Ladies who grew to APL or longer: Do your family members ask for advice now?

chica_canella said:
I agree. Most people do want a quick fix. I am all for using topical growth creams or potions like BT, but there is no point if you don't know how to retain the growth. It is a never ending cycle of break, then grow, break, then grow.

That's why I stopped using growth aids. It was doing more harm than good for me. I see more progress now that I DON'T use topical aids. interesting!

HoneyDew said:
That's why I stopped using growth aids. It was doing more harm than good for me. I see more progress now that I DON'T use topical aids. interesting!

That's interesting. I think my hair grows extremely slow so for me to get an inch, I must be taking my vit. and using growth aids.

But girl, keep doing what works for your hair.;) :)

My Hair's never been that long (the shortest and scantiest in my family)- maybe shoulder length at most - but strangely enough EVERYBODY always asked me what to do to grow or look after their hair - I guess they figured I must know something since I bleached my 4a/b hair ALL the time but it still stayed on my head:confused: My sister is more impressed that my hair is THICKER than anything (I'd always been a fine haired child) so she is very much a willing guinea pig *who is mad at me for not updating her pix on my fotki*:rolleyes: . I even made my mum my sulphur mix which got her thining hair growing and thicker but she says she hasn't got 5 mins to put it on. Hopefully when I reveal my hair in December she'll get back on it.

Hey miss chica_canella and thank you so much..

1.5" is better than I thought, I'm on a 3mth stretch so hopefully I'll be APL by my next touchup in September. I started unofficially back in January with the previous APL challenge ending in June, however I didn't make it. If I make APL in September then it would have taken me 9mths to get from SL to APL.

Yes you are right seeing is believing!!!

here's a link to my fotki http://public.fotki.com/CarmelAKA/

chica_canella said:
Checks TLC's siggy again....*six months to apl*

yeah right, probably more like 3 months. You look about 1.5 inches to apl if even that.

What length did you start from?

That is funny that they thought you were once too into your hair but now listen. I think seeing is def. believing.

My grandmom was like, "Girl, why do you keep wearing those braids?" "Granny, I'm trying to grow my hair out."

Grandmom: *gives unapproving look* "Oh, ok."

My grandmom is from the old school and believes if it isn't silky straight then something is wrong.

chica_canella said:
That's interesting. I think my hair grows extremely slow so for me to get an inch, I must be taking my vit. and using growth aids.

But girl, keep doing what works for your hair.;) :)

It is not so much the number of inches for me, but that I have yet to master stretching and such. Also, I wear my hair down everyday. I don't stretch so my 8 weeks between relaxers is prime time for me to BUCK UP and get to conditioning and treating. I was reaching relaxer time too soon so that was not good either. :nono: I guess I am a light weight. :lol:

MJ said:
My hair is kinky 4 A/B and had been natural most of my life, so why is it when my relaxed hair grew past shoulder length some of my family started saying that I must have some "indian" in my blood. They also were talking about how my mom had nice hair. Dumb people:perplexed

See now, this makes my blood boil. Why, oh why, does there always have to be some underlying reason to *explain* growth of 4a/b hair?:mad:

chica_canella said:
My grandmom was like, "Girl, why do you keep wearing those braids?" "Granny, I'm trying to grow my hair out."

Grandmom: *gives unapproving look* "Oh, ok."

My grandmom is from the old school and believes if it isn't silky straight then something is wrong.

I had the same convo with my grandmother...almost word for word. :rolleyes:

Well, my hair hasn't reached APL.........yet.:cool: My hair is about collar bone length.

Anyway, my aunt and my cousins stay laughing at me because I'm a pill popper when it comes to my vits. Then don't let them see me using BT or Surge. They rolling their eyes, like I really don't have a clue about hair.

Last night, my cousin was suppose to be braiding (individuals) my hair. She spent more time OOhing and Ahhing over my hair growth than braiding it.

I was like "So, what ya'll gotta say now?":lol:

I enjoyed reading this thread. Well I consider healthy hair care my favorite hobby. I talk about hair a lot but I try not to overwhelm people and I love it so much that now I'm considering getting my license. (wow!)

Anyways a friend of mine just told me this past weekend, "Girl your hair has gotten soooo long and thick!" I told her thank you and started laughing (cause compliments make me shy) and she said, "And it shakes when you laugh! Girl I need your hair regimen right now. PLEASE tell me!"

I told her a few brief things and she wasn't satisfied so I told her I would write up a regimen. I did that for her and I hope she's on her way to healthy hair. :)

I'm only at 2 inches below collarbone length. But it's the healthies that my hair has ever been. Some of my friends have mistaken the back of my hair for a weave! I guess because it looks long and thick.

My bf is out of town and when we last visited he said at first he had to do a double take because my hair has grown soooo much that he thought I was wearing a "fall" (he remembers my fall wearing days). LOL!

These stories are great ya'll. I am about to write up a regimine for my friend cause she really wants to grow her hair out.

I want to help my other friend but I am not sure she will be really dedicated.

Nope they just still think I'm obsessed. Tell u something else too my older sister reached WL on the 4th. And my other sister now wants advice from her, yet in the beginning it was like your hair has never been past your BSL. I couldn't believe it when she told me that.

Yes! My sibs and cousins always ask about the products I use. I give advice, but I make sure to let people know that they need to find what works for them, because textures and hair care needs vary.

I've got few more inches to go (hope I get there) to reach APL. During the start of my journey family & friends did not approve of the things I did to me my hair. They would make border line insults like "You don't like your hair silky straight anymore? It looks alot better on you straight" or " Girl you need to stop waiting so long to relax your hair because you don't have the type of hair that can go without one." LOL....

Now, everytime I wear my hair in a pony tail without fail, they can't keep their hands away from the PUFF! Especially my oldest sister, she says "Gurrrllll....I you are getting a serious "real" pony tail!"

Its mostly friends or coworkers dying to know what I'm doing to my hair...Once I go into all kinds of details and give reviews on products, think they do anything with it? :rolleyes: Their loss though.

MissMadaam said:
Yes they ask but most of them dont take the advice :ohwell:

My mom does, but she always believed that I knew what I was doing. She was very supportive. I'm helping with her hair now :)
Everyone else, no, unfortuantely. They seem to think it's a result of my pigmentation somehow.

Cleve_gryl said:
Its mostly friends or coworkers dying to know what I'm doing to my hair...Once I go into all kinds of details and give reviews on products, think they do anything with it? :rolleyes: Their loss though.

I kno thats riiight it gets on my nerves

Back