May 2015 Hits & Misses

Hit:
Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Treat Conditioner to detangled and as a leave-in to define curls post wash
QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee to detangle dry hair

Note on the QB CTDG: while I did try this on wet hair as well and it worked, the Trader joes conditioner worked better on wet hair to detangle, especially considering how much you have to use and the price. Trader Joes TTTT provided more slip and created great curl definition which for me aids in how little I have to detangle the next wash day.

HIT:
Aphogee 2 Step mixed with Neutral Protein Filler - My hair was immediately incredibly strong, no breakage. Wonderful!
Jessicurl Too Shea - Excellent DC, very moisturizing. There is definitely a trend in the DCs I love and their first five ingredients
Lustrasilk Curl Max Activator - My hair is super soft, I will give it some time to see if it can be a good replacement for S-Curl.

Continued HIT:

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo: This is the most moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo out! And it's only 4 dollars.

Hit: Macadamia oil deep conditioner. It was pretty good. Normally for my deep conditioner to do anything to my hair (low porosity) I have to spend 30 min minimum under a dryer. With this I simply applied it to my hair, put on a cap, continued my shower and in 7-10 minutes I too the cap of and my hair was pretty manageable.

Hit: Soultanicals kids line Kiddietanicals shampoo
http://www.soultanicals.com/flower-power-hair-shower/

It's pretty expensive at $15/bottle, compared to my staple TJ's Nourish Spa which is only $3, but it seems like it will last a long time. If I were to just use it on my daughter's hair it would probably last like 40 washes. With us sharing, it still should give both of us weekly washes for 2-3 months. So little was needed. Cleans without stripping

Miss: Willie Morrow unbreakable comb. The teeth are too close together for my liking. And I don't know if I just didn't get the right ring for proper tightness on my blow dryer (Yellowbird), but air was coming out the back of the ring back up the handle.

Last edited:
Hit: QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee as a detangler and leave in conditioner
I detangled with it on Sunday and my hair has been soft all week. It was kinda greasy though bc I used a lot, I was gonna wash it out but got lazy.
Anyway, I really like it and I am gonna try it on freshly washed hair and see how that works.

Continued HIT
SSI Cranberry Cream Cocktail
That stuff leaves my hair incredibly soft and very moist for days....

Continued HIT
BASK Vanilla Whiskey
Nice light protein treatment.

New Hit
SM Superfruit Masque
It didn't absorb into my hair (none of the Shea moisture masqes do) but my hair felt good upon rinsing it out. Not sure how "strong" it made my hair though.

New hit: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Masque. This is my 3rd time using it and it consistently makes my hair so, so soft and it just feels like hair. I've lost less hairs with this than any of the conditioners I've been using in the past year... My hair loss wasn't massive (it was pretty regular shed hairs with few broken) but the past few times I've used it I've had about 1/3rd the amount of usual hairs when rinsing/blow drying. It's definitely a keeper for the future... I hope all the other Shea Moisture Masques work as well as this one. I gave up on them for a long time after trying that one with the gold label (Raw Shea Butter Masque) a few years ago and it made my hair so hard and dry... Glad I came back though and they made a better product.

Hit: QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee - this is a great leave in. I used it it combination with a dab of the QB aethiopika butter and my hair has been soft and neat all week. Let me stress that, soft AND neat. Usually by now my twists or braids would be fuzzy, especially with how much I workout, but they look good still. So while I will stick to only using it before washing to detangle, I will also use it as a leave in after washing or for restyling dry hair.

Last edited:
New hit: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Masque. This is my 3rd time using it and it consistently makes my hair so, so soft and it just feels like hair. I've lost less hairs with this than any of the conditioners I've been using in the past year... My hair loss wasn't massive (it was pretty regular shed hairs with few broken) but the past few times I've used it I've had about 1/3rd the amount of usual hairs when rinsing/blow drying. It's definitely a keeper for the future... I hope all the other Shea Moisture Masques work as well as this one. I gave up on them for a long time after trying that one with the gold label (Raw Shea Butter Masque) a few years ago and it made my hair so hard and dry... Glad I came back though and they made a better product.

Why must you post this?? Lol. I should've held out in the Tahitian Noni one and got this one.

Not really a miss but ORS Shealicious Moisture Mist: Had I not bought and used Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Kids' Detangler first I probably would have liked this a lot but the detangler leaves my hair softer and with more slip.

Hit: Shescentit Okra Reconstructor

Mannnnnn, I have been sleeping on this. I am LP, so I tend to stay away from most proteins, but after reading a review from another LP head, I decided to give it a try. WOW. It went on smooth, it had some slip and it left my hair feeling amazing. I did follow up with a moisturizing DC just to make sure that didn't experience protein overload. This 'hit' makes me want to try other Shescentit products, so I am hoping for a Mother's Day sale.

QUESTION: Has anyone used both the Komaza Protein and the Shescentit Reconstructor? How do they compare?

Miss: Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab

I used to love this DC as a relaxed head, but my natural hair does NOT like it. I think it may be too lightweight for my natural hair. I used it in my moisturizing spritz and it seems to work better. I won't repurchase after I use it up.

I LOVE the Reconstructor. I've figured out that I don't need hard core proteins in my Hair Care regimen, and this acts as a medium protein treatment in my hair.

Hit: Vo5 Island Coconut Conditioner

I use it for co-washing and I can feel how I leaves my hair so soft with so much slip but clean. It's really giving that Kiwi Lime a run for it's money... I'm on my last bottle of this Island Coconut but I think when I'm finished with my other VO5 conditioners I'm going to buy the Kiwi and Coconut to compare how they cleanse/make my hair feel.

Back