New challenge: Transitioning without BC'ing...

I'll join. I've been transitioning for some months now. I went to see my old stylist last week; I was surprised that she was actually supportive of my decision. I got my first mini chop but I was must admit I was so tempted to get a relaxer.

I want to join!! My last relaxer was January 28th! I have NO intention of doing a BC at all. I'll just try to continue on with my final goal of tailbone length (stretched). I'll just keep trimming a small amount at a time after I've reached my goal. The good thing is that it seems that my relaxed hair looks as if it's reverting with each deep conditioner!:D Right now I have my hair in two braids in the back and you can't tell I have a relaxer at all!But I know that I still need to be careful with those relaxed ends because it's weaker than my natural hair. I'm in this for the long haul though!!

I see that there are alot of people wanting to transition without doing the BC. At first i felt like i was one of the few that were not going to BC. I did cut about 4-5 inches off my hair about 2 weeks ago. I went a whole year without any trims to see how long my hair would grow. Well i washed it and part of the back is all natural. I have my hair in a blunt cut all around. So other parts of my hair have 1-6 inches of relaxed ends on them. So if i trim 1-2 inches every 3-4 months i'll be all natural in a bit over a year. I was in the miror just playing with the back of my hair.

My last relaxer was November 30, 2006. I usually go anywhere from 12 to 20 weeks between relaxers, so I don't think this transition without a big chop will be overly difficult. I will not BC because I have a bet going with a friend that I will not cut my hair b4 I reach mid-back (trims are allowed). Once I reach mid-back I may BC or trim periodically until the relaxed ends are gone...we'll see!

I do braidouts, buns, and blowouts/flatiron...too lazy to rollerset right now. I have been washing twice weekly and deep conditioning with each wash.
Fantasia IC Polisher gel is my best friend when it comes to smoothing down the new growth for the sleek bun look, I put it on damp hair and tie my hair up with my do-rag...works everytime.

I'm not a fan of weave or braided extensions, so I doubt that I'll look to those during my transition.

Good luck ladies!!!

I'm definitely in. I expecting a child in October and i've read that exposing myself to chemicals in the relaxers can be harmful to my unborn child. So i 'm going operate on the side of caution and i will not relaxer ahich is definitely going to be an incentive not to be weak because I 've begun transitioning and failed a number of times already. The only thing is these prenatal vitamins have my hair growth out of control. I believe I'm about 5 weeks post but if you look at my hair you would think 3 months.
I just need to find products that keep my hair moisturized. I plan to do rollersets.

Birdie, try UBH moisturizer and seal you the moisture in with Kemi Oyl. Go to www.UBHpublications.com to find out more about the products. This moisturizer is the best. It does not weigh the hair down. No petroleum or mineral oil it.

I plan to transition for 16 to 18 months. I think I would have enough hair to put in a puff and do a twistout.

I am about to Big Chop. My hair is breaking off something fierce:mad: !! The new growth is fabulous. The relaxed hair is going crazy popping off. I deep condition, I protein-- I'm tired. My hair is sooo uneven too. around the front edges I have about 2 inches of hair. The sides 6 inches. The crown 2 inches. The back 4 inches. Bunning is making me look like an old lady. I haven't had a relaxer since 12/24/06. I must have at least 3 inches of natutural hair to sport a fro right? Please ladies...I need some advice. I'm getting a little sad:ohwell:

Oh year, because I'm into healthy hair treatments, no weave (natural hair can not get the moisture/protein balance it needs). Thanks

I'M IN!!! (Can't believe I'm just now finding this thread!)

I haven't relaxed my hair since Oct. 2006. Initially I was just stretching, but since I haven't had the urge to relax I just decided to transition a couple of months ago. If I could just find something for my new growth :confused:

Count me in also!!!!!!!

My last relaxer was April '06. I was planning on doing the BC in April or May but I got nervous so I think if I can transition until the end of the year I will have reached my goal length to cut off those relaxed ends.

I'm newly relaxed, but I'll be transitioning from this point on. I promised my hubby that I would wait til next year to chop. By then I think I'll be 9 months post. I do love my relaxed hair, but I miss my texture.:ohwell:

DDtexlaxd said:
I'm newly relaxed, but I'll be transitioning from this point on. I promised my hubby that I would wait til next year to chop. By then I think I'll be 9 months post. I do love my relaxed hair, but I miss my texture.:ohwell:

I just relaxed my hair this week after transitioning for 6 months and I was so mad at myself!:mad: I miss my texture so much. I think I will be transitioning for good after this....well, I'll see:lol:

I'm in
OT:

I'm currently 8 months post relaxer. I'm transitioning. i recently took my braids out and did a regimen. In the end my hair became a little hard. It was combable but not as soft as it was after conditioning.

