Ladies who grew to APL or longer: Do your family members ask for advice now?

• Thread starter Thread starter chica_canella
  • Start date Start date
C

chica_canella

Hey, I know many of our family members may not understand about curly/kinky hair care. I know my mom used to think I was obsessed with my hair but now that she sees it growing without using a stylist 24/7 she comes and asks me little questions or listens to some of my suggestions.

So, has any of your friends or family members start asking you what you do to your hair or for any advice?

chica_canella said:
Hey, I know many of our family members may not understand about curly/kinky hair care. I know my mom used to think I was obsessed with my hair but now that she sees it growing without using a stylist 24/7 she comes and asks me little questions or listens to some of my suggestions.

So, has any of your friends or family members start asking you what you do to your hair or for any advice?

Girl my family is crazy. My twin sister is the only one who ask for advice. The rest of them think it's something in the North Carolina water. My family lives in Florida.

Keen said:
Girl my family is crazy. My twin sister is the only one who ask for advice. The rest of them think it's something in the North Carolina water. My family lives in Florida.

Are you serious? So, if I just go and stock up on some water from N.C. my hair would grow without any intentions on my end?:lachen:

That's the funniest reason of denial I've heard in a long time. Then again, it's really not. I've heard worse.:lol:

I'm not APL but my hair has progressed wonderfully with all the knowledge I learned from LHCF and BHM. My mother and sister use to laugh about my healthy hair obsession, now they ask for my advise and suggestions. :D

I told them they need some protein to strengthen their strands every once in a while, they looked like umh. My sister went to the doctor for her illness and her hair was shedding really bad, why he tell her she needed some protein, :lol: I just started laughing.

Now they listen

Only one of my co-workers ask for advice. My family just says "hair runs on your daddy side of the family, that's why it's growing like that":perplexed . My mom has 9 sisters and only one of them have hair that brushes her shoulders but it is very thin because she relaxes every four weeks.

Right now most of my fam just thinks that I'm obsessed with my hair and crazy. My mother and my aunt will ask me for hair tips sometimes but they know if they get with my routine, it's minimal to no heat and they not ready to hear that yet. I have one aunt that is as obsessed with healthy hair as me and that's my only saving factor. She actually got my hair on the right track before I found Cathy Howse's book or LHCF. I put my cousin on this website. She doesn't post much though, lol. Still lurking I guess. :lol: I wanna get my younger sister but she's too stubborn but when she sees my hair BSL next year, THEN she gonna b askin me for tips!

Last edited:
Checks TLC's siggy again....*six months to apl*

yeah right, probably more like 3 months. You look about 1.5 inches to apl if even that.

What length did you start from?

That is funny that they thought you were once too into your hair but now listen. I think seeing is def. believing.

My grandmom was like, "Girl, why do you keep wearing those braids?" "Granny, I'm trying to grow my hair out."

Grandmom: *gives unapproving look* "Oh, ok."

My grandmom is from the old school and believes if it isn't silky straight then something is wrong.

longhairluva said:
Only one of my co-workers ask for advice. My family just says "hair runs on your daddy side of the family, that's why it's growing like that":perplexed . My mom has 9 sisters and only one of them have hair that brushes her shoulders but it is very thin because she relaxes every four weeks.

Every four weeks! Are you serious? Wow! I once heard of someone relaxing EVERY week!:eek:

vivacious1083 said:
Right now most of my fam just thinks that I'm obsessed with my hair and crazy. My mother and my aunt will ask me for hair tips sometimes but they know if they get with my routine, it's minimal to no heat and they not ready to hear that yet. I have one aunt that is as obsessed with healthy hair as me and that's my only saving factor. She actually got my hair on the right track before I found Cathy Howse's book or LHCF. I put my cousin on this website. She doesn't post much though, lol. Still lurking I guess. :lol: I wanna get my younger sister but she's too stubborn but when she sees my hair BSL next year, THEN she gonna b askin me for tips!

