my soul wont burn

Avyn

I teach small children and a few months ago one of my caucasian boys proclaimed his love for one of my african american girls (they think I don't know). So today he was sitting behind her, playing in her hair and smiling and whatnot...and I thought to myself, who cares what color these kids are? They clearly don't have mental barriers related to color and love and what its sposed to look like. MLK's dream has become a reality, who am I to impose my limited, segregated upbringing on others?

Last year was my 1st year teaching nonblack students and I was so indignant abt the fact that some kids didn't know who MLK was and that most of the black kids in my class won't ever know what it feels like to live in a black community and be surrounded by people that look like them and that our race is suffering and these interracial couples are adding to the already dwindling black population and culture on and on....and even though I value my black experience and love our culture, today I found a reason to be more open and appreciative of the fact that one's color is not a prerequisite for love.
Not that my soul was in flames but I have felt a twinge of something when I see so many of our men with nonblack women. I'm kind of glad that a lot of children won't be subject to racial barriers to love.

i'm glad that you had this revelation. while obviously it is key to appreciate the black culture and experience because that is our background, what makes us who we are, and what we know, love is love. when you eliminate entire groups of people, you are closing off millions of possibilities. i mean, really, who knows?

I can't wait to move to place like this!!:yep: I'm so ready to leave where I am now.

I teach small children and a few months ago one of my caucasian boys proclaimed his love for one of my african american girls (they think I don't know). So today he was sitting behind her, playing in her hair and smiling and whatnot...and I thought to myself, who cares what color these kids are? They clearly don't have mental barriers related to color and love and what its sposed to look like. MLK's dream has become a reality, who am I to impose my limited, segregated upbringing on others?

Last year was my 1st year teaching nonblack students and I was so indignant abt the fact that some kids didn't know who MLK was and that most of the black kids in my class won't ever know what it feels like to live in a black community and be surrounded by people that look like them and that our race is suffering and these interracial couples are adding to the already dwindling black population and culture on and on....and even though I value my black experience and love our culture, today I found a reason to be more open and appreciative of the fact that one's color is not a prerequisite for love.
Not that my soul was in flames but I have felt a twinge of something when I see so many of our men with nonblack women. I'm kind of glad that a lot of children won't be subject to racial barriers to love.

I think this is one of the things I love most about children. They don't care about race or any of that stuff. It's the adults in their lives that *** that up.

Back