NATURAL SUPPORT THREAD 2010:STYLES,REGGIES,PRODUCTS AND RANDOM STUFF!

BrownEyez I LOVE your protective style! How did you do it?

Thank you, I got the style from this video, she has a tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSEGh5SbQc

I used a 2 ouchless headbands, the kind you can double and the thicker kind and bobbipins. I made a puff with the kind you can double and just went around in a circle pinning the ends under. I also slathered moisturizer on them before pinning. You should have a piece left in the middle, I pinned it down last.

I did mine on 2-3rd day lightly blown out hair. It was easier to manipulate, but I think a airdryed stretched hair would work just as well. I have more pics in my progress album. It is also a very quick style 8mins or less if your hair is stretched.

I wore this style for about a week, but I did repin the back balls/puffs because they got smashed as I slept.

Last edited:
OK can somebody tell me what's in this 'Sitrinillah' stuff, where its from and your experiences with it? I keep seeing the name pop up. Mini-PJ slip, hope I don't regret asking...

I think I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing, plus more deep conditioning, since that's where I am slacking off.

More cleansing with sisyphus spina christi and clay.
Keep on cleansing with Theraneem soap and use my existing conditioners - the ones with an excellent moisture/protein mix that nourish my hair.
Find even more ways to moisturize my hair on wash day to keep multiple day wash an gos hydrated.
More dry twisting using creamy products on my ends (Afroveda curly pudding, Curl Junkie Honey Butta leave in, Botanical Spirits Kinky Coils pudding), and Devacurl Set it Free on the hair. My hair loves this method.

Commit to using up products before buying more. I tend to hoard a 1/3 bottle of whatever and buy more.

The only new tool I want is a steamer.

Continue to grow my love for my hair and share that acceptance and love with others.

OK can somebody tell me what's in this 'Sitrinillah' stuff, where its from and your experiences with it? I keep seeing the name pop up. Mini-PJ slip, hope I don't regret asking...
It's a really thick and creamy, amazing natural DC made by Hairveda. I just tried it for the first time two days ago and I'm in Love..

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]Ingredients:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans-serif]Water, Coconut oil, Castor Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, SterylAlcohol, Stearakloniun Chloride, Dimethyl Stearamine, Orange oil, Orange Extract, Vanilla Extracts, Lactic Acid, Germall Plus, Fragrance. 16oz. jar.

http://hairveda.com/condish.aspx
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Just got through putting my hair into 10 flat twists for a twist out. This time instead of going straight back I parted down the middle and twisted the front half horizontally and the back vertically, AND I used my mixed up leave in spray (Aphogee pro vitamin/water/aussie hair insurance/EVCO) and Pump It Up Foaming Wrap Lotion to twist. In the morning I'm gonna lightly spritz them with Aveeno Nourish+Condition leave in then untwist with hot six oil.

Oh yea...I decided I don't need to buy an expensive hair steamer. I just wet a washcloth and put that on my head before the shower cap and then sit under the dryer for 30 minutes and I can see the steam when I take it off. I'm rambling but people in my real life aren't as gung ho about hair as I am so please forgive me lol.

I dream of Mandy4610 being my 'loose hair' stylist... :)
Awww, you made my day! My DH keeps telling me that I have some skills and I need to put them to work by styling other people's hair. The problem is that, the styles just come to me. I touch my hair, I start to run mu fingers in it and voila, I have a style. Thats what I love about being natural:grin:

I ordered some on Nov 30 and I am still waiting for it:wallbash: I can't wait to try it, I only bought one but the more I read about it the more I think I should have bought six :look:

Ok, so I examined my ends today and realized that I had a few split ends, these darn single strand knots are making my ends split. Looks like I have to dust my ends every 3-4 months.
I self dusted/trimmed and it was the best self dusting ever because it was so fast, took me about 30min excluding the time it took me to twist my hair before dusting.
I prepooed with Vatika frosting and then decided to make a concoction for DCing.:nono:
When will I learn that mixology is just not my thing? Thank goodness my hair is strong and forgiving.

Lessons learned today:
1. Single strand knots can cause split ends, for this reason, I will be avoiding wash and goes (WnG causes the hair to hug each other, which causes SSK) and I will dust more regularly
2. If it is not broken, don't fix it. I have tried several times to use homemade DCs and moisturizers and my hair does not like that. It likes natural products that other people make:rolleyes:...the Diva!!!
3. Detangling with AO HSR and a Suave+Water spray is the best discovery ever. I tried to detangle without the AO HSR and it was not fun, but the Suave still came through for me.

I'm really hoping I don't like this Aveeno leave-in cuz if i do I'm going back and buying every bottle that's left lol. I just bought 2 bottles of HE LTR leave-in that i didn't need...Lord help me lol.

Natural checking in!

