NATURAL SUPPORT THREAD 2010:STYLES,REGGIES,PRODUCTS AND RANDOM STUFF!

i've been researching texlaxing like crazy and i even had a dream that i texlaxed and was at SL.....but i dont think i'm gonna do it. the grass isnt always greener on the other side.

I think I have officially fallen in love with serums. For the past 2 days I've been sealing with Fantasia IC Hair Polisher and my braid outs come out so soft and fluffy. When I touch my hair I don't pull back an oil slick lol and it was super easy to detangle before my wash session tonight. Tonight was my first time using it on wash day and detangling each section before braiding was a breeze and my ends felt smoother than they've ever felt when I was sealing with oil. I'm not worried about the cone buildup because I shampoo 2 sometimes 3 times a week, but I think I'm gonna develop another impulse shopping habit cuz serum is my new baby daddy lol!

Hey Girls, how are you doing?
I am hanging in there. Things are still crazy for me but I do have some hair pics to share and I also wanted to say that I will be doing an update soon, because............................March 15 will be my 2yr anniversary.
I can't believe it! I will do an update thread and show yall where I started as well as how much growth I have had over the last 3 months(my last update was 3 months ago).

For now, here are some styles I have played with lately.
DSC06343.jpg

DSC06325.jpg

DSC06365.jpg

DSC06286.jpg

DSC06278.jpg

Last edited:
i missed this thread, glad it was bumped.

i made an appointment today to get some color done next weekend at an aveda salon. i cant wait.
other than that i have just been enjoying my hair. my only problem is that my hair has been too soft for the past 2 days. but i did protein 3 days ago. so tomorrow im going to co wash with protein, and if i have enough time before i do that i will pre co wash with a mix of ORS mayo, an egg and some wheat germ oil.
this weekend i may also do an aphogee treatment to make sure my hair is strong before the color treatment the following week.

right now i am in lovewith qhemet heavy cream. i mean i really love it. i used that mixed with the detangling ghee to do braid outs and they come out perfect everytime.

also if you ladies are interested in miss jessies but dont have the money the best alternative is ORS smooth and hold pudding. it is amazing. it is the same texture as the curly meringue, it smells yummy, and it has a very nice light hold. i dont like strong holds so this is great for me.

I've decided to go back to daily co-washing *sigh* My face cannot handle all of the excess oil that my scalp produces. I don't understand because I wash my face at least twice a day :(

i mix a little wheat germ oil in my conditioners here and there but honestly i cant say i see a benifit or difference in my hair.

thanks for bumping this great thread!

I found a routine that works with me. Simple wash with coconut chagrin valley soap or silicon mix and conditioned with silicon mix or suave mised with honey followed with shea moisture leave in conditioner twisted with shea butter. Took me two years to figure this out.. oh well. It's working great for me.

I also find that keeping my hair twisted is best.

my regime has changed since wearing wigs...i plan to keep doing this until summer or later

detangle & henna 1x a month

moisturize day and night

co wash 2-3x a week

my hair is still in the twists i did on sunday using the qhemet soft hold gel and heavy cream. my hair is still soft and moisturized but i am thinking about trying to wear a twist out tomorrow. my only problem is that i dont know how to get second day hair and i was really not wanting to do my hair again until friday or saturday.

my hair is still in the twists i did on sunday using the qhemet soft hold gel and heavy cream. my hair is still soft and moisturized but i am thinking about trying to wear a twist out tomorrow. my only problem is that i dont know how to get second day hair and i was really not wanting to do my hair again until friday or saturday.

If you cowash or dampen your twists, allow them to dry, then take them down your twistout should last a long time.

If you cowash or dampen your twists, allow them to dry, then take them down your twistout should last a long time.
thank you, thats something im gonna try.

i ended up co washing with giovanni and wearing a high puff. i used aveda be curlly curl enhancer and qhemet gel. my hair is very soft with just these two products, im surprised. anyway i love wearing a wash&go and puff esp. since its getting hot but i have a strong urge to wear ps now:perplexed. i hate protective styles but something is urging me to put in more twists and leave them there. we'll see.

Mandy you have some awesome style, I'm new natural this year and got to try these. I have yet to like the twist/braidouts but these will fit as I learn.

