Spin Off:Anyone start at EL or above and is now APL or BSL?

Hey Ladies,

This is a spin off from the thread asking what your length was when you started and what is it now. It seems the majority of the ladies started off at least SL.

I just wanted to know if there are any ladies that started of as a shortie like me and is now APL or BSL? If so, how long did it take you? How did you wear your hair when it was short?

TIA

I was thinking the same thing. My hair is currently neck length, not barely touching my shoulders. I can't claim SL:lachen: But I too have noticed most ladies have started of with SL (which is LONG to ME) or longer.

Hey Ladies,

This is a spin off from the thread asking what your length was when you started and what is it now. It seems the majority of the ladies started off at least SL.

I just wanted to know if there are any ladies that started of as a shortie like me and is now APL or BSL? If so, how long did it take you? How did you wear your hair when it was short?

TIA

I had really damaged hair, thinning, with patches in the temples and nape. I went natural for one year. First few months, I braided every 5 weeks. I nixxed that, and started wearing wigs, with my hair cornrowed underneath, because I had discovered co-washing at that point. I started cutting off relaxed ends. Eventually, around 6 months of transitioning, I chopped it all off down to about an inch or two of hair (TWA). I kept wearing the wig for another few months.

Then at one year, I relaxed - it had grown to above ear length.
I wet wrapped for a while, airdried or under dryer. Then when I discovered Caruso Steam rollers, that helped me get through the next several months, until my hair grew long enough to fit into a pony.

I did!! Last May my hair was anywhere from eye length and bottom of my ear length due to several unnecessary cuts...then by September I was creeping towards neck length and just this month I made SL...I'm hoping for APL by October! I never thought my short bob would grow and it took time with a LOT of protective styling and frequent COwashing...hang in there! I wish this thread was around when I was EL last year!:grin:

Some of my hair was ear length, some was neck length, some was nonexistent...like my front hairline and nape. I started in Jan 06 and was between APL and BSL by May 07. I chopped 6 inches at that time and now I am 1 inch from BSL (see siggie).
May 2005

January 2006

*Running to your Fotki*

D, LE, Wildchild, ZZirvingj, Silvergirl, Lavendar...
From then to now...
So inspirational! All the ladies who have come a ways from TWA or EL/CL are. Now I feel better. I just need to work on my desperation :look: and be more patient. Lovely Thread OP. :yep:

Last edited:
B4 I started my hair journey I was ear length. It later grew to neck length and 1 year later (which is now) it grew to almost apl (I think) I'm not sure if I made apl on my hair anniversary or not I have to take time and measure accurately but if not I'm really really close!

I don't have any pics at the moment, but when I started my hair journey, I had a TWA, circa ear length--neck length. This was 2005. I'm now at top of BSL, but I've been scissor happy loads of times between 2006 and now, and have chopped about 7-8 inches :drunk: (I like blunt ends) so I would have been WL or something by now :lachen:

To the OP, in a year - 2 years, you can have very long, healthy hair as long as you are consistent with your care regimen, and know what's good for your hair and what is not. It's possible :yep:

I wore cornorows and weaves, I basically followed the Crown and Glory method which contributed to retaining the length I gained. I still use this method now, and will continue to do so until I reach my MBL goal.

Happy hairgrowing :Rose:

I had really damaged hair, thinning, with patches in the temples and nape. I went natural for one year. First few months, I braided every 5 weeks. I nixxed that, and started wearing wigs, with my hair cornrowed underneath, because I had discovered co-washing at that point. I started cutting off relaxed ends. Eventually, around 6 months of transitioning, I chopped it all off down to about an inch or two of hair (TWA). I kept wearing the wig for another few months.

Then at one year, I relaxed - it had grown to above ear length.
I wet wrapped for a while, airdried or under dryer. Then when I discovered Caruso Steam rollers, that helped me get through the next several months, until my hair grew long enough to fit into a pony.

LadyEsquire, I'm interested in knowing how you styled your hair with the steam rollers. Was your hair shorter or longer than my hair at that point (my avatar pic is my current length).

I'm trying to find a way to style my hair without using heat. I have to admit that I have to flat iron my hair (eek) almost everyday for it to look presentable to me:nono:. I know its not good so I'm trying to find ways to keep the heat out of my head.

I did!! Last May my hair was anywhere from eye length and bottom of my ear length due to several unnecessary cuts...then by September I was creeping towards neck length and just this month I made SL...I'm hoping for APL by October! I never thought my short bob would grow and it took time with a LOT of protective styling and frequent COwashing...hang in there! I wish this thread was around when I was EL last year!:grin:

Congrats on your growth.

What kind of protective styling did you use when you had your short bob.

You are such an inspiration. Your hair is gorgeous!

I started off with a TWA about one inch long (as shown on the left in the pic below). The pic on the right is of my hair pressed a couple of months ago (December 07):

03versus08.jpg

As a natural, the first year - year and a half I wore my hair in a TWA and puffs w/headbands. I also got individual braids (weave) off and on for a while. From a year and a half natural to a little over three years natural, I wore mostly twists, twistouts, and braids, but only got braids a few times. From a little over three years natural to now, my staple style is a BUN, but I get it pressed on occasion.

HTH! :drunk:

Hey Ladies,

TIA
I started over with my hair. I did mini chops. So just measuring my natural hair, almost 24 months later and I would say I'm about 2" above BSB. I have been in braids primarily. I'm going to do interlocks next (I think...well some protective style). I think the sea kelp I have been taking has boasted my growth but I don't want to make a main post until I check the length in a few weeks to do a comparison.

:yep: Yup. I cut my SL relaxed hair down to a half inch long TWA in August '06. I made BSL in November '08 :grin:. My shortest layers are APL.

Back