November 2015 : Hits & Misses

Miss: My hair
I cut it again. It's not a TWA, but I cut about an inch all over. I'm sick of my hair. I'm tired of the cottony, fine, prone to breakage wirey, kinky texture. I'm sick of not being able to retain length even though I don't heat style or manipulate my hair. I'm just tired of it. It grows slow as hell, I need to put it away ASAP.
I want to find a wig that looks natural that will fit my big head.

Rant over.
I definitely recommend just protective styling, I feel the same way when I leave my hair out for over a 2 weeks

Hit now: My Hair :lol:
Thanks for listening to my rant ladies. I twisted it and cleaned up the ends. I have a cute, dark, healthy, coily fro. I do like this length and will enjoy each stage this time around.

Other Hits:
Soultanicals Marula Melon
APB Creams
Pantene Naturals Cowash (me likey! Soft hair, great slip, huge bottle, only $4.99 at Tarjay, instant staple)

Miss:
HASK Coconut Conditioner (another Ulta Return)

On the Fence:
Kinky Kashmere DC (my hair felt...meh...it's decent enough to use up but not a repurchase)
Joico Leave In Reconstructor (I thought this was a staple but I think I was experiencing protein overload from the keratin)

Miss: Deep conditioning overnight cause it makes my scalp so doggone itchy.

Okay, glad to know I'm not the only one this doesn't work for!! I have tried the whole baggying thing, overnight DC with a shower cap/conditioning cap, and no ma'am!! It's a definite no go for me. My scalp itches like mad and I get irritated because it seems to be a hit for plenty of naturals. We each walk our own paths though.

A hit for me is Joico moisture recovery treatment balm, conditioning cap, under my hooded bonnet dryer for 30 minutes on medium speed, warm heat. My hair feels like butter afterwards and I can't keep my hands out of it! Looooove Joico! Even more so when I find it at TJ Maxx for $7.99 vs $18.99 for the exact same product at Ulta!

Mild Hit: Sofn' Free Milk Protein and Olive Oil Really Deep Conditioning Treatment

My hair feels soft and mildly moisturized. It's definitely conditioned but it has more of that "dry" soft feel to it... It's bouncy and moves well though. I might buy a tub of this next year and just keep it around in a pinch. That $1 sample had a lot in it and the tubs I see at the bss are only a few dollars.

Miss: being inspired by easy-looking tutorials and videos and failing miserably. I've decided everyone on Youtube and Pinterest has been planted to upset the style challenged.

This is what happened when I attempted to cross wrap. Bits sticking out everywhere. Fly away hairs. Front bits making a break for freedom. And I just KNOW those bobby pins are, at best, going to leave huge dents.

Grr. :badidea:

Attachments

• 20151111_222617.jpg
    20151111_222617.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hit:
Redken Hair Cleansing Cream - This clarifying/chelating shampoo is the best I've ever tried. Doesn't leave hair stripped and tangled. My curls were popping and shiny and it removed the buildup that I didn't know I had. Staple status!

Miss:

- Dark and Lovely 5 minute Total Restore Conditioning Treatment
- BB Intense Conditioner

BB made my hair tangle a bit and I tried to correct it with the Dark and Lovely... nope nope nope. More tangles. So I followed it with a hit:

- Nairobi Hydrating and Detangling Shampoo

This felt like a conditioner compared to the other two. It detangled my hair on contact and I almost felt like I didn't need to deep conditioner afterward but I'm still kind of wary of shampoos so I'm steaming now with Bigen Deep Conditioner. Will report back on that later.

Hit:
Redken Hair Cleansing Cream - This clarifying/chelating shampoo is the best I've ever tried. Doesn't leave hair stripped and tangled. My curls were popping and shiny and it removed the buildup that I didn't know I had. Staple status!
Now I really want to try this poo. Does it lather?

Miss: Bigen Deep Conditioner. Did the same pseudo-hardening that the previous two did.

I think I might just have to give up trying deep conditioners with paraffin/petroleum/petrolatum/mineral oil. Every single one of the deep conditioners I tried that was just meh/ok/bad had one of those ingredients in them (except the Lustrasilk. That had a lot of protein). I'm glad I bought all the sample packs. I would've been hella mad if I bought full sizes of these products and none of them worked.

Hit:
I'm a Redken girl as well, so will be adding this to my already long purchase list.

Not a MISS but definitely not a big HIT either: Shea Moisture Purification Masque. You know, it was just okay for me - it didn't wow me like it did so many others here. Please don't shoot me but I really was expecting more from this mask, more moisture, more slip...:ohwell:

@Aggie

SM Purification works best for me on dry/dirty hair as a Pre-Detox Treatment or a Cowash.

I have never used it to DC with. Others have though with great success.

I always use it as a Pre-Treat or a Cleansing Conditioner.

As a Cleanser for me, it's great for removing Build-Up.

As a Pre-Rx I slather it on, wrap in Saran Wrap & Plastic Cap and leave it in,

Hit: inversion method
The last two weeks have been a little stressful and I started scalp massages for the headache, then I recalled watching a young lady do the inversion method off the side of the bed. Gave it a shot and now I am hooked. Forgot to measure my hair but my curls look fuller, my hair is softer and it just feels good.

Miss: Miss Jessie curl pudding I finally pitched it, I get nice curls but it makes my hair dry and it leaves a film.
Alaffia Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel this watered down nightmare left my hair hard and frizzy

Last edited:
Back