NATURAL SUPPORT THREAD 2010:STYLES,REGGIES,PRODUCTS AND RANDOM STUFF!

Here are some styles from last week and this week:

Braidout updo:

DSC06119.jpg

DSC06120.jpg

DSC06122.jpg

Another braidout updo:
DSC06128.jpg

DSC06130.jpg

And a rollerset- I bantu knotted it for bed and then did a bantu knot out:

DSC06139.jpg

DSC06140.jpg

DSC06141.jpg

New twistout regimen has helped my ate up areas in the front fill in but I still don't feel comfortable doing twists just yet. Hopefully they will fill in some more over the next few months and I can finally go back to my favorite style: 4 flat twists in the front middle section and then single twists all over. Oooh and I can try the twist updos i found on youtube! Grow hair, grow!

I wore a twist out this week. I think every 2 days I retwisted the top and my bangs. I did medium sized twists and made sure to layer on my products to keep it from drying out or getting frizzy. One time I used KCKT and Seyani butter to redo the top/front and it came out really nice.

I learned this week my hair does NOT like to dry with the bonnet dryer. My hair came out hard/dry despite putting on my normal product layers for a braid out. I think air drying will be the only way for me.

I have henna in my hair now and will DC. I'm going to twist up for the week and try styling my twists instead of just wearing them down. BORING. Time to get back the personality of my hair and not let the winter get to it.

ive been using qhemet biologics heavy cream like a mad woman lately. it seems i cant get enough of it. it is very moisturizing and i love it even though my hair is fine and thin.

i wanted to do a braid out yesterday for this week but i have been so lazy i didnt do it. i love my puff lol.

Love this thread! I have been in braids on and off for the past year. Just did a BC in October and went straight to kinky twist. Will be wearing my natural hair for my birthday next month.

i don't think i will give up commercial deep conditioners. the concoction i brought to FL is a mix of ors replenishing, ors mayo, and it has a small layer of EVCO on top that didnt mix in all the way for some reason. basically i'm going to experiment with it by heating it and using it the same way i do my hot oil treatment and see if that makes a difference. if so then every wash i'll alternate between warm oil infused DCs and hot oil treatments.

I loved my twists from last week. I decided to wet twist my hair and the shrinkage was so cute. It made it look like I had a swing bob. My coworkers thought I had cut my hair. The twist out was super cute. Lots of body and definition.

I love my natural hair. If I get tired of long hair I let shrinkage do its thing. If I want long hair I air dry stretched then style. Maybe I'll start liking straight hair and try styles on blow-dried hair. I've seen some cute bantu knot outs and braid outs.

Does anyone know what style Corinne Bailey Rae is sporting in her new video?

my hair is in twists right now. i plan on keeping twists in as long as i can stand because for a while i was getting an urge to do another big chop.
so saturday i deep conditioned with kbb ll hair mask and then twisted my hair using oyin honey hemp conditioner as a leave in followed by oyin shine and define and whipped pudding as a moisturizer and twisting aid. my hair is very soft but looks old already. i guess my twisting skills are a little rusty lmao.
this weekend i plan on twisting my hair using qhemet heavy cream.

i liked topical growth aids but i get the same results when i wash 2-3 times a week, wear low manipulation/protective styles, and keep my hair strong and moisturized.

I'm new natural as of 19 Jan 2010, I'm still working on what products I like. I co wash 2x a week, wash everyother, dc after every wash. I prefer thicker leave ins so far I like cantu, giovanni. I've tried hairveda, shescent, gheu, miss jessie with no success. Love shea butters and carrier oils, and afroveda shikaki oils.

Subscribing as well. I have been pretty much natural for all my life. Once when I was 19 I tried to relax and learned quickly I didn't need one. The other time when I had a texurizer for about 2 years up until May 2009 while I rocked my Halle Berry short cut. I did the BC in August so I could be natural again because I wanted to grow my hair back long.

My staples:

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
EVOO
Jojoba Oil
Organic Shea Butter
Aussie Moist Poo, Condish, & 3 min miriacle
Giovanni 50/50 Poo & Condish & Direct Leave-In
V05 Tea Therapy Condish
Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer
Shikakai Poo Bar

I'm gonna try some new things I picked up from TJ Maxx and if they work I'll let you all know.

i just saw a pic of a natural on black girl long hair and she had these amazing fat braids in her hair. so of course now i want some. so the next time i do my hair instead of twists i will be doing fat braids. and im glad to know it'll only take me a couple minutes instead of the hour it takes to do twists.
also i cant wait to start using hairveda almond glaze on braids and twists. i usually just use this to slick my hair back but i bet it'll make a great braiding aid.

qhemet karkady mist is very oily. i like it though, i just cant be heavy handed with it. but i used it combined with the heavy cream to do twists and my hair feels and looks nice. the first night my hair was so greasy/sticky but i havent moisturized since then so now its just well moisturized.
im going to mix the karkady mist with water and see if that works better.

i ordered kbb hair butter and i cant wait for it to come. i know it works better on dry hair so i will use it to twist over the nectar, milk or super silky.

