Marital Sex Tips 1894 vs. 2008

N.P.R. Addict

Imagine a time when sex was seen as "at best revolting and at worst rather painful." According to The Sun (and well, anyone who's ever taken rudimentary history lessons), the Victorians, not exactly known for their raunchy bedroom antics, perceived a woman's um, "wifely duties" as something to abhor. Sex Tips for Husbands and Wives was penned by Ruth Smythers, a vicar's wife, in 1894. Some amazing gems:

• The wise bride will permit a maximum of two brief sexual experiences weekly — and as time goes by she should make every effort to reduce this frequency.

• A selfish and sensual husband can easily take advantage of his wife. One cardinal rule of marriage should never be forgotten: Give little, give seldom and above all give grudgingly. Otherwise what could have been a proper marriage could become an orgy of sexual lust.

• A wise wife will make it her goal never to allow her husband to see her unclothed body, and never allow him to display his unclothed body to her.

• Once in bed, the wife should turn off all the lights and make no sound to guide her husband in her direction, lest he take this as a sign of encouragement.

• When he finds her, she should lie as still as possible. Bodily motion could be interpreted as sexual excitement by the optimistic husband. Sex, when it cannot be prevented, should be practised only in total darkness.

• Clever wives are ever on the alert for new and better methods of denying and discouraging the amorous overtures of the husband. Arguments, nagging, scolding and bickering prove very effective if used in the late evening about an hour before the husband would normally commence his seduction.

• By their tenth anniversary many wives have managed to complete their child-bearing and have achieved the ultimate goal of terminating all sexual contacts with the husband.

Compare that to the lessons offered by Holly Hollenbeck, author of the 2008 book, Sex Lives of Wives:

• Exude tremendous enthusiasm for sex and have it as often as possible. Try never to say no and do not start thinking or talking about other chores or problems during it.

• Create variety — make love as a “lady” then next time, play it nasty as a “tramp”. Alternate the pace — sometimes fast and frantic, sometimes slow and romantic, using different sound effects, including sexy compliments breathlessly uttered, pleasurable moans and sighs and nasty encouragements.

• Be assertive about what you want, taking care that any ideas do not come across as criticism. Try incorporating what you would like him to do by working the suggestions into the details of a story. Describe how hot such action would make you or your character in the story feel.

• Tune in to what he loves and share it with him — if he likes watching sexy movies, suggest watching one together. Visit a bookshop and choose some erotic stories you can read to each other, surf the web with him and share “chats”.

• Venture outside the bedroom and seek unusual locations for sex. Have a mental fixation on the sensation — focus only on his and your pleasure.

• Know what turns you on — your desire will heighten his. Good things for women to try include having an ear sucked, a foot rub, leaning on a vibrating washing machine during the spin cycle and feeling the spray of a pulsating showerhead.

Damn, looks like you really have come a long way baby.

• A wise wife will make it her goal never to allow her husband to see her unclothed body, and never allow him to display his unclothed body to her.
  • Once in bed, the wife should turn off all the lights and make no sound to guide her husband in her direction, lest he take this as a sign of encouragement.
  • When he finds her, she should lie as still as possible. Bodily motion could be interpreted as sexual excitement by the optimistic husband. Sex, when it cannot be prevented, should be practised only in total darkness.

LOL :lachen::lachen::lachen: For some reason these 3 just make me laugh. I can just imagine myself lying still in the dark w/my clothed body and my husband trying to check my pulse and take me to the hospital!!! He definitely wouldn't think it was sex time if I was doing that.

LOL :lachen::lachen::lachen: For some reason these 3 just make me laugh. I can just imagine myself lying still in the dark w/my clothed body and my husband trying to check my pulse and take me to the hospital!!! He definitely wouldn't think it was sex time if I was doing that.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Is this real? :laugh: If so I can see where all those marriage stereotypes came from! Apparently they were true!

I don't know, it seems kind of fake to me. Somehow too obvious and neat. I would expect those attitudes to sex in the Victorian era, but I would expect the advice to be slightly more subtle. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to call their book "Sex Tips for Husbands and Wives" at that time. I would have to see the original manuscript to believe it.

The wise bride will permit a maximum of two brief sexual experiences weekly — and as time goes by she should make every effort to reduce this frequency.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I don't think people followed these rules though coz otherwise how'd they have all them children back then?

Now that's what I'm talking about. I don't think people followed these rules though coz otherwise how'd they have all them children back then?
perhaps this advice was for the rich women who were supposed to be refined.

Why when I first read the title, I thought it said 1984? Two years after I was born. I immediately thought of my parents.

I feel so sorry for those women. Having to wear long corsets, pantaloons, and the thing that made it look like a badonkadonk, and to have NEVER experienced an O. For shame.

Yep, the Victorians were famous for "lay still, clench your teeth and think of the country"

lol.

maybe cause there was no birth control?? i remember watching a documentary about Queen Victoria she had 9 kids and how they said she would scream and yell at her husband when he wanted to have sex, the whole palace would hear it lol then all thru her pregnancy would screech at him for giving her a fate worse than death (being pregnant)

I think i will pull thsi list out on my wedding night and let my new husband that that gravy train is long gone :lachen::lachen:

Last edited:
maybe cause there was no birth control?? i remember watching a documentary about Queen Victoria she had 9 kids and how they said she would scream and yell at her husband when he wanted to have sex, the whole palace would hear it lol then all thru her pregnancy would screech at him for giving her a fate worse than death (being pregnant)

I think i will pull thsi list out on my wedding night and let my new husband that that gravy train is long gone :lachen::lachen:

I guess if you take into account how many women died in pregnancy and labor, and how your man if you were royal or rich was likely to be banging someone else while you were pregnant, lest he "hurt" the baby...

i guess either way life sucked for you.

I guess if you take into account how many women died in pregnancy and labor, and how your man if you were royal or rich was likely to be banging someone else while you were pregnant, lest he "hurt" the baby...

i guess either way life sucked for you.

yeah i agree, that life really did suck :nono:

All I can say is you are made for the times in which you live. In other words, couldn"t have been me or some of us sistas up in here. My dh, knowing him, wouldn't care if my teeth were clenched, my clothes WERE on, or the lights WERE blinging, he still would be "checkin'" upon it. And that's the truth. LOL

yeah i agree, that life really did suck :nono:

Looking back we can say that, but since that's all they knew I doubt they were going "man this time period sucks. I wish I was born in the future..."

I bet people 2000 years from now are gonna look back and say man life sucked back then for women. :grin:

:lachen:I'm gonna practice those tips from 1894.

Lol.. You know you are going to practice the last tip for 2008. :blush:
Reading those rules made me feel sad.

Me Too.. I thought why get married.. I crave physical affection even if it is just a graze on some part of my body.

Wow, what a great way to end up divorced. :lachen:

That is what I thought...

And he will think well... Looks like I have time for an annulment... J/K

Back