It's possible! 0" to SL in 1 year! (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not the cause of this thread going in the direction it did. I could have told you from the title and the first post how it was going to go. Anyone who has watched this board for a while knows where a thread is going to go. It is just the way it is.

I actually posted the chart before you did. So blame me :ohwell:

The chart has been around for a while and it is used in many of the length challenges. It is not a new thing and it is used just as a reference.

I am with you though, I leave my hair progress updates to length challenge thread.

But nothing wrong with a little discussion.

IKR? Nothing wrong with a little discussion. I feel like I just got out of a philosophy class where much is debated & discussed but nothing really resolved. :lol: It's fun at least.

Agreed. That is why I will not be posting too many specifics when I am finally completely natural. But then again, I might for the shoots and giggles:lachen::lachen: I wonder what diagram would be used to determine what constitutes a big chop? :lachen::lachen:

But seriously though, I think it is so great that OP's hair is where she never imagined it would be. I will be so excited for when she meets her next hair goals :yep::yep:

ITA with the bolded.

Ladybelle

I just answered your question in my previous post. If OP's hair was just barely touching her shoulders - what normal people call shoulders - it would be grazing SL. If the bulk of her hair rested on her shoulders when straightened/stretched, it would be SL or full SL without the need for a debate.

Touching the bottom of your neck or just barely below it is neck length. Again, people are giving examples of 10-inch+ shrinkage (which type 3s and 4s have) but the OP does (edit- I meant does not) have 10 inches of hair (judging from the pictures), so the examples referencing 6-10 inches of shrinkage are irrelevant to this discussion.

Should I jump in and say the shoulder (girdle)=clavicle [collar bone] + scapula [shoulder blade] so saying SL is clavicle level is actually correct, anatomically speaking of course. Lol, ijs.

This is the most EPIC shoulder length thread ever! That is all.

No way. The thread where the crowd said some poor woman could not claim shoulder length because she had no neck (fat head) is the most EPIC shoulder length thread ever. :lol:

No way. The thread where the crowd said some poor woman could not claim shoulder length because she had no neck (fat head) is the most EPIC shoulder length thread ever. :lol:

say what now?? :lachen: I bet that was a mess.

and O/t at your siggie: congrats on your weight loss, that's the bomb.com!! :)

I guess if I ever post my progress I'll just leave out what length I'm claiming.... Congrats on your growth Charla! I hope this doesn't discourage u from posting in the future. I loooove progress pics!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Lol, you're absolutely right! I can't believe it went there like that.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Ok, that is ignorant. However, I understand after a year on LHCF how a thread can turn into a hot steaming cow pie :(

Okay now someone needs to post a link to THAT discussion. This kind of entertainment and some of us might pay for a monthly subscription! LOL :creatures

Can you imagine if some chicks said that about your progress pics? :nono: LOL :computer:

Thanks for such kind words and encouragement and support! I'm looking forward to APL since I've never had hair that long!

When I left this comment this morning about (60+ posts ago!), I really thought that would be the end of this thread. Wow, was I wrong.

I attended a funeral today of a 93-year-old man, and my DH and I were discussing the societal changes he must have experienced in his lifetime. It was really a sobering discussion and quite a reality check in that things we think are important today aren’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

Reaching SL as a natural is a huge accomplishment for me, and I know others felt the same way before. No one knows the patience and care, trial and error and daily dedication it took for me to achieve that. My hair is healthy, strong and thick. I wanted to share this HUGE accomplishment for me with people who have as great an interest in hair health as I do. I especially wanted to share it with the ladies who aren’t there yet and wondering if there hair will ever grow because that’s EXACTLY how I felt for about the first 6 months of my HHJ, which began the day I got my last relaxer and viscerally knew relaxers weren’t for me anymore.

With all that being said, none of this matter in the grand scheme of things. My obituary won’t say “She made SL in October 2011.” And it won’t matter to any of you next in a day or two.

Nonetheless, this thread only inspires me further to keep up what I’ve been doing, share my successes and new thresholds whenever I choose, and as always expect the expected on this forum.

