it would, and I have found that BB Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil and Aloe (the batch that didn't get mineral oil in it and has Soybean oil instead...) really works on my newgrowth to soften it up and also moisturizes my relaxed hair. It makes the textures easier to handle together. Who would have thought that two of the things I used to avoid under my mother's bathroom sink would ever come in handy?

The thing about transitioning
that really discourages me is detangling. I am used to washing every 3 days or so, but after the 30 minutes it spent digging and pulling and spreading and combing my hair to detangle it... I am going to stick to once a week. Just get the bun right and keep my hands out of it! It was awful!

Have you tried washing/detangling your hair in braided sections? You basically braid your hair up in sections before you wash/detangle it, after you braid it up wet your hair first then apply your products that you normally use for washing/detangling, when detangling it's best to use a moisturizing conditioner one that has slip, add a generous amount to each section and throughly work it in, detangle one section at a time starting from the ends on up by using a wide tooth comb, after you detangle one section you can clip it up or make a small twist bun/bantu knot to prevent it from tangling with the rest of your hair. I've basically been applying the same technique since I started transitioning nearly 2 years ago and it only takes me 5 mins or less to detangle my hair, you should try it out I'm sure it will work for you and your hair. ;)

Well I'm in!!!
I'm transitioning (last texlax 3/20/07) and I refuse to BC until July 4 2008 (or later if i can hold out) cuz I am loving my longish hair now-a-days.

Back