That's funny vivacious! Your cousin better get on here and see if her regimine is on point! :lol:

So, your aunt put you on. That's good she attempted to because I'm sure to her hearing most people resisting her advice.:)

How does your younger sister resist?:look:

My family and friends are always asking what I do to my hair. My is the longest it's ever been in my adult life. Once I tell them what I do they brush it off b/c they are not willing to do everything that I do to grow my hair and make it healthly.

Wow. I guess even with seeing and believing some people don't feel it's worth making the change. In the words of Jill Scott: Everythang ain't for everybody.

but it healthy hair sure is for me.

Please, I am shoulder length and they ask for my advice! :lol:

Also, after flatironing my hair last night, I realized I my longest sections are less than an inch from shoulder blade length. :eek:

About a year ago, I was visiting my Mom and sister and I asked my Mom to braid my hair so I wouldn’t have to mess with it for a couple of days. Well as she was braiding she kept making comments about the thickness and health of my hair. After that she started asking about what I do and products etc. and then she whispered “Perhaps you can give your sister some tips”. :)

chica_canella said:
Every four weeks! Are you serious? Wow! I once heard of someone relaxing EVERY week!:eek:

Yes and so does my cousin. IF they see a small amount of new growth here comes the relaxer. And they love Pump it Up and hot curlers.

Everyone around me HATES my buns that I have been wearing everyday for 9 months. But when I took it down this weekend and relaxed EVERYONE and they mama was in my hair asking me what can they do. I just said honestly you dont want to do what I did to get to this point. When I started to tell them they just shook their heads and said never mind. My mom is very supportive of me and that is a blessing. I started off brushing my shoulders in Oct 2006. By Decemeber I will be BSL and I cant wait to swing it!!!

Cholet112 said:
Everyone around me HATES my buns that I have been wearing everyday for 9 months. But when I took it down this weekend and relaxed EVERYONE and they mama was in my hair asking me what can they do. I just said honestly you dont want to do what I did to get to this point. When I started to tell them they just shook their heads and said never mind. My mom is very supportive of me and that is a blessing. I started off brushing my shoulders in Oct 2006. By Decemeber I will be BSL and I cant wait to swing it!!!

Wow! It took you nine months to get there. Getta outa here! That's amazing. you will be bsl by december.:D

Curlirae_ great job with your hair.

honey dew-sometimes it doesn't even take them to see growth but just
looking at the overall health of the hair change. :)

longhairluva_that is really sad. I bet they don't even use a base. So sad.:(

Oh yeah and when someone asks for tips, we should say,"I don't think you are ready!" LOL

Are you ready for minimum to no heat?

Are you ready for possible protective styling?

Are you ready to use a water-based moisturizer and not grease to moisturize your hair?

Are you ready for deep conditioning?

Are you ready for stretching?

i agree, they cant handle it. i do notice that people listen longer than they used to and ask more in depth questions. what i just say now is to just make sure you deep condition and moisturize your hair. in the past when i went into a whole regimen, they always said, and i'll say it again.....I DONT HAVE TIME FOR ALL THAT!! :spinning:
so now i'm like, whatever! i'm more than happy to share what i know works for me but they dont want to receive so what can i do??

Last edited:
chica_canella said:
Are you ready for minimum to no heat?

Are you ready for possible protective styling?

Are you ready to use a water-based moisturizer and not grease to moisturize your hair?

Are you ready for deep conditioning?

Are you ready for stretching?

Honestly, I think the average person can take baby steps to get there. I think many people would start getting better with even concentrating on deep conditioning and moisturizing correctly. If they are using heat daily :eek: that would HAVE TO STOP. But smaller steps are better than none.

yeah, i agree with both of you. So what would you say are the three most important steps when seeking to grow long, healthy hair?

What are three steps we could tell people when they ask?

I would say, "Use a good water-based moisturizer over all your hair and seal with some type of oil"

2.) Deep condition once a week.

3.) Minimal to no heat and when you do use it, apply a thermal protectant.