I pre-poo with EVOO over night.
Plait my hair. Washed with red CON shampoo. Did a ACV rinse. Deep conditioned with green CON conditoner. Leave-in Garner Sleek and shine and little olive oil.
I used Fantasic IC straightening serum and blowdryed. By while blowing I used the cool setting on my dryer. My hard was kind of hard but combable. Should I have just used the heat when I put the serum in?

Since I used the cool setting, did I really need the serum in my hair?

To make it more manageable, my friend had to do a hot oil treatment. And it was softer. She used Jamaician lock and twists for my two strand twists.

My plan is to moisture moisture while in the 2 strand twists. B&B castor oil moisturizer.

And wash my hair after 2 weeks. I am unsure about co-washes. I exercise 4 x a weeks. Is it a good idea to CW or should I just play by ear and see what my hair likes.

naicendivine said:
Yes you can!!! As for the ponytail thing, I don't know how much longer you can do this for cause I've never gone beyond 3 or 4 months while stretching, but if you smooth on some elasta qp glaze after washing and tie a scarf on and let dry overnight, the next morning you should have flat, laid down edges to rock a pontail or bun with, but I figure at some point the NG will be too much... I'm not sure.

But I feel you on the lack of hairstyles, that's why I kept holding off cause I'm always trying to do straight styles and the more NG I have the harder it will be to do them. That's why I'm going to start doing curlier styles from now, I hope I make it!!!

Im in. This is what ive been doing until this point.put the scarf over it to flatten. i spray my leave in conditioner on my edges and then i know im not very far into my transition but i do have alota new growth and i actually dont plan on wearing my hair LOOSE while im transitioning. To me i consider it to be more maintenance...

But anyway... im in! i dont do braids or weaves. I was doing rollersets but combing through the new growth was causing too much breakage. I used flexi rods yesterday to smooth my hair and at the same time it stretched out my NG so i didnt have to flat iron. It worked pretty well and i hardly had any breakage!

I really want to do this..I think its a mind thing. My last relaxer was 3/16 I am leaning toward natural but my hair is so hard to maintain and its at this horrible shedding stage now:(

Well I was I going to BC after 5 more natural inches...but...:sad: truth be told, I dont know what to do with myself lol. I know that I love my natural texture and the fullness. and I never liked perms but got it in the first place because my mom didn't know what to do with my hair. But now that I'm 'grown' I can finally get back to my naturals. I trimmed the ends over the weekend and was fighting the tempation to just chop it all off. Just talking about my hair right now is getting me aggravated. Seriously lol. Everyone's transitioning and making their cute little curly buns and I cant even do that. I'm just so fu... man I need a deep breath and a glass of cold water.

Anybody want to be my transitioning sponsor. I'm willing to pay. :(

autumnbeauty29 said:
I really want to do this..I think its a mind thing. My last relaxer was 3/16 I am leaning toward natural but my hair is so hard to maintain and its at this horrible shedding stage now:(

Yep, it is! ;)
You could try co washing as well as deep conditioning treatments to help soften your NG, and for a daily moisturizer you could try S-curl no Drip Spray or Carefree Gold. As for as shedding, protein treatments and ACV rinses really helps to reduce shedding.

HTH :)

Ouch said:
Well I was I going to BC after 5 more natural inches...but...:sad: truth be told, I dont know what to do with myself lol. I know that I love my natural texture and the fullness. and I never liked perms but got it in the first place because my mom didn't know what to do with my hair. But now that I'm 'grown' I can finally get back to my naturals. I trimmed the ends over the weekend and was fighting the tempation to just chop it all off. Just talking about my hair right now is getting me aggravated. Seriously lol. Everyone's transitioning and making their cute little curly buns and I cant even do that. I'm just so fu... man I need a deep breath and a glass of cold water.

Anybody want to be my transitioning sponsor. I'm willing to pay. :(

Gurl don't say that!
We're all here to help each other out, during the rough patches and beyond.
Hang in there, the time will fly by, trust me! ;)

ETA: What's your regimen?

i'm thinking about it..
i'm currently about 9-10weeks post relaxer pic in sig
and i think that i want to try going natural, but i refuse to cut my hair..

i'm still kinda iffy bout it, but i do plan on going w/o a relaxer till my birthday in sept.. so then i'll know for sure

but right now.. i'm in :perplexed

Okay, I'm 4 mos post and I'm doing it. I'm about 2 inches past bra strap, and the thought of the bc is killing me on the inside - but I know eventually, it's inevitable - but I'm fighting. I made an appointment to get my hair flat twisted with a bun at the end using extensions. I don't want any more than 20 twists and I'm going to keep them for 6 weeks, give myself a week, trim and inch or 2, then redo the flat twists

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Yep, it is! ;)
You could try co washing as well as deep conditioning treatments to help soften your NG, and for a daily moisturizer you could try S-curl no Drip Spray or Carefree Gold. As for as shedding, protein treatments and ACV rinses really helps to reduce shedding.