Okay, I'm str8n 2morrow.. for some reason i'm not expecting a whole heep of growth or for it to be any longer then my shoulders.. I think i'm having a stand still..which is odd..usually when I eat healthy and drink water take my vitamins my hair starts like a wild fire..but hey... Hopefully i'll have pics 2morrow.. any str8n tips or recommendations?

^^^ Good luck with straightening. I'm sure it will be longer than you think (thinking happy hair thoughts for you). Sometimes as my hair grows and the less I straighten the more shrinkage I experience so maybe that's it.

Oh & I love using John Frieda Frizz-Ease Thermal Protection Serum (orange bottle). It really protects my hair, gives me great shine, and helps with reversion until I wash.

Hey ladies, good to see that this thread is helping alot of you.
Sorry I have not been around. I am going through some really hard life changing situations at the moment. I will post more once things get settled a bit.

i got my kbb hair butter in the mail today. i still have my twists in with the qhemet and i still have not had to moisturize yet. thats great but im scared of locking because the karkady mist is a little sticky. i want to take these out on monday to do a twists out and then on wednesday i will pre poo, wash, deep condition and retwist with kbb hair milk and the hair butter.

Hey ladies, good to see that this thread is helping alot of you.
Sorry I have not been around. I am going through some really hard life changing situations at the moment. I will post more once things get settled a bit.
i hope you feel better and everything turns out for the best:yep:

i was at the gate security checkpoint and it was a black female with dreads. i have my hair in a twistout fro and we were both sneaking glances at each other's hair lol.

^^^^ Don't you just love that. I was doing that the other day to a girl at Starbucks. She was sneaking peeks at my waves and I at her curls.

I put in some really mini twists on Thursday because the storm was coming (I hate snow). I used Coco Cream Leave-in on wet hair then let it dry to about 80-90% in braids then used Almond Glaze and my Shea butter mix for the ends. I let the hair dry further and let the ends curl up and people thought I had gotten them done professionally. When the snow got to them on Friday they shrunk up and made a cute layered bob. Will post pics in my fotki this week.

Mandy- keeping you in my prayers.

Nice Thread :lick:

Here are the products that I use regularly:

Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera Juice
Coconut oil
Wheat Germ Oil
Honey
Castile Soap - diluted with oils

I make my own conditioner which has proven to be the best thing I have ever used.
I make my own moisture sprays, detanglers and oil blends........

I always pre poo - I always shampoo, oil rinse, and Deep condition. I only detangle during this time.....and wash in braids.... and rinse with distilled water. all the teas and coffee and all that crap was too much for me...

I wear my hair most times like my siggy......It's easy....I use Qhemet Biologics....or my detangler.

I flat Iron - every now and then. This is when my hair is out....

When that happens.....

I Pre poo overnight with Coconut oil or condish

I shampoo 2x with Etae Shampoo

I rinse like the dickens....

I steam with moisture - or my aloe vera mix

I rinse again - like the dickens........

I use aloe vera, and other sprays/ serums to protect before the blow dry...( stating in March I will go back to the Chi silk serum)

I use superior products ( my baybliss or FHI dryer) and use my beloved FHI Runway - and clean the iron after every swipe.... I have found that less is more....

Hope that helps.... =)

tonight im going to condition and detangle with honey hemp and then moisturize and braid with carols daughter hair milk and sunshine. im just doing this so my hair wont tangle since im not home.
when i get home on saturday i plan on giving myself an amazing pre poo, black soap, and then deep condition with heat and then twist again with qhemet heavy cream and detangling ghee.

tonight im going to condition and detangle with honey hemp and then moisturize and braid with carols daughter hair milk and sunshine. im just doing this so my hair wont tangle since im not home.
when i get home on saturday i plan on giving myself an amazing pre poo, black soap, and then deep condition with heat and then twist again with qhemet heavy cream and detangling ghee.

I used to use this!!!! I still recommend it to many! For me - it took too long to arrive in the mail - and it was getting pricey - the whole bottle was used in a sitting....:nono:

Back