I've been natural since 2005. I did the big chop and was left with less than 1/2 an inch of hair. Now, my hair is grazing armpit length. It has been this length for quite some time due to trims. I just recently got a trim yesterday because my hair was severely split. Last year and this year, I started blowdrying and straightening my hair with heat more often. Even though I got my hair nice and straight, I believe it led to splits and unseen breakage, keeping my hair the same length.

For the 2010 year, I'm going to avoid blowdrying and straightening my hair with heat. The trim got rid of most of the splits (I have a section of splits at the crown of my head. No matter how much I trim it, the strands in that section are still split. They're split from almost root to tip). So I'm going to take extra care of that section. I'm also going to avoid combing and brushing my hair when it is dry. During wash day, I will wait to detangle after shampooing and conditioning when I'm out of the shower and ready to style my hair.

This will be my style, regimen, and products:

STYLE: variations of a curly fro

REGIMEN: Wash and condition my hair every 1-2 weeks. After washing and conditioning my hair, I will apply leave-in and oil, and then detangle my hair in 6 sections with a Denman brush and two-strand twist each of the 6 sections one at a time and wrap those twists around flexirods. Once dry, I will take out the flexirods and unravel the twists, then fluff into the shape I want and go. At night, I will loosely pile my curls on top of my head and wear a scarf or satin bonnet over my head, or I will retwist with leave-in and oil, and apply the flexirods to each section.

PRODUCTS: Right now, I have Mane N Tail Shampoo, Conditioner, and Detangler. My hair does not agree with these products at all. I decided to try them after running out of products and seeing a few raves online. I'm going to discontinue using these products and use the following:

Aussie Moist Shampoo (I want to buy this. Haven't tried it yet)
Aussie Moist Conditioner (I already have this. I use it as a leave-in)
Oil (Right now I have Africa's Best Herbal Oil)

That's it. I have a few other products but do not really use them.

I was hoping for brastrap length by the end of this year, but it did not happen. Now I hope to reach brastrap length by the end of 2010. Wish me the best!

I started blowdrying and straightening my hair with heat more often. Even though I got my hair nice and straight, I believe it led to splits and unseen breakage, keeping my hair the same length.

For the 2010 year, I'm going to avoid blowdrying and straightening my hair with heat.

Girl this is my story, this is my song! :lol: I just dusted my hair to get rid of tree branch split ends because of heat abuse. It was my first really serious dusting - when I was done I had a similar amount of hair in my hand that I would have from detangling after a couple of weeks or more, that hurt :(

In 2010 I will listen to my hair when it says 'if you keep blowdrying me I'ma make you pay!' :lachen: But for real though, heat 3 times in the new year, MAX. Lord help me to honour that one.

Last edited:
I'm natural and did my BC at the beginning of November this year but I have yet to do any twists or braidouts due to lack of skill :look: Are there any videos that I can look at to help?

By the way, are ya'll joining Bootcamp next year? I'm not usually great with official board challenges, but I think I need this one in my life :yep:

Awww, you made my day! My DH keeps telling me that I have some skills and I need to put them to work by styling other people's hair. The problem is that, the styles just come to me. I touch my hair, I start to run mu fingers in it and voila, I have a style. Thats what I love about being natural:grin:

I ordered some on Nov 30 and I am still waiting for it:wallbash: I can't wait to try it, I only bought one but the more I read about it the more I think I should have bought six :look:

I love your retro braided bun with the brown flower. I might have to copy that one.

Before I learned how to flat twist I used 2 strands for my twist outs and when I did do flat twists I just did them for practice. Search on YouTube, there are tons of natural hair videos there and a lot of ladies here have tutorials in their Fotkis and blogs.

By the way, are ya'll joining Bootcamp next year? I'm not usually great with official board challenges, but I think I need this one in my life :yep:

I am! The longest my hair has gotten without a bump in the healthy hair road (BCing or relaxing lol) was APL but even then there was a bump involved because I relaxed after being natural for 2 years and my ends were split and thin due to neglect so I reveled in APL glory for like 1 day lol. Now I'm going back to my roots, no relaxers, no dye and simple hair care practices and I'm determined to be at least grazing APL in 2010!

Natural checking in!

I've been natural since 2005. I did the big chop and was left with less than 1/2 an inch of hair. Now, my hair is grazing armpit length. It has been this length for quite some time due to trims. I just recently got a trim yesterday because my hair was severely split. Last year and this year, I started blowdrying and straightening my hair with heat more often. Even though I got my hair nice and straight, I believe it led to splits and unseen breakage, keeping my hair the same length.

For the 2010 year, I'm going to avoid blowdrying and straightening my hair with heat. The trim got rid of most of the splits (I have a section of splits at the crown of my head. No matter how much I trim it, the strands in that section are still split. They're split from almost root to tip). So I'm going to take extra care of that section. I'm also going to avoid combing and brushing my hair when it is dry. During wash day, I will wait to detangle after shampooing and conditioning when I'm out of the shower and ready to style my hair.