Umm yes various people ask me for advice mostly because they like how my hair looks whether it's out or weaved or in a protective style. Then when I revealed pictures of my hair a few weeks ago online to my family and friends to advertise for my side hair business I started getting emails out of the waazooo!

One of my friends is actually my personal project to help to regrow her hair. She had a whole patch of hair drop out in the back of her head from going to the dominican salon and getting 1 blow out! It's terrible what happened to her hair, but it's definitely recoverable. She's wearing a weave that I put in right now to protect her hair. With special instructions on how to take care of it.

But yes when your hair starts to show progress people will start knocking down your door.

chica_canella said:
yeah, i agree with both of you. So what would you say are the three most important steps when seeking to grow long, healthy hair?

What are three steps we could tell people when they ask?

I would say, "Use a good water-based moisturizer over all your hair and seal with some type of oil"

2.) Deep condition once a week.

3.) Minimal to no heat and when you do use it, apply a thermal protectant.

I agree!! Also, I see many of my family members just handling their hair roughly. Yanking out kinks with the comb, brushing too hard just to get it smooth and slicked down, tangling it all up while washing all rough in the sink. :nono:

RabiaElaine said:
Umm yes various people ask me for advice mostly because they like how my hair looks whether it's out or weaved or in a protective style. Then when I revealed pictures of my hair a few weeks ago online to my family and friends to advertise for my side hair business I started getting emails out of the waazooo!

One of my friends is actually my personal project to help to regrow her hair. She had a whole patch of hair drop out in the back of her head from going to the dominican salon and getting 1 blow out! It's terrible what happened to her hair, but it's definitely recoverable. She's wearing a weave that I put in right now to protect her hair. With special instructions on how to take care of it.

But yes when your hair starts to show progress people will start knocking down your door.

From one blow out her hair came out like that? She must have fine hair.

I know one lady who started growing her hair out and then she started helping her friend. I think her name is babygurl or something like that. She is about waist length from sl and her friend is about MBL.

My hair is definately no where near APL, but it has grown and is noticably thicker. My parents think I am absolutely crazy when I talk about hair. My dad calls all the oils that I use 'snake oils' but everytime he washes his hair he is always asking for some of my snake oil to make his hair shine. My mom also thinks I'm a tad obsessed, but every once in awhile, she'll come into my bathroom to use my BT or my deep conditioners. I'm trying to get her to do a protein treatment on her hair, but she doesn't want to take the time to do it. When I told her I stopped combing my hair she almost passed out. I'm currently hiding my hair till Xmas so I can't wait to show them all my progress, maybe then they'll stop making fun of me

yes, friends and family ask me about my hair all the time. i find that most people are more interested in a miracle product than my actual regimen. My regimen is very simple i wash, deep condition and roller set weekly. that's its. I tell them what i do but they say "ok" and then ask "what do you use?" when i tell them(shampoo, conditioner and a leave in) they look at me like i'm crazy, then they ask me if i'm using doo gro, re grow or some other snake oil miracle product. I tell them no and try to explain to them that it takes a combination of products and technique, their eyes start to glaze over. most people want a quick fix.

I agree. Most people do want a quick fix. I am all for using topical growth creams or potions like BT, but there is no point if you don't know how to retain the growth. It is a never ending cycle of break, then grow, break, then grow.

My mom asks me about my hair but she knows what to do since she took really good care of my hair when I was younger. Unfortunately, my mom thinks that it's genetics for me and that I have a "good" grade of hair which is why it grows. :cool:

When I first told my mother about wanting to grow my hair out, she was like "what makes you think you can grow long hair? you ain't never had long hair. I ain't never had long hair. So, what makes you think you can grow your hair?" I told her that I just wanted to try some things differently and see how it worked out. By the time I reached APL the first time, she was takign me with her to the BSS to help her pick out products and stratching her relaxers from 4-6 weeks to 8.

My hair is kinky 4 A/B and had been natural most of my life, so why is it when my relaxed hair grew past shoulder length some of my family started saying that I must have some "indian" in my blood. They also were talking about how my mom had nice hair. Dumb people:perplexed

Last edited:
Back