HTH :)

I have heard about ACV rinses. What is that??? The weirdest thing is about 5 minutes ago my best friend just called me and told me that she was thinking about going back natural and asked me if I wanted to do it with her starting this summer:perplexed Its so crazy how things happen....

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
Gurl don't say that!
We're all here to help each other out, during the rough patches and beyond.
Hang in there, the time will fly by, trust me! ;)

ETA: What's your regimen?

I dont even have one. At least I dont think I do.:ohwell: I wash with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo every 1-2 weeks and each time, I use ORS replenishing Pak. I sometimes braid it right after the wash so that my perm'd ends won't become tangled and unmanagable when dry. And sometimes I just blow dry it when I'm too lazy to braid it. The next day or two, I grease my scalp and hair with ORS Tea Tree oil and get it cornrowed or box braided using my own hair. And every now and then, I put some MTG around the edges.

Currently, as I type, half my hair is in a bun and the other side is still in boxed braids. I plan on finishing up today and then washing and do what I just said I do.:( I can't do anything BUT the braiding. My hair can't do one whole bun cause my edges always end up sticking out. Terrible just terrible lol.

I am IN! I have been natural before, so I should be cool on that part. The transitioning part is what was scaring me....I was a junior in high school the first time I transitioned, so I was young and didn't care about what anyone had to say....my little form of rebellion, I guess :ohwell: But now I am a grown up and have a job to go to every day, one that I can not come into looking any whichaway....and when I have two or three textures on my head, it is easy for me to look any whichaway:lol:

Before my experimentation with texturizers and such four years ago, my hair was BSL 4a/b and I WANT MY HAIR BACK!! :lol: I guess you don't realize what you've got until it's gone :ohwell: Looking at zzirvingj's pics inspired me to grow my hair back out, her styles are so PRETTY :rosebud: Shout out to her for making the long naturals look elegant and just gawjus ;)

I have no idea how long it has been since my last relaxer, at least a few months though. I think maybe the start of February...yeah, that's it...we will say the start of February :look: I have about 1 inch of new growth and I tried my first braidout a few nights ago....it was cool to have fluffy hair again....I didn't realize how much I missed it :grin:

I have NO idea what I am going to do to get through this transition. I do know that CWs and buns are going to be my friends. That's about all I know, though :ohwell: Now I'm out to find those face exercises so that my cheekbones and jawline will get tight and regal for these new hairstyles :lol:

How is everyone doing? I am 13 weeks post and trying to hang in there. What is a good flat iron for when I want a straight style?

Count me in too! I'm 11 months post relaxer and it now smooth sailing for me. I have been doing braidouts and the occasional ponytail and bun. I am loving my newgrowth. I haven't updated my fotki but I guess I should now. I have no plans of BC'ing for a while.

Count me in! I've been transitioning for almost 9 months. I cut slowly about 1-3 inches every 4 months or so. I wear my hair in loose buns, phony buns, or flat iron when I have the energy. :)

Elucence conditioner has been my best friends when it comes to detangling my different textures. It's getting easier as I cut the the straighter hair.

I'm trying to find the right product that is moisturizing and not greasy.

Honestly I don't feel like I fit in yet here. My last relaxer was in March 07 and right now in the front I have a small amount a new growth but in the back there is half of my hair length of new growth and I have no idea of how that happened:confused: Either my beautician over processed the front or she missed some spots in the back! Truth me told I am split between doing texlax stretching or whether I want to completely transition:( I love the natural texture of my hair and I have been natural before (having it straightened every 3 weeks) I guess this in between period is the kicker. I would not mind going transitioning through again but having learned about the evils of heat getting my hair hot combed every 3 weeks would be devastating to its health. I'm not sure I would want to do that to it. I guess I'm not really sure what a sistah should do...:whyme:

is it too late to join?...i have been contemplating transitioning for about a month now, and i must admit that i am a little scurred!

what products are you all using to protect your line of demarcation? what moisturizers and moisturizing methods are you currently utilizing? :confused:

so far i am about 4 months post. i have been engaging in nighly baggying, weekly pre-poos (i am STILL trying to figure out the best recipe for me), weekly CW, weekly deep conditioning and i shampoo as needed.

i have been just wearing my hair in my signature style (a bun) and have been able to "disguise" my NG that way. this will most likely be the method that i employ - i cannot gurantee NO braids or weaves throughout the ENTIRE transition...

anywho, please share advice on the above.

thanks for starting this challenge and HHG to all of you...OH and CONGRATULATIONS on the decision to transition! :grin:

Back