My family hates my natural hair

Well, as a fellow Native woman of similar descent, I'd say....STAND. I want others reading this email to know that not all Lumbee people are this way. And there are plenty of Lumbees who have kinky hair. Whether they are enrolled or not, well, that's another story. But Black intermingling with Indians is nothing new....it was the first encounter here. So, back to the OP, do YOU. If you cave, some other kid in future will have to deal with the same. We have to pave paths to change and the only way to do that is to be proud of who you are. BTW, a mother hitting her child in the face for any reason...THAT'S NOT NATIVE!!! :yep::yep: If she didn't want a kinky-haired child, then why marry a kinky haired Lumbee man? Honey, you are more majestic than the coveted buffalo. Think Buffalo Calf Woman, symbol of us all via the Lakota. You are beautiful.

If, in fact, this was a troll thread, there are probably lurkers who absolutely ARE dealing with this issue. This post is for them. :yep:

yup agree especially with the bolded

You and your hair are gorgeous. Like with everything, it will take time to get used to something different. Stick to your guns, even if your family is opposed. They can't live your life for you and if you do give in, you may lose respect for yourself.:ohwell: I think your hair is gorgeous, but you have to believe that, too.:yep:

I'm newish to this forum and haven't seen a reaction like this before. Kinda scary and disappointing.

I transitioned about 2.5 years ago and caught a LOT of flak, especially in the short awkward hair days. Black women still to this day approach me to tell me allll about how/why they'll never go natural. Blah to all of them. Somewhere out there, a newer natural is looking to you as inspiration.

As your hair gets longer, you will hopefully have perfected the regimen that works for you. Since I henna, I use conditioner by the bucketful. So I cowash with VO5, which costs 50 cents at Woodman's. That way when I use a ton, I'm not bankrupting myself.

What else? Keep a hair diary. Take lots of pics of your hair. And try ONE product at a time. Otherwise you'll end up with a closet full of products. And don't ask me how I know that. ;-)

Also, whenever I feel like perming my hair, I do a long-term protective style, like micro braids, to give myself a break. You can flat-iron it, wig it, weave it, whatever. Just don't ever make a rash decision when you're having a bad hair day. And you WILL have bad hair days! lol

And follow Naptural on YouTube!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back