Subbing to this thread!
I'm transitioning and I love the styles! I'm checking out the Cinna-bun tutorials on you-tube now! :lol:
I'm currently in my crochet braid style and it's week 1 almost over for this install and I'm thinking of other pretty natural styles I can do om my transitioning hair (I was texlaxed for 1.5 yrs so my hair is now thicke looking above the NG already for most of its length!)
I'll be uploading my styling practices on here over the weekend, by God's grace!

I forgot alllllllllll about this thread :S

Mandy your styles are gorge!

I've been crazy lazy with my hair.. just cowashing, moisturising and puffing/bunning.. I forgot all about sealing, acv, amla.. I need to sort myself out

I never saw this thread! wow!

My staples are:

Aloe Vera juice and gels
coconut oil
Caramel treatments

and... I make my own condishes.

I always pre-poo - shampoo - post poo - and I either twist or braid my hair with one of my leave ins...unless I am flat ironing.

My hair is usually in the style in my siggy... but - I am considering a change.............

Newbie subscribing here...

I've been natural 21 months... I did the weave and braids thing for 18-19 months. January 2010 was my first attempt at a "regimen"

I wash every 7 days...I co wash (rarely) and add protein as needed.

Shampoo:
Creme of Nature
Giovanni 50:50 (just purchased...will use for the 1st time tonight)
Joico Kpax Shampoo (Add to other shampoo's if I need a lil' protein)

Conditioners:
ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak
Joico Kpax Conditioner (added to other conditioners if I need protein)
Silk Elements Luxury Moisturizing Conditioner
Kenra Moisturizing COnditioner (Wish List...is cone free)

***Co-wash is usually a mix of the Silk Elements and an oil, joico as needed***

Leave-in for styling:
Cantu Shea Butter Cream Leave in Condish
HE LTR Leave In Conditioner (use on my ends almost every night)

Oils: (used for sealing, or adding to shampoos or conditioners as needed)
Jojoba Oil
EVOO
Carol's Daughter Lisa's Hair Elixr (Mix of Almond, jojoba, and other oils)

Other/Miscellaneous:

Joico Split End Mender to put on my ends
Lemon Essential Oil (Organic, all natural)
Peppermint Essential Oil (Organic all Natural)
Organic Vegetable Glycerin (for my homeade spray)

ACV (Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar)...I do this every wash day (but not for co-washes). I am addicted to this stuff, and I love how clean my hair gets.....

Homemade moisturizing spray for wash n go's or twisting dry hair that needs to be wet a little

A few drops of the above essential oils
3/4 C Distilled Water
1 tsp of vegetable glycerin or conditoner of your preference
shake and spray as needed.

I like these posts...very inspirational!:yep:

Last edited:
I am glad someone bumped this bc I totally forgot about it! I really dont have staples except for Aussie Moist Products other than that it all depends on what I fell like using or trying out! (Product Junkie) The photo in my siggy is my 1st twistout and the second photo is a headband pushed to the side!

Attachments

• 26419_1331993374040_1057174372_31024863_1957836_n.jpg
    26419_1331993374040_1057174372_31024863_1957836_n.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 26419_1331993414041_1057174372_31024864_770587_n.jpg
    26419_1331993414041_1057174372_31024864_770587_n.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 27
just wanted yall to know that i did co wash for 10 minutes with miss jessies sweetback treatment and i love it. im gonna continue to use it to see if i get the same or better results. if i do then it will be a repurchase.

also i was gonna cancel my appointment with aveda but i think im gonna keep it. i really want color so im going for that on saturday. and April makes a year ive been natural. i havent had a trim yet so i MIGHT get one. then again i might wait for that and do it myself.

Did a trim, first one in 3 months. Not much damage to correct but my ends DO look and feel better now. I also stopped being lazy and did a steam treatment for 30 minutes and idk what i was talkin about before but there is clearly a difference in how my hair feels when I steam it as opposed to sitting with a shower cap on. Made some sulfur oil to use as a pre poo growth aid, but I'm gonna let it marinate and use it on my next wash day.

I've incorporated moraccan oil (the hair oil) into my regimen. One of the best things I've ever done for my hair. It feels like cotton candy and I'm in love. My hair has been soft all day. I just rebraided it and I had no problem with my brush or anything. For my hair it's everything it was hyped up to be.

I've also decided that I'm not going to do trims anymore. Just dusts. I found splits up my shaft; how the heck am I supposed to trim that with regular trims at the bottom of my hair? I'd rather take my time and go through my hair cutting them away. It's more thorough and I'm not cutting just for the sake of cutting seeing as my hair doesn't grow in evenly and I'm not looking for a shape at this point.

