NATURAL SUPPORT THREAD 2010:STYLES,REGGIES,PRODUCTS AND RANDOM STUFF!

^^^ I am kinda changing my reggie too...Well just tweaking and trying new conditioners:

Moisturizers-I have added some new somes including one from Hairveda for my ends
DSC06098.jpg

I have new twisting products even though, my hair is still trying to get along with twists:
DSC06103.jpg

I have a couple of new deep conditioners:Shescentit, AO, Hairveda- (AO is not new to my reggie)
DSC06099.jpg

I will be using pomades and oils on my scalp to see if it helps my dryness:
DSC06101.jpg

DSC06102.jpg

I also bought a new detangling comb. I don't have a pic of it. It might just replace my denman.

Mandy, how do you like the Honeybush Soft Tea Gel? I have been wanting to try this for my twists but I am hesitant to buy it because of the long waiting period.

Mandy, how do you like the Honeybush Soft Tea Gel? I have been wanting to try this for my twists but I am hesitant to buy it because of the long waiting period.
I have not tried it enough time to really say. I only used it once and I was not really feeling it, but I will need to try it a few more times to say for sure. I immediate thought was that it was too runny/thin or something like that. I thought it would be more jelly like.

What does dry style mean? Sorry if its a damn question:look:

No problem it means letting the hair dry stretched first (say banded or something) and then putting it in some sort of style such as twists. The problem I have is that when I dry twist the twists unravel instantly even if I use a bit of gel. I only have about 5 inchs of hair so wet twists shrink into half inch stubs :nono:.

I am so styling challenged, can't wait till this bad boy is long enough to throw into a bun.

No problem it means letting the hair dry stretched first (say banded or something) and then putting it in some sort of style such as twists. The problem I have is that when I dry twist the twists unravel instantly even if I use a bit of gel. I only have about 5 inchs of hair so wet twists shrink into half inch stubs :nono:.

I am so styling challenged, can't wait till this bad boy is long enough to throw into a bun.

I dry style and then I lightly dampen my hair afterwards and put a scarf on. It still stays stretched and my twists or braids get to set as well.

I do dry twists. I usually let my hair dry to 80-90% stretched then I twist. I also use products that can further stretch my hair like butters and then I use water to wet the ends and set them. I've noticed that if I let the hair dry to much before I twist it is very hard to have them set well and have a nice twist out that will last.

I think I'm about to start doing twistouts/braidouts for the next few weeks. I'm trying to embrace the big hair and textured look and change up from wearing twists as a sole protective style for the winter.

i'm not getting the softness & amazingness that everyone else seems to get when they use coconut oil so i just mix it with JBCO & put it on my scalp. it was a great mix when i was relaxed but now...i dont get the same results. jojoba oil doesnt do jack squat either.

i dont know whatelse i should try
:sad:

This is an amazing thread. I am a 4 a/b natural. I am doing the crown and glory braid extension challenge to get to BSL very fast and not have to worry about my hair. But I'm only 18 and no one in my family knows how to manage their natural hair and I love seeing the hairstyles and the regimens!!! Thanks

hi everyone. i dont know how i keep forgetting about this thread but it is great. i have to go back and read the whole thing.
my hair is still growing pretty well, with not breakage. right now i am co washing daily and putting my hair in puffs. i am using shea butter/sunshine/coconut confidence everyday so my hair stays soft.

i keep up on my protein and deep conditioner at least once a week, im trying to up that to twice a week but thats a little hard as i dont want to do my hair at night and refuse to overnight treat like i do during the summer.
i do however do oil treatments overnight. this week im using hibiscus oil by afroveda.

i'm not getting the softness & amazingness that everyone else seems to get when they use coconut oil so i just mix it with JBCO & put it on my scalp. it was a great mix when i was relaxed but now...i dont get the same results. jojoba oil doesnt do jack squat either.

i dont know whatelse i should try
:sad:
coconut oil can be drying during the colder months. i use and love coconut oil but it is much better for my hair in the summer.

My Staples:
  • ORS Replenishing Conditioner
  • Affirm (keracare) Moisturizing Condish for Color Treated Hair
  • Eco Styler Gel
  • Hawaiian Silky 14-1
  • African Herbal Oil
  • Fantasia Hair Polisher for Color Treated Hair
  • Fantasia IC gel
Reggie:
  • Co-wash daily
  • DC weekly (not so consistent with that)
  • Moisturize daily

is everyone protective styling?
i hate protective styles so i co wash daily and wear puffs. my hair seems to be growing fine but i need to know that this wont hurt me in the long run.

i hate protective styles so i co wash daily and wear puffs. my hair seems to be growing fine but i need to know that this wont hurt me in the long run.
I have not figure out the whole protective styling business yet. Depends on what is considered a potective style, I wear my hair up all the time put it is still loose and exposed (sometimes tucked away in a bun or pinned up in some sort of updo), it is not rubbing against my clothes, would that count as a protective style?

i think if your hair is in an up style it is protected. but when i think ps i usually thing braids and twists.

i am officially replacing my deep conditioning with hot oil treatments. my hair has more moisture and strength with the oil treatments and oil is easier on my wallet lol. my latest PJ weakness is leave in conditioner, i think i have over 10 bottles of the stuff lol.

