June 2016: Hits & Misses

As far as Giovanni goes, there was never a hit. And I only used it on my relaxed hair. Now, I know things change from relaxed to natural, but ain't no way a product line that never works will magically work. Every Giovanni Product left my hair sad, dry, dull, pathetic and depressing. Nope. No thank you. Not falling down that rabbit hole for products that aren't even cheap when you find them in Marshall's or TJ Maxx

Miss:

Giovanni Direct, my hair had awesome definition, probably the best that I've had with any product. However, my hair lacked moisture and my relaxed ends were tangled. It made my natural hair look dull. I hate that look.

Kinky Curly Knot Today, I hate I got sucked into product hype. This product did nothing for my relaxed hair and does nothing for my natural hair. Again, it leaves my hair looking dull.

Both will be trashed.
Giovanni direct leave in used to be a hit yrs ago but became a huge miss last yr. It left white flakes and tangled my hair at the root which hardly ever happens to me. I lost so much hair detangling my hair over and over because it seem that my hair would tangle up again. I ended up trashing that leave in.

You know, it [Geovanni Direct Leave-In] never worked for me either lol

It always went on kinda 'chalkily', like I didn't feel much slip in that smooth, creamy way I see from V05, Hello Hydration Curl Enhancing Smoothie or any of my tried and true leave in conditioners and creams.

Plus then it just sat there and made my hair hard and as white as snow. Except now that I think about it, if it's a protein leave-in @shawnyblazes maybe that's why it made my hair hard. Hm.

@Saludable84
I'd been using it strictly as a R/O. It's delicious.:lick:

So, I decided to try it as a L-I to detangle and it is a great tangle melter. :love:

So, now I've found another use for it. I've read folks DC'ing with it. I guess it's one of those Multi-Purpose products.

I use it as a DC but when I was texlaxed I would not rinse it completely from time to time. Super soft hair.

Hit:
Got my Naturelle Grow DC (the cinnamon one) from the mailman. Smells great. I'm wondering if this is the same formulation from when I originally started using her, IDR. Still the same texture. I ordered last Friday and got it today so I'm good. I'm not opening it until I finish a couple jars of conditioner. I'm also going to refrigerate.

NurCreations is turning a darker green, so I am going to refrigerate as well because that stuff hellaexpensive. Still smells fine but still.....

Reducing my conditioner stash tremendously. I have a bottle of APB moisturizing conditioner that's my "in case of emergency" conditioner. Captain save a head. It never fails me, and there is nothing better than a good backup. Likewise with YAM. For now, I have 2 jars of Shea Moisture (HP and JBCO) that I will finish and restock on, but once I finish, I will move another DC out the closet. At the unofficial request of @Aggie it will be curl rehab :spinning:

Hit:
Got my Naturelle Grow DC (the cinnamon one) from the mailman. Smells great. I'm wondering if this is the same formulation from when I originally started using her, IDR. Still the same texture. I ordered last Friday and got it today so I'm good. I'm not opening it until I finish a couple jars of conditioner. I'm also going to refrigerate.

NurCreations is turning a darker green, so I am going to refrigerate as well because that stuff hellaexpensive. Still smells fine but still.....

Reducing my conditioner stash tremendously. I have a bottle of APB moisturizing conditioner that's my "in case of emergency" conditioner. Captain save a head. It never fails me, and there is nothing better than a good backup. Likewise with YAM. For now, I have 2 jars of Shea Moisture (HP and JBCO) that I will finish and restock on, but once I finish, I will move another DC out the closet. At the unofficial request of @Aggie it will be curl rehab :spinning:
Oooh I can't wait to hear about this one @Saludable84

FYI, ladies, just a heads up on why SiamestTwists Sweet Potatoe is such a hit for my hair. I just raved about it with the owner, who was sweet enough to create a custom order listing for me with a family size of this product and an additional product I wanted:

The Mowrah is what helps give the hair that smooth feeling.The butter itself is a pure hard butter.I can make it the same super whipped consistency and make it a day before to see how much it settles

So there you have it. Mowrah butter is the goodness. Love it!

Hit:

Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave in conditioner - this is an amazing leave in. I only had a sample which I was able to use 3 times and finished it this morning. It's very expensive but it's worth it. I may invest in getting a larger bottle.

Last edited:
FYI, ladies, just a heads up on why SiamestTwists Sweet Potatoe is such a hit for my hair. I just raved about it with the owner, who was sweet enough to create a custom order listing for me with a family size of this product and an additional product I wanted:

So there you have it. Mowrah butter is the goodness. Love it!

I saw this butter on www.newdirectionsaromatics.com @Rastafarai. I may purchase now that I've seen your review here but the ST Sweet potatoe is still on my list to purchase as well:yep:

Thanks for your review.

@AgeinATL

Shea Moisture Raw Shea and Capuacu Frizz Defense Hair Masque

So, it's not a hit or miss. I don't love or hate it. Frizz defense is just a fancy way of saying smoothing. I bought it because it says thick, wavy hair, though my hair is more the former versus latter.

Clearly it's smoothing. Which is why I stopped using Silk Dreams RCA, that was too smoothing and leaving my rollerset hair tangled still. My hair is not frizz prone so there is the problem. Now this is smoothing, but it also left my hair soft. I can live with soft.

I will see how my hair turns out during the week to really determine my like level :look:

Nah @IDareT'sHair , I didn't get it. My hair is very finicky with coconut and avocado oil being that high on the list. For some reason, avocado acts like a protein and makes my hair hard :(.

I was waiting for you to reply. I saw this item and didn't get it because I have that issue, but with coconut oil. Avocado oil is only kind to me when it's mixed with a heavier oil. I just didn't want to chance it

Miss: Design Essentials Almond and Avocado Conditioner
I used this as a rinse out after I cowashed my hair to prep it for braiding. It smelled amazing, had a decent amount of slip. When I rinsed it out, I expected it to make my hair soft. Uh-uh. :nono2:
Not only did it not make my hair soft, my hair was HARD AS HECK when it started drying. I will not be using anything else with Avocado, it acts too much like a protein on my hair.

Hit: Jakeala Love Spellz Berry soap
I got a sample with my order and I love it. My body is very meticulous about fragranced soap, even they are all natural. This is the first one that smells lovely that doesn't irritate me. Off to order a loaf.

Last edited:
Back