And once again, thanks for all the encouragement, support and kind words.

Charla - HUNNNNEEEEEE I LIVE!!

My only regret is that there isn't enough space under my siggy to quote your post for all of eternity :(

Keep doing you honey, cuz it's clearly working :wink2:

My issue with the op claiming SL is not that that portion of her hair is not technically SL, but that I thought on this forum we claimed a length when the majority or at least a good portion of our hair reached that point. It seems to me from the op's pics that the part of her hair she is pulling down is probably the only portion of her hair resting on her shoulders.

If the op straightened her hair I assume it would look similar to this:

Bangs20.jpg

thumbnails_19232.gif

IMO, to publicly claim SL one should have more than just the nape layer resting on their shoulders.

rb-medium-length-layers-16-0809-de.jpg

ashley_greene_shoulder_length_hairstyle.jpg

Mid-Length-Hair-Styles-4.jpg

I guess that is why the term "full SL" was adopted, because it really doesn't makes sense to claim it before that time. A person with 3 inches of hair all around can not be shoulder length imo.

*I'm not hating on the op, nor am I bitter. I've already made APL-- full...I hate on BSB or longer ladies only now. :lol: j/k.

Interesting thread. The OP has great growth but I think it's best if we measure hair in inches on our hair growth journey. It allows us to to accurately track our hair growth/retention.

Although technically that would be the most accurate if we were trying to prove something (ex: Can 1 month of minoval 2x/day increase my growth rate significantly), i don't think this site should be focusing at proving something. I think requiring a measurement for someone to post their progress is a lill too much. And i know that after i take down weave/braids, wash, deep condition,.. i'm tired and even taking pics is a task much less finding out how i'm gonna measure it and hold the ruler down and take pic all by myself.

I know that you didn't suggest that this be a requirement :yep:, but i'm just saying, just in case someone else does.

In all, this should be for fun, and as long as OP doesn't make ridiculous claims or starts comparing bang lenth as start pic and nape length as end pic then we should all accept the "small" nuances of these definitions.

The world is relative,.. maybe instead of calling it "length" check, we should call it "distance check" :grin: That way we would all be scientifically correct if we maintain constant variables :yep:

I guess that is why the term "full SL" was adopted, because it really doesn't makes sense to claim it before that time. A person with 3 inches of hair all around can not be shoulder length imo.

*I'm not hating on the op, nor am I bitter. I've already made APL-- full...I hate on BSB or longer ladies only now. :lol: j/k.

Good point. Actually, sl and full sl are two different lines on those charts. I never saw OP refer to being full SL. I have also seen people claim APL and then state full APL as their next goal. I would say the majority of length checks I see here are from the back and the poster declares their lenghth by the longest portion of their hair "in the back". I see very few threads where people actually say to a person who has made MBL or beyond with a portion of their hair that they can't claim it because the majority of their hair is not that length. I guess that is why I don't see why that is necessary in this thread. But

The great thing is OP will be full SL full APL and definitely one of the long hair idols soon because her reggie is on point!

NOTE TO ALL NEWBIES OR UNINITIATED LHCFERS:

Be at leas 2 inches PAST the stated goal so that you won't get the side eye. :lol:

i started here at SL and was so excited that i claimed APL several months later even though my hair was layered. i just put it in my siggy at the time. if i had posted a thread it probably would've been like this thread. Some ladies may be 'haters' but i think LHCF has just made many of us attentive to details.

Charla can you include yo' shoulders in the pics so I don't have to go borrowing some for you.

ClearlyCharlaisatshoulders-vi.png

Also since folks can't see that your hair was at the end of neck length 2 months ago, I've gone and made you a progress pic that's comparable to the August one, showing you at an inch later. ;)
Progresspicsletsjustsay_-vi.png

So when you get it really straight and you feel a bug walking on the top of your back, don't panic. It's just that swang tickling your back. Takes some getting used to.

Ithink the problem w SL is there is a "top of shoulder"--like riiiight after the neck and then there is a "tip of shoulder"--like where you arm begins. Ithink collerbone length and armpit length are both bettr descriptors--w the Op being collarbone.
Great progress btw!