This will be my style, regimen, and products:

STYLE: variations of a curly fro

REGIMEN: Wash and condition my hair every 1-2 weeks. After washing and conditioning my hair, I will apply leave-in and oil, and then detangle my hair in 6 sections with a Denman brush and two-strand twist each of the 6 sections one at a time and wrap those twists around flexirods. Once dry, I will take out the flexirods and unravel the twists, then fluff into the shape I want and go. At night, I will loosely pile my curls on top of my head and wear a scarf or satin bonnet over my head, or I will retwist with leave-in and oil, and apply the flexirods to each section.

PRODUCTS: Right now, I have Mane N Tail Shampoo, Conditioner, and Detangler. My hair does not agree with these products at all. I decided to try them after running out of products and seeing a few raves online. I'm going to discontinue using these products and use the following:

Aussie Moist Shampoo (I want to buy this. Haven't tried it yet)
Aussie Moist Conditioner (I already have this. I use it as a leave-in)
Oil (Right now I have Africa's Best Herbal Oil)

That's it. I have a few other products but do not really use them.

I was hoping for brastrap length by the end of this year, but it did not happen. Now I hope to reach brastrap length by the end of 2010. Wish me the best!
Thank you for this post. Now I am rethinking the idea of blowdrying my hair more often to keep single strand knots at bay. Maybe I will stick to stretching my hair with braids after detangling.

Last edited:
I'm doing a pony puff this week cause I'm too tired from digging my car out to want to twist it up. I'll probably henna this week too I find it therapeutic.

I want to try a new moisturizing deep conditioner. What do you ladies recommend?

I've been rotating between Sitrinillah and Banana Burlee with add ins but I don't want my hair to get too used to them and they stop working. You know?

TIA

Lessons learned today:
1. Single strand knots can cause split ends

*spits out food*

What?! How??

I always thought that it kinda stopped splits from traveling further up the shaft. Like the end can't split past the knot. Not that I like them or find them to be good for the hair. I find that they are a weak point in the hair strand. Sometimes lint/shed hair gets wrapped around them too.

*spits out food*

What?! How??

I always thought that it kinda stopped splits from traveling further up the shaft. Like the end can't split past the knot. Not that I like them or find them to be good for the hair. I find that they are a weak point in the hair strand. Sometimes lint/shed hair gets wrapped around them too.

Oh yes, those bastids cause split ends :wallbash: The point where the hair knots is extremely weak. Once the knots break those ends will split :wallbash:

WARNING: DO NOT RIP OUT THE KNOTS. YOU WILL GET SPLIT ENDS :wallbash:

I've been natural since 2/8 2008. Right now my regimen is to wash once per week and rollerset. I make sure that when I rollerset, I get the ends really straight. Now that my hair isn't longer, cowashing everyday is feasible :nono:

As a natural I've learned that old fashioned grease is not always the devil :blush:
I have to detangle when I wear my hair curly.
Not paying attention to your ends will cause set backs :wallbash:

Last edited:
How can you tell if you have SSK?

It's easier to tell when the hair is straightened. They will feel like bumps on the ends. I hate the feeling of knots so I always cut them out. Also they tend to snag on clothing and wrap around other hairs.

Thank you for this post. Now I am rethinking the idea of blowdrying my hair more often to kit single strand knots at bay. Maybe I will stick to stretching my hair with braids after detangling.

Have you ever tried blowing your hair out on cool? It gets your hair dry just as fast as heat, just minus the heat.

My regimen

Deep condition weekly(I have a couple of different DCs, I change up so my hair doesn't get used to anything). I use Elasta QP DPR 11, Crece Pelo Conditioner, Miss Key).

Shampoo monthly with ORS Aloe Shampoo

CO wash twice weekly with random conditioners(Loreal, Tigi, Giovanni SAS)

Flat Iron rarely(3 times monthly)

Wear hair either in wash n gos, twists or cornrows

Moisturize every other day
\
Sleep on Satin Cap

Trim when I straighten

Henna once a month

This is a really good thread.

My regimen:

I wash with a chagrin valley shampoo bar once a week. I follow with an ACV rinse and DC with either AOHSR or AOWC. Then I use an TW bodifying mist, an afroveda butter and Qhemet amla and olive heavy cream in my hair. I sit under my dryer with my hair loose to dry it and then I pull it back in a very loose ponytail to sleep.

In the middle of the week, I use a light protein, most often AOGBP and then DC with banana brulee. I then follow the same routine for styling and drying.

I use cassia every other week and clarify with elucence once a month. I usually wear my hair in a bun or ponytail.

Back