Not really and not intentionally. I do some protective styling on ocassionally. I think it's more about moisture balance and softness for me. Those two things lead to less breakage which leads to more length retention. But that's just my .02

I keep everything simple with my regimen. I just co wash everyday, seal with castor oil, either use gel or one of my creams and airdry. Sometimes if I'm in a rush I'll use the blowdryer on cool. I clarify or shampoo whenever I feel the need to. I also do an amla treatment and deep condition once a month.

Last edited:
^^^ I am kinda changing my reggie too...Well just tweaking and trying new conditioners:

Moisturizers-I have added some new somes including one from Hairveda for my ends
DSC06098.jpg

I have new twisting products even though, my hair is still trying to get along with twists:
DSC06103.jpg

I have a couple of new deep conditioners:Shescentit, AO, Hairveda- (AO is not new to my reggie)
DSC06099.jpg

I will be using pomades and oils on my scalp to see if it helps my dryness:
DSC06101.jpg

DSC06102.jpg

I also bought a new detangling comb. I don't have a pic of it. It might just replace my denman.

Yummmy those products look so dang good!!! I haven't bought anything in awhile but a lot of those are ones I've been eyeballing!!! I need to go thru this thread Im so behind on here because I havent had a computer for awhile. My routine is very simple but never the same. Since Im in the twist for growth challenge my hair is in twist 90 something % of the time. I love twist and I am retaining from it tremendously. So for that I keep my routine very simple. I mostly co-wash daily and use coconut oil on my hair before I go to bed and after I wash my hair. Ive only trimmed once since my BC in June and it was more of just a dusting while in twist. I try to henna when I can which is now monthly or more. Havent used heat on my hair since last Jan 09! I luv the ease of my hair.

how on earth did I let this thread get past me?? sheesh.. I'll go back and read..

As far as my hair goes,I am experiencing a little more breakage then last yr (didn't experience any really). I think it's the fact I introduced protein back into my reggie ,as I use to do it sparingly before. Also, i've been dC'n a lot more then my once a week usual. I think i'ma cut that back to my once a week dc and eliminate the protein and see if that helps. I dont want any set backs or surprises when I straigthen my hair in FEB. I want to be past SL dangit!!

see this is why i shouldnt fix something that not broken. i know that i love kbb hair milk and that leave ins should be water based, so why i used a leave in with zero water in it i dont know. my hair was so soft at first and now its starting to get crunchy. well i learned my lesson.
tonight im going to spritz my hair with a mix i made(water, juices and berries, curls quench moisturizer) and seal it in with sunshine.
tomorrow its back to my kbb hair milk. i love that stuff. it almost time to stock up again but i will wait.

see this is why i shouldnt fix something that not broken. i know that i love kbb hair milk and that leave ins should be water based, so why i used a leave in with zero water in it i dont know. my hair was so soft at first and now its starting to get crunchy. well i learned my lesson.
tonight im going to spritz my hair with a mix i made(water, juices and berries, curls quench moisturizer) and seal it in with sunshine.
tomorrow its back to my kbb hair milk. i love that stuff. it almost time to stock up again but i will wait.

I'm thinking of buying this, I have wanted to try it for such a long time.

I'm thinking of buying this, I have wanted to try it for such a long time.
its amazing. its the only thing i havent changed since i went natural. i have always kept a stash of it because its that good. infact im a fan of her whole line. i love the deep conditioner, hair milk, super silky, hair nectar, hair cream(i freaking love this) and her hair mask. the only thing i didnt like was the hair butter. it made my hair haird except if i used it on dry hair as a pomade to slick my hair back. but i use most stuff on wet hair so that was not for me. and her shampoo bars are nice too but they have a stickiness to them that when wet makes me go ewww so i dont use them anymore either. but everything else is a keeper.

My reggie is pretty simple. I wash with CD's Tui Shampoo, condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, then detangle and apply leave-in. (Either Giovanni's Direct or Kinky Curly Knot Today).

I do my braid or twist out with shea butter or coconut oil, sometimes I add gel for hold (IC Fantasia or Kinky Curly Curling Custard). Usually I do two rows of flat twists in the front and put the back in 4 or 6 big braids.

In the morning when my hair is fully dry I unbraid it. Then I style my hair according to the tightness of the curl and amount of frizz. Sometimes I do a puff, southern tease bun, fro hawk, etc...