I do the method that Traycee from Kiss does. I twirl my hair clockwise and counter and cut going along the twirl. Much better results.

Hey Ladies, I started an update thread, in case you have not seen it yet here is the link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=453322
I am glad someone bumped this bc I totally forgot about it! I really dont have staples except for Aussie Moist Products other than that it all depends on what I fell like using or trying out! (Product Junkie) The photo in my siggy is my 1st twistout and the second photo is a headband pushed to the side!
Love those styles and beautiful, healthy, full head of hair!

I've incorporated moraccan oil (the hair oil) into my regimen. One of the best things I've ever done for my hair. It feels like cotton candy and I'm in love. My hair has been soft all day. I just rebraided it and I had no problem with my brush or anything. For my hair it's everything it was hyped up to be.

I've also decided that I'm not going to do trims anymore. Just dusts. I found splits up my shaft; how the heck am I supposed to trim that with regular trims at the bottom of my hair? I'd rather take my time and go through my hair cutting them away. It's more thorough and I'm not cutting just for the sake of cutting seeing as my hair doesn't grow in evenly and I'm not looking for a shape at this point.

I do the method that Traycee from Kiss does. I twirl my hair clockwise and counter and cut going along the twirl. Much better results.
I need to get my hands on this Moroccan oil. I have been hearing about it everywhere. Where do you buy it from?
Also where can I find the method of dusting that you are talking about? I need to dust more often and I am not gonna be trimming for some time either.

im so tempted to purchase the qhemet brbc. when i used it before it did nothing for me but it was cold then and i was in love with the AOHC. so im wondering if the brbc will be better for my summer twists. i would hate to get a sample, wait for it, love it and then have to wait all over again for a big jar.

my hair has been in twists all week, i plan on taking them out on friday or saturday night. the only thing i have been doing to them is putting coconut oil or vatika frosting on it every other day.
im tempted to take them out and co wash and pre co wash with coconut oil.

I'm feeling a little down. It seems that every time I try a natural style, it looks bad on me. Twists are the only thing that look ok. It's a little disheartening that every single "out" style looks bad, twistouts are laughable (I get definition, but it emphasizes thinness), braidouts are just a mess, my afro has weird holes and non-dense parts in it, lol. I mean I guess this is great for protective styling, but I wonder how girls get so much volume from their out hair. Maybe it is just length...

Girl this is my story, this is my song! :lol: I just dusted my hair to get rid of tree branch split ends because of heat abuse. It was my first really serious dusting - when I was done I had a similar amount of hair in my hand that I would have from detangling after a couple of weeks or more, that hurt :(

In 2010 I will listen to my hair when it says 'if you keep blowdrying me I'ma make you pay!' :lachen: But for real though, heat 3 times in the new year, MAX. Lord help me to honour that one.
Yeah, I feel you. :cry4:

And guess what? :look:
:seesaw:
I decided to play with fire again TWICE this year and ended up with split ends AGAIN! :couchfire:
So just a couple of days ago, I sectioned my hair and trimmed about an inch off each section. This time, FOR REAL for real, I'm going to stay away from heat. Those two times I did it this year turned me off from even straightening my natural hair again for a long time. Now, reaching my length goal is more important.

Right now, my hair is in two little Princess Leia buns. For the rest of this year, I will be alternating between wearing buns, flexirod curly fros, and afro puffs. I want to be BSL by the end of 2010.

I'm feeling a little down. It seems that every time I try a natural style, it looks bad on me. Twists are the only thing that look ok. It's a little disheartening that every single "out" style looks bad, twistouts are laughable (I get definition, but it emphasizes thinness), braidouts are just a mess, my afro has weird holes and non-dense parts in it, lol. I mean I guess this is great for protective styling, but I wonder how girls get so much volume from their out hair. Maybe it is just length...

Don't feel down. It can get that way sometimes especially when a style like twistouts or braidouts don't turn out the way you want them to turn out. Then you have to go through trying to find another quick style to do in the meantime since the initial style didn't work out. And I think a lot of it has to do with different hair lengths all over your hair when it comes to how your style will turn out looking.

Have you tried using flexirods or perm rods for your twistouts? They can help with more curl and volume. Also, when you do an afro, try massaging your scalp to get rid of those holes or parts, and make sure you fluff it out evenly.

And if all else fails, stick with twists. If you get bored with them, there's always different ways to style twists.

Hope that helps!

Back