Obviously the most recent pic, if you were to stretch it, it would indeed be SL anyways. I knew that without lookin too hard. But y'all had to go in there and nitpick, and Y'all done conjured Nonie out her corner knowing she was gonna come and set y'all straight...

Someone earlier said, she didn't want to lie to her--well, no one is lying to OP to make her feel better.... And everyone disagreeing with her claim didn't help no one by "coming to her rescue" by informing her that she is not quite SL (cause u like to keep it REAL)....Are you trying to call us fake???? (rolls eyes) UGH....

Good growth OP!

Obviously the most recent pic, if you were to stretch it, it would indeed be SL anyways. I knew that without lookin too hard. But y'all had to go in there and nitpick, and Y'all done conjured Nonie out her corner knowing she was gonna come and set y'all straight...

Someone earlier said, she didn't want to lie to her--well, no one is lying to OP to make her feel better.... And everyone disagreeing with her claim didn't help no one by "coming to her rescue" by informing her that she is not quite SL (cause u like to keep it REAL)....Are you trying to call us fake???? (rolls eyes) UGH....

Good growth OP!

I wasn't the one that said it but to interject, yes some posters are fake. How many times do some of them come into this forum and THANK others to their hearts delight, making comments they KNOW they don't mean? Yet they make snarky remarks in other sections tombout they can't stand when posters raise up their bra straps, position their necks in certain ways or whatever other methods they use to create fraudulent length? So you're going to front like you've never seen this? Let there have been a Random Thought thread in Off Topic and someone would have alluded to the delusional poster as subtly as they could without Making Da Banned.

Thanks and agreement mean ish! And not for nothing, some posters are notorious for starting ish. The one who disagreed if you pay attention to her font is not that sorta person.

People can post all the diagrams they want. I can create one too and call SL the NEW BSL! Does that make it correct? What part of SHOULDER length does not indicate the hair should be COMFORTABLY touching the shoulder? Let me go and twist into a pretzel and force my poor strands to touch my bra-strap and claim BSL! Of course, I will use a diagram to indicate the truth. :rolleyes:

I wasn't the one that said it but to interject, yes some posters are fake. How many times do some of them come into this forum and THANK others to their hearts delight, making comments they KNOW they don't mean? Yet they make snarky remarks in other sections tombout they can't stand when posters raise up their bra straps, position their necks in certain ways or whatever other methods they use to create fraudulent length? So you're going to front like you've never seen this? Let there have been a Random Thought thread in Off Topic and someone would have alluded to the delusional poster as subtly as they could without Making Da Banned.

Thanks and agreement mean ish! And not for nothing, some posters are notorious for starting ish. The one who disagreed if you pay attention to her font is not that sorta person.

People can post all the diagrams they want. I can create one too and call SL the NEW BSL! Does that make it correct? What part of SHOULDER length does not indicate the hair should be COMFORTABLY touching the shoulder? Let me go and twist into a pretzel and force my poor strands to touch my bra-strap and claim BSL! Of course, I will use a diagram to indicate the truth. :rolleyes:

I hear you (many people are fake about the thanks they give), but I don't like when people paint every1 trying to be encouraging as fake. For many it comes from a genuine place. I will agree that some people make fraudulent claims but that's not the case here... And if it is fraudulent, what is it to every1 else what she claims? There is no Hair Length Police on LHCF!!!! When I see some1 make a claim that I think is not quite there yet, I either move on, or say "good growth"---as many did here....what purpose does it serve to "check" somebody on their growth? All that dialogue about "twisting into a pretzel", is just yada yada to me----makes no point or any sense. I am just saying all the arguing serves no purpose. We are supposed to be encouraging each other. In an environment such as this, where so many people are struggling to get through their journey, the last thing we need is the Length Police checking for the right spot for the hair to land.....let people see the charts, examine themselves and claim what they want to claim. The rest is just negativity making the things people hear about this site true indeed. JMHO... No shade to you Lucie....just a lil rant....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back