At night I either put it in several big twists or put it in a high puff. Then I cover with a satin scarf. In the morning I fluff and style.

Attachments

• frizzy.jpg
    frizzy.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 2010-01-05 18.20.27.jpg
    2010-01-05 18.20.27.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Reggie might be really helpful to naturals with sensitive scalps or frizzy twists. With this regimen I've been able to hold twists longer than 2 weeks no frizz no itch and no dryness or hassle. I'm glad I've found a few good products

Prepoo - AOJA 15-30mins
Poo - Chagrin Valley - tea tree and neem or herb garden GREAT
Conditioner - AOBGA or Aphogee 2min Reconstructor
AFTERWASH
teatree jojoba and grapseed oil on scalp (only a few drops of teatree) massage on scalp
to hair ONLY add some type of leave in conditioner right now garnier sleek and shine then twist
spray greg juice AFTER twisting
smooth on MELTED unrefined shea butter I stress melted or whipped because if its not it will cake up on me ewwww
then seal with doo gro without mineral oil or set it free moisture lock (spray in hands and smooth onto ends) if I spray it in my scalp it cakes up.
To clarify sulfateless lol giovanni teatree OR golden wheat
With sulfates - Keracare dry & itchy scalp or ors.
EVERY 3 DAYS IN THIS ORDER
Oil scalp if necessary
Spray greg juice
Smooth on Garnier or AO Calauguala leave in (SMALL AMOUNT) or your fav leave in
then smooth on melted shea or just whipped on your ends
Then shake around a little and add some sort of moisture lock like set it free.
Then shake ya head around
like a foo lol ok don't do that but it makes it fun for me. Then I tie it down, oddly enough I do all this in the morning but it works at night too. Something else

BIG TIP
If you have hardwater and your filter isn't getting it and acv rinses don't work try using cool water and putting something on your scalp after the conditioner is rinsed out. Hard water has a rep of giving dryness and contact dermatitis. Then handle your hair and don't go to bed with wet hair. It works for me but everyone is different. Sorry this was so long but before now I didn't have a working regimen to share I went basically 2 years not knowing about natural products or how to care for my hair, 1 year ignoring my hair while it itched like crazy and shedded, and 1 year searching for the right products with hits and misses, now it's almost my 5 year hair bday and I'm getting it together, thank the Lord because I was about to become a full blown pj lol check the use ur stash post for proof lol anyway good luck ladies pics soon.

tonight im going to moisturize with qhemet biologics heavy cream. ive had it for a while and its just sitting there lol so i will get some use out of it tonight.

Yummmy those products look so dang good!!! I haven't bought anything in awhile but a lot of those are ones I've been eyeballing!!! I need to go thru this thread Im so behind on here because I havent had a computer for awhile. My routine is very simple but never the same. Since Im in the twist for growth challenge my hair is in twist 90 something % of the time. I love twist and I am retaining from it tremendously. So for that I keep my routine very simple. I mostly co-wash daily and use coconut oil on my hair before I go to bed and after I wash my hair. Ive only trimmed once since my BC in June and it was more of just a dusting while in twist. I try to henna when I can which is now monthly or more. Havent used heat on my hair since last Jan 09! I luv the ease of my hair.
These products will never fail you, I promise. I will never be without them, they are simply that good.
how on earth did I let this thread get past me?? sheesh.. I'll go back and read..

As far as my hair goes,I am experiencing a little more breakage then last yr (didn't experience any really). I think it's the fact I introduced protein back into my reggie ,as I use to do it sparingly before. Also, i've been dC'n a lot more then my once a week usual. I think i'ma cut that back to my once a week dc and eliminate the protein and see if that helps. I dont want any set backs or surprises when I straigthen my hair in FEB. I want to be past SL dangit!!
Some naturals are very sensitive to protein. Maybe you need to get a milder protein and use it less often, just to keep the protein moisture balance.
I use AO GPB, sometimes I use it weekly and I don't have any issues with it. ORS hair mayo is good too, but they started putting Mineral oil in it so I kicked it to the curb.

I have the habit of fixing things that are not broken too. Its a bad habit, thank goodness for my hair's resiliency.

My reggie is pretty simple. I wash with CD's Tui Shampoo, condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, then detangle and apply leave-in. (Either Giovanni's Direct or Kinky Curly Knot Today).

I do my braid or twist out with shea butter or coconut oil, sometimes I add gel for hold (IC Fantasia or Kinky Curly Curling Custard). Usually I do two rows of flat twists in the front and put the back in 4 or 6 big braids.

In the morning when my hair is fully dry I unbraid it. Then I style my hair according to the tightness of the curl and amount of frizz. Sometimes I do a puff, southern tease bun, fro hawk, etc...

At night I either put it in several big twists or put it in a high puff. Then I cover with a satin scarf. In the morning I fluff and style.
Your hair is so beautiful, WOW.:grin:

Back